Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Heavy Barrel Contest ends Sunday, 9/15/13 at 10 PM NA time

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:27:02 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the lastest installment of the weekly contests.  This week's game is going to be Heavy Barrel, a fun little shooter made by Data East.  Here are the rules:
  • 1 Player only
  • Play until Life 0.  As soon as you get to Life 0, you must stop playing the game and take your picture.  You may not play any of the game on Life 0 or your score will be disqualified.
  • No point racking
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Shooter/Shoot 'Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 9/15/13 at 10 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 09/16/2013 at 02:28 AM by NintendoAge Moderator

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:38:19 PM
sunsetflip84 (0)
(Will Cartier) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Will be posting up a score in the next hour or so. May as well get the ball rolling! ^>^

"So it is written. So let it be played!"

Check out my youtube gaming channel! Keep up to date on all of my shenanigans! http://www.youtube.com/user/maximpact24?feature=mhee

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:22:30 PM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
I love this game, Ill give it a run through tomorrow.

Playas Guide Logo

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:51:43 AM
sunsetflip84 (0)
(Will Cartier) < Meka Chicken >
Ontario
Well here's my first attempt. I'm glad I took a pic before the end boss battle. It took me down to my last life before I killed it. Oh, and here's a big tip for you all, pause it at the last boss and take your pic. You won't see your high score after. Just so you guys know.
While the game is loads of fun, it doesn't really get challenging until the last few levels. So stock up on extra lives then. ^>^

245,800 points. 

"So it is written. So let it be played!"

Check out my youtube gaming channel! Keep up to date on all of my shenanigans! http://www.youtube.com/user/maximpact24?feature=mhee

Sep 9, 2013 at 8:08:45 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Sadly, I don't have this game in cart form so I will be sitting out of this one.
Good luck everyone.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:54:00 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Sadly, I don't have this game in cart form so I will be sitting out of this one.
Good luck everyone.

You could emulate it though.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:59:32 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
I have a very particular opinion about emulators, and thus I don't use them at all.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:41:27 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

I have a very particular opinion about emulators, and thus I don't use them at all.

I understand. A lot people dislike them,especially for these contests because of the possible cheating that can come from it. If I couldn't use an emulator for the comps in which I didn't have the carts,I'd be missing a lot of comps. And being that money is really tight for me right now I can't afford to spend any money on getting any games.

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:26:38 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
It's all good, Guts. I don't mind emulators myself but I personally don't use them. Considering most of the Weekly Contest games aren't hard to find or rather expensive, if I don't have one, I either ask a buddy of mine if I could borrow it that week or get my own copy. =)

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:26:16 PM
EoTN (9)
(Eskimo Of The Night) < Eggplant Wizard >
Texas
I agree completely. I've had to emulate every game thus far. Until now, I'd never owned a NES, but because of this weekly competition, I bought one and some games. Looking forward to playing a game on actual hardware for some of the contests

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:10:26 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania

beat the game

UPDATED SCORE ON PAGE 3

this game was a TON of fun, and I am now a heavy barrel master!

tip: once you beat the last boss, GET YOUR PAUSE (start button) READY as you only have about 3 seconds in which to pause to have the extra 100,000 that the last boss gives you before the game cuts to the credits and you can no longer view your score

Edited: 09/15/2013 at 09:42 PM by mattyjmania

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:15:33 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: EoTN

I agree completely. I've had to emulate every game thus far. Until now, I'd never owned a NES, but because of this weekly competition, I bought one and some games. Looking forward to playing a game on actual hardware for some of the contests

Glad to hear it. Nothing beats playing on the actual nes.....but sometimes you have to make due with what you have.

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:54:44 PM
BenPlusPlus (2)
(Ben Baird) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States

Aye, I'm kinda the same way, except I'm willing to play it on the Wii or 3DS Virtual Console if I don't own the cart. That's why I've been outta this second half tournament -- the first game on the list I actually own is NES Open (and only as a 3DS Ambassador game)!

Aside from all the other reasons to avoid emulation, it's also a good cutoff method to give yourself a break from the competition once in a while So I don't mind it so much.

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:36:36 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
same here, I used emulation last year for some but this one I'm only going cart, unless I find the game out in the wild.

Sep 10, 2013 at 8:55:57 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Every contest I go cart only via top loader

I checked the list before they even began and scored most of the ones I didn't have for $5 or less at local retro gaming store. Good excuse to add more games to the ole library

Sep 10, 2013 at 9:05:49 PM
Caleb47 (48)
(Steve S.) < Meka Chicken >
Maryland
197,500. ugh, died literally on the last guy coming dowin the stairs (wasn't paying attention). I'll have to see if I can post a better score. Fun game, use to play it in the arcade.

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:00:54 PM
rdrunner (35)
(Tom Votava) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina

I had one of my better games (it's actually higher than my TG score).  Was able to hit almost everything in my path, while hanging on to the best weapons.

Note to Bimmy: I didn't see it in the rules, but we should probably address point racking.  There are a few places in this game where the enemies will just keep appearing while you can easily pick them off.  There's no timer to stop you from doing this.

Good to see a complete game already.  Nice work Matty J!

Tom Votava
http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/

Edited: 09/11/2013 at 03:18 PM by rdrunner

Sep 11, 2013 at 3:30:39 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: rdrunner

I had one of my better games (it's actually higher than my TG score).  Was able to hit almost everything in my path, while hanging on to the best weapons.

Note to Bimmy: I didn't see it in the rules, but we should probably address point racking.  There are a few places in this game where the enemies will just keep appearing while you can easily pick them off.  There's no timer to stop you from doing this.

Good to see a complete game already. 

I noticed that too. The place that first comes to mind is the beginning of level 4 with the turrets and the guy who respawns repeatedly to the left of the second turret if you keep killing him. Of course I don't know how long you'd want to grind there as he isn't worth a lot of points so it would get pretty boring.

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:55:05 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: gutsman004

Originally posted by: rdrunner

Good to see a complete game already. 

I noticed that too. The place that first comes to mind is the beginning of level 4 with the turrets and the guy who respawns repeatedly to the left of the second turret if you keep killing him. Of course I don't know how long you'd want to grind there as he isn't worth a lot of points so it would get pretty boring.

As far as point racking...i know on level 6 on the conveyor belts, enemies continue to respawn, however you do NOT actually get any points from killing them! This may or may not be the case for other respawning places, im not sure, i just noticed the one spot

Edited: 09/11/2013 at 04:55 PM by mattyjmania

Sep 11, 2013 at 5:45:43 PM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Thanks Rdrunner...I am prob done for the week

im sure that score will be good enough for a top 10...i hope...

Sep 11, 2013 at 6:20:48 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
I have a score ready to post,but I'm withholding posting it as I know I can post something better.

Sep 11, 2013 at 8:50:57 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
The main racking spots are the guys in the car on rails.

I'd like to propose something about the last boss. Could we take our picture once both arms are destroyed and add 100k to the score? I'm asking cause there's really just one second where you can pause the game after you get the 100k, and some players might missed it and being pissed about it. Once the last boss arms are destroyed, you just can't lose anymore lives, so we could call it a day by then. Thoughts?

Sep 11, 2013 at 9:59:13 PM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
Haven't really had much experience at all with this one so I have been getting the feel for the game. Will probably have a score up tomorrow or Friday.

Sep 12, 2013 at 12:11:03 AM
mattyjmania (179)
(matty j) < El Ripper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: guillavoie

The main racking spots are the guys in the car on rails.

I'd like to propose something about the last boss. Could we take our picture once both arms are destroyed and add 100k to the score? I'm asking cause there's really just one second where you can pause the game after you get the 100k, and some players might missed it and being pissed about it. Once the last boss arms are destroyed, you just can't lose anymore lives, so we could call it a day by then. Thoughts?
Gullivore is 100% correct that once the arms are gone, even if you are down to just your simple rifle, there is no way to die and the final bosses death is inevitable

Sep 12, 2013 at 9:04:22 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
For as fun as many people say this game is,I'm surprised there are so few scores posted. I will have one up tonight. This week being the first time playing this game,I can say it is fun overall although I'm not a fan of how your character moves. It feels kind of awkward and jerky. The game can be a little cheap too. Although odd,I kind of like whole keys and chests element. And I do like how the game flows from one level to the next.