What are you reading?

Aug 12 at 10:29:09 AM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: themisfit138

Originally posted by: TheFinder

Originally posted by: SoleGooseProductions

The Moonstone has been on my list for a while. I mentally shelved it after The Who Was Thursday, but I'll bring it back from the abyss. I look forward to reading again...

So you've read it before? I'm about 2/3 of the way through, and I'm loving it!
I just picked up a copy and will be next on my read list. Keep up the classic novel recommendations guys, I’ve been enjoying them. 

I finished it. Highly satisfactory ending. Couple of major twists that completely threw me for a loop. Really great book!

-------------------------
To the Finder...
The Isle of Koholint is but an illusion...
Human, monster, sea, sky...
A scene on the lid of a sleeper's eye...
Awake the dreamer, and Koholint will vanish much like a bubble on a needle...
Cast-away, you should know the Truth!

My FS/WTB threads: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Aug 12 at 10:31:11 AM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

The Giver.  Bought it for my boys and then decided I may as well read it for reference since I never did back in the '90s.  Way too brief, but then again I guess it is a childrens book.

Are you aware there are 3 other books in the "series"? They aren't direct sequels per se, but they take place in the same world and have some interactions with each other. I just started rereading The Giver Quartet as something to pick up and read in snippets while my twins are playing and are leaving me alone.

To the Finder...

Aug 12 at 10:32:37 AM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: babywuchki

Just finished A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court and started 1984.

Both solid books. I love Twain, and 1984 was very enjoyable--only read it for the first time last year. If you haven't read it, I'd also recommend Animal Farm (also a first-time read for me last year).

To the Finder...

Aug 12 at 11:47:06 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia

The Giver.  Bought it for my boys and then decided I may as well read it for reference since I never did back in the '90s.  Way too brief, but then again I guess it is a childrens book.

Are you aware there are 3 other books in the "series"? They aren't direct sequels per se, but they take place in the same world and have some interactions with each other. I just started rereading The Giver Quartet as something to pick up and read in snippets while my twins are playing and are leaving me alone.

Yes, they're even plugged in the back of the edition I have.  But the seemingly lukewarm scores on goodreads, the review I saw on youtube, and the short summaries I skimmed online all kind of make me want to treat The Giver as standalone.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Aug 13 at 10:30:46 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Finished A Song of Ice and Fire and have started my next epic fantasy series

Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1)

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Aug 14 at 12:03:05 AM
CMR (4)
< El Ripper >
United States
Brandon Sanderson has these huge epic ideas for stories he doesn't really have the ability to write.

Here's what I'm reading. The editors, Jeff and Ann Vandermeer, have a knack for putting together these big collections and finding stories that no one has ever heard of.

Edited: 08/14/2019 at 12:04 AM by CMR

Aug 14 at 12:09:59 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Interesting. Mistborn and Stormlight Archive (and the end of Wheel of Time) all seem universally loved. I guess I shall see what my own two cents are soon enough.

Aug 14 at 6:38:22 AM
Hoddy Krishnuh (48)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< El Ripper >
Nevada
The Song of Roland, a medival french epic. I'm reading the CK Scott Moncrieff translation. I consider it the best one, but unfortunately you won't find good copies of it in print anymore, except those crappy print-on-demand ones with typos and small text.

Govinda jaya jaya, Gopala jaya jaya. Blessed Krishna, save us!

Edited: 08/14/2019 at 06:41 AM by Hoddy Krishnuh

Aug 21 at 2:24:28 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Finished Dresden Files Storm Front.  It wasn't amazing, but it was good enough that I ordered book two.

Burned through The Metamorphosis today.  Only 53 pages.

The Metamorphosis

Starting up Dark Tower IV as well to read alongside Mistborn

Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)

Aug 21 at 2:47:58 AM
HammerDaddy (8)
< El Ripper >
Antartica

Starting up Dark Tower IV as well to read alongside Mistborn

Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)

Nice.  I’m about a quarter of the way into book 5.  Such a good series.  I actually picked up a copy of wizards and glass at the flea market for like $3 after my library loan ended while I was in the middle of it and I was on hold.

Aug 21 at 8:01:23 AM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
I am about halfway through Walden, does this book ever get good? I haven't read anything so far that makes me think this is a classic. All I have read is a whiny guy's pseudo philosophical ramblings about how society is bad and we should all give up our possessions. Terrible stuff.

Edited: 08/21/2019 at 08:51 AM by themisfit138

Aug 26 at 10:37:54 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Why read two fantasy series at once when it can be three?

Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1)

I imagine I'll finish this one before Mistborn or Wizard and Glass

Aug 26 at 10:45:49 PM
Koopa64 (0)
(Koopinator ) < El Ripper >
Canada

Lover of Nintendo's original gray box since 2006

Sep 02 at 9:30:19 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Finished Mistborn.  Loved it.

Starting up

Sep 04 at 3:54:34 AM
Estil (10)
< King Solomon >
Kentucky
Well, right now I'm reading the 1975 Britannica Book of the Year (I already did 1961-74; and the 1961-87 World Book yearbooks back in 2017), all the issues of Nintendo Power/GamePro/EGM (I'm finishing up Q4 of 1990 so far), and I also love to read the archive for my local paper over at newspapers.com (worth EVERY penny; just my local paper's archive alone goes back over 100 years!).

Think Captain OG Readmore would be proud of me?   I mean he does say to read the paper and some magazines! I bet back then no one could've dreamed you could read them the way we can now!!  

My best friend Jamiee and my dearly departed Tweetie (2005-2012):
http://s650.photobucket.com/user/...

Collection:
NES (222)   SNES (98)   N64 (
29)   GC (31)   GEN (52)  
PS1 (39)   PS2 (23)   PS3 (8)   WII (11)   WIIU (6)
GBA (44)  GBC (12)   GB (25)   DS (14)   3DS (8)

Sep 10 at 4:03:15 AM
Fryer64 (45)
(Ryley C) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
We never learn/we can't study had a chapter drop yesterday. Got done reading that. Has been pretty dang slow the last month or so, but that's to be expected being a volume comes out every month.

I like the stupid little ackward misunderstandings that happen in almost every chapter. It's predictable but still fun.

Sep 10 at 5:53:47 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Read a trilogy by an author named Patrick Lee beginning with a book called The Breach in the last 2 weeks. Could not put it down. Highly suggest. I fucking loved it and could not. put. it. down.

Currently 100 pages into Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol.

I am on my 6th book in about a month. Read Slaughterhouse 5 and another book I cannot recall at this moment but enjoyed it.

Edited: 09/10/2019 at 05:56 AM by Sign Collector Guy

Sep 10 at 5:54:32 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States

Finished Mistborn.  Loved it.

Starting up

Just read Slaughterhouse 5 a month ago. Really enjoyed it.

Sep 13 at 6:44:03 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Finished up God Bless You Mr. Rosewater.  It was alright, probably one of Vonnegut's weakest novels.  Little in the way of a plot, mostly a meditation on trust funders.  Still some hilarious passages though.

Starting up this guy

Sep 13 at 6:45:56 PM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Finished The Great Train Robbery and now onto Jurassic Park. Working my way through Crichton’s novel library slowly but surely.

Haves     |     Wants

Edited: 09/13/2019 at 06:46 PM by Stryphos

Sep 13 at 7:02:18 PM
Stryphos (306)
(Bubble Man) < King Solomon >
Michigan
Also listened to "Without Remorse" and am almost finished with "Rainbow Six", both Tom Clancy novels that are, at least "Without Remorse", pre-date the Jack Ryan character. Story revolves instead around John Clarke. Definitely a change up from Crichton's style but I've enjoyed them while I'm on the road.

Haves     |     Wants

Sep 14 at 9:50:49 PM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois

Finished listening to Fahrenheit 451 and Starship Troopers. Really enjoyed both of them. Highly recommend. Both give some pretty interesting ideas to think about.

I'm starting to read Les Miserables for the first time. I've already read The Hunchback of Notre Dame, so I've experienced Hugo's writing style. I love his descriptions and characters, but I hate his lengthy side chapters. We shall see how I far in this tome.

I'm also listening to She: A History of Adventure by H. Rider Haggard. Classic late 1800s adventure novel. Simple, fun read.

Started The Forever War.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on it when you finish this book. I loved Stormship Troopers, and The Forever War is supposed to be a sort of response to it. Also, Heinlein really enjoyed Haldeman's book, so I'm interested in reading it at some point.

I tried Starship Troopers 20+ years ago and failed to finish it.  I'll return to it at some point but TFW grabbed me immediately.  Safe bet most anyone would enjoy/love it.
Finished it.  Highly recommend to anyone.

Starting up The Green Mile since I have to head out of town and I prefer to take trashed paperbacks on those trips instead of something from my collection.

Way late, but I finished The Forever War. I didn't enjoy it as much as Starship Troopers, but it was a very good book. I think part of the reason I struggled with it is that I became as disillusioned as Mandela with all that was going on, and it made the book frustrating to read.

To the Finder...

Sep 14 at 9:57:38 PM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois

Yes, they're even plugged in the back of the edition I have.  But the seemingly lukewarm scores on goodreads, the review I saw on youtube, and the short summaries I skimmed online all kind of make me want to treat The Giver as standalone.

Again, late on this, but I reread The Giver Quartet (The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger, and Son). My wife had just read them for the first time and wanted to talk to me about them. I could only remember the events of The Giver since I had read it multiple times as a kid but had only heard of and read the others about 5 years ago, so I decided to reread them.

The Giver is definitely the best of the four, though I did enjoy the others. They all bring a different look at how a post-apocalyptic world might be while not getting too gory/gritty (they are for kids after all), and none of them are dependent on The Giver, though there are references to it, and Son makes a lot more sense if you've read The Giver. Some of the problems/conflicts get resolved a bit too easily, though. Like in Gathering Blue, it's clear that there are men who are manipulating others for personal gain and either killing or otherwise silencing anyone who questions them or hints at what they're doing. The main character decides it's her mission to fight back at the end of the book. When Messenger begins, several years have passed, and it's stated that things are much better in the village. Lame.

Even so, I'd recommend them if you'd enjoy an easy read with pretty engaging characters and stories. Just don't expect amazing literature. If you'd rather just stick with The Giver, though, that's fine. You're not missing out.

To the Finder...

Sep 14 at 9:58:37 PM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Jeckidy Hydelow

The Song of Roland, a medival french epic. I'm reading the CK Scott Moncrieff translation. I consider it the best one, but unfortunately you won't find good copies of it in print anymore, except those crappy print-on-demand ones with typos and small text.

Interesting. I'm aware of the epic, but I've only read some excerpts. What made you pick it up?

To the Finder...

Sep 14 at 10:01:29 PM
TheFinder (47)
< King Solomon >
Illinois
Originally posted by: Stryphos

Finished The Great Train Robbery and now onto Jurassic Park. Working my way through Crichton’s novel library slowly but surely.

The Great Train Robbery is fantastic. I want to watch the 1978/79 film adaptation that was directed by Crichton and stars Sean Connery.

Have you read Jurassic Park? I think the movie did a good job at staying faithful to the novel while making some understandable changes.

To the Finder...