NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

AVS Edge Connector Update

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:13:04 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: quiet451

It's fine and I'll live, but your ETA was slightly different than what I was told.  I have owned my AVS for 7 months now with this problem.  When I e-mailed in October I was told in an e-mail

"we are aiming to have the replacement connector be very cheap(shipping costs) or even free.  The new pin connector is still at least a couple of months away at this time"

To me "at least a couple months" means 2-3 months (December or January), not 6-8 months.

I love everything RetroUSB has done and I'm very happy with my system.  I use a game genie adapter to get my green strip games to play.  It's literally 30 seconds of additional work if I pull a green strip game off of my shelf.  It's just a minor annoyance that there is no official statement or timeline for the repair as far as I can tell.

I'm guessing you never reached out for an update, because the retroUSB Facebook page pointed out on January 26th that the wireless controllers & next run of AVS (which was batched with the new connectors) missed getting out before Chinese New Year.  The specific estimate provided was not "until at least April," which was amended to possibly as early as March (doubtful) but possibly as late as May (probable due to shipping times).  bunnyboy has always been great about letting everyone know when new updates occur, so the lack of a big announcement (which at this point would have apparently been "Hey, just keep waiting, they haven't shipped" several times) speaks to no new ETA being available.

The March to May estimate came from this thread on Feburary 18th (second post).  If you're not reaching out directly (or actively checking up on an ETA, ie: this thread & Facebook), don't grump so hard about it.  For a minor annoyance (that we're all dealing with, and have been since launch in many cases, myself included), you sound(ed) awfully bitter about it.

-------------------------
Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:05:20 PM
RetroUSB Support (1)
(RetroUSB Support) < Crack Trooper >
United States

It's just a minor annoyance that there is no official statement or timeline for the repair as far as I can tell.

Time line is currently spring-summer. AVS consoles and new NES pin connectors are in manufacturing.

Once there is a solid ETA it will be posted at our site on the AVS product page and also on our facebook and twitter pages.

For help or if you have any questions please use the e-mail address found on our contact page

Edited: 04/10/2017 at 05:05 PM by RetroUSB Support

Apr 10, 2017 at 6:46:17 PM
quiet451 (45)
(Schlitz Barrelman) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: RetroUSB Support

It's just a minor annoyance that there is no official statement or timeline for the repair as far as I can tell.

Time line is currently spring-summer. AVS consoles and new NES pin connectors are in manufacturing.

Once there is a solid ETA it will be posted at our site on the AVS product page and also on our facebook and twitter pages.
Thank you, I appreciate the update!  I will keep an eye out before autumn rolls around.  Please keep us posted.

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:28:42 PM
avlon (2)
< Crack Trooper >
New York
I look forward to the new pin connector. Can anyone state what will be different with the new connector? Same material, but longer pins?

Check out my Youtube Channel @ https://goo.gl/KuSvJc !! Thank you! 

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:33:36 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Yeah, longer pins to get a better connection past the green stripe.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:34:51 PM
Brachabre (9)
(Weiner Tacos) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Are the upcoming AVS' being manufactured right now going to have this improved connector?

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:39:37 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Yes, and the USB port will be reinforced, so that issue will also be addressed.

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:33:58 AM
Dr Manhattan (2)
< Tourian Tourist >
California
Originally posted by: Tulpa

I almost want to sell my launch model AVS because of this. I really don't want to open my console, install the new connector, and have to deal with installing the new 3D printed brace. 

On the other hand, I'm worried about selling it because what if the second batch is somehow inferior to the original model? I very much doubt this scenario, but sometimes being an early adapopter has its advantages. 

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:41:48 PM
Brachabre (9)
(Weiner Tacos) < Lolo Lord >
Texas

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:47:26 PM
2A03 (8)
(Ben U.) < Crack Trooper >
California
Originally posted by: Dr Manhattan
I almost want to sell my launch model AVS because of this. I really don't want to open my console, install the new connector, and have to deal with installing the new 3D printed brace.
It's a really simple process though, you literally just plug the new connector in. Really not worth the hassle of selling it and then buying it again. Also depending on when you bought yours, the USB port may already be reinforced. I bought mine at PRGE and it already had the two screws to help secure the USB port.

Edited: 04/16/2017 at 02:26 PM by 2A03

Apr 26, 2017 at 1:33:48 PM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Any updates on the rollout for this bad boy? I'm more than happy to press Tetris in with my left thumb (it works), but some of my homebrew carts with shorter boards take a lot of work to get running.

Retro Tech Select
Check out my YouTube Channel for old-school gaming goodness!

Apr 26, 2017 at 1:45:57 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: StuOhQ

Any updates on the rollout for this bad boy? I'm more than happy to press Tetris in with my left thumb (it works), but some of my homebrew carts with shorter boards take a lot of work to get running.
It's coming with the next shipment and are manufacturing now along with the next batch of AVSes, but they were delayed by the Chinese New Year. This summer is the best guess.

May 22, 2017 at 5:58:14 AM
atse (0)
< Cherub >
Is there any tips how to strengthen the connector.

Thinking about putting some epoxy glue around the mini-usb and around the PCB.

Anyone knows if its a good idea? Are Epoxy to harsh on the PCB? Hot glue are quite flimsy i think.

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:24:50 PM
Kid Dynamite (1)
< Tourian Tourist >
California
Any update on the replacement edge connector?

Jun 18, 2017 at 12:15:57 PM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Originally posted by: Austin

Good news--I received my (replacement?) AVS the other day. First thing I did was crack it open to check the USB port. Looks like there are now two rods next to the USB port with tiny nuts keeping it secure in place. It feels way more solid now. I'm not sure if this is a new permanent design update, but if it is, it's great news for future AVS owners. If any early adopters have issues, just reach out to RetroUSB's email support and they will help you out.

Good to know. I'm always very careful when moving my AVS for this reason. It's reassuring to know that I won't be on my own if something happens. 

Retro Tech Select

Edited: 06/18/2017 at 12:19 PM by StuOhQ

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:47:59 PM
quiet451 (45)
(Schlitz Barrelman) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Did the replacement connectors come in yet?

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:51:24 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Not yet. When the new AVSes come in, so will the connectors.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:41:26 PM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington
Patience is a virtue I'm learning to master here lol. Loving my AVS in the meantime.

Retro Tech Select

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:27:17 PM
Tsurugi_Takuma (0)
(Nicklas ) < Little Mac >
Sweden
Do we know what the plan for these are? Will they be shipped out to us who bought rev 1? And will we get the USB brace at the same time in that case? I still haven't moved my unit since setting it up last September out of fear that I would snap it loose. I know that a replacement would probably be sent, but the wait for one would be horrible 😁

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:31:17 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I think we'll know when the ship comes in.

Aug 18, 2017 at 2:36:20 PM
Tsurugi_Takuma (0)
Sweden

Ok, so still a well kept secret 👍 Cheers 🍻

Aug 18, 2017 at 3:05:16 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Tsurugi_Takuma

Actually, no, Bunnyboy posted the ship tracker link in the other thread. You'll see exactly when it arrives.

Aug 18, 2017 at 7:47:23 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia

Its not a secret. A batch of connectors only are coming in specifically for replacements. Somewhere on facebook it said they will be on the website once the time comes.  I am sure official info will be posted once available also. 

Edited: 08/18/2017 at 07:47 PM by Mog

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:16:32 AM
Tsurugi_Takuma (0)
Sweden

Actually, no, Bunnyboy posted the ship tracker link in the other thread. You'll see exactly when it arrives.

Yupp, that one I saw on Facebook. But I was referring to the process how we early adopters could get a fully functional AVS.
Don't get me wrong, I love the AVS and my 2 wireless controllers, Brian did a solid job!

But I'll stop rocking the boat and wait it out instead, thank you for your reply.

@Mog: Thanks, I'll check FB!

Edited: 08/19/2017 at 02:18 AM by Tsurugi_Takuma

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:23:42 PM
StuOhQ (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Washington

Last I heard it should be coming along on the next shipment of AVSes. March to May, assuming everything moves along.

Man, oh man, did we ever miss that window. Has there been any word recently?

EDIT: .........and then I see the last few posts lol. 

Retro Tech Select

Edited: 08/19/2017 at 12:25 PM by StuOhQ