Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Hello All! Former Nintendo Gameplay Counselor Here!

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:00:30 PM
into_the_mystic (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: th0rpe

Welcome to the site man.

Thanks, man!  I'm already reliving old memories!

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:11:08 PM
into_the_mystic (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: TENGEN

Welcome! It's awesome to have someone like you on this site.

Can you do a play by play of the most moronic person you had to deal with on the phone? That would be hilarious.

Ha! Ha!  Yeah, I'll get back to you a little later on that.  I've got to go out to eat right now, but I remember a few stand-outs, even after a quarter of a century.  Most of the kids were actually really great; but some of the adults... they were a different story.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:18:49 PM
into_the_mystic (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: Slayter

That's awesome and welcome. Did you ever have a GPC profile in Nintendo Power? I gave questions about those.

No, unfortunately I never got a profile in the magazine, although I did know all the people who did.  Wish I had - that would have been nice. However, a TV show came thru our offices and did a story on the game counselors and I was featured on camera while talking on the phone with a caller. I recorded the show when it aired on television and still have the VHS tape.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:20:35 PM
into_the_mystic (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: ankermane

Welcome!

Thank-you!

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:21:38 PM
into_the_mystic (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: jfreakofkorn

welcome aboard .....

It's great to be aboard!  Thank-you!

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:22:06 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Other
Awesomesauce! If by chance you got calls from an annoying kid asking for cheats for every nes.game known. and begging for free.stuff. that wasn't me.

Welcome to NA MANG!

-------------------------

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:29:25 PM
into_the_mystic (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: MuNKeY

Awesomesauce! If by chance you got calls from an annoying kid asking for cheats for every nes.game known. and begging for free.stuff. that wasn't me.

Welcome to NA MANG!

Ha, Ha!  All of the calls we received were from annoying kids asking for cheats.  You must have been one of the few who begged for free stuff .  Thanks for the welcome!

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:36:13 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
Ever work with Scott Horne in the repair area?

Edited: 02/08/2014 at 08:36 PM by bunnyboy

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:40:45 PM
into_the_mystic (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: 8BitNESExploits

Originally posted by: into_the_mystic

Originally posted by: NickyP

Welcome! You probably helped some of us on the counselor line in the late 80's hehe

Yeah, it's funny when I see someone in their 30s, I sometimes wonder if perhaps I had spoken to them when they were a little kid and helped them along with their game. Maybe I spoke with you!!!  Thanks for welcoming me!

Maybe you spoke with me... I called many times. The only phone call I remember specifically was explaining to the counselor a trick I had figured out in Blaster Master, how to do the door warp. I might have been the only person on the planet who knew how to do it back then for all I know, but he sounded very disinterested. I remember the response was something like, "yeah, that game's hot." He was happy to keep me on the phone though. (Chuckle.)

The door warp is now a common speedrunner trick... haha

I very well might have spoken with you.  I remember playing Blaster Master quite a bit, although that was one of the few games I didn't quite finish. I do distinctly recall talking about that game with a young man and expressing what a great game it was.  Just thinking about it now, I'm starting to remember him explaining some kind of manuever you needed to perform with the vehicle to get somewhere...  Wow, maybe it was you!

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:43:07 PM
into_the_mystic (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

Ever work with Scott Horne in the repair area?

Yes, I remember Scott Horne well.  Nice guy, long blonde hair - he was roomates with Travis for awhile. How do you know Scott?

Edited: 02/08/2014 at 08:44 PM by into_the_mystic

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:45:21 PM
into_the_mystic (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Gotta go everyone - time to eat.

Edited: 02/08/2014 at 08:45 PM by into_the_mystic

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:14:28 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California

Yes, I remember Scott Horne well.  Nice guy, long blonde hair - he was roomates with Travis for awhile. How do you know Scott?

He lives near here (SF area) and has always wanted to write about his time at Nintendo, still looks like a hippie but does IT/networking stuff now.  Many of the stories aren't family friendly  

Edited: 02/08/2014 at 09:14 PM by bunnyboy

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:11:03 PM
NESfanatic (7)
< Lolo Lord >
Ohio
Wow welcome, the many stories you could tell!

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:50:44 AM
into_the_mystic (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: bunnyboy

He lives near here (SF area) and has always wanted to write about his time at Nintendo, still looks like a hippie but does IT/networking stuff now.  Many of the stories aren't family friendly  

San Francisco - great area for a hippie.  I plan to retire to the Northern California coast in a dozen or so years. Absolutely beautiful area and not as wet as Seattle.

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:59:52 AM
Slayter (61)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Maryland

That's awesome and welcome. Did you ever have a GPC profile in Nintendo Power? I gave questions about those.

No, unfortunately I never got a profile in the magazine, although I did know all the people who did.  Wish I had - that would have been nice. However, a TV show came thru our offices and did a story on the game counselors and I was featured on camera while talking on the phone with a caller. I recorded the show when it aired on television and still have the VHS tape.

Sorry, I mean to say that I "have" questions about the profiles. I'm wondering if the line that gave the counselor's biggest achievement was kind of just made-up propoganda. For instance, I recall one counselor had an achievement that stated he beat Contra with one life using the Power Glove. That seems like it was written just to help sell Power Gloves.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:52:32 PM
8BitNESExploits (2)
(Thorin Teague) < Little Mac >
Michigan

You need to digitize that goodness and upload it to youtube, mister.

My Finds Thread

I create youtube videos for the 8-Bit NES (mostly) showing how to cheat and exploit various games natively (meaning no game genie, no emulation hacks.)
View them here. And h
ere is the latest vid.

Like me on Facebook!

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:28:23 PM
8BitNESExploits (2)
(Thorin Teague) < Little Mac >
Michigan

Originally posted by: NickyP

Welcome! You probably helped some of us on the counselor line in the late 80's hehe

Yeah, it's funny when I see someone in their 30s, I sometimes wonder if perhaps I had spoken to them when they were a little kid and helped them along with their game. Maybe I spoke with you!!!  Thanks for welcoming me!

Maybe you spoke with me... I called many times. The only phone call I remember specifically was explaining to the counselor a trick I had figured out in Blaster Master, how to do the door warp. I might have been the only person on the planet who knew how to do it back then for all I know, but he sounded very disinterested. I remember the response was something like, "yeah, that game's hot." He was happy to keep me on the phone though. (Chuckle.)

The door warp is now a common speedrunner trick... haha

I very well might have spoken with you.  I remember playing Blaster Master quite a bit, although that was one of the few games I didn't quite finish. I do distinctly recall talking about that game with a young man and expressing what a great game it was.  Just thinking about it now, I'm starting to remember him explaining some kind of manuever you needed to perform with the vehicle to get somewhere...  Wow, maybe it was you!

Hahah what are the odds? I held you guys in very high regard back then (well, I still do!) and I'm sure I'm not the only one. So at any rate, welcome to nintendoage.com. I am not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but Howard Philips hangs out here & posts every once and again. Recently, he posted a prototype SNES & SMW on eBay. So cool!!!

My Finds Thread

I create youtube videos for the 8-Bit NES (mostly) showing how to cheat and exploit various games natively (meaning no game genie, no emulation hacks.)
View them here. And h
ere is the latest vid.

Like me on Facebook!

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:53:22 PM
Old Skool Brian (17)
(Brian Drecksage) < Meka Chicken >
New Jersey
Welcome to NA!

Come check out my collection on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/oldskoolbrian
I do Pickups, Packages, Unboxings, Gameplays, reviews, and more!

Check out my Ebay Store http://stores.ebay.com/Sprites-N-Bytes

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:30:01 AM
into_the_mystic (0)
< Tourian Tourist >

You need to digitize that goodness and upload it to youtube, mis
Mmmm. That's an idea, I never thought of uploading it.  I haven't watched it in a very long time.  Maybe I'll get it out and see if I can transfer it to my Tivo and then onto my computer.

Edited: 02/10/2014 at 04:32 AM by into_the_mystic

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:37:23 AM
into_the_mystic (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: Old Skool Brian

Welcome to NA!

Thanks for welcoming me, Old Skool; my name is Brian too.  I'll definitely have a look.

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:11:29 AM
into_the_mystic (0)
< Tourian Tourist >

Sorry, I mean to say that I "have" questions about the profiles. I'm wondering if the line that gave the counselor's biggest achievement was kind of just made-up propoganda. For instance, I recall one counselor had an achievement that stated he beat Contra with one life using the Power Glove. That seems like it was written just to help sell Power Gloves.

I remember reading that achievement too, although I don't recall whose profile it was. I can tell you that whenever I read an achievement, it seemed legitimate to me. Usually the counselor making the claim was known for playing that particular game alot and was very skilled at it. None of us were attached to marketing so there was never any pressure to try and sell anything. It wasn't that type of atmosphere. Additionally, all of us pretty much knew each others capabilities so nobody could ever really fake it around the offices - if he/she tried they'd get checked and then their reputation was ruined. They'd have everything to lose and nothing to gain by making a false claim.

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:39:16 AM
into_the_mystic (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Originally posted by: NESfanatic

Wow welcome, the many stories you could tell!

Hey there, thank-you for welcoming me!  I can remember a few stories, I'll post them up here soon.

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:55:27 AM
Slayter (61)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Maryland

I remember reading that achievement too, although I don't recall whose profile it was. I can tell you that whenever I read an achievement, it seemed legitimate to me. Usually the counselor making the claim was known for playing that particular game alot and was very skilled at it. None of us were attached to marketing so there was never any pressure to try and sell anything. It wasn't that type of atmosphere. Additionally, all of us pretty much knew each others capabilities so nobody could ever really fake it around the offices - if he/she tried they'd get checked and then their reputation was ruined. They'd have everything to lose and nothing to gain by making a false claim.

Thanks for getting back to me! I didn't mean to imply that the counselor in the profile was lying. I'm saying it's likely that one of the Nintendo Power editors wrote that and the counselor had nothing to do with it; it seems like an impossible accomplishment. I can't remember who it was either, but I remember he had a very European name. About two years ago I found him on Facebook (he works for Microsoft now) and sent him a message about it. He ignored it. Guess I'll never know for sure but I'm convinced that particular accomplishment was just propoganda.

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:22:30 AM
into_the_mystic (0)
< Tourian Tourist >

Thanks for getting back to me! I didn't mean to imply that the counselor in the profile was lying. I'm saying it's likely that one of the Nintendo Power editors wrote that and the counselor had nothing to do with it; it seems like an impossible accomplishment. I can't remember who it was either, but I remember he had a very European name. About two years ago I found him on Facebook (he works for Microsoft now) and sent him a message about it. He ignored it. Guess I'll never know for sure but I'm convinced that particular accomplishment was just propoganda.

I'll have to check the early magazines which contained the profiles - I have them all stored safely away.  I sincerely don't think that counselor would be able to show his face in the offices if the achievment weren't true.  Our reputations were important to each of us, and I don't believe any of us would allow it to be sullied just for a marketing scheme.  Like I said before that wasn't the type of environment we worked in.

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:37:34 AM
m308gunner (63)
(Jason ) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
Welcome to NA! I find you immediately interesting.