Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2016 Weekly Contests Presents: Double Dragon Contest ends Sunday, 4/17/16 at 11 PM NA time

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:45:09 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the Weekly Contests!  For the intro this week, it’s going to be a blast from the past.  For those of you who remember the 2014 intro to the Double Dragon contest, this should seem very familiar.  This is one of my favorite contest intros ever, so I want to share it with those that didn’t get to read it the first time around.  With several changes to make it fresh and entertaining, I hope you all will enjoy it.

So this week, I need everyone's help.  And I need it big time because I am in some really deep doo-doo right now.  This morning I was working on my car in the garage, and before you ask what kind of car it is, I drive a 6000 Sux.  What, you’re not familiar with it?  You know, it’s the one that drives really fast and gets really bad gas mileage.  Yeah, that one!  Anyway, my girlfriend Marian is there (you know, the really hot girl with the tramp stamp dragon tattoo) and decides to go get us some lunch from this new place called Panic Restaurant.  She ordered a chicken sandwich and I ordered something like eight hotdogs because I didn’t eat my Wheaties that morning and was SUPER hungry.  Then she starts nagging me about eating too much.  Marian is all like “You shouldn’t eat so much at one time.  You’re going to get fat.  Don’t eat too many hotdogs!”  Blah, blah, blah, blah, BLAH!  You know how women can be.  Geez!  Anyway, I said “Fine!  I’ll only order FIVE hotdogs!”  I hand her the money and she mutters something about me still eating too many hotdogs as she leaves through the open garage door.  No sooner does she walk out of the garage, I hear her scream.  I roll out from under the car and rush outside, fearing the worst, like she saw a spider or saw some crazy old guy riding his bike down the street in his underwear.  To my surprise, I see some ugly dude in a vest throwing Marian over his shoulder.  Before I can act, this huge bald guy throws me against the wall and I blackout.  What's that you say?  What did he look like?  I didn't get a good look at him, but I know he wasn't Karnov or Bald Bull or Soda Popinski or Jerbilly.  So, I wake up with a pounding headache  and my mouth oddly tasting like a dirty fart and notice a note pinned to my shirt.  I unfold the note and this is what I see scrawled across the paper:

“Bimmy,

I have your girl, Marian.  Man is she ever hot!  This is revenge for putting that rubber snake in my bed.  You know I hate snakes.  If you want Marian back, come find me in my fort.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Your cool brother,
Jimmy

P.S. We also let the air out of your car tires, stole all your ice cube trays, and pulled all the bookmarks out of your books!  Now you'll never know where you left off in How to Win at Nintendo Games!  HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!  Oh, and Abobo plugged up your toilet.  He said he wanted to leave you a “Super C surprise” hahahahaha!!!!  You might want to call a plumber.  Oh yeah, and he may have farted in your open mouth a few times.  He ate a bunch of hard-boiled eggs this afternoon and now he has stinky egg farts.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!  Seriously, though, they REALLY stink!”

Can you believe this!?  I put a rubber snake in Jimmy's bed as a harmless April Fool's Day prank and he kidnaps my girlfriend???  What kind of crap is this???  And he called me Bimmy!!  Like, hello, my name is Billy, not Bimmy.  Bimmy isn't even a real name!!  Get it right, moron!!  And YUCK!!!  Who farts in someone’s open mouth??  That’s totally disgusting!  Gag me with a spoon and get me like 50 breath mints.  The weirdest part about it is that I now have a strange craving for eggs.  Also, are any of you out there a plumber?  He wasn't kidding about what this Abobo guy did.  He totally wrecked my bathroom.  I didn't think it was possible for a human being to produce so much...Anyway, this is where I need your help, and not with the bathroom.  I need all of you to help me get to Jimmy's hideout so I can rescue Marian.  Help this Double Dragon get his revenge...hmmmm...Double Dragon...revenge...this gives me an idea for a sequel...Anyway, this is what you need to know to get me to my brother:

• Play until you lose your last life.  Take your picture while you are flashing or as you are falling into a pit (you can pause the game at this point).  If you allow Game Over to flash up on the screen, you will likely not have enough time to take your picture.
  • Get as far in the game as possible
  • Get as low of a score as possible
  • If you beat the game, take your picture when Billy Lee rescues Marian.  You can pause the game on this screen
  • No headbutting allowed
  • No weapons glitches allowed
  • You may not re-enter doorways to reset your life bar.  Doing so will result in your score being disqualified
  • Furthest progression wins with the lowest score taking precedence
  • Participation: Get to Mission 3 (The forest stage)
  • GENRE: Beat ‘Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 4/17/16 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 04/12/2016 at 05:49 PM by bimmy_lee

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:55:12 PM
bertsampson (11)
(Andrew Bradley) < Meka Chicken >
Washington
OFFICIAL SCOREBOARD
Double Dragon
 photo double-dragon-01_zpszsszzzm2.png
(Beat 'em Up)
Mod Completed 19,720 bearcat-doug
Mod Completed 59,820 bimmy_lee

Place Area Score Username
1 Completed 22,670 skinnygrinny
2 Completed 23,770 Brock Landers
3 Completed 24,060 BriGuy82
4 Completed 25,140 JamesRobot
5 Completed 25,930 ToxieRules
6 Completed 28,600 bertsampson
7 Completed 29,960 mbd39
8 Completed 34,090 Richardhead
Participation
9 Completed 38,310 gutsman004
10 Completed 57,690 SuperJimtendo
11 Mission 4 Final Room - Willy 45,220 Jandrem
12 Mission 4 Final Room - Willy 53,580 Seppatoni
13 Mission 4 Final Room - Willy 66,130 Twarwick07
14 Mission 4 Final Room - Linda 50,580 Ferris Bueller
15 Mission 4 Large Platform Area 38,680 xtremegamer
16 Mission 4 Large Platform Area 42,430 arnpoly
17 Mission 4 Large Platform Area 46,680 EgasKrad
18 Mission 4 Chintais 42,880 Commander Santa
19 Mission 4 Wall Blocks of Doom 38,560 barrelsAndRivets
20 Mission 3 Wall Climb Area 44,500 MegaMartyr
21 Mission 3 Chintais in Purple Cave 28,390 Stryphos
22 Mission 3 Beginning of Purple Cave 26,100 laddersandcakes
23 Mission 3 Ropers 26,230 zobber
24 Mission 3 Before Chintais 34,270 dirk12121212
25 Mission 3 Beginning 16,920 BingoRingo
26 Mission 3 Beginning 18,660 Mega Tank

Edited: 04/17/2016 at 11:55 PM by bertsampson

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:15:15 PM
skinnygrinny (68)
(a.k.a. the grinder. kobra kai! 42 foot tapeworm. Dragon kid. Sqoon kid. Surfer brah!) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Great I been practicing head butts all week lol

2016 - weekly contest "trash talker"

"...fated to pretend" - M.G.M.T.

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:25:39 PM
Richardhead (13)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Dammit! I've also been practicing head butts all week😁

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:31:09 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
19,720 - Game Completed (Contest Moderator Score, Does Not Count Towards Leaderboard)

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Edited: 04/13/2016 at 07:45 PM by bearcat-doug

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:32:32 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: skinnygrinny

Great I been practicing head butts all week lol

This is the one week that you don't want to score 50,000 points on Double Dragon like the kid from The Wizard.

Edited: 04/10/2016 at 02:37 PM by bearcat-doug

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:49:53 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
If you guys ever have a "Batman" contest, these rules would be the way to go. It's harder to 1cc that game with a low score than with a high one.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:10:15 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

25,800 - Game Completed (Contest Moderator Score, Does Not Count Towards Leaderboard)

What the hell?!?!  I didn't even beat the 3rd mission and my score was higher than that!!

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:12:24 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

I am so out of my league right now😳

Edited: 04/17/2016 at 06:52 PM by Richardhead

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:28:33 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Once again, total noob here

What are the weapon glitches, how does headbutting work, and how/what are the doorways?

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:47:38 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

What are the weapon glitches, how does headbutting work, and how/what are the doorways?

None of that matters since you can't do any of it😜

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:50:46 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I have to wait on mail to get Double Dragon....I thought I had it but apparently don't which is kind of effed up.

Might just practice on an emulator which will kind of suck and just hope it comes in the mail early on in the week.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:17:40 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Richardhead

Originally posted by: Brock Landers

None of that matters since you can't do any of it😜

The weapon glitch is something that basically has to be done on purpose, so if you don't know what it is, you aren't likely to do it by accident. Headbutts are pretty tough to do by accident as well. The one thing that probably could use clarification is the doorway question. The caves of Mission 3 require you to go through doorways to advance to the next section. Like the rules say, going back through a doorway that you just entered refills your life bar, so obviously doing so is forbidden. It also sends you back to the last section that you just went through and makes all of the enemies reappear, so it's not something that you would want to do in a low score contest anyway.

Edited: 04/10/2016 at 04:30 PM by bearcat-doug

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:26:09 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: mbd39

If you guys ever have a "Batman" contest, these rules would be the way to go. It's harder to 1cc that game with a low score than with a high one.

Apparently, the only time Batman was played was way back in 2011 and it was a 1 life contest. A low score Batman contest could always be something to consider for the future. Thanks for the suggestion!

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:36:04 PM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Wow, so many rules! Ha. I'm going to be stressed out playing worrying more about the rules than the game itself. But I look forward to giving it a go.

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:39:31 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Originally posted by: mbd39

Apparently, the only time Batman was played was way back in 2011 and it was a 1 life contest. A low score Batman contest could always be something to consider for the future. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, whenever I beat "Batman", I consider a lower score as indicating that I played a good game. It means less grinding was required. The B's actually mean something in a low score contest because you want to collect as few as possible.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:48:40 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: laddersandcakes

Wow, so many rules! Ha. I'm going to be stressed out playing worrying more about the rules than the game itself. But I look forward to giving it a go.

Actually, just trying to beat the game would be a good start since progress is the main goal. If multiple players have games that end in the same area, the tiebreakers go to the ones with the lowest scores first.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:02:21 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario
Wait so I just need to clarify one thing.....are we only allowed our last life?

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:14:03 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: ToxieRules

You're allowed to use all of your lives, you just need to pause the game and get your score before losing your last one since you can't pause once the game over screen comes up.

Edited: 04/10/2016 at 05:14 PM by bearcat-doug

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:14:44 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario

You're allowed to use all of your lives, you just need to pause the game and get your score before losing it since you can't pause once the game over screen comes up.

Ahhhh okay makes sense thanks man.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:23:13 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

You're allowed to use all of your lives, you just need to pause the game and get your score before losing your last one since you can't pause once the game over screen comes up.

No problem. The rules sound complicated, but the main goal is to get as far in the game as you can without getting a game over.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:25:51 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario

No problem. The rules sound complicated, but the main goal is to get as far in the game as you can without getting a game over.

Rules are fine...just try to clear the game and get a low score.

I don't know much about all that other stuff and feel like it won't even matter because it is just exploits....honestly never played DD1 that much played the hell out of 2 though.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:54:51 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States

I have to wait on mail to get Double Dragon....I thought I had it but apparently don't which is kind of effed up.

Might just practice on an emulator which will kind of suck and just hope it comes in the mail early on in the week.

This is exactly what happened to me with Pacman! I had fun with Pacman though, I did a lot better than I thought I would, but missing a few days for it was awful. 

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:57:27 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario
Originally posted by: Mega Tank

This is exactly what happened to me with Pacman! I had fun with Pacman though, I did a lot better than I thought I would, but missing a few days for it was awful. 

I honestly think I accidentally sold it in a lot because I know for a fact I had it....ah well.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:03:39 PM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
I have only played this game a few times, so I hope I can at least get participation!

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e