Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Hello, I'm Roger! Programmer for Secret Scout...

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:05:30 PM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah
Great read! It does look like it isnt that bad a game, and as mentioned above, I like the concept of not having the one-hit enemy (most notably the white ninja dude). Im guessing I wont ever have a cart version of it to try out (thats a little bit spendy for my means). Graphically, it looks as good as anything else NES, the music is catchy, and I like being able to knock enemies half way across the screen! I may have to find a way to pick this one up!

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:15:06 PM
MCMROSE (43)
(Matt "Halo fruit cake") < Kraid Killer >
Oregon
aw3some to have you, welcome!

-------------------------
mcmrose.com

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:32:30 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
Great read, Roger. I never linked "Temple of Demise" with "Temple of Doom" but now that you mention it, I don't know how I could have missed it Incredible to have your insight!

Edit: If the working one-level prototype for Hellraiser that you mentioned still exists somehow, it would likely be the most expensive proto sale to-date. Just so you know

Edited: 03/18/2010 at 09:34 PM by dangevin

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:38:53 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
oh.my.god.
Roger I am a HUGE fan. Welcome to the site. I eat, sleep, drink and shit color dreams. One of my favorite companies. Welcome to the site and make yourself at home. Hope to hear some good stories.

eBay listings here

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:39:16 PM
removed-07-06-2016 (214)

< Bowser >
Other
Very nice to meet you! We have a genuine community celebrity on board .

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:58:42 PM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
There he is! Roger I am so glad you decided to join up here. It has been really great talking with you over email the last few days Big hearty welcome to the site sir, so glad to have you on board here.

Not to worry everyone. I have already talked with Roger and he has agreed to a ezine interview
~~NGD

Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:01:23 PM
rogdef (0)
(Roger Deforest) < Tourian Tourist >
California
Originally posted by: NationalGameDepot

There he is! Roger I am so glad you decided to join up here. It has been really great talking with you over email the last few days Big hearty welcome to the site sir, so glad to have you on board here.

Not to worry everyone. I have already talked with Roger and he has agreed to a ezine interview
~~NGD

Pleasure to be here, and thanks for the invite. I'm glad to see there are REAL fans of Color Dreams games. I will do my best to answer any and all questions...even if my memory is a bit rusty!

The Story Behind 'Secret Scout in the Temple of Demise' (and other goodies)
http://colordreams.rogerdeforest.com

Color Dreams/Wisdom Tree Facebook Group
http://www.facebook.com/groups/385432696432

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:03:42 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
I actually enjoyed a few Color Dreams games in my day man. After reading your page, I think I did play Secret Scout (I have too many games to keep track of mentally), and I actually didn't mind the game. It wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but it was fun. Then again, I count Conan and Cliffhanger among my all-time favorite NES games

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:04:22 PM
rogdef (0)
California
Originally posted by: qixmaster

oh.my.god.
Roger I am a HUGE fan. Welcome to the site. I eat, sleep, drink and shit color dreams. One of my favorite companies. Welcome to the site and make yourself at home. Hope to hear some good stories.

Wow, I used to eat, sleep, drink, and shit Color Dreams too when I worked there! Which means long hours and lots of special beverages to keep me going. I hope I don't sully the games with my presence here. Should be fun!

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:07:16 PM
rogdef (0)
California
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

I actually enjoyed a few Color Dreams games in my day man. After reading your page, I think I did play Secret Scout (I have too many games to keep track of mentally), and I actually didn't mind the game. It wasn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but it was fun. Then again, I count Conan and Cliffhanger among my all-time favorite NES games

That's cool. We had a few enjoyable games, no doubt. My thinking is if you enjoy playing a game, then it's not crap, even if  expert "critics" tell you so.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:09:48 PM
rogdef (0)
California
Originally posted by: dangevin

Great read, Roger. I never linked "Temple of Demise" with "Temple of Doom" but now that you mention it, I don't know how I could have missed it Incredible to have your insight!

Edit: If the working one-level prototype for Hellraiser that you mentioned still exists somehow, it would likely be the most expensive proto sale to-date. Just so you know

I'm not sure if a Hellraiser proto exists or not. My thinking is not. But I will ask some ex-Color Dreamers if they ever made such a thing. Would be good to have a definite answer.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:14:26 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
I consider myself more of an "expert" than some of the critics out there, simply because I'll play a game to death before determining if it's shit...some of the people reviewing games out there haven't even bothered to play a game longer than 5 or 10 minutes. For example, I've seen TMNT get bashed all over the place, but anyone who played it for any significant length of time will tell you it's hard as balls but it's incredibly fun. And considering it is the top-selling 3rd party licensed release on the NES, that should say a bit about it's quality (word of mouth was huge back in the day...if your friends hated a game, you wouldn't get it regardless of the popularity of the subject matter). Also, Bible Adventures was a bit of a mixed bag, but it's by no means among the bottom titles like I've seen in a few reviews. Sure, the Baby Moses game sucked ass, but David and Goliath was decent, and Noah's Ark killed several hours when I first got the game!

Hmm...maybe I should start writing an ezine article again...been toying with the idea for a bit...

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:15:22 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: rogdef

Originally posted by: dangevin

I'm not sure if a Hellraiser proto exists or not. My thinking is not. But I will ask some ex-Color Dreamers if they ever made such a thing. Would be good to have a definite answer.

I'm betting it wasn't burned to a cart...although there may be a floppy disk or two floating around with the level you played...

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:37:22 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Holy crap. It's an honor to see a real programmer from the old days around here. I really really really hope you find the time to learn assembler and start making some new games like us hacks. Show us how it's done!

I am so super stoked that you're here, and I hope you stick around!!!

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:40:56 PM
KidOrrorin (25)
(Frankie Wenzel) < Meka Chicken >
Quebec
Woah, I love Color Dreams! I'm excited to hear the stories you have to tell and I'm now impatiently waiting for the next ezine! I'm new here too but I think I speak for everyone when I say: Gooble gobble, gooble gobble! One of us, one of us!

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:45:44 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Totally just joined the Facebook group Roger started. Consists of him, Dave Braun, and myself

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:46:05 PM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Wow, I feel kind of honored to be in your presence. Welcome to the site! King Neptune's Adventure if my favorite Color Dreams game, so much in fact that I made these displays, the shadow box even has some of Nina's ink sketches that were used for the manual.

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:30:22 PM
dangevin (219)
(Dan Langevin) < Wiz's Mom >
Pennsylvania
I sent a message about the e-Zine article that Jason (NationalGameDepot) mentioned, thanks for agreeing!

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:34:12 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
 Also, Bible Adventures was a bit of a mixed bag, but it's by no means among the bottom titles like I've seen in a few reviews. Sure, the Baby Moses game sucked ass, 

That shows you are no expert!  Throwing baby Moses is something I frequently do with friends, everyone always has a great time  

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:36:28 PM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Also, Bible Adventures was a bit of a mixed bag, but it's by no means among the bottom titles like I've seen in a few reviews. Sure, the Baby Moses game sucked ass, 

That shows you are no expert!  Throwing baby Moses is something I frequently do with friends, everyone always has a great time  

The game sucks.  Throwing Baby Moses in the river is definitely amusing, but it sure doesn't make the game itself good

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:49:55 PM
dr.robbie (175)
(Robbie Pacanowski) < Bowser >
Missouri
wow. thanks for the info on the website. very informative.

Let's Go Penguins!

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:21:59 AM
Redivivus (11)
< King Solomon >
Utah

Totally just joined the Facebook group Roger started. Consists of him, Dave Braun, and myself

x2.. And yeah you should get back into the ezine scene.. I want to come up with some more ideas myself. I quite enjoy the research and writing involved.

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:23:08 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
I've got a few ideas floating around. I'm just waiting for my computer to arrive

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:23:17 AM
GameboyRicky (149)
(Ricky ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Texas
Welcome man!

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:43:40 AM
rogdef (0)
California

Thanks, man. If anyone else wants to join in on the fun...

Color Dreams/Wisdom Tree Fan Club (for lack of a better name)

Edited: 03/19/2010 at 12:44 AM by rogdef