Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Best CRT TV to game on? NES

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:04:11 AM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
Opinions? I heard Sony Wega or the Trinitron are the best. No/Yes? 

-------------------------
Completed - 676/677 US NES NTSC

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:08:21 AM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan
I always hear that the Trinitron is the best although I have yet to find one. I am still hoping, though.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:12:14 AM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: jerbloopy

I always hear that the Trinitron is the best although I have yet to find one. I am still hoping, though.

Plently in my area on CL. I'm thinking about picking up a Triny or a Wega. I just wanted to hear some opinions first. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:13:14 AM
LastCat (73)
(Top Cat) < Lolo Lord >
Puerto Rico
Trinity is best at least in my opinion.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:13:57 AM
Jerbilly (62)
Michigan
Originally posted by: Crazy4NES

Plently in my area on CL. I'm thinking about picking up a Triny or a Wega. I just wanted to hear some opinions first. 

I don't know enough but I would say Trinitron just because that seems to be the general consensus. Oddly enough, there used to be CRTs up the wazoo aroudn here in the thrift stores but they seem to have practically disappaered overnight.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:17:37 AM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts

I don't know enough but I would say Trinitron just because that seems to be the general consensus. Oddly enough, there used to be CRTs up the wazoo aroudn here in the thrift stores but they seem to have practically disappaered overnight.

The popularity of retro gaming prob has something to do with that....

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:19:37 AM
Jerbilly (62)
Michigan

Oh, I mean that they no longer even carry them. Which is really odd considering how popular it is now! Seems like a rather backward plan, but I have no idea what they do with the ones they get. Maybe sell 'em online?

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:19:46 AM
LastCat (73)
(Top Cat) < Lolo Lord >
Puerto Rico
I know there's this mickey mouse shaped TV that's really good for retro consoles and has sharp image quality too. Bad thing is that it doesn't have S-Video.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:20:54 AM
quiet451 (45)
(Schlitz Barrelman) < Meka Chicken >
United States
It really depends on what you are looking to hook up to it. Anything pre-Xbox/PS2 era (480p+), I would say grab any flat panel 480i TV with composite/S-video/component input. The later the manufacturer date, the better. I tend to look for anything built after 2000. I'm partial to Sony, JVC and Toshiba for the best video quality. Sony usually has the best built in speakers. Try and test before you buy it. Trinitrons are great, but there are also plenty of Trinitrons out there with absolutely terrible geometry. The Trinitron FS100 or FS120 models are very common and if you can find one in nice condition it will serve you well. Good luck.

Edited: 12/02/2015 at 12:24 AM by quiet451

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:23:37 AM
quiet451 (45)
(Schlitz Barrelman) < Meka Chicken >
United States

Oh, I mean that they no longer even carry them. Which is really odd considering how popular it is now! Seems like a rather backward plan, but I have no idea what they do with the ones they get. Maybe sell 'em online?

Almost all of the thrift stores in my area stopped carrying CRT TVs this year.  I asked a local manager about this and he said it wasn't worth the hassle for the amount of room they take up and low price they charge.  He said they would often sit on the floor for months at a time.  Thank God for the classifieds.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:26:58 AM
Crazy4NES (40)
(B ) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: quiet451

It really depends on what you are looking to hook up to it. Anything pre-Xbox/PS2 era (480p+), I would say grab any flat panel 480i TV with composite/S-video/component input. The later the manufacturer date, the better. I tend to look for anything built after 2000. I'm partial to Sony, JVC and Toshiba for the best video quality. Sony usually has the best built in speakers. Try and test before you buy it. Trinitrons are great, but there are also plenty of Trinitrons out there with absolutely terrible geometry. The Trinitron FS100 or FS120 models are very common and if you can find one in nice condition it will serve you well. Good luck.

Thanks for the imput

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:33:45 AM
Kickmeister (7)
(Joeyjoejoe Shabadoo Jr.) < Meka Chicken >
Massachusetts
I'm sure there are other TVs with picture quality as good as the Trinitron, but Sony was the major force behind the flat panel technology and made a variety of CRTs with it. I think Toshiba and at least one other company made very similar CRTs, but I couldn't even tell you what they called those models. Long story short, Trinitrons are relatively easy to find and find info about compared to the flat panel CRTs made by other companies.

They're also incredibly heavy. If you're looking to buy one, bring a friend or two and a truck. The 24-inch Trinitron I picked up a couple of years ago weighted 40 pounds more than the ordinary 24-inch Sharp CRT it replaced.

Dec 2, 2015 at 12:54:17 AM
Webhead123 (30)
(Jordan S.) < El Ripper >
Texas
I use a Toshiba 20" flat-screen CRT (I'll try to pull the model # if interested) based on the recommendation of another retro-enthusiast and it looks incredible. I was also pleased that it sported two RCA inputs (one front and one rear), one RF, one S-Video and one Component, making it very friendly to multiple, simultaneous hook ups.

A lot of people seem to recommend Trinitrons, though I've not seen the results first-hand, so I can't compare. Before I heard about/found my Toshiba, I was looking for a Trinitron but most of them were either too far away, didn't have the proper connections, or were priced higher than I was willing to pay.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Now Playing: Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove (Switch)
Last Beaten: Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-2929-9013-9208

Edited: 12/02/2015 at 12:55 AM by Webhead123

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:11:32 AM
teh lurv (118)
< King Solomon >
Massachusetts
You really can't go wrong with any modern CRT TV. I'd recommend looking for a CRT TV manufactured in the early 2000s. Most TVs at that point had s-video/component video inputs to accommodate DVD players and you're less likely to get a TV with age related issues.

My son... gives me Helpful Nintendo Hints that are far too complex for the adult mind to comprehend. Here's a verbatim example: "OK, there's Ganon and miniature Ganon and there's these things like jelly beans and the miniature Ganon is more powerfuller, because when you touch him the flying eagles come down and the octopus shoots red rocks and the swamp takes longer." And the hell of it is, I know he's right. - Dave Barry

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:15:05 AM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Trinitrons are awesome.

I just gave mine away after getting the XRGB.

The picture is fantastic and the flat screen makes it even better.

You just have to make sure you get one that is still holding up. Bring an nes with you to test it out before you buy it.

That's what i did well a SNES. But same thing.

gamevaluenow

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:08:54 AM
romiked2689 (60)
< Lolo Lord >
Maryland
Ultimate is Sony pvm. Since its hooked up thru Rgb you can't get better colors.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:02:10 AM
Silius (11)
(. Y .) < Eggplant Wizard >
Switzerland
Well, IMO the best CRT TVs are the regular cheap ones that can be found in any second hand store - that's the way I remember playing the NES back then. It's even better if the CRT TV is wrapped in wood grain veneer

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:11:23 AM
KAMIKAWA (25)
(Keith Kamikawa) < Kraid Killer >
Wisconsin
Commodore 1702 monitor everything else is too big and heavy

For Sale: Limited Run Games http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Check out my Virtual Reality game PolyAquatic out now on iOS for Google Cardboard!
Coming Soon to Oculus Rift! 
http://polyaquatic.com/...

If you're looking for game art, pixel, 3D, or graphic design hit me up!
https://keithkamikawa.com/...

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:38:43 AM
Ozzy_98 (8)
< Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: teh lurv

You really can't go wrong with any modern CRT TV. I'd recommend looking for a CRT TV manufactured in the early 2000s. Most TVs at that point had s-video/component video inputs to accommodate DVD players and you're less likely to get a TV with age related issues.

You can with sylvania, piece of shit TV.  Huge amount of overscan, non-adjustable even if you take it apart, or at least I've never found\seen anything like a pot to adjust for it.

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:44:21 AM
Silent Hill (131)
(A-A-Ron ) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Webhead123

I use a Toshiba 20" flat-screen CRT (I'll try to pull the model # if interested) based on the recommendation of another retro-enthusiast and it looks incredible. I was also pleased that it sported two RCA inputs (one front and one rear), one RF, one S-Video and one Component, making it very friendly to multiple, simultaneous hook ups.

A lot of people seem to recommend Trinitrons, though I've not seen the results first-hand, so I can't compare. Before I heard about/found my Toshiba, I was looking for a Trinitron but most of them were either too far away, didn't have the proper connections, or were priced higher than I was willing to pay.
This is the one I use, sounds like the same:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-20A...

Best CRT I've ever had. I've got two of them in fact. One from a garage sale, the other from the thrift store. Joe from Game Sack also uses it primarily. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:16:49 AM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
I use a PVM for all of my older (mono) and RF devices (stereo, running through a VCR). If I want stereo sound then I use a Sylvania (the overscan is kind of charming). I have a giant Trinitron that I hauled into my grandparent's basent before we moved, pushing and sliding it the whole way once it was actually inside the house (thanks to thesubcon for getting it there), but have never really used it. Not sure if I ever will either, since I don't think I can get it back out! Somewhere I have a Sharp TV, but it suffered the famous broken during shipping incident, and is patiently being repaired by AaronE (stellar guy, and a master at what he does!). That'll probably take the place of one of the above someday, despite its limitations.

Most thrift stores that I have seen have stopped carrying them as well, but there are tons at garage sales and I've even see Trinitrons sitting in front of people's houses. Buffalo has this weird tendency at even the nicer houses where people will leave old electronics or furniture in front of their houses for days. Salvation Army stores are a much better bet for TVs as well, some of the others have policies against accepting them, but these stores usually have a few.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:30:06 AM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: Silius

Well, IMO the best CRT TVs are the regular cheap ones that can be found in any second hand store - that's the way I remember playing the NES back then. It's even better if the CRT TV is wrapped in wood grain veneer
what he said

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:44:41 AM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Trinitrons are always highly sought after, but any good brand name flat screen will do the trick. I have a 28" Samsung and it works great, the best part is that it was free.

SW-6786-5095-2210

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:54:48 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
29'' Trinitron for me. Love it

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:30:16 PM
Faxanadude (21)
(A Winner Is You) < Kraid Killer >
North Carolina
Since everyone is aware of the Trinitron I will go with a less popular suggestion. Check out the SAMSUNG GX.

Edited: 12/02/2015 at 02:32 PM by Faxanadude