Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

New NES Homebrew, NEScape! KICKSTARTER IS LIVE!!!! LINK IN FIRST POST!

Aug 31 at 12:17:31 AM
bertsampson (11)
(Andrew Bradley) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
Awesome package for what I'm sure will be an awesome game!  Now just to make some time to play.  Thanks Kevin!

Aug 31 at 9:28:17 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Awesome! Glad you were able to solve the puzzle to get into the box.  

-------------------------

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Sep 01 at 2:50:28 PM
Hoskat (11)
(Matt Hosley) < Eggplant Wizard >
Kentucky
I finished up NESCAPE today and wrote up a review for my blog. Great job to KHAN games! I really enjoyed the game and can't wait to make some friends play it in a couple of weeks when we have a game night!

https://hoz14nes.wordpress.com/20...

Sep 01 at 4:42:39 PM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida
Thank you for the review, Matt. Loved reading it, and I'm glad you enjoyed the game!

I completely agree with your complaints. Some ideas were better in theory than in practicality, but I wanted to see my initial ideas through to the end, audio quality be damned.  

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Sep 10 at 3:53:23 PM
Khromak (16)

(Sean Dumont) < Crack Trooper >
New York
Just finished this game yesterday with a buddy of mine. All things considered it was a great game, I think we both agreed on something like a 9/10. Only real complaints from us would be the speech and replayability (as Matt said in his blog). I was expecting a second room after we finished the first one, and was halfway let down when I realized we'd beaten the game.

That said, I think that's also a compliment because it shows how enjoyable the game is. If you ever develop a sequel I'll be first in line on the kickstarter

Sep 10 at 4:10:19 PM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida
Originally posted by: Khromak

Just finished this game yesterday with a buddy of mine. All things considered it was a great game, I think we both agreed on something like a 9/10. Only real complaints from us would be the speech and replayability (as Matt said in his blog). I was expecting a second room after we finished the first one, and was halfway let down when I realized we'd beaten the game.

That said, I think that's also a compliment because it shows how enjoyable the game is. If you ever develop a sequel I'll be first in line on the kickstarter

Thanks for the kind words! That's a great score, and it means a lot that you played through it.

I agree that the spoken words were a better puzzle "in theory" than it turned out to be "in reality", but I wanted to stick to the initial vision we had when we sat down and planned everything out. And believe it or not, so much is crammed in that game that we almost had NO SPACE left. We couldn't even fit a "game over" screen in!

We definitely want to do a sequel. The overall feedback for this game has been positive, so it definitey seems like a possibility. Hopefully people continue to tell us it's something they want!

Sep 10 at 6:01:11 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
If there's a sequel get rid of the slide puzzle and randomly generate the highest-level possible sudoku. People will love it, I guarantee it. No need to even pay me royalties for that idea.

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Sep 10 at 6:29:33 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Never even tried to figure out the slide puzzle just used the hints to get past it. Wife tried for like 15 minutes before giving up.

Sep 10 at 8:17:27 PM
Indo (4)
(Chris ) < Crack Trooper >
New Jersey
Originally posted by: a3quit4s

Never even tried to figure out the slide puzzle just used the hints to get past it. Wife tried for like 15 minutes before giving up.

I was terrible with the slide puzzle at first. I was basically just sliding pieces wildly hoping it would get the solution for me. I got better and better with it over attempts. I will still struggle with it for 5 mins or more though.

The audio clues were the ones I had to look up. I would have bet money that the first one was saying "zero".

The Sudoku suggestion is a great idea for the sequel.

Like others have said, the game is great and I hope there will be a sequel.

Deadeye.bit        Twitter       Instagram

Sep 11 at 10:01:05 AM
Khromak (16)

New York
I think we took about a half hour on the slide puzzle at first, and even at our best, it took about 10 minutes. Tbh I like the idea of a slide puzzle and the first time it was pretty fun figuring it out. On subsequent attempts it was kind of just a time sink. Though I must say, if it wasn't there then the time limit wouldn't really be a factor since the rest of the stuff takes mere minutes.

I'd make sure to keep things like that and the tilting ball puzzle where you can't instantly solve them if you know the answer, to keep the pressure on

Sep 11 at 10:13:53 AM
Indo (4)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: Khromak

I think we took about a half hour on the slide puzzle at first, and even at our best, it took about 10 minutes. Tbh I like the idea of a slide puzzle and the first time it was pretty fun figuring it out. On subsequent attempts it was kind of just a time sink. Though I must say, if it wasn't there then the time limit wouldn't really be a factor since the rest of the stuff takes mere minutes.

I'd make sure to keep things like that and the tilting ball puzzle where you can't instantly solve them if you know the answer, to keep the pressure on
That is true about the tilting ball puzzle.  Did you attempt it with the mouse?  I ended up switching to a controller for it. 

Sep 11 at 10:43:47 AM
Khromak (16)

New York
I did it with both, and found the controller to be easier. Ended up beating it with the mouse also, though it's definitely more challenging since it speeds up pretty quickly

Sep 11 at 11:20:35 AM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida
Some very exciting news coming soon for NEScape.  

Sep 12 at 3:16:51 PM
tomkennes123 (0)

(tom kennes) < Eggplant Wizard >
Alabama
Hi today I received my copy. I live in Europe but I didn't receive my mouse adapter? Is that normal, does it come later or something? Ty

Sep 12 at 3:26:28 PM
Indo (4)
New Jersey
Originally posted by: tomkennes123

Hi today I received my copy. I live in Europe but I didn't receive my mouse adapter? Is that normal, does it come later or something? Ty
At which tier did you back the project on kickstarter?  Not all tiers came with a mouse adapter. 

Sep 12 at 3:29:41 PM
tomkennes123 (0)

Alabama
Originally posted by: Indo

At which tier did you back the project on kickstarter?  Not all tiers came with a mouse adapter. 

Go adaptive 😏

Sep 12 at 3:31:34 PM
Indo (4)
New Jersey
Go adaptive 😏

Oh.  You should get one.  Send KHAN games a PM. 

Sep 12 at 5:30:42 PM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida

Antoine from Broke Studio said he had an extra mouse adapter left after he shipped everything, which struck me as odd since I double checked all my numbers. Looks like we found who we forgot to send one to! I'll let him know. Really sorry for the mix up!

Sep 13 at 3:48:37 AM
tomkennes123 (0)

Alabama
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

Antoine from Broke Studio said he had an extra mouse adapter left after he shipped everything, which struck me as odd since I double checked all my numbers. Looks like we found who we forgot to send one to! I'll let him know. Really sorry for the mix up!

Not a problem at all, as long as I get it  

Sep 21 at 9:50:04 AM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida
We can finally reveal that NEScape! has been nominated for a Spotlight Award at IndieCade! This is a huge honor (and a huge deal for NES homebrew exposure!). Peek-a-brews and I will be in Santa Monica next month at the festival, so if you're in the area, please come by and celebrate with us!

Sep 21 at 12:24:01 PM
Ausden (13)
(Jonathan ) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
That's awesome Kevin, congrats!

Sep 21 at 11:30:39 PM
DefaultGen (28)
(Tyler Wilkin) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

We can finally reveal that NEScape! has been nominated for a Spotlight Award at IndieCade! This is a huge honor (and a huge deal for NES homebrew exposure!). Peek-a-brews and I will be in Santa Monica next month at the festival, so if you're in the area, please come by and celebrate with us!

And the winner is...

*modulated cassette voice* Ǹ̛̀͢͠E̸͟S̕̕͏̶C̕͘a̢̛͘͞͝p̵̨͜e̵͜͠.

I'm sorry I didn't quite get that. 

N̵̷͞͡E̸̸͏͏͠S̴҉̀͘C̢͘͘͟͢a̷͠p̨̛̀e̷͏̸̵ 

Uhhh, and the award goes to Inhuman Conditions I'm gonna say. Congratulations!

Listen to the  Collector's Quest Podcast 
Episode #131: Spooky Collectible Halloween Imports

Sep 22 at 12:42:29 PM
KHAN Games (89)
Florida
Well played.  

Sep 22 at 10:53:20 PM
NESHomebrew (21)
(Brad Bateman - Strange Brew Games) < King Solomon >
Saskatchewan
HAHAHAHA

Sep 23 at 4:24:23 AM
tomkennes123 (0)

Alabama
I got my converter in thx!