Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

I sure am glad the NES controllers are built so well. After tons of throws across the room and frustrated squeezing/bending, I finally did it!

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:11:43 PM
zombi (43)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
Woooo!

I believe this to be the hardest game I've ever completed.

No emulators, no save states....just a straight-up NES gauntlet.

The hardest games are always the most satisfying.

Edited: 08/02/2015 at 09:35 PM by zombi

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:17:57 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario
I still haven't beaten Dracula in that game but I should totally go back and try. I was able to beat Castlevania 1 with 0 deaths so I know I can do it.

Congrats man that game is a gem and a good accomplishment among the NES library.

-------------------------
Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:45:49 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Yeah, that game is an asshole. Congrats on beating it.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:56:04 PM
NESfiend (25)
(Travis ) < El Ripper >
Missouri
Congrats man - it is a very tough game, SO rewarding to beat. When I was going thoough it, I kept swearing to myself that, once I beat it, it was going back on the shelf for a VERY long time, if not forever. The end was so rewarding, I played something else for only like 15 minutes the next night and knew whatever game it was wouldn't provide the same satisfaction. I put Castlevania 3 right back in. Such a quality game.

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:02:27 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Hard to go wrong with most of the Konami silver box games.

Congrats on the win! It's definitely not an easy game to beat.

Edited: 08/02/2015 at 10:03 PM by gutsman004

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:04:19 PM
DarTHBalLs305 (4)
(Sean M) < Eggplant Wizard >
Florida
Nice dude! Yeah that game's a real pain, it took me forever to get though it

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:38:51 PM
Gentlegamer (15)
< El Ripper >
Texas
Congrats, you finished the best Castlevania game!

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:21:03 AM
Zwario (30)
(Carlos Monoz) < Meka Chicken >
California
Bravo Dude!!

Aug 3, 2015 at 2:11:40 AM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
Zombi for the win! That's a tough one no doubt. That one is under my belt but I still have yet to beat the first Castlevania.

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:33:47 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
One of my favorite NES games of all time! I just threw it in again last night for another run through. It's NOT an easy game, but it always keeps me coming back for more. I've completed it from start to finish about 7-8 times now without an emulator, and it's just as rewarding the eighth time as it was on the first. Congrats on your epic accomplishment, my friend!

Were you using Alucard for that last section before Dracula? How long do you think it took you to finally complete this game?

Edited: 08/03/2015 at 07:36 AM by NostalgicMachine

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:17:37 AM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Other
Congrats, I've still haven't managed to beat this one. I can tear up some Castlevaina 1 of course I play it consistently when given the chance, I play III when the notion strikes.

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:45:10 AM
laddersandcakes (58)
(Chris ) < Lolo Lord >
Virginia
Dude, kudos! Definitely an achievement. I've been beating my head against the first Castlevania on and off for the last few weeks. Urgh.

I see you had Sypha by your side? Now, to try it with Alucard or Grant, right? 

Edited: 08/03/2015 at 08:46 AM by laddersandcakes

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:22:28 AM
kaiser (13)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Ohio
Awesome, I've beaten the first a few times and have a few hard NES games under my belt... not this one yet. Makes me want to give it a go again

NES 647/767
My WTB Thread ==> http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&th...

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:44:12 AM
Ninty64X (1)
< El Ripper >
Illinois
Congrats! I still haven't beaten any of the original Castlevania trilogy yet, it's definitely a challenge!

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:44:12 AM
Ninty64X (1)
< El Ripper >
Illinois
Sorry, double posted on accident!

Edited: 08/03/2015 at 09:44 AM by Ninty64X

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:28:46 AM
Grumble,Grumble (1)
(Kylemeister 1983) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Hell yeah! Beating this game with Alucard was the easiest for me since you can transform into the bat, while Sypha's route was the toughest. Grant is somewhere in the middle, but he's my favorite by far. I've never done a Trevor only run through...Fighting the Doppelganger boss would be hard, since you can't morph between characters to delay the boss as a strategy.

Check out the ideoameullh!t Podcast
Season 1 Episodes: https://hagensalley.com/vgbs-podc...;
Season 2 Episodes: https://hagensalley.com/vgbs-podc...;
Season 3 Episodes: https://hagensalley.com/vgbs-podc...;
VGBS BioCom - Rotating Border
                                                               ▲
                                                            ▲   ▲

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:43:50 AM
Philosoraptor (52)
< King Solomon >
Texas
I thought you were gonna say you finally broke a controller.

Anyway, congrats!

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:38:56 PM
zombi (43)
< El Ripper >
Michigan
Originally posted by: NostalgicMachine

One of my favorite NES games of all time! I just threw it in again last night for another run through. It's NOT an easy game, but it always keeps me coming back for more. I've completed it from start to finish about 7-8 times now without an emulator, and it's just as rewarding the eighth time as it was on the first. Congrats on your epic accomplishment, my friend!

Were you using Alucard for that last section before Dracula? How long do you think it took you to finally complete this game?
I used Trevor and Sypha the whole game.

I think it took me a few weeks on and off. I would only play for 10-30 minute spurts. Plus, if I would get frustrated on a level, I would just stop and not come back to it for a few days.

Aug 4, 2015 at 5:58:50 AM
NostalgicMachine (8)
< Master Higgins >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: zombi

Originally posted by: NostalgicMachine

I used Trevor and Sypha the whole game.

I think it took me a few weeks on and off. I would only play for 10-30 minute spurts. Plus, if I would get frustrated on a level, I would just stop and not come back to it for a few days.

Excellent! That's a very solid strategy. It took me YEARS to be able to play the game for more than 30 minutes at a time. Now, I usually go for an hour or so until I get bored. I don't even take down my password most of the time unless I'm trying to complete it within the week or something. I just enjoy playing through, and getting as far as I can within an hour

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:50:33 AM
WolfAlmighty (3)
(Wolfgang Abenteuer) < Lolo Lord >
Washington
Good on you for finishing the game, mate!  It's definitely a tough one and a slog at that, but so worth it.  Love this game.

Originally posted by: Grumble,Grumble

Hell yeah! Beating this game with Alucard was the easiest for me since you can transform into the bat, while Sypha's route was the toughest. Grant is somewhere in the middle, but he's my favorite by far. I've never done a Trevor only run through...Fighting the Doppelganger boss would be hard, since you can't morph between characters to delay the boss as a strategy.

The Doppelganger is definitely the worst boss in the game and the one that took me forever to beat the first time, but to beat him with just Trevor you'll want the holy water.  There's only ONE holy water pickup in that whole stage, and it's during the falling castle section.  It's in a candle on the far right side of the screen that you have to jump up and over quickly to go get.  But it's simply the most effective way of dealing with him if you're using Trevor.  I'm sure that's why they made it so tough to get.

Aug 4, 2015 at 9:57:42 AM
Jandrem (6)
(Josh ) < Kraid Killer >
Ohio
Congrats! It's definitely a hard game, but it's the "good" kind of hard. The controls are solid, passwords are convenient, etc. It's not like tons of older NES games that were only really hard because they either had shotty controls, no password/save, no continue, etc. This game feels great start to finish, and remains one of my faves.

Also, I like how the ending changes slightly depending on who you beat it with. I've done some bead sprite canvas art based on this.
http://jandrem.deviantart.com/art...
http://jandrem.deviantart.com/art...

My FS/FO thread: http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:01:40 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Well done. I'm not super familiar with anything past the first level with this game, so I can certainly respect your task. Castlevania has always been a tough one for me.

I also love finishing an NES game front to back. It's the best way to do it. Straight up. One go.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Edited: 08/04/2015 at 10:02 AM by AirVillain

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:14:12 AM
Penguin (239)
(Justin AKA Penguin) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
Nice job, my favorite game in the NES Castlevania series, so great but so hard! I've only ever beaten it once.

Looking for Black cartridge Color Dreams games, last 3 I need:  Metal Fighter, Moon Ranger, Baby Boomer.  Please contact me if you have any of these!

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:28:32 AM
NESMASTER14 (26)
(color dreams) < King Solomon >
Virginia
Congrats man! Definitely an awesome achievement. I finally beat it last year on Halloween, such a good (but hard!) game.

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:35:50 AM
Grumble,Grumble (1)
(Kylemeister 1983) < Eggplant Wizard >
Illinois
Originally posted by: WolfAlmighty

Good on you for finishing the game, mate!  It's definitely a tough one and a slog at that, but so worth it.  Love this game.

Originally posted by: Grumble,Grumble

The Doppelganger is definitely the worst boss in the game and the one that took me forever to beat the first time, but to beat him with just Trevor you'll want the holy water.  There's only ONE holy water pickup in that whole stage, and it's during the falling castle section.  It's in a candle on the far right side of the screen that you have to jump up and over quickly to go get.  But it's simply the most effective way of dealing with him if you're using Trevor.  I'm sure that's why they made it so tough to get.
Big thanks for the tip! Might be about time to do a Trevor only run (Crazy how his name is Ralph in Japan). Making that Holy Water so tough to get has gotta be a dead giveaway for sure.

Check out the ideoameullh!t Podcast
Season 1 Episodes: https://hagensalley.com/vgbs-podc...;
Season 2 Episodes: https://hagensalley.com/vgbs-podc...;
Season 3 Episodes: https://hagensalley.com/vgbs-podc...;
VGBS BioCom - Rotating Border
                                                               ▲
                                                            ▲   ▲