Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2013 Weekly Contest Presents: Gradius Contest ends Sunday, 3/3/13 at 10 PM NA time

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:02:56 AM
Logo1285 (14)
(Christopher Loggia) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
Gradius? I'll only be in for a participation point because I was never good at this game lol

-------------------------

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:15:29 AM
khog143 (73)
(Kevin Holbrook) < El Ripper >
Texas
Thank God, back to back games I am good at. I haven't played Gradius in a while, but I beat Starship Hector earlier this year, so it should be an easy readjustment.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:26:21 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: khog143

Thank God, back to back games I am good at. I haven't played Gradius in a while, but I beat Starship Hector earlier this year, so it should be an easy readjustment.

I just finished Dinosaur Peak and Gradius EDIT: Also I plan on taking down Gargoyles Quest II next

So... month and a half is a while, eh?

ETA: That 2nd quote was from the Can NA beat every NES Game 2013, posted on January 1st, 2013

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 02/25/2013 at 12:45 AM by dra600n

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:32:16 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
Originally posted by: dra600n

I just finished Dinosaur Peak and Gradius EDIT: Also I plan on taking down Gargoyles Quest II next

Jesus, if that's a while, what's my decade of rust count as?

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:36:36 AM
WashYourFace (4)
(Jay ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
Originally posted by: WashYourFace

haven't played Gradius in a long time

For the record, my "in a long time" = about 16 years

Now playing:
• Ni no Kuni
Listening to:
• "Second Hand News" -Fleetwood Mac

I am one of the elite in game playing circles... a "Nintendo Lemming Master"

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:08:10 AM
Vectrex28 (130)
(CD-i Kraid) < Master Higgins >
Switzerland
I love gradius! Even though I can't pass the Easter Island stage, I'll see what I can do!

"Energy Tanks, Missiles, Power Bombs... You want it? It's yours my friend! As long as you have enough credits!"

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:32:58 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta

Started to move, then realized I was out of lives.  Oops.  At least I didn't shoot anything.

And in case you need to see the setup...

Totally need to clean up, but whatever.  Anyway, I doubt this will stay near the top for long, but it's a decent first effort considering it's been a decade since I last played   One tip (one I will utilize if I play again) is to switch to the Double shot on the Moai stage (the Easter Island heads) so that you can shoot up as well.  Switching to the Laser again would be recommended for level 4, but you won't have enough power ups to keep your Shield available in case it fails when the computer chip looking enemies start flying at you, so take your pick as to which you prefer...I just thought I'd mention it in case it helps someone

As for the power up sequence, the best bet is to use at least one Speed boost right away so you can maximize your destruction of the enemies at the beginning...getting missiles and your gun by the half-way point should be priority, after that the Options will come...you'll want at least one by the end (you can easily get two, and possibly the shield as well).  A second Speed Up is also recommeded if you can spare it, but you can get that later.  I have trouble with controlling my ship when I have more than two boosts though, but if you can handle more, go for it.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:49:15 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
Alberta
Originally posted by: rokubungi

149,800 I just had to have the high score for a couple seconds

this is the furthest I've ever gotten in Gradius..  but what I'm more amazed at is that I died around the mid point of stage 3 and somehow got through that with only a couple speed-ups .

Totally just realized I got the top score so far (I doubt it'll last though), despite the fact that you actually got further than I did.  Remember, this is for points...keep shooting constantly, especially if you have the Laser.  If you luck out and have two Options and Lasers when you get to the volcanos on level 1, you can really rack up the points.  I got my first free man there   Also, if you kill the bosses by shooting out the core, you get more points...it's hard to pull off, but it's definitely doable.

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:48:02 AM
Crabmaster2000 (59)
(K P) < Lolo Lord >
British Columbia

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/2000C...

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:

http://rfgenerationcollectorcast....
677/677 Licensed NES Games
94/94 TG16 Games

Edited: 02/26/2013 at 11:29 AM by Crabmaster2000

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:03:53 AM
pk space jam (58)
(What is love?) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Oh god, this game, I still can't figure out how the hell to beat the first boss! Time to go to youtube, I'm gonna try my best to kick ass at all these games now that I won the random prize last game!

Buy my stuff (NES repros right now) here <------
Read about me learning NES programming here. 
Here's my band.
Pen & paper game I wrote about Dolphins

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:15:51 AM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States
Sweet! I used to be able to loop the game when I was a kid. Been a few years though. We will see how this goes.

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:40:39 AM
khog143 (73)
(Kevin Holbrook) < El Ripper >
Texas
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

Originally posted by: dra600n

Jesus, if that's a while, what's my decade of rust count as?

I think this is just me showing off my horrible forgetfullness.  

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:45:14 AM
Stan (81)
(Demonologist and Linguist Supreme) < Ridley Wrangler >
Virginia
Awesome. One of the first games I got for that legendary Christmas long ago. Question, is the Konami code permitted at the start of the game to get max power-ups?

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:47:21 AM
Chrono (23)
(Glamour Vintage) < Meka Chicken >
Korea, Republic of

^ lol.

Chrono: 156,900         (Update #3 - Feb 26)

I am searching for the following SNES manuals:
- Sunset Riders    - TMNT IV: Turtles in Time      - Total Carnage
- Utopia                 - Final Fantasy II
Please PM me if you have one or all of them for sale. While I like nice condition, I am interested in anything 7/10ish up.

Edited: 02/26/2013 at 09:37 AM by Chrono

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:55:02 AM
Stan (81)
Virginia
Originally posted by: Chrono

^ lol.

You dare laugh, sir?

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:58:19 AM
Chrono (23)
Korea, Republic of
A chuckle at most, and it was with you, not at; I assure you.

Is there really a Konami code for this game?

Please PM me if you have one or all of them for sale. While I like nice condition, I am interested in anything 7/10ish up.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:02:30 AM
pk space jam (58)
(What is love?) < Meka Chicken >
New York
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the weekly contests.  This week's game is gonna be Gradius.  Here are the rules:

• Play until Life "0" (There is no number where your lives are displayed when you reach your last life, so this will count as Life "0")
  • Once you reach Life "0," you MUST stop playing and take a picture of your score.  If it is determined you played more of the game on your last life, the score will not count.
  • Looping of the game will be allowed.  If you loop the score, please provide a picture just prior to looping the score and just after looping the score.  If you loop the score more than once, please provide before and after pictures for each loop.
  • Highest score wins.
  • GENRE: Shooter/Shoot 'Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 3/3/13 at 10 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will not be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun

Scores as of 2/25/13 at 12:25 AM

149,800 – rokubungi
93,800 – WashYourFace

looks like the Konami Code is out, Im practicing now, can get past 100,000 but once i die the first time i feel like im screwed.

Buy my stuff (NES repros right now) here <------
Read about me learning NES programming here. 
Here's my band.
Pen & paper game I wrote about Dolphins

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:13:31 AM
Stan (81)
Virginia

Yeah, similar to Abadox, gives you full power-ups.  Same code as Contra, you pause when the game starts, input, and there you go.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:14:28 AM
ookii_risu (66)
(Tonya B) < King Solomon >
Pennsylvania

Of course. I thought this was the game that was the most well-known for having it.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:33:16 AM
rokubungi (164)
(The Guardian) < Ridley Wrangler >
Tennessee
I didn't know abadox used the code. I think there's a non-Konami game that uses the code too.

If you have any GBA signage or kiosk I would be interested. Please send me a PM because I'm only here about once a month now but I'm still VERY interested in large system signage or small playable kiosks related to the GBA.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:44:37 AM
Chrono (23)
Korea, Republic of
I always thought the Konami code was from Contra...

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:52:48 AM
SwiftFrost (200)
< King Solomon >
United States

That's prolly what it's most famous for, but Gradius came out a couple years before Contra.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:56:28 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Edited: 02/25/2013 at 06:58 PM by bearcat-doug

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:07:03 AM
Stan (81)
Virginia

Kick this man out of the forums immediately.

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:07:34 AM
Stan (81)
Virginia
Originally posted by: rokubungi

I didn't know abadox used the code. I think there's a non-Konami game that uses the code too.
Sorry, didn't mean to state it like that. I meant similar as in it possesses a code to give you full power-ups.