Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

"Worlds Largest" game collection up for sale again

Nov 28, 2014 at 3:59:38 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
Found this on the game collecting reddit forum.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/2...

Looks like this time he's skipping the Internet and going to an auction house. With his notoriety I wouldn't doubt that Christies would deny his collection either.

I'd imagine a young rich celebrity, or website owner would even bid on it thinking of it as an investment of sorts and making the mistake of thinking the $750000 price earlier this year is the actual value of the lot.

-------------------------

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Nov 28, 2014 at 4:06:15 PM
Foochie776 (240)
(Obi Wan Kenobi) < Bowser >
Minnesota
That's just a insane asking price at an average of $65 a game. I would never want something of this magnitude in one shot because where is the fun in collection this over years?

May the force be with you.

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:02:22 PM
theirontoupee (53)
< Bowser >
Texas
I'm certainly curious why the sale fell through the first time. I'm also curious why Guiness hasn't reached out to the NA community more to see if this collection can be beat, which I think it certainly is by some members on here!

WTB Thread (Always looking for Exertainment related items)

FO/FT Thread - Xbox, PS1, Gamecube, and more!

NintendoAge Official Exertainment Thread!!!

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:18:29 PM
alekx (108)
(Alexander Kong) < Bowser >
Alberta
Originally posted by: theirontoupee

I'm certainly curious why the sale fell through the first time. I'm also curious why Guiness hasn't reached out to the NA community more to see if this collection can be beat, which I think it certainly is by some members on here!

With the ammount of guiness records I really doubt they do must investigating, im sure people come to them to break records.

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:22:02 PM
theirontoupee (53)
< Bowser >
Texas
Originally posted by: alekx

With the ammount of guiness records I really doubt they do must investigating, im sure people come to them to break records.

Yeah, I think I remember reading in the last thread that some members like DreamTR contacted them but they never responded or something...

WTB Thread (Always looking for Exertainment related items)

FO/FT Thread - Xbox, PS1, Gamecube, and more!

NintendoAge Official Exertainment Thread!!!

Nov 28, 2014 at 7:37:26 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
"Thomasson is apparently considering re-listing the 11,000+ game-collection somewhere like Christie's"

--- LOL good luck with that!

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:08:51 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
I'd rather buy NintendoTwizer's collection for $165k or whatever his ebay price was.

SW-6786-5095-2210

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:21:33 PM
shortstop444 (12)

< El Ripper >
California
If he doesn't have a SNES 3 Ninjas Kick Back Poster I'm not interested.

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:38:52 AM
DreamTR (163)
(Jason Wilson) < King Solomon >
Tennessee
The high bidder on GameGavel did not pay. That is no surprise. As was said before basically most of the "cost" embedded in this is around the "hype" and instant name recognition as having an official "Guinness" record.

There are other people with more games, but we've already been down that road before, lol.....

www.gamegalaxyarcade.com...

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:40:37 AM
DreamTR (163)
Tennessee
Now I don't know how many "different" games this guy has, but he estimates 40,000-50,000 with variants..not sure if this is with computer games ( I think it is) but either way he's got a lot of stuff.

http://kotaku.com/a-game-collecti...

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:41:06 AM
JustinParks (10)
< Meka Chicken >
Ontario

Syd Bolton has more than 15 000 games, so why does this guy have the record when he only has 11 000?

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:35:07 AM
DreamTR (163)
Tennessee
Originally posted by: JustinParks

Syd Bolton has more than 15 000 games, so why does this guy have the record when he only has 11 000?

I have more than 17,000 different  just console. We've been over this numerous times in numerous threads. Guinness contacted me before all this years ago blah blah beat dead horse, etc. Syd doesn't even have the largest collection in Canada, that goes to videogames in Edmonton. 

On top of that Syd is essentially a museum as well taking donations part of that would not even count towards Guinness. 

Trust me when I say it comes down to ianoid, Joe Santulli, videogames in Edmonton, rick Weis, myself, bojay, adol (unless he sold everything) and that guy I linked everyone too, and who knows about mystery people in Japan. 

Every one of those guys has 15K+ easy non duplicates. 

Edited: 11/29/2014 at 11:38 AM by DreamTR

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:38:03 AM
Beliskner (1)
< Kraid Killer >
Germany
Originally posted by: DreamTR

Now I don't know how many "different" games this guy has, but he estimates 40,000-50,000 with variants..not sure if this is with computer games ( I think it is) but either way he's got a lot of stuff.

http://kotaku.com/a-game-collection-that-looks-like-a-museum...

The subtitles are a little unclear. He says he has 16k games if you count compilations discs or carts as one. If you'd count every single game on a compilation as one he would be at 40-50k.
He was also quite clear that PC games are part of that 16k figure.

Edit: Rick Weis is contender for the biggest collection? I thought he "only" had pretty much everything that ever came out for the 2600 and only smaller bits for other consoles.

Looking for a copy of Sega Rally on the N-Gage

Playstation 3 Collection: 999/1???
Philips Videopac Collection: 67/69
Nintendo 64 European (not PAL!) Collection: C 239/239 - I 126/239 - B 94/239
Sega Master System PAL Collection (CB): 166/269
Sega Dreamcast PAL Collection: 52/216

Edited: 11/29/2014 at 11:40 AM by Beliskner

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:45:06 AM
DreamTR (163)
Tennessee
Originally posted by: Beliskner

The subtitles are a little unclear. He says he has 16k games if you count compilations discs or carts as one. If you'd count every single game on a compilation as one he would be at 40-50k.
He was also quite clear that PC games are part of that 16k figure.

Edit: Rick Weis is contender for the biggest collection? I thought he "only" had pretty much everything that ever came out for the 2600 and only smaller bits for other consoles.

I mean, regardless the guy has a lot (European guy) and yes, Rick has a ton of stuff...NWC gray, etc. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:46:01 AM
DreamTR (163)
Tennessee
Also it's about "quality" of collection. 70% of Michael's stuff looks to just be common games...he doesn't really have a ton of good CIB stuff, his complete collections aren't any of the normal ones, etc.

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:32:04 PM
PowerPlayers (87)
(The Phleo) < Bowser >
New Jersey
This brings up an interesting question now. How much of an effort would you need to put into a collection like this if you were just going to bankroll right through it.

Any day of the week there are hundreds of bulk lots at open auction. You can easily hit a few thousand unique titles in about two or three weeks. even if you go slow, you can probably hit the 5k mark at 2 months. I bet you can even take your time and make a set like this in as little as a year if you *really* take your time and just bankroll EVERYTHING.

Heck, after a while it won't even cost you as much since you can sell your doubles, triples, etc. After a years worth of work you can even dedicate another year to gathering the missing rares in your various sets.

Got any of these for sale? Sell them to me. I also buy other NES Publisher inserts, and even GB/GBC, and SNES inserts too.

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:30:41 PM
DreamTR (163)
Tennessee
Well if you go for CIB vs loose it's a different scenario but obviously the boxes and manuals are not part of the Guinness parameters.

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:42:25 PM
CD2193 (6)

< Meka Chicken >
Texas
Originally posted by: JosephLeo

This brings up an interesting question now. How much of an effort would you need to put into a collection like this if you were just going to bankroll right through it.

Any day of the week there are hundreds of bulk lots at open auction. You can easily hit a few thousand unique titles in about two or three weeks. even if you go slow, you can probably hit the 5k mark at 2 months. I bet you can even take your time and make a set like this in as little as a year if you *really* take your time and just bankroll EVERYTHING.

Heck, after a while it won't even cost you as much since you can sell your doubles, triples, etc. After a years worth of work you can even dedicate another year to gathering the missing rares in your various sets.

Yeah, I guess that could be a bit of a "problem" so to speak when it comes to collecting relatively modern, mass-produced items while disregarding quality/completeness (and to some extent, even when you include those parameters). Simply having a lot of money and basic knowledge of using ebay+collector's forums I'd imagine that you could become a contender for largest collection within a relatively short period of time. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:52:42 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon

that guys PC collection is amazing.  

eBay listings here

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:40:54 PM
wiggyx (5)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States

They don't need to do the footwork. That's not what they do. People go to them.

www.rosecoloredgaming.com     Instagram   Facebook     

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:24:18 PM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States

He sold his collection before and had to start over. So what you are describing isn't only possible its already been done. 

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:24:23 PM
DreamTR (163)
Tennessee
Originally posted by: buyatari2

He sold his collection before and had to start over. So what you are describing isn't only possible its already been done. 

Well, let's be honest, all he has to do to "start over" is get the 6,000+ games as duplicates he has in his store to count towards the collection again or so....I am sure he has that many different titles or close to it in his store stock that were not counted in the tally. 

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:51:58 AM
XYZ (76)
< King Solomon >
Ohio
I trust you do not know all of the anonymous collectors who aren't out to get records, brag, or whatever you want to call it.