Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Homebrew 8 BIT XMAS 2016 development OUT NOW!!!!

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:26:38 PM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

Originally posted by: zredgemz

Shoot'em up?
A mouse + controller shoot-em-up would be great, once the mouse adapter is out.

I'm thinking something along the lines of Fire Fight, where you use the d-pad (or arrow keys) to maneuver, and the mouse aims a turret with one button firing and the other either acting as secondary fire, weapons select, shields, or some other kind of secondary function.

I think it has a ton of potential.
Before I heard about the mouse adapter concept, I'd always envisioned that type of game as 2-player-mandatory, where one person is the pilot and one the gunner, kind of like the Millenium Falcon.

I like that two player idea a lot actually, that would be a blast

-------------------------
Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Jun 3, 2016 at 5:27:59 PM
Shane (146)
(Excellence of Execution) < King Solomon >
United States
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xha..." width="500">>

Back on topic, looks to me like it's becoming some sort of ball game. The EEs are your players and the 8 is the ball. But the players are not moving, Hmmm. Obviously not Warlords because it's been done already. Maybe they're throwing snoballs like it's 2009?

Originally posted by: Shane

Looks like a sexy Xmas pinball game is coming my way. Total emotional boner right here!
Holy freakking crap! How did I not see that! Huge Pinball Fan right here!            

Yeah man I'm super jacked! I love pinball so I can't wait for this. Assuming it is pinball and I'm not totally missing something.  

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:28:43 PM
Skorp (39)
(Bryan ) < Lolo Lord >
Texas
Super-duper. Can't wait! Xmas is pretty much around the corner these days.  

Help complete my N64 NFR With Minty Back Sticker set. Only need two more:
              Diddy Kong Racing and Super Smash Bros!
Want to Buy/Want to Trade For Thread|For Sale/Offer Thread

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:39:35 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana

allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="280" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xha..." width="500">>

Back on topic, looks to me like it's becoming some sort of ball game. The EEs are your players and the 8 is the ball. But the players are not moving, Hmmm. Obviously not Warlords because it's been done already. Maybe they're throwing snoballs like it's 2009?

Looks like a sexy Xmas pinball game is coming my way. Total emotional boner right here!
Holy freakking crap! How did I not see that! Huge Pinball Fan right here!            

Yeah man I'm super jacked! I love pinball so I can't wait for this. Assuming it is pinball and I'm not totally missing something.  
I don't think there's ever been a homebrew pinball game on any platform. Well there was a pinball builder on one of the bygone 8-bit computers (I forget which one). 2016 will be Xtra special then!

P.S. - I love it when Brian plays with my balls, er, pinballs!  

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 06/03/2016 at 10:40 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:42:10 AM
toshi5o3 (64)
(Sergio E.) < Meka Chicken >
California
Nice! Definitely into watching games being developed.  

"A Winner is You" -- Real audio on a cart? Full length NES album? Now you're listening with power. Play it on your AVS (or toaster): RetroUSB.com

Jun 5, 2016 at 1:48:36 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
ugh, the FB #3 has been up for 32 minutes! What's the hold up?  

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:17:43 AM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
8 BIT XMAS 2016 dev #3 - animations

More object animations started! Also removed the background to make it easier to see. Still some physics bugs like the ball getting stuck at the beginning. Yes at some point I paid for Screenium so that banner will go away.  This video was recorded on May 20, 2 days after #1.  First work I did that wasn't at an airport or on a plane!

Jun 6, 2016 at 12:25:15 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
(Tim ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Can't wait to see the actual graphics take shape!

Current Project
Isometric Survival Horror

Older Projects
Tailgate Party, Power Pad Demo, Happy Hour

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Jun 6, 2016 at 1:48:34 AM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Originally posted by: KHAN Games

I bet JamesRobot will like this a lot.

Ha ha ha!  I get it now!  Can't wait for some XMAS pinball!

Edited: 06/06/2016 at 01:49 AM by JamesRobot

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:45:41 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Definitely seeing the pinball action now. Physics look pretty good. Can't wait for this to drop. Can I say first homebrew pinball action, ever?  

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:34:19 AM
Shane (146)
United States
This will easily be my favorite of the series. May be too early to ask but will there be Xmas tunes while playing?

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:43:01 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
Nebraska

This will easily be my favorite of the series. May be too early to ask but will there be Xmas tunes while playing?

I don't see why not, all the others do. I'm hoping the graphics will be X-Mas related! X-mas themed pinball machine! First ever?

Current Project

Older Projects

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:56:16 AM
KHAN Games (89)
(Kevin Hanley) < Master Higgins >
Florida

Can I say first homebrew pinball action, ever?  

I'm pretty sure you have. Twice now.

gauauu: look, we all paid $10K at some point in our lives for the privilege of hanging out with Kevin

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:57:08 AM
Shane (146)
United States
Originally posted by: Mega Mario Man

I don't see why not, all the others do. I'm hoping the graphics will be X-Mas related! X-mas themed pinball machine! First ever?

2015 doesn't while you play. 

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:58:46 AM
Mega Mario Man (63)
Nebraska

Originally posted by: Mega Mario Man

2015 doesn't while you play. 
While Playing! I wasn't reading all of the words. You are correct, sir.

Current Project

Older Projects

Links
Store, Facebook, Twitter

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:03:45 PM
zi (73)
New York
XMAS TUNES YOU ASK!?

well, I just confirmed that Bleep Bop Records will be doing the music for the fourth year in a row, bringing you Christmas tunes that will warm the heart!

I liked the spinning tree on the title screen for '15, but I'm going to try and get those songs to play during gameplay. To the music machine thingy!

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:12:02 PM
Shane (146)
United States
Originally posted by: zi

XMAS TUNES YOU ASK!?

well, I just confirmed that Bleep Bop Records will be doing the music for the fourth year in a row, bringing you Christmas tunes that will warm the heart!

I liked the spinning tree on the title screen for '15, but I'm going to try and get those songs to play during gameplay. To the music machine thingy!

Fawkin A!

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:01:49 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

XMAS TUNES YOU ASK!?

Awesome, thank you! 2015 was awesome but lacked something due to the absense of music during the game. Also since most of the best Xmas releases have been reissued (2009 as 16-bit Xmas 2012, and 20111, 2013, and 2015 are getting ported as AVS launch titles). I plan to get all three reisues, and I think 2016 could be another potential for reissue at a later date. I wonder if the fact past Xmas titles got reissued in 2016 will affect resale prices of the old Xmas carts, or future sales?

I now have a complete set of 8-bit Xmas carts starting with 2011, and plan to continue them. But as a die hard pinball fan, I'm super stoked!  

Jun 6, 2016 at 7:14:32 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
Won't know if theres enough cpu or ram for music during gameplay for at least a few more weeks. Still lots of features missing and I might need to increase game speed which will eat lots of cpu time.

Jun 7, 2016 at 4:35:18 PM
toshi5o3 (64)
(Sergio E.) < Meka Chicken >
California

XMAS TUNES YOU ASK!?

Awesome dude! Looking forward to checking out the new x-mas tunes   Any ideas as to which heart-warming tunes are going to make it in this year?

"A Winner is You" -- Real audio on a cart? Full length NES album? Now you're listening with power. Play it on your AVS (or toaster): RetroUSB.com

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:23:23 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
8 BIT XMAS 2016 development video #4.

Look at those pretty graphics! Ok its just more placeholder to show what the table will eventually look like. Many object in their final position, and the start of the ball holder. I should have made this one longer.

https://www.facebook.com/retroUSB...

Edited: 06/07/2016 at 06:23 PM by bunnyboy

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:34:12 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
ball holder.  

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:39:59 PM
zi (73)
New York
Ball hold- damn it, beat me to it. BEAT ME!

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:16:11 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Jingle Balls...  

Zi, I'm thinking at least one tune with "bells" in the title would be fitting this year, since pinball pop bumpers kind of sound like bells. Jingle Bells gets overused though. Perhaps, "DING, DONG, DING, DONG... Christmas Bells are Ring-ing...  

Marshmallow World had me stumped a bit last year as I needed my mom's help identifying it. Then I saw an ad for a department store with that song in it and I'm like, "Duh!"  

I also like how most years have a mix of sacred and secular songs in them. Anyway take care Zi.  

Edited: 06/08/2016 at 06:18 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:09:14 PM
bunnyboy (81)
California
8 BIT XMAS 2016 development video #5.

More objects functional like ball holders on edges, bumpers at bottom, and kickers displayed. Ball goes farther down off bottom of screen (which gets undone later). Physics is pretty much finished at this point. This stage is pretty boring. I know what I want, its not challenging, just takes time to write and debug everything.  Originally recorded on May 25.

https://www.facebook.com/retroUSB...

Edited: 06/08/2016 at 06:10 PM by bunnyboy