Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Help! Need Midi to NSF converter

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:25:33 PM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
(Gimmick, Mr.) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
I'm having a terrible time finding a converter to make NSF files. Does anyone know of any converters for making NSF from midi files?

Feb 18, 2008 at 11:41:22 PM
Roth (67)
(Rob Bryant) < Lolo Lord >
Illinois
You know, I don't know 100% for sure, but I don't think there is one. If there is, it just seems like it'd be one heck of a feat. On nesdev they have nsf2midi, but I don't think there is the other way around. I may have overlooked it though in my quick glance.

-------------------------
http://slydogstudios.org...

Feb 19, 2008 at 12:09:09 AM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
Connecticut
hmm, is there a way to convert a midi file to something else, and then convert that file to NSF???

Feb 19, 2008 at 2:57:54 PM
Sivak (44)
(Sivak -) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio

Midi and NSF are very different things.  Going from NSF to midi isn't hard because all it involves is identifying simple notes, although the end result will still sound bad.

Going the opposite way is basically impossible directly.  I use Famitracker and if I wanted something midi-wise I'd have to analyze the midi in Cakewalk (that's a midi writing program) and write the notes in myself.  That's what I obviously did with the Stinkoman NSF I had posted and I also wrote the Geminim music and sound using the program.

Plus, even if such a thing did exist I'm sure the sound would be terrible.  If you want to convert to get notes, fine, but clean it up first!

My website: Here

Battle Kid 2 demo videos: Playlist
Battle Kid demo videos: Playlist

Check out my current: Want list
Check out my current: Extras list

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:38:35 PM
Gameboy (22)
(Stian Olsen) < Meka Chicken >
Norway
In the good old days there where something called *.mod files.
I remember having Snap! "I got the power" as a *.mod file
*.mod files should be possible to convert to SNF as they are basically the same....

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:17:10 PM
Mr. Gimmick (50)
Connecticut
Originally posted by: Sivak

Midi and NSF are very different things.  Going from NSF to midi isn't hard because all it involves is identifying simple notes, although the end result will still sound bad.

Going the opposite way is basically impossible directly.  I use Famitracker and if I wanted something midi-wise I'd have to analyze the midi in Cakewalk (that's a midi writing program) and write the notes in myself.  That's what I obviously did with the Stinkoman NSF I had posted and I also wrote the Geminim music and sound using the program.

Plus, even if such a thing did exist I'm sure the sound would be terrible.  If you want to convert to get notes, fine, but clean it up first!

Yup, have famitracker definately know what you mean by cleaning up the notes, doesn't sound too good lol, the noise sound channel is terrible, I'll have to find a midi editor to clean it up.

Also, does anyone know of any instruments that can be imported into famitracker??? Other than just the default piano instrument.

Edited: 02/19/2008 at 09:26 PM by Mr. Gimmick

Jan 4, 2013 at 5:21:52 PM
Doommaster1994 (1)
(Nick K.) < Little Mac >
Washington
Many, many NES developers used the method of converting MIDI files to the NES. They've even told me it's not that hard, just a matter of converting MIDI commands to 6502 commands.

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:04:20 PM
thefox (0)
(Kalle Immonen) < Meka Chicken >
Finland
Originally posted by: Gameboy

In the good old days there where something called *.mod files.
I remember having Snap! "I got the power" as a *.mod file
*.mod files should be possible to convert to SNF as they are basically the same....
Nope, MOD and NSF files are nothing alike.

Originally posted by: Doommaster1994

Many, many NES developers used the method of converting MIDI files to the NES. They've even told me it's not that hard, just a matter of converting MIDI commands to 6502 commands.
Yes, it is not that hard, if the MIDI file has been specially crafted with the NES limitations in mind. As it stands, there are no easy to use solutions out there for this.

Converting arbitrary MIDI files (and by that I mean General MIDI songs that most people think of when MIDI files are mentioned) to NSFs is never going to happen.

Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: kkfos.aspekt.fi

Aug 26 at 3:12:19 AM
lancuster (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Tell me, is there a copy of this page and its software? The site was closed:
http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playto...

My NES hacks on Romhacking.net
>>Oldschool Beta-tester<< - Testing NES roms for bugs
My latest ROM-hack: http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...
Newest (ready) hacks: "Mario Has A Very Bad Days!", "Good or Bad?" (Tank 1990 Hack) (pm me for details)
I added level settings for 102 games into CaD Editor!

Aug 26 at 9:28:31 PM
Indo (4)
(Chris ) < Crack Trooper >
New Jersey
I am not the right person for this, but just spit balling... Can you do something with the Chip Maestro and some sort of converter? Someone who has used Chip Maestro may be able to chime in.
https://cashinculture.3dcartstore...

Deadeye.bit        Twitter       Instagram

Aug 26 at 9:54:59 PM
phart010 (8)
(Paul Hart) < Meka Chicken >
North Carolina
Converting arbitrary MIDI files (and by that I mean General MIDI songs that most people think of when MIDI files are mentioned) to NSFs is never going to happen.
Never say never. We’re living in the days of Machine learning. If people can listen to a midi source file over and over and piece together an nsf, whose to say machines won’t eventually be able to do the same

Aug 26 at 10:22:09 PM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Seeing a thread from Mr. Gimmick got me incredibly excited. Then I realized it was 11.5 years old. Sadness.  

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin