Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Socks the Cat KICKSTARTER >> NOW LIVE!! <<

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:33:48 AM
ne$_pimp (56)
(OM ) < Master Higgins >
Ontario
Second Dimension is pulling this off, noice work Dragoon.

-------------------------
Playas Guide Logo

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:02:28 AM
RpgCollector (128)
(Jeff Oconnell) < Kraid Killer >
California
Nice

Down to the last 2 Sega Game Gear games I need for the CIB USA set. What I will pay for CIB:

Fantastic Dizzy -$300 & Sports Illustrated -$300

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:43:07 AM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: dballin

Cool! Understand this next question isn't being asked out of malice but general ignorance of the process.

Is it really going to take 8 months to produce or is that a worst case scenario? If the game is already made is it reliant on the slow boat from China or these being locally sourced? Hand made? I worked in an industrial PROM shop and we'd be able to fulfill the entire run of $30k worth of cart only pledges in a day or two. I know you won't have the same capability, but the timeline seems incredibly drawn out.

We certainly hope not. We had to pick a date that didn't put us in a complete bind if something comes up. Our hopes are to deliver it much sooner than July. Unfortunately with Kickstarter you have one chance to pick a date. You can't put a range. So rather than painting ourselves into a corner we thought we'd better be safe. 

As as far as your manufacturing questions. A LOT depends on how many we sell. 

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:45:55 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: K.Thrower

Also interested if this will be available outside of kickstarter.

That's definitely the plan. Tom and I have started working out the details of publishing after the campaign runs its course.

Also, maybe if you bug Tom/MinusWorlds enough (I know I do this daily), a Genesis port will get tossed into the stretch goals  

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 11, 2016 at 7:46:50 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: ne$_pimp

Second Dimension is pulling this off, noice work Dragoon.

Thanks broham, but I can't take all the credit - we have a great team behind the project

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:11:22 AM
DarkTone (2)
(GameCube Boss) < Bowser >
United Kingdom
Good luck.

"Vacations are dangerous! They give you too much time to realize you work too hard." - Dain

Feel free to help NA  here

Oct 11, 2016 at 8:22:25 AM
introless (24)
(random guy) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
Just a heads up, your bio says this...

"At one time I owned the only copy of the NTSC version of The Legend of Zelda for the NES."

I'm assuming you meant the only known prototype?   Otherwise I have a revelation in my collection for you all...

Edited: 10/11/2016 at 08:24 AM by introless

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:33:10 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Well, I made my pledge. If you reach your goal, do you have any other Kickstarter levels planned?  For instance, how much would it cost to get the "Official Nintendo License" seal?  I know that CAPCOM discussed this with Mega Man X, I believe, and getting an actual NES cart made.  The deemed to expensive, so it might not be possible.  Stilll, it's worth a shot if it's plausible.

Also, this is my first contribution to Kickstarter (no kidding). Is there a way I can make multiple pledges and get multiple versions of the cart/CIB?

Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Edited: 10/11/2016 at 09:34 AM by rlh

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:48:07 AM
Fleck586 (155)
(Jason Fleck) < Lolo Lord >
Missouri
Backed

"I'm sorry Bruce.  These boys get that syrup in 'em and they get all antsy in their pantsies."

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:56:45 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: rlh

Well, I made my pledge. If you reach your goal, do you have any other Kickstarter levels planned?  For instance, how much would it cost to get the "Official Nintendo License" seal?  I know that CAPCOM discussed this with Mega Man X, I believe, and getting an actual NES cart made.  The deemed to expensive, so it might not be possible.  Stilll, it's worth a shot if it's plausible.

Also, this is my first contribution to Kickstarter (no kidding). Is there a way I can make multiple pledges and get multiple versions of the cart/CIB?

Good questions. Give me til the end of the day to figure some of the answers out for you (and maybe MinusWorlds already has some answers)

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:00:27 AM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
Also submitted this story to Slashdot. They've listened to my posts before. Not sure if it helps that my UID is well below 1,000,000, if I recall correctly.

Anyone else buddies with any other tech/gaming news outlets?

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:05:27 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
If anyone does submit things to these sites and it gets published, please share the links with us   I'd like to get as many articles collected as possible.

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:08:12 AM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: introless

Just a heads up, your bio says this...

"At one time I owned the only copy of the NTSC version of The Legend of Zelda for the NES."

I'm assuming you meant the only known prototype?   Otherwise I have a revelation in my collection for you all...
Yeah sure bud and I bet it's gold too, right?

Haha. Nice catch!

Oct 11, 2016 at 10:49:54 AM
Vandy (45)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
I have to say, I could see some people being turned off by the FAQ in the Risks and Challenges section. I know it's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but it wavers a little too close to being snide and taking on a taunting undertone.

Oct 11, 2016 at 11:46:14 AM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Yeah, entirely new people may not understand the tone of the kickstarter. I do admit, it does have an air of being unprofessional. Look at just about any other game kickstarter, they are much more thorough and visual.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:00:24 PM
tarkusAB (73)
(Anthony ) < Meka Chicken >
Rhode Island
I think the most glaring omission is lack of pictures. No screenshots? No concept pics of standard and limited box manual and game?

It's pretty standard for kickstarters to include pictures of the rewards. All you are really providing is concept cover art, history of the game, and your word everything will be OK.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:04:49 PM
rlh (67)
North Carolina
...and Videos.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:16:49 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Everyone, the KS page will get updated. If that's the only thing people are bitching about, I'd say that's a win. No need to beat a dead horse and jump on the negative bandwagon that some folks bring into threads regardless of topic.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:19:59 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Trump gave you a new tagline for Socks the Cat...

"Grab this game by the pussy!"

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:21:16 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:28:21 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

Hahahahahahahahahaahahhaha

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:29:24 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: dra600n

Hahahahahahahahahaahahhaha

Best part is, you could quite literally digitize his sound bite and figure out how to get it in as an easter egg.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:46:24 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
Will the original unedited ROM eventually be made available somehow? As nice as an enhanced update is, the original would be nice for historical preservation and posterity.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:51:22 PM
BeaglePuss (41)
(Matt Nolan) < Bowser >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Guntz

Will the original unedited ROM eventually be made available somehow? As nice as an enhanced update is, the original would be nice for historical preservation and posterity.

In short? Absolutely.

How and when is to be announced at a later date.

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:52:33 PM
MrMark0673 (455)
(Mark Nolan) < Master Higgins >
Massachusetts
Originally posted by: Guntz

From the Socks thread in protoculture:

Originally posted by: MinusWorlds

Originally posted by: Frog

Originally posted by: MinusWorlds

Originally posted by: bootload

I said I would never back another video game Kickstarter but I'll back this one. I'll be getting a complete boxed copy if you're offering it. Is one of the tiers going to be offering the prototype as a reward?
Thank you, we appreciate the support!!! I think one of the key differentiators with our release is how far along we are. This was by design. It pissses me off personally when you see a Kickstarter and the game isn't even in the testing phase or is being "designed".  We are a couple steps away from production. 

Great questions, here are the answers:

There are 3 boxed versions. Standard release, Limited Edition and there will also be 3 Dev copies available during the Kickstarter. Every version has their own artwork with the Dev Copy being just, well, insane. As for the proto, the plan was to offer that on a tier but the Kickstarter site has limitations as to what you can do. We also wanted to do a sweepstakes which we can't do either. Kind of a bummer. I'll ask for exceptions but don't get your hopes up. If we can't tier the proto I don't know what we'll do there. 

If we cant get the sweepstakes exception maybe we can do that here. The prize package includes a custom "Socks" SNES console, by non other than customnesguy, a standard edition boxed copy, some autographed posters and maybe some other trinkets. 

EDIT - It's also worth mentioning the Dev Copy is different from the standard and LE versions. It will have actual game features not available in the other copies.  

Will there be a way to have access to the unmodified game besides by winning the prototype? It would be kind of sad to just see it get lost in the void.

To be honest that's something we'll look at after the Kickstarter. I don't want it to be lost either...

Hi, my name is Mark, and I collect (and now sell!) Prototypes.

Photobucket

The Largest Comprehensive List of NES Protos for Sale Available on the Web!
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...