Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Stores that don't exist anymore Ready to go back in time?

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:59:35 AM
Faltain1 (112)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(~Faltain~ ) < King Solomon >
United States
If I could go back in time I would have bought out my local Funcolands of all their SNES obscurities/rarities... and never traded in my SNES collection there way back when.

Hindsight is 20/20 though!

As an aside: I knew all the stores as I'm in the North Eastern US myself. Used to have a Bradless, Kay Bee, Caldor and a Little Brown (similar style store) all in my immediate area... now all gone.

-------------------------
To-do manuals: Arabian Knights, Gulliver Boy, Dark Law, Brandish 2, Flying Hero
Finished manuals: Neugier, Wonder Project J, Burning Heroes, Star Ocean, FEDA, Monstania, Chaos Seed

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:07:49 AM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
I say the same thing of Funcoland. While I never gave them anything, how I wish I bought every single thing they had to offer. The place was SO cheap and had SO much, and there were DOZENS in my area within 100 miles!

Edited: 08/16/2013 at 11:49 PM by Trj22487

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:31:10 AM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland

Best was where I got my Sega Game Gear and few Nintendo games. We had one in MD. Loved going to the electronic department.

Man, Caldor...the one stop for not only games but school supplies and clothes.
Might I suggest Kiddie City too. I couldn't find a good picture but I remember the store with the same design. They had the Kangaroo as their mascot. Remember getting Legos and a few Nintendo games since they were sometimes cheaper than Toys R Us.

Edited: 07/30/2013 at 07:31 AM by Caleb47

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:09:05 AM
TENGEN (177)
(DK ) < King Solomon >
New York
Child World! I forgot about that one. I remember they had a $9.99 sale on NES games with some good titles in the ad. Convinced my parents to drive me there and they had only things like Taboo and Hunt for Red October left. Ahh memories...

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:35:51 AM
uiengineer (220)
(jeff .) < King Solomon >
Illinois
we will be talking about best buy like this in a few years. cool thread here. i miss funcoland.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:11:27 AM
Chux (12)
(Chuck Forrester) < Eggplant Wizard >
Maryland
No love for Egghead Software?

Current Wants

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:14:35 AM
Chux (12)
Maryland
Originally posted by: Caleb47

Best was where I got my Sega Game Gear and few Nintendo games. We had one in MD. Loved going to the electronic department.

Might I suggest Kiddie City too. I couldn't find a good picture but I remember the store with the same design. They had the Kangaroo as their mascot. Remember getting Legos and a few Nintendo games since they were sometimes cheaper than Toys R Us.

Dude, the Kiddie City was across the highway from the Best that you're talking about, IIRC.
I bought so many Atari Games there, and there was a TRU near there where I got a rad StarCom vehicle after learning how to tie my shoes.  I remember playing the PlayChoice 10 there while waiting for my parents to check out.

Current Wants

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:27:23 AM
retrogames12 (50)
(Paul Zagata) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
Sweet thread, I wish I could remember these store but I was born in the late 90s. I do remember circuit city however . My local one was replaced by a college.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:29:21 AM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Surprising this one isn't mentioned:

Play Co toys. They ate it shortly after Final Fantasy III SNES popped out. I only remember it because Square loved to heavily overcharge on their SNES games vs the normal ($50) and I wasn't as a kid on an allowance going to drop $70 on it, but when Play Co failed they had like a 40% off sale and I recall getting it for a little over $40. They always had a really nice pile of cases with a solid selection to pick from and many kiosks to try stuff on too.

Edited: 07/30/2013 at 10:29 AM by Tanooki

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:33:11 AM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
Originally posted by: Chux

Originally posted by: Caleb47

Dude, the Kiddie City was across the highway from the Best that you're talking about, IIRC.
I bought so many Atari Games there, and there was a TRU near there where I got a rad StarCom vehicle after learning how to tie my shoes.  I remember playing the PlayChoice 10 there while waiting for my parents to check out.

Yep, that's the one on route 40 (now its a storage unit place). I got Mortal Kombat and Cool Spot for the Game Gear at that Best.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:40:38 AM
Chux (12)
Maryland
I got Mortal Kombat at the Best too! Crazy, I also am pretty sure I got a handful of Mega Man games for the Gameboy there. I remember the death knell for Best was the BJ's that opened right next to it.

Current Wants

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:01:57 AM
RabbidRabbit (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Georgia
Originally posted by: TENGEN

I'm from New England so I remember all of those guys. Electronics Boutique was where I bought almost all my new stuff.

I also used to like trolling around the discount bins of Ames. Which used to be...Zayre...anyone remember that place?

This is where my parents got my Deluxe Set from. It sported the price tag up till about 15 years ago. It fell off somewhere never to be seen from again. I still don't understand why they left it on there. My mom never left the tags on anything. I don't ever remember going in a Zayres so I always wondered about it. $249.99 seemed like a lot back in the mid 80's.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:12:39 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Man, I remember AMES and Caldor. I got my first NES from there (well, my mom bought it for me and my brother for Christmas, but we'd go there often to buy new games).

When I was in high school, Electronics Boutique, Software Etc., and Funcoland were where we'd always end up. Watching Mall Rats is like a blast straight into the 90's with the way malls used to be.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:22:14 AM
BlooperandGoomba (23)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< El Ripper >
United States
I have fond memories of funcoland too. But the reality is we are remembering a time only a few years after the release of the SNES. So of course they had NES, SNES, and N64 games. If you fast forward to the present maybe--MAYBE--they'd be better than other chain stores and still offer Gamecube games in addition to the Wii and Wii U games.

But Funcoland was better primarily because of the era it existed, not because it had a fundamentally different business model than present day Gamestop.

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:34:45 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: dra600n

Man, I remember AMES and Caldor. I got my first NES from there (well, my mom bought it for me and my brother for Christmas, but we'd go there often to buy new games).

When I was in high school, Electronics Boutique, Software Etc., and Funcoland were where we'd always end up. Watching Mall Rats is like a blast straight into the 90's with the way malls used to be.
Hell yes! Watching Mallrats on VHS makes me so nostalgic...I love sharing these pictures and seeing the joy it brings
Here was the mall in Lake Grove, NY back in March 1997 (and a few of them were more updated shots in 1998, like the T-Shirt store)

Those were the days....I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could.

Edited: 07/30/2013 at 12:35 PM by Trj22487

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:05:10 PM
Laseki (75)
(mooga moon) < El Ripper >
Ohio
Good old KB toys, loved going in there as a kid like you wouldn't imagine.
Was really sad to see them all close down, nothing as bad as watching Funcoland close though.

All I do is speedrun Megaman X games honestly.
http://www.twitch.tv/laseki...
https://twitter.com/LasekiSP...
https://www.youtube.com/user/Lase...

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:13:59 PM
sheikah (58)
(Herb Dorr) < Meka Chicken >
New Jersey

George Costanza Sex Bonanza

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:16:56 PM
Chux (12)
Maryland
We had a Video Game Exchange in Severna Park that I went to, it was before Funcoland was around. Carts had a sticker on them (Orange, green, blue, yellow etc) to tell how much they were. I remember getting Dragon Warrior IV new from them there.

As for Funcoland, I worked there from Dreamcast Launch til a little after PS2 launch and WISH I would have bought half the games I accepted as trade in.

Current Wants

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:24:59 PM
TENGEN (177)
(DK ) < King Solomon >
New York

We had a Video Game Exchange in Severna Park that I went to, it was before Funcoland was around. Carts had a sticker on them (Orange, green, blue, yellow etc) to tell how much they were. I remember getting Dragon Warrior IV new from them there.

As for Funcoland, I worked there from Dreamcast Launch til a little after PS2 launch and WISH I would have bought half the games I accepted as trade in.

As an ex-Funcoland employee maybe you can answer the question we all have - did anyone ever trade in a Stadium Events for $26?

Or do you ever remember seeing one in stock at all?

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:32:24 PM
Chux (12)
Maryland
Originally posted by: TENGEN

As an ex-Funcoland employee maybe you can answer the question we all have - did anyone ever trade in a Stadium Events for $26?

Or do you ever remember seeing one in stock at all?

I didn't remember seeing it while I was working there, and a few of my other friends who have been bitten by the retro bug also don't remember seeing it.  One claims he saw a Little Samson being turned in, and I know I saw some Flintstones 2 and Bonk's Adventures.

Current Wants

Jul 30, 2013 at 2:55:38 PM
koolaidman (2)
(P.J. ------) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
Originally posted by: Trj22487

Originally posted by: DreamStar

Children's Palace is another place in the distant past that I don't hear about anymore.
Yep, Child World/Children's Palace was another great toy store. Loved the castle facades of the stores, I remember the one in Nashua, New Hampshire.

Someone also mentioned Nobody Beats The Wiz!, funny how many people thought that was a fake store for Seinfeld
Here was the Huntington, NY location

Along with the Service Merchandise in Huntington.

The older style Service Merchandise stores looked like this. The chain went out of business in 2000.

Time for some more food..

Wow! I didn't know the wiz was a real store!!

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:09:52 PM
eCockpit (12)
(Ethan ) < El Ripper >
Iowa
Wow, shows you how far things have fallen, huh? In my area, there's only a handful of places that carry classic games, let alone any other things that are of interest to me. LameSchlock (GameStop) can only hold my interest for oh-so long. Not sure how many of you are familiar with Worthington, MN, but their local mall used to be thriving as far as small town malls go. Nowadays, it's more or less a vegetable. And Mall of America? Let's just say it's little more than a tourist trap to me. And yes, Mall Arcades are kind of on life support, aren't they? You've really gotta wonder how much better or worse things will become in the coming years...

If all else fails, use Fire!

My WTB: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:05:17 PM
Terash Cas (1)
(John C) < Crack Trooper >
Texas
I guess I forgot to post...

I remember the Service Merchandise and Solo Serve back in the Westgate Mall in the late 90's they were always overpriced.

I am sad that I was only inside a Funcoland once I think it was a $30 game I had my eye on at the time probably for the SNES.

I believe the only surviving video game stores from the 90's in Austin other than Gamestop is the local Gamefellas chain

Edited: 07/30/2013 at 04:06 PM by Terash Cas

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:08:48 PM
BenPlusPlus (2)
(Ben Baird) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
I remember getting some of my NES games at Kay-Bee Toys. Also, we had a Woolworth's in town that had a huge World of Nintendo section, with service center and everything. Pretty sure that's where my Game Boy came from.

Those were the days...

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:40:24 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: Koolaidstory

Originally posted by: Trj22487

Originally posted by: DreamStar

Children's Palace is another place in the distant past that I don't hear about anymore.
Yep, Child World/Children's Palace was another great toy store. Loved the castle facades of the stores, I remember the one in Nashua, New Hampshire.

Someone also mentioned Nobody Beats The Wiz!, funny how many people thought that was a fake store for Seinfeld
Here was the Huntington, NY location

Wow! I didn't know the wiz was a real store!!

Haha how ironic from someone with a George Castanza icon. Here is a further back shot of the store

Some locations had the full fledged "Nobody Beats The Wiz!" and others like this one were simply dubbed "The Wiz"
Similar store to Circuit City, Best Buy, Service Merchandise, Lechmere, any of those types.

Edited: 07/30/2013 at 04:40 PM by Trj22487