Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2012 Weekly Contest Presents: Double Dragon Contest ends Sunday, 2/19/12 at 10 PM NA time

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:25:00 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
Originally posted by: 2Legit28Bit

just in time

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Better later than never

It's always nice to see constant players submitting score!

-------------------------

Edited: 02/19/2012 at 10:31 PM by guillavoie

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:35:47 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Tom post your master plan! You must have had something written down.

Myself, I was consistently able to score 2800 on Mission 1 including the bosses. Mission 2 was more variable but I usually scored between 1700 and 2000. After that I had to play to survive so I couldn't really keep track.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:51:22 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
(Megan Roberts) < Ridley Wrangler >
North Carolina

Mission 2 can be beaten without earning a single point. Kill the boxboys, the Ropers at the start with the box, no points earned. Make the William throw the dynamite, pick it up, back off, let him follow, run past him, climb fence, kill batboy William with dynamite, no points earned. Jump down other side of fence, make two Williams appear, quickly run back and climb fence, scroll them off screen, come back they are gone, but one more William comes out, do the same with him. Next are the Lindas, climb the ladders to scroll them off screen, up or down, so long as you distance yourself enough they'll all be gone without a fight. Then with the Chintai, climb up, door opens, he steps out to stand in your way, let him stand and wait, just climb back down to end the mission. Mission 2 is by far the easiest to clear and the only one that I know of that you can beat with no points earned.

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:59:31 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
The first level is fairly similar. You can kill the Rowpers halfway through with the barrel which doesn't give you any points and when you get to the room with the other two Rowpers and the Abobo you can get them to fall off the conveyer belt without even touching them.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:02:06 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
At the very end of the first level before you enter the warehouse, if you climb the side of the building, you can get the Lindas to follow you up there and then they will disappear. I got all but one to disappear that way.

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:03:52 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

Didn't do that trick with the wall in mission 1 because I felt it too much of a glitch to be acceptable, because you are moving in a way that is out of the ordinary, going where you shouldn't be able to go, should've asked about it but never considered it until now. Figured scrolling or throwing enemies off screen or knocking them through walls was enough. But I was able to scroll most of the Lindas off screen, so as to only fight a couple opposed to all of them.

Most of the enemies on the outside beginning part of mission 3 can be scrolled off screen, but I've always had a hard time being consistent with it, only being able to do it with some of them all the time and others rarely. The green Abobos in the cave can be knocked through the wall with a single hit each, my problem is making sure I don't accidentally headbutt them (that always pisses me off, hate the headbutt move). The group of Lindas on the next screen can all be avoided for no points.

Mission 4, I usually don't have any serious problem with the wall, but it has gotten me a few times, the way I get around it is to just rush forward, jump over the first block and hope I make it, and if I take a hit, back up for a moment then continue forward again. Try throwing and knocking the Chintai into the pit without hitting them too much, avoid the Abobo completely by climbing the wall, knock or throw the Ropers over the cliff. Avoid any fighting on the platforming area, throw all of the Williams on the next screen, then its the final battles against the gauntlet of pain in the asses that are there to dwindle your health down before Willy smears the walls with your blood. But the plan for Willy, if I can actually perform it well enough, kick to stun, grab a handful of hair, smash him a few times, toss and repeat, but it don't usually work out so well for me.

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:28:59 AM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
(post removed due to tournament)

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Edited: 01/13/2014 at 12:18 PM by rdrunner

Feb 20, 2012 at 2:36:40 AM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

What do you mean by elbow punches? I thought the elbow move isn't learned until later, meaning you have to kill and earn points to earn it? Or something I don't know about?

Until I learned some better moves, most of my regular attacks were kicks (4 kicks to do in Williams and Lindas, 5 for Ropers, don't bother counting for anyone else because I used combination of kicks with jump kicks, at least until the hair pull move is learned, but after a while I wasn't learning that until the Roper group in the last mission), learn how many it takes to defeat each opponent, kick them exactly the amount of times needed to take 'em down, that is if I have no other way of dispatching them such as throwable weapon, water or cliff or scrolling off screen.

Okay, never mind to my question, been experimenting tonight, and I'm going to take a good guess that either you used the invisible Williams glitch to rack up experience points with punches so that you could earn the elbow move very early in the game. Points end up high at first, but after acquiring the advanced moves, defeating foes later with the elbow move will yield less points because it doesn't give any much but takes enemies down quickly. Or you just punched all enemies during normal gameplay which would work too, just put one at more risk of getting clobbered by counterattacks, either way, good plan. Thought never occurred to me as I was trying to save points from the start, not thinking, actually, not knowing that certain moves attacked with yielded a certain amount of experience points, and this is why my score is not as low, I didn't study well enough.

Did the getting the whole elbow thing early, and while scores were higher at first, it balanced out in the end, I got near to the end of the game (but lost, imagine that, had more moves and messed up worst, got too used to doing it with less) with pretty much the same kind of score that I had doing it the hard way, so I take it I just missed a lot of enemy skipping opportunities, well actually I know I did.

Edited: 02/20/2012 at 05:23 AM by Miss Clawful

Feb 20, 2012 at 12:37:15 PM
rdrunner (35)
North Carolina
(post removed due to tournament)

Tom Votava

Edited: 01/13/2014 at 12:18 PM by rdrunner

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:45:25 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
This makes a lot of sense Tom.

I actually thought about point racking to get the elbow earlier in the game, but I tried too much to point rack only while beating up enemies that it ended up to be semi-effective. I should had simply point racked like you did, and it would not only lowered my score but also make the rest of the run so much easier. My fault for not trying it fully at least one time.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:46:13 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

Yep, figured that since I tried it out and knew for certain your strategy then. Again my problem is that I jump right into playing and don't really take the time to study, its just that I'm so used to just flat out beating games only that I totally suck at finding ways to score high, or in this case low.

You know, I don't know why, but I never bothered to try to pin Willy ever during the contest. Could've beat him last game if I had. I had tried to pin Willy, as well as Jimmy the first couple times I beat the game years ago and it didn't work (must've been off in my position for Willy that I walked down through him) and just assumed that he was like the Abobos and Jimmy, that he was too powerful to be pinned. Have no clue really as to why I never tried it again. What an idiot I am.

You want to see ultimate failure, watch this, played a great game and totally screwed myself in the end:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:51:48 PM
rdrunner (35)
North Carolina
Ouch! Looks painful. Kudos for beating this game without the elbows on your final score. It's really tough to do!

Tom Votava

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:28:08 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Miss Clawful

Yep, figured that since I tried it out and knew for certain your strategy then. Again my problem is that I jump right into playing and don't really take the time to study, its just that I'm so used to just flat out beating games only that I totally suck at finding ways to score high, or in this case low.

You know, I don't know why, but I never bothered to try to pin Willy ever during the contest. Could've beat him last game if I had. I had tried to pin Willy, as well as Jimmy the first couple times I beat the game years ago and it didn't work (must've been off in my position for Willy that I walked down through him) and just assumed that he was like the Abobos and Jimmy, that he was too powerful to be pinned. Have no clue really as to why I never tried it again. What an idiot I am.

You want to see ultimate failure, watch this, played a great game and totally screwed myself in the end:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Your Part 2 rant from 9:19 on puts the AVGN to shame! I still insist that you need to make a clip of just that part and post it on YouTube for everybody!

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Edited: 02/20/2012 at 10:29 PM by bearcat-doug

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:23:46 PM
Miss Clawful (19)
North Carolina

Now this is kinda around what my score should've looked like (still would've gotten 4th place but at least it would've looked a hell of a lot better) if I hadn't screwed up near the end of the contest. I so wanted to do this then. I know too late now, but I just had to beat this one without dying and get a nice score, I felt the game was laughing at me for my failure before, I'm sure it still is being past the contest, but at least I got some satisfaction from finally whooping it. Still played it much the way I had then to reenact the event, low score through entire game, no point racking, very few moves...I actually found I like playing it this way, kinda makes it feel like when I play Castlevania whip only or Shatterhand fist only, its challenging. I could've had an even lower score but messed up on some fights, hitting enemies too much due to their stubbornness, Williams in particular in the cave and near the end, but now I can rest easy, put this game away for a while, I had a personal vendetta that I just had to bring to a close. I feel so much better now.

Belated lowest score upon beating game without dying 32,890 - 10,000 point bonus = 22,890

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:20:33 PM
rdrunner (35)
North Carolina
Redemption! Nice work!

Tom Votava