Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Looking for Volunteers to "Adopt a Letter"

Nov 17, 2006 at 1:31:27 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Ok, I hate begging, but I'm half tempted to start

I've got an idea that will help populate missing information and would really love some help. If you're up for the challenge, and have some time, I'd like to extend the offer to each member here to "Adopt a Letter". Start off by picking a letter (A-Z) . Once you post which letter you'd like to adopt, you'll be responsible for tracking down some key information about games that start with that letter.

For example, I'll take all games that start with a number (0-9) for openers. The initial information we're looking for is:

1.) How many players can play?

Choices:

1-Player
2-Player Alternating
2-Player Alternating / Simultaneous
2-Player Simultaneous
3-Player Simultaneous
4-Player Alternating
4-Player Simultaneous
6-Player Alternating
6-Player Simultaneous
8-Player Alternating

If an option is missing, let me know.

2.) UPC Code

Look on the back box scan for this info.

3.) Is there an option for extended play?

Choices:

Battery (saved game)
Continues (how many?)
Password

If an option is missing, let me know.

If all of us adopted one or two letters each, we could gather this information very quickly. Most of this information is not region-specific (other than UPC), so it will cascade across regions easily. I'm really gunning for acuracy, so please try not to guess on any of this info.

Any takers?

-Dain

Nov 17, 2006 at 3:46:37 PM
pseudonym (39)
(Jack N.) < Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
I can help since I'll have some free time all this week. What do you mean by extended play though? I'll take A if that's alright.

-------------------------

Nov 17, 2006 at 4:10:08 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Cool, thanks for volunteering. Extended play is the mechanism (if any) within the game to continue your play, such as a set number of continues, a game that uses a battery to save their game, or a password/code feature to type in to pick up where you left off. Or, one that doesn't fit within those 3 categories.

-Dain

Nov 17, 2006 at 6:15:20 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Sounds like fun, I am of course in. I will take the back end of the alphabet and work toward ya. I will take X Y and Z to start since there aren't many games in any of those letters really.
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Nov 25, 2006 at 6:24:23 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Anyone else?

Nov 25, 2006 at 9:04:07 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
I could take I...I currently own all but 5 of the US releases. Oh, and I believe that Romance of the Three Kingdoms II could be played by 12 players alternating...Yes, you read that right...

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Jan 21, 2007 at 8:55:21 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Z is done, and Y is done except for uploading the info. Come on people we could use some gap fillers....
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Jan 21, 2007 at 9:26:00 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Wow, I've been neglecting this shit :-/ I'll have to stop procrastinating here and get to work

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Jan 25, 2007 at 2:56:40 AM
Rorschach (8)
(Dan N) < Junior Member >
Ontario
I'll take E, G and Q.

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:33:27 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Thanks, Rorschach -- we appreciate the help! NationalGameDepot is heading up this project, so if you can send him the info, he'll update the site to reflect what you've got.

-Dain

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:03:41 PM
BootGod (16)
(Mark Lacey) < Meka Chicken >
Minnesota
Just FYI, Dain, I recently started going over publisher,developer,porter information in great detail. IMO, this is one area that has the greatest amount of mis-information. I'm storing both the common name and the full legal names of the companies as well. I had to do some restructuring to the DB / site, so it's currently offline to the public. Anyways, once I've finished up we can work out some automated way to update your side as well.

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:25:00 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
Any help in that area would be really helpful. I know that a lot of the info on the site is "kind of" correct, but not as detailed as it should be. Do you think I should add additional fields, such as porter? I only have two right now, one being developer and the other being publisher. I though about even doing manufacturer, distributor, etc...

-Dain

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:31:10 PM
BootGod (16)
Minnesota
I have been torn over how to deal with the original developer and porter, so I decided to just log both of them for now. If I were to pick between one or the other, I would go with the porter I think, because they actually wrote program even though it was developed by someone else.

Jan 25, 2007 at 9:40:12 PM
BootGod (16)
Minnesota
Oh one other note, I am also differentiating between regional branches of companies. For instance Capcom games are published by Capcom USA, Inc. and developed by Capcom Co., Ltd.

Jan 28, 2007 at 9:03:27 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Last few pictures from one of my favorite games that I beat monthly...
PUNISHER of course!!

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Jan 29, 2007 at 1:48:54 AM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington
Another one of my favorites... although this one is alot harder to beat for me than Punisher!

Last few pics of Kid Icarus

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!

Feb 5, 2007 at 12:55:50 PM
Roth (67)
(Rob Bryant) < Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Quick question about the extended play portion. Some games only give you this when you meet a certain criteria. For instance, on Double Dragon III, you don't get any continues unless you make it to the last level. Then you only get one continue.

Another one is on Bionic Commando. You get continues by picking up the eagle icons on the overhead battles.

I was just wondering if these games would be classified just under continues, or if there would be a branch-off from the Continues option, called maybe, Continue Via Criteria or something similar.

http://slydogstudios.org...

Feb 6, 2007 at 6:31:39 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington
Couldn't resist adding a pic of the end of one of my favorite NES games! Beat it no death on a montly basis! Too fun!