Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Best Game on the SNES, and bet you've never played it! I would like to highlight what I think is the best game ever made for the snes...

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:29:54 AM
Zwario (30)
(Carlos Monoz) < Meka Chicken >
California
Ok guys, now I know everyone has their favorite for the SNES... sometimes your favorite even changes, My favorites for this system have changed over the years, FF3, then Chrono Trigger, then Earthbound, then Metroid...

But now, with the Magic of the Internet and Translated Roms of games we never recieved from Japan... I give you, what I think is the best game on the SNES and I will explain why below:

This Awesome game is brought to you by Squaresoft in Feb of 1996, who just 11 months later would bring you Final Fantasy 7! 

Now before you guys click off somewhere else, and mutter... "I've played a few of those 'Front Mission' games and they suck... all Tactical RPG's an junk!", let me just say that I agree with you!!

I have also played a few of the other Front Mission games... and they are not very fun, unless you LOVE tactical RPG's...

This game however... Let's just call it "GUN HAZARD", and I will try an explain it's glory to you

1) This was released in 1996 by one of the best Software companies ever Squaresoft, so I don't need to tell you, but I will, the Graphics and Sprites in this game are off the CHART for the SNES

2) The sound affects, and Music are also some of the best I have ever heard, and believe me, I have heard too many SNES games over the years

3) The Story and Gameplay are Phenominal, and are Far better than most of the games released today!

Why you should at least Youtube this game... if not get a Rom, and play this little Gem:

Basically this game is a mix of Super Metroid, Contra 3, Megaman X, and Final Fantasy 3 / 6 !! (with a little Blaster Master thrown in)

Here's what you need to know:

1) You play at a dude, with a Giant Awesome Mech (Wanzer), that you can get in and out of whenever you want,
2) Each Level you play Contra / Megaman X style and have to gun your way through a bunch of baddies to get to the end of the level
3) depending on the missions you completed along the way, and how many baddies you killed, you will get money to upgrade your Mech's guns, or your Handguns for when you are messing around outside your Mech,
4) you will meet a host of other Friendly Mech's that can join you and fight along beside you in these scrolling levels, and they come in handy for Boss battles, and each have special abiliities!! (awesome)

That's about all I can tell you, without spoiling the AWESOME storyline

Trust me, you owe it to yourself, and this very Awesome game to at least look into it!!

and as a little BTW to all of you Repro Makers out there.... GET ON THIS ONE.... it's Great!!
(oh, and a special thanks to Aeon Genesis for the Translation!!  you guys Rock)

Keep Playing

Zwario

Edited: 08/28/2012 at 11:30 AM by Zwario

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:49:49 AM
ankermane (49)
(Erik ) < Kraid Killer >
California
Looks pretty cool, I must say. Anyone you know gonna be making CIBs of this bad boy?

-------------------------

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:53:45 AM
Luke00016 (32)
(Luke Elser) < Meka Chicken >
West Virginia
Never played it, definitely have to check it out.

And can I just say, I love the design work on this game - the style Squaresoft was using for games like FFVI was so cool.

Building a CIB NES collection.  Currently at 109 CIB!  PM me with CIBs you have for sale!

Check out my FS/WTB thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:26:45 PM
gamerdude27 (12)
(Nic ) < Eggplant Wizard >
New Brunswick
gonna check it out for sure I love me some retro squaresoft

Looking for a Turbo Duo.

See the full list if my wtb here
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

PM me whenever I'm always looking for some great games.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:36:20 PM
sadikyo (89)
(Sadik Yo) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: Luke00016

And can I just say, I love the design work on this game - the style Squaresoft was using for games like FFVI was so cool.

If you're talking about the artwook on the box / cart - it is definitely Yoshitaka Amano.  I have several of his books and they are amazing!

Hello!  I want your "ATLUS" stuff!  Please see my list or send me a PM if you have cool ATLUS stuff!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:05:48 PM
War Pig (185)
(Hellooooooooooooooo Midwest. Oh how I've missed u) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
Originally posted by: ankermane

Looks pretty cool, I must say. Anyone you know gonna be making CIBs of this bad boy?

+1.  inquiring minds want to know!

-Eric

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:11:41 PM
demanufacturedmario (86)
(A J) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
A repro of this would be sweet...I'd be in on that!

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:29:17 PM
Indigo_Streetlight (48)
(John Smith) < Kraid Killer >
Maryland
It looks like an upscale version of Cybernator, I can dig it.

That night the Captain’s granddaughter
Would celebrate her birthday
“I’ve come a long way,” said the Captain,
“From Lost Christabel this night.
Accompanied by my dog familiar,
To blast your rafters with my surprise.
Granddaughter, It’s a foreign mirror
Taken from the jungle by crime!”

~ Blue Oyster Cult - Magna of Illusion

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:30:01 PM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
I've heard of it, I just blew it off because as you said tactical rpgs suck and that's what Front Mission does, that and it's in Japanese. If this is just some isometric or side scrolling contra/mmx wannabe with upgrades like an RPG will give then yeah it probably is worth playing.

Aug 28, 2012 at 2:53:14 PM
Zwario (30)
California
Originally posted by: Indigo_Streetlight

It looks like an upscale version of Cybernator, I can dig it.

I do believe I read somewhere that the Clever Japanese Gents who made Assault Suits Valken aka Cybernator, did work on this game for Squaresoft! Good call, I'll have my minions look into this!

Aug 28, 2012 at 2:59:53 PM
Piko (51)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< King Solomon >
New Hampshire
I will be releasing this repro soon. Just beofore the CIB releases I'll make stay tune. price 50 USD for cart only, no donor carts used.

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:25:41 PM
Zwario (30)
California
@Pichichi, that's great!! I will def be ordering one for my Buddy, (i finally talked him in to giving it a try, and know he's gonna Love it!!). Message me when you get em ready to sell, and If you want the Label Art I made for mine, let me know

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:59:03 PM
Piko (51)
< King Solomon >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: Zwario

@Pichichi, that's great!! I will def be ordering one for my Buddy, (i finally talked him in to giving it a try, and know he's gonna Love it!!). Message me when you get em ready to sell, and If you want the Label Art I made for mine, let me know

Thanks I'll hit you up!

Probably 1 month from now there will be a release of 6 different Repro titles!

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:40:29 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: sadikyo

Originally posted by: Luke00016

If you're talking about the artwook on the box / cart - it is definitely Yoshitaka Amano.  I have several of his books and they are amazing!

Yep,although I prefer Akira Toriyama's art, Amano's is pretty awesome.

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:07:00 AM
Steve (12)
(Steve RVG) < Lolo Lord >
United States
Super Play Magazine was BIG on this game. I have yet to play it, myself.

RVGFANATIC | SNES reviews and remembrances

RELIVE | REPLAY | REMEMBER

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:21:39 PM
Piko (51)
< King Solomon >
New Hampshire
Hey I just made the Label for Gun Hazard

Let me know what you think:

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:14:06 AM
Tanooki (185)
(The Wind Waker) < Bonk >
Kentucky
Nice label, looks official which I can really appreciate.

I really need to look more into this game and see if I can get into it.

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:40:24 AM
themaxvoltage (43)
(Max ) < El Ripper >
California
If there is a CIB of this coming down the pipe, sign me up; I am all over this bad boy.

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:52:29 AM
Piko (51)
< King Solomon >
New Hampshire
Not CIB from my part but may be we can ask Unclue Tusk to star developing boxes and Manuals for this game!

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:33:59 AM
Zwario (30)
California
Very Nice Label Pichichi!

Definitely see if Vince has plans for a Box of this game, I'm still hoping his next is Radical Dreamers though!

I really like the Artwork of the Super Famicom Box, and the manual it comes with has some great Artwork in it as well (top picture)

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:38:43 PM
Zwario (30)
California
Anybody try this one yet? What do you think?

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:06:53 AM
ragimaz (7)
(Robin J) < Tourian Tourist >
Sweden
Love it. I've never been a fan of anything involving mechs, but this really is a great game. I like the constant upgrading and that it is quite challenging sometimes. The only thing that bothers me is the followers, who insist on trying to stand in my line of fire all the time.

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:12:10 AM
Steve (12)
United States
I actually did play it for a few minutes a few weeks back. From what I played, I enjoyed it. Didn't stick with it though, but it's one of those games I'll have to "officially buy" and devote some serious time to. It has a lot of fans and usually, so many people can't be wrong, heh.

Zwario, have you ever tried BS Out of Bounds Golf? I'd put that one up there with any other "best unknown SNES games" one could rattle off. It is truly unknown as it was never officially released on cartridge. Check it out if you never did, it's a lotta fun!

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:18:10 AM
Shinju (53)
(Nintendo Collector) < Ridley Wrangler >
Washington
I won a translated repro on guess the cart #23, I haven't got to play it yet but I did demo it for a few minutes and it looks pretty in-depth.

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:30:59 AM
Steve (12)
United States
zwario, thank you for your enthusiastic post. I find myself now more intrigued with this game than ever, and am definitely putting it on my "to-get" and "to-beat" list.

I guess all these years I always just dismissed it as a tactical RPG like you said. But I read your description more clearly this time and it sounds totally bad-ass. Cheers!