Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

What Should I Play? My new Youtube channel

May 27, 2015 at 12:49:38 PM
wstankew (0)
(Wayne S) < Crack Trooper >
New Jersey
After spending years as a fan of youtube channels like Metal Jesus, Happy Console Gamer and Pete Dorr, I decided that I wanted to join the community and start producing videos. Right now I am starting out with literally no equipment; recording the video on my Iphone, lighting with desk lamps, and editing using some free software I found on the web, but I am having a lot of fun doing it, and I want to keep putting out new videos. 

I had been kicking around the idea of starting a channel for a long time, but never did because of the numerous reasons I kept telling myself... too crowded of a space already, no equipment, social/public speaking anxiety... and then not too much later, at the end of March, Metal Jesus released his video about getting started on youtube and it pushed me over the edge and I decided "you know what? screw it, I'm going to do this for me, because I want to, and if other people pick it up, then great. Everybody's gotta start somewhere". I gave my self a month to get things put together for a May 1st launch, and then release videos every week from then on.

I based my channel around a problem that i have some times, where I stare at my game collection and think to myself "What should I play?". I decided to offer other suggestions to others that may be stuck in the same situation.
It took a lot of learning, and there is still more to go, but the videos are getting better every week, and I met my self-imposed launch date and have been keeping up with my weekly 10:00 AM Saturday morning time slot (which was chosen both as a homage to the Saturday Morning Cartoons of the past, and to my two biggest influences, MJR and HCG who release on Friday and Sunday morning respectively).  I have 4 videos up so far, with 3 more in editing, and a number more in the conception/scripting phase, so I don't plan on going away anytime soon.

Check out my videos at https://www.youtube.com/channel/U.... Hope you enjoy them!

-------------------------

May 27, 2015 at 12:54:12 PM
mattbep (107)
(Former Scramble Champion) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania
An interesting idea for a channel! And a question I ask myself just about daily. Hopefully I remember to check out your channel tonight!

May 27, 2015 at 12:57:04 PM
xMaGuSx (60)
< Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Cool man as long as you are enjoying it that's all that matters.

Ill check it out tonight.

gamevaluenow

May 27, 2015 at 1:39:19 PM
AstralSoul13 (48)
(Mike ) < Bowser >
New York
Nice! I am checking out your videos now. I've also sort of toyed with the idea of making videos but my internet at home is so spotty and I live in a tiny space with my fiancee and the only time I'd be able to make videos without distractions would be when she's asleep and I'd have to whisper at that point so it's completely pointless.

Anyway good job with the videos so far. I look forward to more!

May 27, 2015 at 3:29:38 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
What software are you using to edit?

I have Premiere but I'm always looking to check out something else, especially something free since I'm considering teaching neighborhood kids how to make videos.

May 27, 2015 at 3:51:46 PM
Gentlegamer (15)
< El Ripper >
Texas
Keep your videos low tech and amateur, and stay true to the spirit of early youtube.

Don't become

May 27, 2015 at 3:57:02 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
Whoa whoa whoa....is that Lego Gundam? Did you build it? That thing looks glorious, I want it.

SW-6786-5095-2210

May 27, 2015 at 3:57:59 PM
Retrovision (11)
(Johnny ) < Lolo Lord >
Illinois
Nice!

eBay listings  will provide deals for NA members if you see anything you like pm me.

May 27, 2015 at 4:52:25 PM
TriHart (59)
(Riley R) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Watched episode 1, and i must say I like it. Keep it simple for sure.

As people mentioned, I too have toyed with the idea of providing to the community by means on youtube. Sure everyone does it yadda yadda, but it looks like fun to me. Alas, life always manages to get in the way with young kids and lots of home projects on the go, but regardless, Its something I think i would still be interested in.

DC CIB:                67/254
SMS CIB:               6/114
This is fun!

May 28, 2015 at 10:36:09 AM
wstankew (0)
(Wayne S) < Crack Trooper >
New Jersey
Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback guys! I was honestly a bit terrified to find out what people I didn't personally know thought of the channel, but this really puts me at ease.
Originally posted by: gunpei

What software are you using to edit?

I am using Lightworks ( https://www.lwks.com/... ) there is a paid version, but the free version is working just fine for me. I am not a high level enough editor to even take advantage of most of the paid features. I have absolutely zero experience with other editors, so I can't tell you how it fares in comparison. Also, there are a ton of tutorials on youtube, so anytime  I need help figuring something out, I can usually figure it out based on help from there.

Originally posted by: empire

Whoa whoa whoa....is that Lego Gundam? Did you build it? That thing looks glorious, I want it.

Haha, yeah, that was a project from a few years back. It is not my own design (I purchased the plans from http://teknomeka.com/... ) but the amount of work I did sourcing and sorting all the parts both from my own collection and online vendors really adds to my appreciation of it as probably my favorite thing in my entire game room. She stands 28 inches tall, is fully articulated, and is comprised of almost 4000 bricks: 2500 from my own collection, and 1500 purchased (in some cases piece by piece) specifically for the project. I recently saw photos of one online that was White/Blue instead of Gray/Red and it makes me want to build another one...

May 28, 2015 at 10:41:44 AM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: wstankew
I am using Lightworks ( https://www.lwks.com/ ) there is a paid version, but the free version is working just fine for me. I am not a high level enough editor to even take advantage of most of the paid features. I have absolutely zero experience with other editors, so I can't tell you how it fares in comparison.
That's OK, I like to experiment anyway. Thanks for the info! And good luck with your channel!