NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Can NA beat every N64 game in a year? - 2019 85/303 Complete: 28.05%

Feb 25 at 2:27:28 AM
OptOut (10)
(Taiwan PAL Gamer ) < Lolo Lord >
Taiwan
ID software salutes me! Quake is done!

Great game, masterful! Once you get into it, there's nothing more exhilarating, the combat is hands down better than any other non-Rareware FPS on the system.

Also, gotta say, for all the grief I've been giving the game based on its looks, it does look amazingly clean and crisp in HD, just like the other ID shooters on the N64.

Next, gonna chill on the big games, and take on a couple of smaller ones... Hey, who remembers Rugrats?!  

-------------------------

***Help me finish my N64 set!!!***
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...
***I will pay good money for YOUR shovelware sports games!!!***

Feb 25 at 8:17:14 AM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
Even with my final boss problems. I always enjoyed Quake more than Doom or Duke Nukem.

Feb 25 at 9:58:48 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Originally posted by: themisfit138

Even with my final boss problems. I always enjoyed Quake more than Doom or Duke Nukem.

It certainly wins in terms of gameplay, balance and fun, not to mention the fully 3d levels and character models. But, I still prefer the more detailed environments and interesting level designs of Duke Nukem, as well as the character designs and more varied weapons, and of course the humour. Overall, Duke wins on the back of those features, especially seeing it is no slouch in the gameplay department either. But, frankly it is a toss up, they are both great games, both have great 64 ports.

Doom 64 is a little different, as it is not the same game as the original Doom. I'd say I like it less than either N64 Quake or Duke Nukem 64, and it isn't as good as the original Doom either. I'd say the levels are a little over designed compared to the original. But, nonetheless Doom 64 is still a very good game, and all three of these titles bolster an incredibly strong library of FPS games on the N64. Buy them all!

Feb 25 at 11:46:39 AM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
Originally posted by: OptOut

It certainly wins in terms of gameplay, balance and fun, not to mention the fully 3d levels and character models. But, I still prefer the more detailed environments and interesting level designs of Duke Nukem, as well as the character designs and more varied weapons, and of course the humour. Overall, Duke wins on the back of those features, especially seeing it is no slouch in the gameplay department either. But, frankly it is a toss up, they are both great games, both have great 64 ports. Doom 64 is a little different, as it is not the same game as the original Doom. I'd say I like it less than either N64 Quake or Duke Nukem 64, and it isn't as good as the original Doom either. I'd say the levels are a little over designed compared to the original. But, nonetheless Doom 64 is still a very good game, and all three of these titles bolster an incredibly strong library of FPS games on the N64. Buy them all!

I will have to get these on N64 to check them out. I have them all on Saturn. I imagine the soundtrack isn’t as good on 64. 

Feb 25 at 6:04:47 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
The sega Saturn version of Quake is actually very different to the N64 version, as well as the original PC game. It was built from the ground up by Lobotomy Software using their Slave driver game engine, which was more suited to getting 3D games running on Saturn. They used the same engine for Duke Nukem as well, so that game is also different, although I believe it is a little more faithful to the original. As far as I have heard, both these games are considered technical marvels for even running on the Saturn in the first place!

I guess that would be good news for you though, Misfit, as you would be getting a new experience out of playing the N64 versions! I'd definitely be interested in hearing your take on them, once you've given them a shot to compare!

Feb 26 at 1:21:32 AM
PuppyWaffles (114)
(Matt ) < Ridley Wrangler >
Tennessee
Episode One Racer is almost done.

Got some Japanese N64 CIBs you wanna sell in good condition? I'm probably your guy!

Feb 28 at 2:43:42 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
SPLAIN ALERT!

Rugrats Treasure Hunt (or Scavenger Hunt, as it is called in less civilised parts) is complete!

Not much to say on this one, it's boring and lame and not good, but I don't find it hugely offensive. I'm now working on Rugrats in Paris.

Mar 01 at 9:56:51 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
SPLAIN ALERT! Rugrats in Paris the Movie is complete!

This game happens to be a lot more fun than the other Rugrats game. It's very simple and easy, however, but I'd say it probably would make a fun game for little kids. Lots of mini-games and stuff that are actually mildly entertaining. Eh, I can't sing it's praises that highly, but yeah played much worse.

Mar 02 at 2:39:30 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Almost beat Dark Rift this afternoon, got to the final fight but had to go out so I couldn't finish. Gonna give it another run later if I get the chance.

Quite a nice looking game with a surprisingly decent soundtrack... Too bad the gameplay is terrible, with awful A.I.! Scratch this one up as just another bad N64 3D fighter!

Mar 02 at 7:57:53 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
SPLAIN ALERT!

Dark Rift is now complete!

Did you know that this game is known as Space Dynamites in Japan? Did you WANT to know? Well too late, everybody, you do now!  

Mar 02 at 11:10:28 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Nice job! OptOut is keeping us afloat. I've been distracted but I should have some time this weekend to get back to it.

Mar 05 at 8:40:02 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Originally posted by: Splain

Nice job! OptOut is keeping us afloat. I've been distracted but I should have some time this weekend to get back to it.

Yep, plodding along! Clearly our pace is a little out of line with last year, but the year is yet young!

Taking on Turok 1 now, the only Turok game I have yet to beat on the system. Currently loving it, very interesting to go back to this one after playing the significantly more advanced games in the series that came after it. We'll see how it goes!

Mar 06 at 10:01:26 AM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
There are a lot of lengthy games we have to get through. Even Duke Nukem Zero Hour is around 30 hours. I am working on a few, when I get stuck on the one I switch over to the other. Then repeat the process.
On a side note, the Boba Fett fight on Shadows of the Empire is really pissing me off. The levels in that game are pretty fun, but I hate the boss fights.

Mar 06 at 10:06:47 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

There are a lot of lengthy games we have to get through. Even Duke Nukem Zero Hour is around 30 hours. I am working on a few, when I get stuck on the one I switch over to the other. Then repeat the process.
On a side note, the Boba Fett fight on Shadows of the Empire is really pissing me off. The levels in that game are pretty fun, but I hate the boss fights.

Oh yeah the boss fights in that are brutal at times. Man you and I are playing all the same games lol. You got some good taste!  

Mar 06 at 11:29:31 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan

Best advice I can give for the Fett man is save your high power weapons for him, such as the disruptor and seeker. Keep your jetpack on and move around the ground quickly and he won't be able to hit you. When you have a clear shot and he stops moving, spam him with the high power shots as much as possible until you start running out of health. At this point, fly up and gather the health and extra ammo if necessary and repeat the process.

If you still have enough health and strong shots left by the time Slave 1 appears, you can basically just tank the hits and spam the ship to death. However, if you are out of either ammo or health at this point, you'll probably have to duck behind the big walls encircling the fight arena and pick off shots. Changing your altitude and flying in circles around the arena can also help give you opportunities to pick off shots too.

I agree, the bosses in this game are pretty lame, but I have seen far worse, and a lot of N64 games don't even bother with bosses at all, so at least they tried!

Mar 07 at 6:01:46 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Finished Supercross 2000. Definitely some odd quirks to this game, though I did start to get pretty ok at the turning controls by the end.

Then I went back to The New Tetris. I like MeridianPrime's requirement of beating the CPU at all 3 competition modes. Collecting all however-many-hundreds-of-thousands of pieces feels more like a "100%" requirement. Because I don't want to do it.  

Mar 07 at 7:53:02 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Great job Splain! Although, I completely disapprove of you beating a game without 2000 in the title. Try harder mate!  

Mar 07 at 9:00:04 PM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
Which Supercross game is better, Jeremy McGrath or Supercross 2000? I have only ever played Jeremy McGrath.

Mar 07 at 11:13:24 PM
Splain (28)
< Lolo Lord >
Arizona
Lol I know, I'm going to try and stick with "every other" clear as a 2000 title. Meaning my next clear will be one, then I get another break  

As goofy as Jeremy McGrath is, it's the one I had more fun with. Plain Supercross has some interesting options you can mess with, like your max speed and the CPU's max speed, but the corners are awful. You have to practically stop your bike and slowly turn until you're facing the next section of the track, and then you can accelerate again. I thought I was missing something, but that's how all the CPUs do it too. The 180 hairpins feel like they take 45 minutes to get through. I started to figure out a couple tricks to get through them faster, but if you don't start the turn just right, then you have to do the full 45 minute turn. It tries to be more "real" than Jeremy McGrath, so maybe that's what it's really like to turn on one of those bikes??

Edit: And wow, that Tetris screenshot is misleading. I was on the left, but my name was in red. Makes it look like I lost that round.

Edited: 03/07/2019 at 11:15 PM by Splain

Mar 20 at 2:47:13 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
Still plucking away on Turok 1! Can't put as much time in as I'd like, due to work and life and whatever, but I'm almost done! I've also been a little distracted by Crimson Skies on OG Xbox, I am ashamed to admit, but it's great!

Mar 30 at 10:45:33 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
SPLAIN ALERT! Turok 1 is done! Finally got some spare time to finish it off, the final 2 levels are actually way harder than any that come before, but it's a pretty satisfying way to cap off the game.

Wow, looks like we really slowed down the pace a lot in March, huh?! I am thinking of taking on Indiana Jones as my next big game, although I may try to knock out a couple of smaller titles too along the way, if I can.

Apr 11 at 9:04:39 PM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana

Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue is done. A quick game, that would be fun for kids.
Lightspeed Rescue
Lightspeed Rescue credits

Edited: 04/11/2019 at 09:11 PM by themisfit138

Apr 11 at 10:22:17 PM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan

Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue is done. A quick game, that would be fun for kids.
Lightspeed Rescue
Lightspeed Rescue credits

Yeah, I did this one last year. Actually quite fun, although incredibly basic in terms of game design. It almost plays more like a flash game you'd play in a browser, with all the enemies just running in a straight line towards you with zero AI involvement or anything. Also, an attempt at multiple gameplay styles, but each one is about as basic and limited as can be. However, not a total travesty of a game, and the comic book style cutscenes ARE actually pretty nice to look at, so it does get something right!

Apr 11 at 10:45:43 PM
themisfit138 (12)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
The Zord battles were the worst part of the game, but I wouldn't call it bad. Least enjoyable is probably a better term. I enjoyed the game and it was only about a hour and a half to play through. I liked the walking around as the ranger levels the best, it was like a basic Baulders Gate Dark Alliance. The cut scenes were well done.

Apr 12 at 12:17:35 AM
OptOut (10)
Taiwan
The Zord battles are pretty awkward, maneuverability for both movement and aiming really sucks. The side-scrolling shooter levels where you are in the rescue vehicles are also really simply constructed, again feeling like something made in a 90's PC creation tool like game factory or flash. Although, I don't want to make it sound like I hate the game, cause it is really fun in a so-bad-it's-good sort of way. But it is a bad game, from a technical standpoint, imo. Like if you could imagine paying 60 bucks for this back on launch day? No thanks, lol! But, 20 years later for 10 bucks used, a very interesting experience and a good time to be had, played in the right mindset.

Also interesting to note that due to the side-scrolling shooter sections, technically this is one of the best 2D shooters on the N64! Because there's like only one other one, lol!