Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2019 Weekly Contests Presents: Pac-Mania Contest ends Sunday, 10/13/19 at 11 PM NA Time

Oct 14 at 1:01:14 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: barrels

Originally posted by: mbd39

Oh no, I thought that poor barrels was going to have his first win this week.  

I tried some tonight and couldn't get anything going.

Hah I know right? Was excited for a few minutes.

It's unfortunate that the final game is a shooter or you could have possibly made top three this year.

I should have been top three easily but I was really slacking lol.

As was the case with Zoda's Revenge, sadly I think I missed out simply because I ran out of time. I hadn't peaked yet on either title but my "daddy's girl" poached the remainder of the weekend from me. 

C'est la vie. 

Top 3 or not, despite the lack of participation and general black clouds over NA these days, I'm having fun and that's all I care about  

I wonder if we'll eventually be moving pver to a new board. I hope not, because that would hurt participation even more. But this board does go down a lot.

-------------------------
Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Oct 14 at 1:07:02 PM
8bitdontquit (1)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
Sorry Barrels, for what it's worth. i shouldn't be , this being a competition and all but i legitimately feel bad .

Moe: Back when I was Gorgeous, everybody wanted a piece of me. But somehow, I just never made it to the big time. Homer: Why not? Moe: 'Cause I got knocked out forty times in a row. That, plus politics. You know, it's all politics. Homer: [glaring] Lousy democrats.

Oct 14 at 1:10:08 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
That's my impression, and in one of the threads, Bea was directly replied to about just this topic. I'd hate to think a sudden 503 error (which are becoming more and more frequent since the changeover) prevents a player from submitting a score.

... and take Skinny's ban, for example. While temporary, it was only because the existing mods were unaware of the scope of the moderator "bug" he encountered. That speaks a lot to the tedious nature and lack of control and confidence in the current software. Once they realized how superficial the bug was, his account was restored. Had the ban persisted, and it was a pivotal week, as a strong player it would really ravage the outcome.

We'll simply have to move, else go down with the ship. It sounds like Bea is ready and willing to relaunch the contests on the new site, so we'll just have to wait and see. Maybe we can allow a bi-directional/ multi-site contest during the transition?

Oct 14 at 1:12:43 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: 8bitdontquit

Sorry Barrels, for what it's worth. i shouldn't be , this being a competition and all but i legitimately feel bad .

lolwut? I'm legitimately the shittiest video game player in these contests. And I genuinely mean that, and I don't lose sleep over it.

I am only in these contests to get myself out of my comfort zone and play games I otherwise wouldn't touch. For example, I've owned Pac Mania for years (and completed my loose Tengen set over 5 years ago) and had never played it. Of course, I emulated this week, but that was due to chaos at home.

I grew up playing and loving StarTropics but had never really given the sequel a chance. Now I can say I did. These contests are amazing.

Do not feel bad good sir. I feel a bit bad being in the top 4 because I legitimately don't belong there, hah.

Oct 14 at 1:33:31 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I don't know what high score strat everyone was using, but if you start on level 4 and then not eat any power pellets it will force the red pill. You can rack up huge points with the red pill as long as you don't die.

I should have put more time into this game.

Oct 14 at 1:43:42 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California

I don't know what high score strat everyone was using, but if you start on level 4 and then not eat any power pellets it will force the red pill. You can rack up huge points with the red pill as long as you don't die.

Exactly what I did. However, I didn't think you needed to abstain from power pellets; I'm pretty sure I was consistently getting them after collecting the fruit and moving around sufficiently, even if I got a power pellet. However, I could be wrong.

And yes, so long as you didn't die you could rack up serious points (7600/per after the first two ghosts). I don't know if you realized this, but it carries over to the next level as well so long as you don't die!

I was also able to consistently get a red pellet on level 6 as well (first stairs), though it took a bit longer to generate.

Edited: 10/14/2019 at 01:44 PM by barrels

Oct 14 at 1:46:33 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Exactly what I did. However, I didn't think you needed to abstain from power pellets; I'm pretty sure I was consistently getting them after collecting the fruit and moving around sufficiently, even if I got a power pellet. However, I could be wrong.

And yes, so long as you didn't die you could rack up serious points (7600/per after the first two ghosts). I don't know if you realized this, but it carries over to the next level as well so long as you don't die!

I was also able to consistently get a red pellet on level 6 as well (first stairs), though it took a bit longer to generate.

I just tried and it gave me a green pill because I ate a power pellet. Don't eat them and you always get the red one.

Oct 14 at 1:50:19 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
For all that is worth, I will give the contest a run over the new forum.
It will be a last huzzah for it. If we get participation (aka, at least 5 or 6 people post scores every week), it will be staying.
Otherwise, I cannot promise it will survive 2021.

For now I got a crazy tournament to plan. I have zero idea how I will run it.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Oct 14 at 1:51:26 PM
barrels (149)
< Bowser >
California

I just tried and it gave me a green pill because I ate a power pellet. Don't eat them and you always get the red one.

good to know, guess I wasn't paying enough attention.

But yeah, once I started getting red pellets consistently it drastically altered scores.

Oct 14 at 2:01:54 PM
8bitdontquit (1)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Virginia
If at first level you eat a power pellet right away before the fruit appears, a red bonus will show up instead of green after you eat the fruit, if you don't die you can rack points quick.. Can't wait for tournament details

Moe: Back when I was Gorgeous, everybody wanted a piece of me. But somehow, I just never made it to the big time. Homer: Why not? Moe: 'Cause I got knocked out forty times in a row. That, plus politics. You know, it's all politics. Homer: [glaring] Lousy democrats.

Oct 14 at 2:11:40 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: 8bitdontquit

If at first level you eat a power pellet right away before the fruit appears, a red bonus will show up instead of green after you eat the fruit, if you don't die you can rack points quick.. Can't wait for tournament details

I didn't figure out how to force the red pill on the first level. That's good to know. It's probably better points-wise to start on the first level with that information.