Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

A possible forum subcategory suggestion.

Jul 30, 2018 at 4:49:36 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
I know that we have a Homebrew section, but that is largely devoted to making homebrew NES games.

I am now seeing a lot of people are collecting games for Switch, with the "retro aesthetic", like Axiom Verge for example (which was made entirely by one guy)... or Dead Cells. These are essentially "indie retro" games like you would find on Steam.

We don't really have a forum for these types of games. I-for example-am developing a title that will work on the PC, XBox One, PS4, and the Switch. This wouldn't fit in the "Homebrew" section because that forum is based around Nintendo programming/assembly code.

If there isn't enough of a demand (the Homebrew section is already pretty slow), maybe it's better to stick to other forums (like game development forums) for that.

-------------------------
sega-saturn.org - coming soon
a repository for retrospective articles and reviews on the Saturn.

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:30:21 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
I think the brewery is sufficient enough for something like that, if the other guys disagree then we can discuss it.

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:59:06 PM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
I second what mr.wunderful said, I think the brewery is sufficient considering that it is meant for game development in general. If you wanna post about it, post it there or post it in everything else. I used to have a 3d printing thread in everything else, so I would just post there if you feel there isn't a category that you think fits the topic at hand.

Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Edited: 07/30/2018 at 05:59 PM by SNESNESCUBE64

Jul 30, 2018 at 6:02:09 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Brewery is mostly for people actually creating games (and supporters.) Stuff like coding discussions, etc. by members.

Games that are created by outside entities should probably just go in Gamer's Gauntlet.

Jul 30, 2018 at 6:22:10 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
I understand that, but it seems to favor "Homebrews" and programming for the NES (NES assembly code).
In other words, is it also for indie game dev for any type? Using C# or whatever engine?

I would like to field the opinions of the actual Homebrewers because some of them take exception to "retro style" games on new consoles.

Edited: 07/30/2018 at 06:28 PM by Muta

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:24:09 PM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan
Originally posted by: mutaxlock66

I understand that, but it seems to favor "Homebrews" and programming for the NES (NES assembly code).
In other words, is it also for indie game dev for any type? Using C# or whatever engine?

I would like to field the opinions of the actual Homebrewers because some of them take exception to "retro style" games on new consoles.
Yes, the description is essentially for the Hombrews, Development, and Tech Talk. It doesn't necessarily have to relate to NES Assembly. For example, I made a thread talking about a circuit board that I was designing, it is a very broad category. I do not think it needs to be split up, it is not like new threads are flooding much of the brewery.

So in short, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to talk about something that you are developing and getting feedback from the community within the brewery.

Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:36:15 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: SNESNESCUBE64

Yes, the description is essentially for the Hombrews, Development, and Tech Talk. It doesn't necessarily have to relate to NES Assembly. For example, I made a thread talking about a circuit board that I was designing, it is a very broad category. I do not think it needs to be split up, it is not like new threads are flooding much of the brewery.

So in short, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to talk about something that you are developing and getting feedback from the community within the brewery.

I do miss that about the Discord. The Brewery section was a lot more active.

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:37:38 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

You tend to have more NES homebrewers since the console is relatively simple and games can be done by a small team (or one person.) But there's nothing stopping any other platform from being discussed.

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:45:47 PM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
Yeah Brewery makes sense. It's just a game dev category. Anything related goes there, by my understanding. If people don't like the aesthetic they're likely to just not post. Thread crapping is looked down upon in general.

Edited: 07/30/2018 at 07:46 PM by Gloves

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:50:28 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: Gloves

Yeah Brewery makes sense. It's just a game dev category. Anything related goes there, by my understanding. If people don't like the aesthetic they're likely to just not post. Thread crapping is looked down upon in general.

If you look at the thread I posted about the retro aesthetic... it got crapped on a bit. But you were on the thread so you saw. lol
At this point I'm just afraid of even what I can and can't say.

Edited: 07/30/2018 at 07:51 PM by Muta

Jul 30, 2018 at 7:59:58 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Originally posted by: Tulpa

You tend to have more NES homebrewers since the console is relatively simple and games can be done by a small team (or one person.) But there's nothing stopping any other platform from being discussed.

Gloves argued in my thread that one person could make a retro style game as quick as 16 trained Nintendo veterans when they were making Super Mario World (which - there is video - Miyamoto shows the proprietary engine they built for it and other games).

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:02:30 PM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
If its dev, homebrew. If it's a game, Gamers Gauntlet. Type of game doesn't matter, GG discusses stuff from Shovel Knight to God of War to anything from NES or even earlier. The existing forum structure covers it all.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:04:32 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Agreed. Not active enough for a sub-forum.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:05:21 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

Gloves argued in my thread that one person could make a retro style game as quick as 16 trained Nintendo veterans when they were making Super Mario World (which - there is video - Miyamoto shows the proprietary engine they built for it and other games).

I definitely never said that, for one.

That said, I will say it here. Absolutely, one person can whip out a game as quickly as a team did back in the day. Of the same quality and polish? No of course not (again, I never said that). That was the problem I was stating in my original post on the other thread you made, is that it's so easy now to make games that look retro, that hardly anyone is putting in the effort to make actually good ones - many are quick cash grabs trying to take advantage of nostalgia, and these have flooded the market. Just look at Steam, Xbox, PSN, and even Switch to a degree - shit games in a retro style are everywhere because they are quick and easy to make.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:08:53 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

I'm talking comparing NES vs something like even SNES. There's a reason NES has way more homebrewers developing for it.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:09:40 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California

If you look at the thread I posted about the retro aesthetic... it got crapped on a bit. But you were on the thread so you saw. lol
At this point I'm just afraid of even what I can and can't say.

I dont think I would qualify that as “crapping”. 

And if you are not sure about what you can and cant say, read the FAQ. Or, feel free to ask myself or any mod or admin. 

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:48:46 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >

I definitely never said that, for one. That said, I will say it here. Absolutely, one person can whip out a game as quickly as a team did back in the day. Of the same quality and polish? No of course not (again, I never said that). That was the problem I was stating in my original post on the other thread you made, is that it's so easy now to make games that look retro, that hardly anyone is putting in the effort to make actually good ones - many are quick cash grabs trying to take advantage of nostalgia, and these have flooded the market. Just look at Steam, Xbox, PSN, and even Switch to a degree - shit games in a retro style are everywhere because they are quick and easy to make.

What about shit 3D games? They are "arguably" just as easy to make. That's like saying you don't need a record label now - so the market is flooded with crappy music because it is easier to distribute now... you don't have to press a CD, a booklet, etc.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:06:23 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

I definitely never said that, for one. That said, I will say it here. Absolutely, one person can whip out a game as quickly as a team did back in the day. Of the same quality and polish? No of course not (again, I never said that). That was the problem I was stating in my original post on the other thread you made, is that it's so easy now to make games that look retro, that hardly anyone is putting in the effort to make actually good ones - many are quick cash grabs trying to take advantage of nostalgia, and these have flooded the market. Just look at Steam, Xbox, PSN, and even Switch to a degree - shit games in a retro style are everywhere because they are quick and easy to make.

What about shit 3D games? They are "arguably" just as easy to make. That's like saying you don't need a record label now - so the market is flooded with crappy music because it is easier to distribute now... you don't have to press a CD, a booklet, etc.

3D games are definitely not as easy to make, and certainly nowhere near as easy to make them look at least decent. 

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:08:11 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >

3D games are definitely not as easy to make, and certainly nowhere near as easy to make them look at least decent. 

Why? You could simply buy or license an FPS engine through Unreal Engine, buy the assets (models, skins, etc)... It's an X, Y, Z compared to an X and a Y with flipbook animation. Get a license to Gaia, TreeMaker. You'll be set.

Edited: 07/30/2018 at 09:09 PM by Muta

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:11:28 PM
Gloves (110)
Ontario

Why? You could simply buy or license an FPS engine through Unreal Engine, buy the assets (models, skins, etc)... It's an X, Y, Z compared to an X and a Y with flipbook animation. Get a license to Gaia, TreeMaker. You'll be set.

Buy RPG Maker, or any number of platforming engines, or shmup engines for that matter.

Fact is, at a glance, it's much easier to make 2d sprites look palatable than anything 3D rendered. In general people can tell when a 3D character is a copy pasta, versus sprites which tend to be easier to mix it up.

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:16:04 PM
Muta (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >

Buy RPG Maker, or any number of platforming engines, or shmup engines for that matter. Fact is, at a glance, it's much easier to make 2d sprites look palatable than anything 3D rendered. In general people can tell when a 3D character is a copy pasta, versus sprites which tend to be easier to mix it up.

That's more of an opinion than a fact. I can tell certain sprite artist's work after studying them. I have guys at school that are great with Blender, and can simulate working 3D slot machines and sell them to people in Vegas. I came in already knowing how to make 3D games, and am leaving more intrigued about 2D games.

You basically have a model which is almost like a puppet with 3D... it isn't frame by frame animation like a cartoon. Do you make games?