Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Replacement save batteries where battery snaps in Where to buy them?

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:05:40 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
I remember seeing a post here where someone had a tab for a replacement save battery in a NES cartridge, where the battery snapped in rather than was soldered in. That way the battery could be replaced by anyone in the future. I searched for that and cannot find it! Can someone direct me to where those tabs can be purchased? Thanks!

-------------------------
My FS thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:13:47 PM
alexkidd401 (260)
(Maui Mallard) < Lolo Lord >
United States
I'd be interested in this as well

Alexkidd401's Trade List
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Alexkidd401's Want List
http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:18:43 PM
Jazzmarazz (1)
(Jordan Appleton-Joslin) < Eggplant Wizard >
Michigan
6.7mm tall.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products...

Bend the tabs down to fit through-hole mounting.

4.8mm tall.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-SMD-le...

tested and working as a fitting drop-in replacement but only from Taiwan. Dunno if the first one will fit, but I have not tried it. 

Edited: 08/15/2014 at 10:21 PM by Jazzmarazz

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:24:55 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
What I'm thinking of is the second one. I wonder if anyone knows a U.S.-based place to buy them. Thanks!

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:32:05 PM
Jazzmarazz (1)
Michigan
The datasheet actually states 5.3mm +/- 0.25mm so the other may potentially fit too, but its so pricey to ship  one part.

Edited: 08/15/2014 at 10:32 PM by Jazzmarazz

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:34:27 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Also it looks like it might have trouble fitting on some carts b/c of the chips next to the battery

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:50:04 PM
derekellis (11)
(Derek Ellis) < El Ripper >
Connecticut
I tried to do this once, and it failed.

The battery holders sold at Radio Shack are too thick to be put inside an NES Cartridge. I never got around to looking online for a thinner type

The Few, The Proud, The Marines.
1999-2004
www.facebook.com/derekellis81

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:53:13 PM
snucker (42)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
I've purchased many of the battery holders from the eBay link for SNES carts. They fit perfectly.

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:40:11 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Ok cool. I hear about them being too big, but I saw a photo of one of them installed on a cart and it fit fine. I think it was probably the ones in the eBay link. Thanks guys!

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:31:07 AM
snucker (42)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Quebec
Originally posted by: 85collector

Ok cool. I hear about them being too big, but I saw a photo of one of them installed on a cart and it fit fine. I think it was probably the ones in the eBay link. Thanks guys!

The ones I bought were from that seller exactly. I've had 1 SNES game have the holder really up close to a resistor on the board, the battery was placed 90 degrees compared to other games I had swapped. If you want to be 100% sure just open your carts that need replacing and estimate if they will fit or not =)

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:56:52 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Original thread is here:
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Someone bumped it recently. I'm not sure if the OP still offers the service, but there are sources for the low profile holders if someone wants to DIY or offer the service to others.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 08/16/2014 at 02:57 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:49:18 PM
dav3yb (39)
(david ) < Meka Chicken >
Mississippi
the ones linked on eBay are the ones you want. I have the ones from sparkfun too, and while those would be good for external wire + battery holder, the ones on the ebay page are good for soldering right to the board. it can be a bit hard at times, because for sure one of the tabs needs to be cut down a little bit to fit through the slot that battery tabs usually would go through. i did one on my adventure of link to test it, and it was a bit hard mostly due to me not having a good set of cutters to get one of the tabs to size.

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:09:57 PM
85collector (49)
< Meka Chicken >
Virginia
Huh. So no one knows of one of these things made specifically for game cartridges? but it sounds like these ones are ok. Maybe I'll try one out, I have a game that I'm replacing the battery on one of these days

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:32:15 PM
Nes Freak (31)
(Dave ) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
I have the ones off ebay and i havent needed to cut them down to fit in the solder hole on the board. so my guess it some game are smaller holes than others im not sure. ive only had to replace 2 battreys out of the 3000 games i have so far.  ive looked high and low for the smallest batt holder and i can conclude that these are the best one. so id go for these if i were you. any ways its not hard to clip them i think even a nail clipper will cut it lol.

just a quick note though becareful bending them down to fit them in there are very fragile and can break off

Edited: 08/16/2014 at 08:33 PM by Nes Freak

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:42:31 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: nes freak

I have the ones off ebay and i havent needed to cut them down to fit in the solder hole on the board. so my guess it some game are smaller holes than others im not sure. ive only had to replace 2 battreys out of the 3000 games i have so far.  ive looked high and low for the smallest batt holder and i can conclude that these are the best one. so id go for these if i were you. any ways its not hard to clip them i think even a nail clipper will cut it lol.

just a quick note though becareful bending them down to fit them in there are very fragile and can break off
When I replaced SMRPG battery, it did not need trimming either. Maybe some games need it; others don't.

Be careful when bending up the smaller tab. It's easy to dislodge the minus battery clip. My SMRPG batt holder got slightly malformed, but held the battery just fine anyways.

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:29:13 PM
Nes Freak (31)
(Dave ) < Ridley Wrangler >
California
Originally posted by: stardust4ever

Originally posted by: nes freak

When I replaced SMRPG battery, it did not need trimming either. Maybe some games need it; others don't.

Be careful when bending up the smaller tab. It's easy to dislodge the minus battery clip. My SMRPG batt holder got slightly malformed, but held the battery just fine anyways.

Yeah ive had those pop out of place i just push it back down. thanks for telling me though.

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:59:58 PM
dav3yb (39)
(david ) < Meka Chicken >
Mississippi
I suspect the SNES games wont need as much modifying to fit the tabs in, but the NES games seem to have one larger tab slot and a smaller one, probably made that way to help keep the battery from being installed backwards.

I had to cut down, i think the negative end a bit to fit into the thinner slot.

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:05:51 PM
Jazzmarazz (1)
Michigan
Originally posted by: dav3yb

I suspect the SNES games wont need as much modifying to fit the tabs in, but the NES games seem to have one larger tab slot and a smaller one, probably made that way to help keep the battery from being installed backwards.

I think taht is the reason too. One of these should be part of every handman's collection:
http://www.radioshack.com/product...

Edited: 08/17/2014 at 07:06 PM by Jazzmarazz

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:30:04 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Jazzmarazz

I think taht is the reason too. One of these should be part of every handman's collection:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932529
The diagonal cutters you linked to have two one-star reviews...

Aug 18, 2014 at 7:33:43 PM
Jazzmarazz (1)
Michigan
Originally posted by: stardust4ever

Originally posted by: Jazzmarazz

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932529
The diagonal cutters you linked to have two one-star reviews...

I saw that lol. I would give them 5 stars since I use them virtually every day in my office (and on things I prefer not to mention like bushes near my trashcans outside) Hahaha....

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:50:22 AM
kjps86 (1)

(Keenan Smith) < Cherub >
United States
Apologies for the necropost, but can anyone verify if the eBay holders will work on an OEM N64 memory pak? I need to replace the battery on one and would like to future proof it with a snap in holder if possible.

Dec 31, 2014 at 1:52:42 PM
ulasamosa (280)
(James Ulizza) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: kjps86

Apologies for the necropost, but can anyone verify if the eBay holders will work on an OEM N64 memory pak? I need to replace the battery on one and would like to future proof it with a snap in holder if possible.

The mounting holes are the same spacing but Im not sure if it will close up.  Ill try one later and let you know.

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:58:31 PM
kjps86 (1)

(Keenan Smith) < Cherub >
United States
That would be awesome. I am especially curious since it is such a tiny space.

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:31:34 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
I only ever had experience Performance Brand N64 Mempaks which use a holder. Phillips screwdriver opens it. If you're quick, you can swap batteries without losing your saves.

Jan 1, 2015 at 12:01:55 AM
AsmikAce (97)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
I buy my batteries from Consoles5. You can pick up other stuff like cap kits and other replacement parts from there.