Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Air Raid for 2600 up for Auction Air Raid up for Auction

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:55:19 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I know nothing of Atari either, but if that box is legit then I imagine this is probably going to be the most historic Atari auction ever.

-------------------------
WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:58:31 AM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
1982 Men-A-Vision
L.A. California

Very interesting. The box seems legit, I have a tough time thinking people are going to continue to claim that this is unlikely to be a US release.

This is pretty amazing stuff, I wonder if he'll auction it separately or re-list it.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:02:58 AM
AllYourBass (101)
(Pepe Silvia) < Bowser >
Alberta
Well, holy shit. I can't believe he found the box. I find it totally mind-blowing that it truly is called "Air Raid"... Bah, too much craziness.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:09:48 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

Originally posted by: buyatari2

The AGCI Wally Bear is at the final step of production both in data and form.

No, it's not.  There's nothing even close to conclusive that would suggest otherwise.  Stamping your feet and pouting will not prove otherwise.

The data is final. The label is production in style and final meaning no changes would have been made to it.  What is there to prove? You jumping up and down won't change that. It is final in shape and form.

If there was a PS2 disc that ran on US retail systems but was missing the top art it would be called a pre-production and lumped in with the prototypes. If the same disc had the final artwork on the disc then it might be called a test disc by some but would not be a prototype even if it was the only one. I can't argue with you because your understanding of what is a prototype changes based on the game we are talking about.

That is crazy that someone found an Air Raid box. The timing is very suspicious but if it is an April fools joke it is the best one ever.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:21:19 AM
VGS_MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts

Originally posted by: BeaglePuss

The AGCI Wally Bear is at the final step of production both in data and form.

No, it's not.  There's nothing even close to conclusive that would suggest otherwise.  Stamping your feet and pouting will not prove otherwise.

The data is final. The label is production in style and final meaning no changes would have been made to it.  What is there to prove? You jumping up and down won't change that. It is final in shape and form.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:21:53 AM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois
What do you guys think this auction will end at?

I'm bored so closest without going over I'll send $1 paypal gift to!

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:23:15 AM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts

I can't argue with you because your understanding of what is a prototype changes based on the game we are talking about.

Originally posted by: qixmaster

com'n you two, this thread is about air raid, can't you disagree in the wally bear thread

Mr. Qix is right.  If you want to continue debating, bump the old thread.  This thread is about Air Raid, not Wally Bear.  Everything said in this thread by the two of us has been stated in the previous topic.  There's nothing new or ground breaking, so no point in bickering. 

On topic:  If this box is legit, and it sure looks that way, that's a fantastic discovery.  If this is a joke, it would be frightening as the box looks amazingly authentic.

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:06:01 AM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Pretty fucking sweet. I have a hunch who will win this auction

eBay listings here

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:47:07 AM
Cauterize (6)
(Captain Pikachu) < Eggplant Wizard >
United Kingdom
Originally posted by: OzNEScollector

damn.. so is there any way that this box could be verified as legit? by the sounds of it only one other person has a box or one other box has ever shown up...i know nothing of atari stuff, educate me

I wondered the same. But how can anyone verify something that has never been seen before!?

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:30:10 PM
AcePuppy (2)
(Ryan C) < Crack Trooper >
Virginia
I will update the original post on this thread with the new link, once he re-lists the auction with the box.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:45:30 PM
jlange (3)
(Do Wah Diddy) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Ummm....wow. This should be an interesting auction afterall.

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:42:16 PM
choppyfield (54)
(K G) < Meka Chicken >
New York
WOW! this is huuuuuge. We will finally see what RARE dominates. This game shot up a lot, didn't the last one end in the 2k area?

Edited: 03/31/2010 at 07:50 PM by choppyfield

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:02:35 PM
AcePuppy (2)
Virginia
Seller said the following from the AtariAge forum:

Ok, I just got home and here is how my night is going to go down:

1) I will be send a letter to each bidder of my current auction letting them know why I will be removing that auction and that another one will be posted which will included the box.
2) Around 9pm central time, I will post the new auction. It will end a week from Saturday between 7pm and 10pm depending on which time zone. That why most everyone who wants to bid will be home. I will be using the exact same reserve price as the previous auction. Please note that this new listing will cost me another $52.
3) Once the new listing is up, I will go edit the old one bacilli stating why it is being removed along with the listing number for the new auction.
4) I will then cancel the old auction. Please note that I will not get back the $52 I spent listing the first one.

I have kept out of the debate up to this point but wanted to say s few things.

I opened up this thread last night for two reasons. I have never sold anything on eBay before and I asked several times for advice on how to proceed with something this big. I did not really receive any. Second, I wanted to start an intelligent conversation about the box so that I could link to it in my auction to help people decide if they want to bid and to help promote AA as a premier website for Atari information. This will not be happening. This thread has gone straight to the wild imaginations of conspiracy nuts. Only information it does raise is the question why a company who programmed such a bad game did not take the to make sure that there lines were perfectly straight. Must be fake. Or everyone in Austin must be know everyone. Must be fake. Or my favorite, what the box smells like. Must be fake.

I would like to ask everyone one question and only want you to answer it to yourself. The next time someone finds a rare or interesting Atari item and they need some information, after they read how you chewed me up, how excited do you think they will be to join the AA community?

Here is what is going to happen. I am going to post my auction. It will be here after the 2nd of April. It will close out in tens days and someone will have the only know original Air Raid box and cartridge to go with it, and instead of AA looking like a great place to meet people who share common interests, it is going to be perceived as closed knit group who runs off new people.

I will be around all night is any one has any legitimate questions...

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:03:32 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: Cauterize

Originally posted by: OzNEScollector

damn.. so is there any way that this box could be verified as legit? by the sounds of it only one other person has a box or one other box has ever shown up...i know nothing of atari stuff, educate me

I wondered the same. But how can anyone verify something that has never been seen before!?

you couldn't 100% be sure it was legit but you could get a very good feeling.   what you could be sure of is if it was fake.   wrong printing method for the date it was supposedly made... etc.  that kind of stuff.   Anything laserprinted and supposedly from 1982 doesn't quite add up.    Same with the box's paper stock, etc etc.   Someone with more knowledge of printing could tell you what else to look for.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:21:42 PM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
wow, that is beyond awesome! I'm way more excited about this one than all that Stadium Events stuff.

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:07:20 PM
SystemFreak (36)
(Steve Lin) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Yeah, I'm guessing we might see people selling stuff to raise funds for this. I'd say I'm in, but I'm positive it will go for more than I'm willing to pay.

WTB: E3 2004 Preview DS System, Toshio Iwai Electroplankton Release Party DS System

http://www.systemfreak.com...

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:15:25 PM
SystemFreak (36)
(Steve Lin) < Eggplant Wizard >
California

Yes, I WONDER who you could be referring to?  

WTB: E3 2004 Preview DS System, Toshio Iwai Electroplankton Release Party DS System

http://www.systemfreak.com...

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:31:31 PM
Darth Vader (84)
(Tony Scarlato) < El Ripper >
Illinois
Do you think he would bring in more money if he just rode out the current auction and listed the box by itself?

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:20:00 PM
AcePuppy (2)
Virginia
Post is updated. First link is the auction.

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:51:10 PM
projectingstars (95)
(S. K.) < King Solomon >
Washington
OMG! I want to know what the hardcore Atari guys think of that box. Legit? Not legit?

even if it turns out to be made afterthefact, I still would think it would add some value, regardless.

"Absurdity is what I like most in life, and there's humor in struggling in ignorance. If you saw a man repeatedly running into a wall until he was a bloody pulp, after a while it would make you laugh because it becomes absurd".

-David Lynch

Edited: 03/31/2010 at 11:52 PM by projectingstars

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:59:10 AM
mb7241 (183)
(Matt B.) < Bowser >
Tennessee
It's not surprising to me that this box exists...I had a strong feeling it did, even when I collected Atari back some 5 years ago. What will be surprising, though, is what this box ends up doing to this auction for price...though I don't believe it will surpass the $13k CIB SE auction (who knows, though...Atari collectors are crazy)...

Answering any and all questions related to video game collecting.  Guaranteed true and honest answers from a man with nearly 20 years in the community.  Prices for these answers vary depending on the question.  For all inquiries, please PM me.

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:54:19 AM
the_wizard_666 (157)
(The Fat Ninja) < Wiz's Mom >
Alberta
I've seen Atari CARTS hit high 4 to early 5 digits...a one-of-a-kind box in such good condition...I may sound crazy, but considering what I've seen tossed around, I'd venture a guess at 16K easy.

"It's always amazing to me how some of the most worthless games from a gaming perspective tend to fetch outrageous amounts of money. But then again, it could be said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm curious if the high bidder of the $873.04 Stadium Events (cart-only) realizes that it's nowhere nearly as rare as about 20+ games I can think of that sell for 1/10th that amount?  At any rate, I wanted to draw attention to this trend: if people say it's rare, it must be true, and therefore it must be had at any price."
-Dain Anderson, October 14, 2006
Originally posted by: kryptk33p3r

im used to dick jokes i get to see one everytime I pee

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:41:32 AM
jlange (3)
(Do Wah Diddy) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Originally posted by: mb7241

It's not surprising to me that this box exists...

I have to agree here. I've read up on some atari stuff here and there throughout the years (just because I played as a kid), and I knew this game was rare. How rare it was I didn't know. Just read about it around the net. But it only makes sense that a box exist somewhere. Even if it was a pirated game from Mexico or wherever, why not even a cheap box? The NES pirates even have cheap boxes, wouldn't be hard to believe that for atari stuff either.

On another note, that is one cool looking box

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:17:41 AM
buyatari2 (30)

< Master Higgins >
United States
Originally posted by: the_wizard_666

I've seen Atari CARTS hit high 4 to early 5 digits...a one-of-a-kind box in such good condition...I may sound crazy, but considering what I've seen tossed around, I'd venture a guess at 16K easy.

Up until now Atari has pretty much maxed out at the 5k mark. Some unreleased systems sold between 5 and 10k but outside of those I can't think of anything selling close to the 10k mark.

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:09:39 AM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon
Originally posted by: SystemFreak

Yes, I WONDER who you could be referring to?  

Only an Air Raid box will bring Steve out of the woodworks.  You going to CGE this year?

eBay listings here