Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

commodore pc10 help needed something a little different, but thought someone here might be able to help

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:16:25 PM
64BitMatthew (31)
(Matthew 64Bit) < Eggplant Wizard >
Manitoba
Help me NA, you're my only hope!

So I recently bought a Commodore pc10. Bought it from an elderly couple.  The computer is in great physical shape.  It came with the monitor, tower, keyboard, printer, all necessary cords, a huge box of printer paper, a box of floppy discs and a box of discettes.  

I bought the computer as I remember having one when I was very little, though I don't remember which model it was. My earliest gaming memory is playing river raid on it.

I bought it for $40.  I just hooked it all up (minus the printer), and everything powers up, but then I get a repetative "disc boot failure" message.  Thats what I need help with.  Any ideas that could cause this?  Am I supposed to have a disc inserted in the computer to aid in the start up?  I really have no idea as I haven't played with one of these since I was 5 haha.  

Any help getting this going for me would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks NA!

-------------------------

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:20:58 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
A quick google check mentions those being able to run an older version of DOS, maybe they just formatted the drive without putting anything at all back on it.

I'd check the pile of disks for either a startup disk or DOS that you can install.

Nov 19, 2016 at 8:36:59 PM
64BitMatthew (31)
(Matthew 64Bit) < Eggplant Wizard >
Manitoba
Originally posted by: captmorgandrinker

A quick google check mentions those being able to run an older version of DOS, maybe they just formatted the drive without putting anything at all back on it.

I'd check the pile of disks for either a startup disk or DOS that you can install.

Thanks Capt.  I had kinda thought maybe that was the case, so I looked for anything that looked like a startup disk, but it looks like all the disks are brand new / blank.  I'll give them all a try though.
If they are all blank, what should my next move be?
Also, if anyone else can think of anything else to try, let me know.
Thanks!

-------------------------

Nov 21, 2016 at 10:52:44 AM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
That's about as much help as I have; I didn't even know that Commodore made anything after the Amiga until you mentioned this one.