Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Should Stan's comic be published in future ezines?

Sep 2, 2008 at 5:38:54 AM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
Alright, plenty said about it in the other thread, but we live in a democratic society. Do you find it entertaining and should be published in the future or not?

-------------------------

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:13:56 AM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I don't like it, and I can see, clearly, why some people found this one to be in bad taste. I don't really think that has anything to do with whether it should be published or banned, though. I think there's a huge difference between asking me if I want to see something in the future and asking me if nobody should be allowed to see something in the future.

If you are asking me "should this comic be allowed," then yes.

If you are asking me "do you want to read this comic," then no.

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:40:39 AM
burdger (152)
(Ross Burdge) < Bowser >
Ohio
^agreed

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:42:54 AM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
Gee, I didn't even get a warning, like usual! If you vote and that's what's decided, fine, but there was simply a mistake in communication about his name usage, which is what the issue boils down to. If I said "Spick" you wouldn't have cared.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:53:03 AM
Zzap (47)
Australia
This is no way an officially sanctioned poll by the editors of the ezine, it's purely to gauge a feel for whether people want it in or not.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:58:50 AM
Stan (81)
Virginia
That's stupid then, this rests on the editors. There are articles people surely don't like, why don't we make threads about all of them and vote if people should be publishing/writing them in the future? Get a clue guys. That being said, I stand by what I said, if you decide you don't want it and the editors agree, I'm fine with it. I think it's funny you're attacking a guy who just pointed out facts about someone. At least if you kick me out I have all of these pages saved for my site.

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:06:10 AM
TheFrisbee (194)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Max (Ray) Frisbee) < Bowser >
Tennessee
I think just lay off the negative vibes homie. That would be a simple fix to me.

[18:07] osg: It is my lifelon goal to be in everyone's signature

Current project: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:11:54 AM
Stan (81)
Virginia
Well, duuuuuuuude, how about you guys learn to laugh at yourselves and stop taking yourselves so seriously?

Edited: 09/02/2008 at 09:14 AM by Stan

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:36:23 AM
daynum (0)
(daynum daynum) < Crack Trooper >
United Kingdom
I voted yes.

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:40:48 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
I told Nick yesterday over the phone that I misread his initial request to suppress his name. Nick said "real name or username" and I took real name as meaning his last name.

I spoke to Nick over the phone yesterday and apologized. I didn't really know what was going on as I've been so preoccupied with the expo preparations that I really didn't even give it a second thought. Nick sent me a message, I relayed it to Stan (or so I thought I did), and as far as I was concerned, it was taken care of. That's about as much thought as I put into it at the time. Again, I don't see the e-zine until the very last minute. I'm not saying that's an excuse, but it is a reality.

So instead of making this a poll about Stan's comic specifically, it should really be a poll about the e-zine in general. Should we keep the e-zine? If you reply, "Yes," then there's a risk something will get published that not everyone agrees with, as there's not enough time for everyone involved to review ever line of it. If you reply, "No," then you feel that it's better to play it safe than to risk it.

I'm really open for ideas here.

(BTW, there are 13 registered "Nicks" on this site

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:43:34 AM
Zzap (47)
Australia
I'm sure there's plenty of people who hate your comic and plenty who like it. Without having to publically voice their opinion (and come under fire from either side of the fence), this poll allows them to anonymously provide that opinion.

btw Stan, this poll is currently showing plenty of support for your comic (56% yes, 44% no), so I wouldn't be so quick to criticise the idea.

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:47:35 AM
langenfeld (279)
(Michael Langenfeld) < El Ripper >
Alabama
The issue never has been with the comic or the Ezine. I think we are getting a little off track. I feel as if the answer would be no to Stan's question "would anyone would have cared if I used another name" (not sure I recommend "spick" though). I for one don't mind your comic, I don't care for it, but I can just skip past it if I choose. My issue with this whole thing doesn't really have much to do with the comic or Nick for that matter, it was the willingness to outcast one of our own members publically.

Edited: 09/02/2008 at 09:48 AM by langenfeld

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:55:44 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: langenfeld

it was the willingness to outcast one of our own members publically.

Please read my post, Mike -- there's no evil conspiracy to outcast anyone. If you're disappointed, that's your choice. I assure you ousting people isn't something I aspire to do, and if you think that's my goal, you're sorely mistaken.

Sep 2, 2008 at 10:00:10 AM
langenfeld (279)
(Michael Langenfeld) < El Ripper >
Alabama
Dain, I did read your post my friend and am in no way laying blame on you. I think are used to taking the heat for far to much that goes on around here. How can anyone hold you responsible for everything that happens here?? Someone made the decision to write it and another to print it however, and THEY (representatives of NA) made a bad judgement call.

Sep 2, 2008 at 10:17:08 AM
OSG (28)
(PEEP and PAMP) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I personally have a difficult time taking that depiction of Nick even the slightest bit seriously.

If that means anything at all.

Sep 2, 2008 at 10:33:43 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
There needs to be another option. All future Stan comics shouldn't be cancelled, just the ones like the last which don't follow the generally accepted rules of no personal attacks. None of the previous comics before had this problem. Even though many people thought they were bad/stupid/unfunny it was still accepted. The comic doesn't have to be good to stay, just not offensive.

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:03:47 AM
burnambill333 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Nicholas Morgan) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
Yes, Stan should have the right to have his comic published.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:36:23 AM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
Stan should have the right to create comics for the ezine, but just as in any other publication, the editors should feel free to publish or not publish them as they see fit.

In any other magazine, if a cartoonist submitted a comic that an editor didn't feel best represented said magazine, it wouldn't make it to print. If Stan creates an offensive comic, and it doesn't make it into the 'zine, he can always find other ways to get it out there if he chooses.

Currently Playing: L.A. Noire
Currently Listening: Tyler the Creator - Goblin
Currently Watching: Workaholics, 5 Deadly Venoms

Sep 2, 2008 at 12:34:00 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia

As I said in the other thread, if Nick had come up to me PERSONALLY and asked to not be depicted, I wouldn't have. Therefore:

1. Dain made a little error in the name thing, he's a busy man.

2. Would have made more sense if Nick asked me DIRECTLY.

3. I didn't receive any forwarded PM about the name, only the last name bit, so that's why his name was used.

4. There is no way to pinpoint this EXACT Nick, until you guys started talking about it.

5. The final installment will redeem his honor (sort of, it's more of a warning to all).

6. I just realized what 'spick' means.  I was just throwing out nonsense and forgot it was actual slang.  I would have rather said something like 'Bjick.'

7. I don't mind the poll at all, actually.  I'm interested to see how much it is like and hated.

Edited: 09/02/2008 at 12:37 PM by Stan

Sep 2, 2008 at 12:56:27 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Stan

I would have rather said something like 'Bjick.'

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:32:18 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia
Neck and neck! Vrooooooooooooooooom!

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:42:19 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia
Go Faegly! In the lead, screeeeeeeeeeeeeee, vroooooooooooooooom.

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:07:05 PM
VileRedFalcon (21)
(Chris Hughes) < Meka Chicken >
United States
I personally am not a fan of Stan or his comics.

Yes, I do think that NA should continue to print his comics as long as his comics do not personally attack any single member of this wonderful website community. Maybe we just need to take a little more time to edit the publication before it hits the masses to avoid such controversies in the future (which has already been stated by other members in various threads).

I don't know if Stan was going for shock value with this recent comic of his, but if that was in fact his intention, then he sure hit the nail on the head.

*** WANTED ***
- 5 Screw Zelda Test Cart
- Rygar Poster
- Castlevania Box w/ hangtab

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:13:39 PM
Stan (81)
Virginia
I wasn't really actually, just poking fun. I expected maybe a little 'aw man, that's a tad mean,' but you guys really went off. Oh well, people will know what it is now. Buy a shirt!

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:39:22 PM
KennyB (14)
(No Go ogle result) < Eggplant Wizard >
Belgium
With all this fuzz, I can't wait to read the next part.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with Stan's comic. Nick has made a mistake in the past and he will be remembered of it from time to time. That's the consequences of his actions. Only problem I see is the name issue. Stan's should have checked with Nick himself, eliminating the possibility of a miscommunication (what happened).

I personally wouldn't mention his name because we are a relative small comunity. But if the e-zine was a newspaper, I wouldn't have a problem if a cartoonist made a personal comment about someone.