Jul 7, 2017 at 12:48:06 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: darkchylde28

Originally posted by: pezmed
Originally posted by: Tulpa

I want the replacement connector.  

Last year's batch had some delays, too. It's China(town.)
Tulpa, is that the weak USB connection you are talking about? Do we know if the new units have this issue fixed?

Not to speak for Tulpa, but I believe he's referring to the replacement cartridge connectors.  He and I were pretty active in the "green strip" discussions that occurred shortly after launch and have both been waiting for the updated replacement connectors to resolve that issue since.  Without buying a new system, there's not really any way to get a replcaement USB connector.  The ones originally used can be secured to the board via nylon washers, screws & nuts, but so far as I know bunnyboy isn't offering to "upgrade" any existing units to the through-hole component that was supposed to be used for the USB this time around.

Also, I saw on the retroUSB Facebook page last night that the wireless controllers have arrived, so I'm assuming that it means that the new batch of systems and the replacement connectors have either arrived as well or can't be far behind.  Fingers crossed!

They ALSO posted on Facebook yesterday that China sent them a dumb question about the power/reset buttons on the AVS, and so the next batch will MAYBE make it to him in August. I'll not be surprised if this ends up being last years Christmas gift to myself this Christmas.

-------------------------

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:55:59 PM
PuppyWaffles (114)
(Matt ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Gloves

Tulpa, is that the weak USB connection you are talking about? Do we know if the new units have this issue fixed?

Not to speak for Tulpa, but I believe he's referring to the replacement cartridge connectors.  He and I were pretty active in the "green strip" discussions that occurred shortly after launch and have both been waiting for the updated replacement connectors to resolve that issue since.  Without buying a new system, there's not really any way to get a replcaement USB connector.  The ones originally used can be secured to the board via nylon washers, screws & nuts, but so far as I know bunnyboy isn't offering to "upgrade" any existing units to the through-hole component that was supposed to be used for the USB this time around.

Also, I saw on the retroUSB Facebook page last night that the wireless controllers have arrived, so I'm assuming that it means that the new batch of systems and the replacement connectors have either arrived as well or can't be far behind.  Fingers crossed!

They ALSO posted on Facebook yesterday that China sent them a dumb question about the power/reset buttons on the AVS, and so the next batch will MAYBE make it to him in August. I'll not be surprised if this ends up being last years Christmas gift to myself this Christmas.
I hear ya man. I ordered mine last year too. I've considered cancelling the order and just buying a Switch with the money. I know it will get here but I'm starting to feel like my 2016 order will arrive in 2018...

USBRetro's reputation is pretty solid and I understand it isn't their fault, but if it were me I would have found a new factory.

Got some Japanese N64 CIBs you wanna sell in good condition? I'm probably your guy!

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:57:19 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

Also, current AVS owners, how you liking the system thus far?

Love it. It's really hard to put into words.

I'm looking forward to further firmware updates, as well as possibly a more rigid USB port and less-rigid cartridge connector, but I've fortunately not hit any compatibility issues or other problems. I've thrown a lot of random homebrew and pirate carts at this thing (both 72 and 60-pin) and haven't personally experienced a single problem. 

I guess my only real "complaint" is that the console ruins the experience on my others, haha. I have a toaster hooked up on a second TV via RCA and it's just a night-and-day difference. Not to mention that's also a flat-panel and I have noticable latency compared with the AVS.
That's good about the latency, Rivets. I have a 11 year old 46 inch Samsung I use in game mode for my toaster. I don't notice any lag to be honest (playing Mega Man 2 right now, so that's a good test). I do plan on hooking up my AVS to my ASUS 27'' IPS ROG monitor that has great response times. So I think I'll be good with low latency/lag issues. 
my experience is respectfully the oppisite of barrels. the avs has made me appreciate my front loader / crt 100x over again. 

also as for lag. thats my main issue with the avs. you cant just throw it on any lcd flat screen. you really have to do your homework researching what tv is best for no lag. ive heard monitor is actually the best option for the avs. 

some people have no issues with lag on the avs. and its not noticable on most games even smb3 but i can def tell when playing mike tyson punch out. so i know its there on all games and for that reason have stop using it for serious play or even posting score with it. its nice for a casual play and visually it is amazing. 

That's what ultimately led to me selling mine.   I took into account how much I would really play it with that stuff going on (MTPO is one of the NES games I play the most, along with Mega Man 1-3), and how much I played NES/Famicom in general.   I didn't feel like messing with my TV settings to the point of screwing up my PS4 settings for my various pinball games (which to me are more important).

So yes, it is a fantastic system, I just discovered that it wasn't for me after all.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:58:35 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida

bunnyboy preforming labor of love. i hope he made some $ what a hassle. + people like me knot picking aaaayyyyeeeer 

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:59:01 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario
Originally posted by: PuppyWaffles

I hear ya man. I ordered mine last year too. I've considered cancelling the order and just buying a Switch with the money. I know it will get here but I'm starting to feel like my 2016 order will arrive in 2018...

USBRetro's reputation is pretty solid and I understand it isn't their fault, but if it were me I would have found a new factory.

I've considered getting a refund and buying either a Switch or an Analogue NT Mini. At the end of the day I really just wanna play my NES games on my modern tv as nicely as possible, and the AVS was a good way to do that AND post scores on the scoreboards here on NA. But tbh the Scoreboards don't seem to get much attention, and I'll probably be right back to where I was with Playstation - getting a bunch of "trophies" that don't amount to anything and are purely for show, yet I'm the only one who cares.

I dunno man, I'm getting hella disillusioned.

Jul 7, 2017 at 12:59:42 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
Ohio

Bunny did mention in the announcement that he will likely be seeking a new factory for the next round after all of the BS they put him through.

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:01:15 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

I'm looking forward to further firmware updates, as well as possibly a more rigid USB port and less-rigid cartridge connector, but I've fortunately not hit any compatibility issues or other problems. I've thrown a lot of random homebrew and pirate carts at this thing (both 72 and 60-pin) and haven't personally experienced a single problem. 

I guess my only real "complaint" is that the console ruins the experience on my others, haha. I have a toaster hooked up on a second TV via RCA and it's just a night-and-day difference. Not to mention that's also a flat-panel and I have noticable latency compared with the AVS.
That's good about the latency, Rivets. I have a 11 year old 46 inch Samsung I use in game mode for my toaster. I don't notice any lag to be honest (playing Mega Man 2 right now, so that's a good test). I do plan on hooking up my AVS to my ASUS 27'' IPS ROG monitor that has great response times. So I think I'll be good with low latency/lag issues. 
my experience is respectfully the oppisite of barrels. the avs has made me appreciate my front loader / crt 100x over again. 

also as for lag. thats my main issue with the avs. you cant just throw it on any lcd flat screen. you really have to do your homework researching what tv is best for no lag. ive heard monitor is actually the best option for the avs. 

some people have no issues with lag on the avs. and its not noticable on most games even smb3 but i can def tell when playing mike tyson punch out. so i know its there on all games and for that reason have stop using it for serious play or even posting score with it. its nice for a casual play and visually it is amazing. 

That's what ultimately led to me selling mine.   I took into account how much I would really play it with that stuff going on (MTPO is one of the NES games I play the most, along with Mega Man 1-3), and how much I played NES/Famicom in general.   I didn't feel like messing with my TV settings to the point of screwing up my PS4 settings for my various pinball games (which to me are more important).

So yes, it is a fantastic system, I just discovered that it wasn't for me after all.

MTPO is the absolute test for lag imo. smb3 and mm are good but MTPO its so clear if its lagong. 

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:02:37 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

Bunny did mention in the announcement that he will likely be seeking a new factory for the next round after all of the BS they put him through.

Yup. At the end of the day I in no way blame him for this, I don't think he could handle it better - it's just a shitty situation out of nowhere from the factory that's causing delays. 

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:03:34 PM
PuppyWaffles (114)
Tennessee

I understand that, but that doesn't help all the current orders. I'm sure his reputation is taking a hit by those that don't know he will deliver. Like I said no blame to him, it just sucks him getting screwed hurts more than just his wallet.

Got some Japanese N64 CIBs you wanna sell in good condition? I'm probably your guy!

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:03:43 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

I've considered getting a refund and buying either a Switch or an Analogue NT Mini. At the end of the day I really just wanna play my NES games on my modern tv as nicely as possible, and the AVS was a good way to do that AND post scores on the scoreboards here on NA. But tbh the Scoreboards don't seem to get much attention, and I'll probably be right back to where I was with Playstation - getting a bunch of "trophies" that don't amount to anything and are purely for show, yet I'm the only one who cares.

id love to let you be second place on the vert shooters on the na scoreboard. but i got lag as of now. if i get it fixed ill def be posting. 

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:04:38 PM
PuppyWaffles (114)
Tennessee
Haha, he should just pull a Nintendo and sell "limited" supply.

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:06:26 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
Florida

I ordered my AVS the day after Christmas last year. Still waiting on it, sadly.
posting to the na score board was a main point for me. id be a lot more active posting if not for my tv issue. i mean its kind of blah for me if im using sub par equipment :/

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:14:46 PM
darkchylde28 (10)
(Doug ) < El Ripper >
Tennessee

Well...crap.  That never showed in my feed and I never went back to the retroUSB page after seeing the initial announcements (the controllers arriving and the blurb about the Christmas cart working as intended).

Just went and read the post and got mired in the comments.  It seems like every "know it all" who decided to open their mouth just had to be a shithead.  Good on bunnyboy to respond to most of it, but damn, I'd consider cancelling their preorders and moving on.

Need Stadium Events + Panesian titles, 6-in-1's, Menace Beach, Moon Ranger & Secret Scout to complete my licensed/unlicensed sets.

If you've got any of the above for sale, hit me up!

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:18:18 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
Ohio

MTPO is the absolute test for lag imo. smb3 and mm are good but MTPO its so clear if its lagong. 

Yep.  If you have to take Glass Joe into the second round there's something seriously wrong.

Jul 7, 2017 at 1:18:35 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I understand that, but that doesn't help all the current orders. I'm sure his reputation is taking a hit by those that don't know he will deliver. Like I said no blame to him, it just sucks him getting screwed hurts more than just his wallet.
Well, there's not much to be done now. Just got to ride it out.

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:00:10 PM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi

Gloves, if it makes you feel better, the Scoreboard is something I'm looking forward to so you'll at least have me to compete against (though I don't know if i'm really that good..lol).

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:01:52 PM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi

I ordered my AVS the day after Christmas last year. Still waiting on it, sadly.
posting to the na score board was a main point for me. id be a lot more active posting if not for my tv issue. i mean its kind of blah for me if im using sub par equipment :/

Get you a good TV sometime skinny.   I'm looking forward to using Scoreboard too and hope we can keep a good community going with it.

Jul 7, 2017 at 3:02:19 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
I like how a bunch of people on the FB page are like, "Use an American factory next time." YOU CAN'T MAKE THESE IN THE US!

Jul 7, 2017 at 3:04:56 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
I got one in the first run, no issues. It's an amazing console.

SW-6786-5095-2210

Jul 7, 2017 at 3:05:44 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

I like how a bunch of people on the FB page are like, "Use an American factory next time." YOU CAN'T MAKE THESE IN THE US!

People just don't know how things work, and it's kinda sad. 

Jul 7, 2017 at 3:23:16 PM
Brachabre (9)
(Weiner Tacos) < Lolo Lord >
Texas

I'm in the exact same boat lol

Jul 7, 2017 at 4:27:37 PM
Moist Towelette (0)
(Moist Towelette) < Little Mac >
Illinois
I ordered mine before Christmas and I am still getting moist with anticipation!

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:02:31 PM
UKWildcats (8)
< Crack Trooper >
South Carolina

Your best bet is to just get your NES upgraded to HD. That's what I did and I am so glad. I'm not a fan of the AVS mainly because I just don't get why you would want it over upgrading a real NES unless it was the cost.

Licensed NES Games: 665/679
Unlicensed NES Games: 167/182
Licensed PAL NES Games: 6/34

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:19:06 PM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi
Originally posted by: UKWildcats

Your best bet is to just get your NES upgraded to HD. That's what I did and I am so glad. I'm not a fan of the AVS mainly because I just don't get why you would want it over upgrading a real NES unless it was the cost.

I considered the NES upgrade option but I'd rather have the option of playing old school on NES if I want and then have the reliability and connectivity (computer usb and HD) of a newer machine with graphics such as the AVS. I considered getting the Analogue NT but just too much money for one system. Though I spent a good bit with AVS and an Everdrive. But that is flexible options to play with on NES and AVS.

Edited: 07/07/2017 at 06:20 PM by pezmed

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:34:19 PM
PuppyWaffles (114)
Tennessee
Originally posted by: UKWildcats

How much extra is your HD famicom?