Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Another Tengen Tetris Proto(I think)

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:04:45 PM
damcanadian (18)
< Crack Trooper >
Washington
So I got this tetris proto the other day and I couldnt figure out what verson it was untill I heard the music which is the tengen music, I hadnt seen this start screen before and was wondering if the people here who also had a proto of the game matched mine, 
Thanks.

Edited: 02/14/2017 at 01:11 PM by damcanadian

Feb 14, 2017 at 1:50:23 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
That start screen looks identical to the one Dream had a few years back. I know he sold it, and I believe I know the current owner (not sure if they want their identity to be public).

Assuming that rom was never dumped/released, it looks like you've got yourself a serious gem.

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:41:10 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Nice pick up playa

-------------------------
Playas Guide Logo

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:10:27 PM
daillest (225)
(Joe ) < Lolo Lord >
Pennsylvania
I actually have three different builders of this prototype. Your seems to be similar to 2/3. Awesome find for sure how that you acquire It?

My Wanted to Buy/Trade Thread
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

My Ebay Listings
http://www.ebay.com/sch/daillest/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&a...

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:38:12 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California
That's really awesome! I'm curious to know what the front of the cart looks like. Can you post a pic or two?

On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:07:06 PM
Xerxes (20)
(Xerxes Dole) < El Ripper >
Ohio
That is really amazing! That is my number 2 most wanted prototype. Congratulations!

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:19:21 PM
Soma (36)

< El Ripper >
Tennessee
Wow this is cool - Tengen Tetris is my favorite version. The weird differences in graphics is really interesting to me. Congrats on the pickup!

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:39:23 PM
damcanadian (18)
< Crack Trooper >
Washington
I got a box of loose proto boards and games, for now it consisted of 5 NES games, Tengen Tetris, conquest of the crystal palace(though its titled Lord of demon paradise on cart and in game), Wurm, and Play action football, the 5th game I cant get to boot and have no idea what it is, 1 Sega game, NFL Quarterback club, and 3 SNES boards, all 3 wont boot and only one has any discernible stickers reading MK 8/26, I say for now because I should be getting more I believe. The Tetris front shell is very lame, not sure if the stickers have worn off over the years, or if it every had one, these did not come from a collector, or even anyone who cared enough to keep them rolling around loose in anything more then an old wine box, so I do believe it is at least its original shell.

The back is the same, nothing on it, not even the standard sticker.

Edited: 02/14/2017 at 08:40 PM by damcanadian

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:46:44 PM
mydogsrule (165)

(Jonathan Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Tennessee
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. So I make the 7th reply since you posted this hours ago. I don't think people fully understand the significance of this proto. Anyway, this is a very neat.

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:34:35 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Yup, Tengen version, easy to tell from the programmer who did it. Nice find!

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:39:33 AM
CloudGamerX (30)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: damcanadian

I got a box of loose proto boards and games, for now it consisted of 5 NES games, Tengen Tetris, conquest of the crystal palace(though its titled Lord of demon paradise on cart and in game).

The back is the same, nothing on it, not even the standard sticker.

Can i see pics and possibly a dump of that? Conquest of the Crystal Palace is one of my favorite games and I would really like to see that  

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:27:23 PM
damcanadian (18)
< Crack Trooper >
Washington
While I have no problem posting any pictures, I wont be dumping any roms, I have nether the interest or the resources to do so, if I ever some across something truly rare I may consider reaching out to people in the know to do a reproduction run, but that would take a miracle find. But here is my "Lord of demon paradise"

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:01:10 PM
CloudGamerX (30)

< Eggplant Wizard >
Well I dumped my prototype of Toki, I would be glad to also dump that for you if you would like. I would love to actually play that particular version of conquest of the Crystal Palace myself

Feb 15, 2017 at 7:43:36 PM
TheRedEye (6)
(Frank Cifaldi) < Meka Chicken >
California
Are you able to open the NES game that won't boot? It might be salvageable, happy to take a look at it for you if it comes to it.

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:03:06 PM
damcanadian (18)
< Crack Trooper >
Washington
Originally posted by: TheRedEye

Are you able to open the NES game that won't boot? It might be salvageable, happy to take a look at it for you if it comes to it.

appreciate the offer, but turns out it was a famicom retail kings knight board in a nes converter board, got it to fire once I pulled the top board and got it into a famicom, not sure why it was in there, or mixed with a bunch of protos, lost to the ages I guess.

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:14:52 PM
TheRedEye (6)
California
Cool! Keep us updated on anything else that comes in.

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:55:32 PM
Xerxes (20)
(Xerxes Dole) < El Ripper >
Ohio

While I have no problem posting any pictures, I wont be dumping any roms, I have nether the interest or the resources to do so, if I ever some across something truly rare I may consider reaching out to people in the know to do a reproduction run, but that would take a miracle find. But here is my "Lord of demon paradise"

Thanks for posting the pictures. I would love to see pictures of the other NES titles. PCBs,  fronts, backs... whatever you want to post I would love to see it.

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:19:34 PM
ninjistar (29)
(Mr E ) < El Ripper >
California

appreciate the offer, but turns out it was a famicom retail kings knight board in a nes converter board, got it to fire once I pulled the top board and got it into a famicom, not sure why it was in there, or mixed with a bunch of protos, lost to the ages I guess.
I replied to your thread about this and pointed out the details of that specific cart. One thing I didn't mention though (or that perhaps I didn't make clear) is that perhaps that cart came that way in the same way US versions of Stack Up and Gyromite do. I'll reply to that thread with more details. I will agree that it's probably not a prototype; at least not an obvious one. It could be an early US release for that game that had the Famicom board with NES adapter, but I've never heard of one for that game.

On the hunt for prototypes...

Eat, sleep, collect, repeat.
[ YouTube ]   [ Twitter ]   [ Blog ]   [ RF Generation ]   [ VGCollect ]   [ NA WTB

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:43:27 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: ninjistar

I replied to your thread about this and pointed out the details of that specific cart. One thing I didn't mention though (or that perhaps I didn't make clear) is that perhaps that cart came that way in the same way US versions of Stack Up and Gyromite do. I'll reply to that thread with more details. I will agree that it's probably not a prototype; at least not an obvious one. It could be an early US release for that game that had the Famicom board with NES adapter, but I've never heard of one for that game.

that game wouldn't have been a US retail release but there are examples of famicom boards+converters in prerelease/sample NES carts

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:26:09 AM
fcgamer (101)

(Dave ) < Bowser >
Pennsylvania
Plenty of times there were NES protos that were just Famicom version + adapter.

-----
Family Bits:  An Unauthorized, Complete Guide to Famicom, Dendy, and Pegasus

https://famicomfamilybits.wordpre...

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:31:04 PM
damcanadian (18)
< Crack Trooper >
Washington
Originally posted by: Lincoln

that game wouldn't have been a US retail release but there are examples of famicom boards+converters in prerelease/sample NES carts

Originally posted by: tracker465

Plenty of times there were NES protos that were just Famicom version + adapter.

Appreciate the info, here are pictures of that board if it helps at all, I dont have the hardware to dump and compare sadely, but if anything seems out of the ordinary, that would be a place to start.

Edited: 02/17/2017 at 12:31 PM by damcanadian

Feb 18, 2017 at 5:16:47 PM
TheRedEye (6)
California
Don't know if this is helpful but they're glop-top mask ROMs, meaning it's manufactured, meaning it's 99.9% certain this is a board from a retail cartridge.