Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

I have a dream... and other changes at retrousb for 2013

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:31:23 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey
I like the one in the mid-back the best too. Its got the original NES vibe goin on, but with that tapered back end it looks sharp dude. It would be nice if there was a way it could show off nicer carts though, like the prototype with large door.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:32:42 PM
mkiker2089 (17)
(Marshall Kiker) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
I like the curved ones on the left myself, either one will do.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:39:09 PM
GibbyVA (32)
(NESCAPADES ) < Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Front row, far left is my fav of the bunch.

-------------------------
8-Bit Collection (no dupes) -  NES - 1,245 Famicom - 719  Master System - 255
Latest additions - AO, UXO, O-To-X, Rock Paper Scissors, Enigmacore, Cowlitz Gamers Adventure, Journey: The Game, Khan Games 4in1, Legends of Owlia

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:51:49 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
I spent a long time deciding between rounded and angled.  I decided that I wanted it to be immediately recognizable as a NES, instead of a toy.  The prototype is the final shape and will be colored two tone gray.

Originally posted by: demanufacturedmario

Oh, question on power...what do you plan on doing for that? Are you copying the original NES's power jack? Will the power supply be included? And if it is, is it a switchable power supply (can plug into 120V or 220V with the same wallwart)?
Power is through the mini USB port, as "universal" as possible.  At the expo it was plugged into a USB port on the back the TV so a wall socket wasn't even needed.  I will include a wall adapter but likely 120V only.  Foreign peeps will have to swap it out for their own version.  Everyone should have it plugged into their computer for Scoreboard anyways!

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:51:59 PM
m308gunner (63)
(Jason ) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
Another lover of middle back.

Oct 19, 2013 at 4:10:16 PM
willis82 (51)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
Pretty simple. Just remove the proprietary connector from the main board along with the power input(no need for external power would be nice) and run wires to whatever the desired connector is. Since the internals will be removed from the original FDS case it's a pretty simple mod to add a different connector at the top of the new case to match the bottom of your new system. Everything could be self contained that way (no outside cables!).

Edit: technically if you take a page from the sharp system, you can see how the disk system was wired to the famicom somewhat internally. Using an easier to access external pass through connector this should easily be accomplished on the new system. Or to simplify it you could have the disk drive hardware all exist on the newly designed board and have the plug for the drive itself on the new board. If I remember correctly the drive requires a 12 pin plug for the data and 4 pin for the power that connects to the board that has the proprietary ram adapter plug. Then the disk drive could be formed into the new designed shell. To keep the cost down the disk slot in the new case could have a snap in fill plate coming from you and then for those who want the addition can add their own disk drive. Pop the case open, remove the fill cover, and install your own harvested drive pluging it directly into the main board. Then the option would be there for anyone who wants to upgrade in the future if they aren't ready to immediately.

WANTED : Loose 64DD carts cheap.  For possible repro project.

Always buying N64 proto carts.

N64 CIB - 102 of 287
N64/64DD/TEST CART NFR 28 of 28

Edited: 10/20/2013 at 01:42 PM by willis82

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:04:42 AM
tomm1313 (2)

(Tom M) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Front left is my choice!

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:07:15 AM
tomm1313 (2)

(Tom M) < Crack Trooper >
United States
how does the scoreboard part work? Will it have wifi on it or will it be a hardwire?

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:09:48 AM
demanufacturedmario (86)
(A J) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
We use Phihong adapters in our company. They are auto switchable voltages and you can add almost any common plug adapter in the world (US, Shucko, UK, etc...)

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:40:01 AM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Any chance NWC will be in stock for xmas, I was also thinking that bringing back a limited run of Mr.Gimmick would sell very good to since so many folks still want the retro usb version.

Playas Guide Logo

Oct 20, 2013 at 1:29:20 AM
fatalfuryspecial (31)
(cool shooter spaceship) < El Ripper >
Texas
pretty awesome that scoreboard is going to be built into this thing! i want scoreboard the most!

does this also mean that the scoreboard tech will not be getting a separate release as an accessory?

if i have to buy the console to get it i will, but i do own a nes and famicom already, and dont really mind my old tv. i can totally see how having it built into the console will be much easier and user friendly as compared to something one plugs into an older system though, so i trust in whatever you decide is best for your time and efforts.

keep up the good work!

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:52:29 AM
rokushadows (111)
(J M) < El Ripper >
United States
I am curious as to how Contra Force will run on this thing. Looks fantastic and cannot wait for it!

Get instant notifications for new eBay listings - http://www.auctionalert.io/...

PM me for a free forever account with full site access.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:02:50 AM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: rokushadows

I am curious as to how Contra Force will run on this thing.

It runs/plays/feels idential to how it runs on an official NES, same goes for all other games

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:18:31 AM
bunnyboy (81)
California
Originally posted by: fatalfuryspecial

does this also mean that the scoreboard tech will not be getting a separate release as an accessory?
It will also be a separate accessory, but not within a year.  Unless it is far more popular than expected a Famicom version is unlikely to happen.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:24:45 AM
GhostOfSparta (123)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
I can't wait until this is available!

My FS Thread

My WTB Thread

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:59:17 AM
willis82 (51)
< Eggplant Wizard >
United States
So bunnyboy what do you think about the disk ideas?

WANTED : Loose 64DD carts cheap.  For possible repro project.

Always buying N64 proto carts.

N64 CIB - 102 of 287
N64/64DD/TEST CART NFR 28 of 28

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:04:41 AM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
is it possible to output 3d compatible video to so you could play the famicom 3d games on a 3d tv?

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:12:05 PM
rokushadows (111)
(J M) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: Mog

Originally posted by: rokushadows

I am curious as to how Contra Force will run on this thing.

It runs/plays/feels idential to how it runs on an official NES, same goes for all other games

Ah, that makes me sad and happy. Still, I'm glad it's faithful to the original lag (for all games). Thanks for the response, appreciate it!

Get instant notifications for new eBay listings - http://www.auctionalert.io/...

PM me for a free forever account with full site access.

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:51:40 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
Originally posted by: Lincoln

is it possible to output 3d compatible video to so you could play the famicom 3d games on a 3d tv?
I don't think the types of 3d are compatible.  Famicom uses shutter glasses to do alternating left/right frames, while 3d tv does alternating color or polarized frames.  If there is a shutter glasses tv then it should be easy, but someone will have to buy one for me  

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:12:05 PM
mkiker2089 (17)
(Marshall Kiker) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

I don't think the types of 3d are compatible.  Famicom uses shutter glasses to do alternating left/right frames, while 3d tv does alternating color or polarized frames.  If there is a shutter glasses tv then it should be easy, but someone will have to buy one for me  
Samsung TVs use shutter glasses. Active 3d is based on shutter technology that could be compatible.

It also might be possible to extract the 3d info and send it as a simple left right compressed frame. All modern TVs accept that and can turn them into 3d.

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:37:37 PM
Boosted52405 (487)
(Eric Bizzle) < Bowser >
Iowa
Dang, I wish we could place pre-orders on this HDMI NES system. I'd be willing to place a down payment to be marked on the "Day One" list . Maybe these will have Day One achievements like the XBone - haha j/k.

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:48:02 PM
Lincoln (138)
California

The TVs mechanism for display should be independent of the content delivered to it. There are several types of 3d displays but they all work with the same blue rays. You just have to provide an appropriate stream. I don't know the technical workings if HDMI but if you're this far I would think its within reach.

Does the news do 60 fields or a full 60 frames every second? If its frames that's one of your hurdles out of the way - you can split them to the approapriate channel and set whatever needed flag in the stream. If its frames I'd guess you would double every line first to fill in missing top/bottom field lines.

I don't know if you could detect when 3d mode is activated. Might have to use a physical button on the unit or controller in conjunction with selecting 3d mode in game.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:53:52 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Point is, someone has to buy him a 3d tv for him to test on!

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:00:38 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

The TVs mechanism for display should be independent of the content delivered to it. There are several types of 3d displays but they all work with the same blue rays. You just have to provide an appropriate stream. I don't know the technical workings if HDMI but if you're this far I would think its within reach. Does the news do 60 fields or a full 60 frames every second? If its frames that's one of your hurdles out of the way - you can split them to the approapriate channel and set whatever needed flag in the stream. If its frames I'd guess you would double every line first to fill in missing top/bottom field lines. I don't know if you could detect when 3d mode is activated. Might have to use a physical button on the unit or controller in conjunction with selecting 3d mode in game.

The Famicom/NES Method of 3D is by using the red and blue glasses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anag...) while 3D movie theater glasses (assuming the same for home TV's) use passive 3D, or active 3D, which uses polarized lenses.

It would work because the Famicom games are programmed for the red/blue anaglyph 3D, so the HDMI nes would need to do the video conversion before it passes it to the TV, at least I believe so.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:08:39 PM
Lincoln (138)
California
Originally posted by: dra600n

The TVs mechanism for display should be independent of the content delivered to it. There are several types of 3d displays but they all work with the same blue rays. You just have to provide an appropriate stream. I don't know the technical workings if HDMI but if you're this far I would think its within reach. Does the news do 60 fields or a full 60 frames every second? If its frames that's one of your hurdles out of the way - you can split them to the approapriate channel and set whatever needed flag in the stream. If its frames I'd guess you would double every line first to fill in missing top/bottom field lines. I don't know if you could detect when 3d mode is activated. Might have to use a physical button on the unit or controller in conjunction with selecting 3d mode in game.

The Famicom/NES Method of 3D is by using the red and blue glasses (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaglyph_3D) while 3D movie theater glasses (assuming the same for home TV's) use passive 3D, or active 3D, which uses polarized lenses.

It would work because the Famicom games are programmed for the red/blue anaglyph 3D, so the HDMI nes would need to do the video conversion before it passes it to the TV, at least I believe so.

Famicom games for the most part use full color alternating fields in conjunction with active shutter glasses. This works to good effect on old cart TVs. The red/blue system was the dumbed down version for the NES. That could probably be made workable but I'm not so concerned with that.