Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Any suggestions for preventing back-dooring through ebay?

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:17:34 AM
Deal Donkey (103)
(Lady Bug) < Meka Chicken >
United States
This guy has won a BUNCH of stuff that iv lost out on. Hes quick. I know for a fact it wasnt casually relisted because I see something else I was backdoored on. This guy is a scumbag.

-------------------------
Follow me on Twitter to see underpriced video games

or PM your want list

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:19:27 AM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: Anniemay83

This guy has won a BUNCH of stuff that iv lost out on. Hes quick. I know for a fact it wasnt casually relisted because I see something else I was backdoored on. This guy is a scumbag.

He is probably looking at your buying history on ebay.

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:55:20 AM
Deal Donkey (103)
United States
Originally posted by: pats1717

Iv been meaning to make that private. Well I guess its a lost cause :\ Cant win em all

or PM your want list

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:21:21 AM
GhaleonsDeadMyFriend (137)
(Ghaleon's Dead My Friend) < El Ripper >
United States

Originally posted by: pats1717

Iv been meaning to make that private. Well I guess its a lost cause :\ Cant win em all

Buying history is unique from feedback.  Even if your feedback is private, anyone can look up what you've bought in the last 30 days.  For example, here is ropupela's.

edit: if nothing shows up through that link, you'll need to look it up manually. There seems to be a security measure in place by eBay to prevent bots from doing this, but it's located under Advanced Search > Find a Bidder.

Edited: 04/16/2012 at 10:24 AM by GhaleonsDeadMyFriend

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:31:33 AM
sosagames (130)
(Daniel Foote) < Meka Chicken >
Indiana
It is possible the new buyer is an innocent observer who saw the buy it now pop up. Someone undoubtedly offered the seller more but may not have gotten to the listing in time as it sold fast the 2nd time too.

I got back doored on an Urban Champion complete just a few days ago. I told him I'd have no choice but to leave a negative if he backed out. He still backed out and he got a negative, nothing more you can do other than that. I have sympathy for the inadvertent typo in the price but not back dooring.

http://stores.ebay.com/sosagames...

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:43:43 AM
rarebucky (178)

(Adam Buchwald) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Does anyone know who this ropupela is?

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:16:42 PM
Starwander (144)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(William Hoskinson) < Meka Chicken >
Colorado
No way to get around it.

Always buying copies of Crystal Mine. Carts, manuals, boxes, CIB and sealed I want them all.

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:35:06 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: rarebucky

Does anyone know who this ropupela is?

This person is a member here and the mod squad is investigating.

Apr 16, 2012 at 2:18:48 PM
Deal Donkey (103)
United States

Here is the other backdoor ( this one hurts ) for those of you asking about it. Still would have paid the new price if only the seller asked. Ugh.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180824511...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI....

or PM your want list

Apr 16, 2012 at 2:26:38 PM
Arkturus (80)
(Brian Koo) < Lolo Lord >
California
I've had it happen a couple times but what're you going to do about it. Maybe you can investigate the few that do it if they're linked to NA but your SOL regardless.

Playing Clash of Clans Hardcore - If your in-game and looking for a clan we're recruiting - PM me with details

Apr 16, 2012 at 2:29:03 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Is this that same copy then?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Man-...

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Apr 16, 2012 at 2:29:50 PM
rarebucky (178)

(Adam Buchwald) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States

Here is the other backdoor ( this one hurts ) for those of you asking about it. Still would have paid the new price if only the seller asked. Ugh.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180824511315#ht_500wt_1415

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1808...

The person that backdoored you is a member here and it was re-linked here when they had it VGA'd.

Apr 16, 2012 at 2:39:01 PM
Deal Donkey (103)
United States
who is it? Very not nice thing to do.

or PM your want list

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:10:15 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Originally posted by: cheeseforalgernon

You could file suit against the seller in their home state.  You'd probably have to subpoena eBay for their information, but you would have a strong case.  By listing an auction with a 'buy it now' pricing option, the seller created a unilateral contract, which you entered into by purchasing the item.  By reselling it to another buyer on a later date, the seller violated your contract and would be liable for the cost of replacing the item.
But you would have to show actual damages.  The buyer gets their money back so they aren't out anything.  Only damages would be if you had already sold the item for a profit once you won the auction (but before you had the item), so you could show the loss of that profit.  

Getting the info from eBay shouldn't be a problem once there is an actual case.  Filing the case does not require you to know the identity either.

Apr 16, 2012 at 4:38:40 PM
cheeseforalgernon (1)
(Dave L) < Cherub >
Illinois
Originally posted by: bunnyboy
But you would have to show actual damages.  The buyer gets their money back so they aren't out anything.  Only damages would be if you had already sold the item for a profit once you won the auction (but before you had the item), so you could show the loss of that profit. 

In a breach of contract suit, the damages are known as compensatory damages.  The courts will try to 'compensate' the plaintiff by putting him or her in a situation that would be equal to having the contract carried out.  So the damages in this case would be the value of a complete Earthbound minus $60(because the judge isn't just going to give you the Earthbound; the seller will get the consideration that they were entitled to under the original contract, which is the $60).  The hardest part would probably be determining the value of a complete Earthbound, which I believe the plaintiff would have the burden of proving.

In any event, unless the seller and buyer live in the same state, it's most likely economically unfeasible to bring the suit.

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:47:03 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
My biggest suggestion is buy it, pay for it immediately, dont say a word, and pray it gets there and dont post it anywhere till it does. lol not much you can do.

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:19:48 PM
domiy (0)

(Nint Endo) < Little Mac >
New South Wales
I don't see this as half as big of an issue on eBay than last-second bidding is. eBay are really being kind of selfish by reverting back to letting people see the exact time an auction ends. They should keep the exact ending time hidden, only revealing the actual day it ends and not the exact second. It's hardly even an auction site anymore unless you bid on an item which virtually nobody else wants. People don't bother putting in their max bids until the very last second to ensure they can't be outbid. It's annoying being the high bidder for 4 days straight and finding out you've been outbid a split second before it ends with no time to reassess it. It's basically a contest of who's the smartest and quickest to the finger.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:36:12 PM
NES (34)
(Claira J) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
FYI, that backdoor buyer is a member here. Im not sure what their username is, but I do know they are a member here.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:21:15 AM
NES Kingpin (51)
(Mikey Hogan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
I'm Ropupela on ebay I just now got the chance to reply...I got home late from work one day and saw this buy it now my immediate natural reaction was to get it as fast as I could after I purchased the item the seller sent me a message about not having money for shipping and wanting feedback before I recieved Earthbound I declined to do that and proceeded to submit my payment. I have now realized by reading this thread what happened I would Never backdoor anyone under any circumstances this is unfortunate that it happened but I had no involvment in the original post and like any of you would of done I saw what I thought was a great deal and got it before I lost out on it.

Support your Local Youtubers, They do what we do but film it

http://www.youtube.com/user/Captain8Bit

GAME CHASERS

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:34:11 AM
Laserman (179)

(Joe ) < Bowser >
Oklahoma
Did you mention to the seller that they could pay for the shipping via PayPal as soon as you paid them? It seems strange that you would not mention that or that the seller was clueless of this option.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:37:20 AM
NES (34)
(Claira J) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
^Buyers may not realize this if they do not sell. It's not like its something advertized on ebay's homepage or anything. And either way, you still need a scale in order to do online printable shipping.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:49:44 AM
Robin Mihara (106)
(Robin Mihara) < Bowser >
Oregon
Do what I do to avoid getting back-doored. Every single time you buy.... overpay by like 50%. I never felt so safe.

www.ecstasyoforder.com...

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:56:13 AM
Minister Mishkin (68)
(Andy R) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Did you buy that Mega Man also then? I'm so confused, this thread has been all over.

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:23:58 AM
Deal Donkey (103)
United States
Well now I feel better about it.

congrats on the EB win.

or PM your want list

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:15:20 AM
NES Kingpin (51)
(Mikey Hogan) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
Originally posted by: TheClassicVideoGamer

Did you buy that Mega Man also then? I'm so confused, this thread has been all over.

Hell No! But I wish i was the one who caught that. Im what I call a low budget Collector.

Support your Local Youtubers, They do what we do but film it

http://www.youtube.com/user/Captain8Bit

GAME CHASERS