Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Any suggestions for preventing back-dooring through ebay?

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:48:47 PM
Deal Donkey (103)
(Lady Bug) < Meka Chicken >
United States
I was up late last a few days ago and saw this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160782221670?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:I...
Needless to say I bought the thing and I was jamming my fingers trying to get through the immediate payment screens.

15 minutes later I get a message saying how he cant go through with the transaction because the fund wouldnt clear and he didnt have any money to buy shipping so he wanted to cancel the transaction.

10 minutes after that I see this in completed listings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-EarthBound-Complete-Box-Set-...
I would have paid that price for it too! I think someone messaged him and offered him more for it. I dont resort to those tactics. Is there something I can do? Talk to ebay? Anyone have experiance preventing back door sales?

-------------------------
Follow me on Twitter to see underpriced video games

or PM your want list

Edited: 04/14/2012 at 08:49 PM by Deal Donkey

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:51:13 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
I have had stuff like that happen before ill I found to do is give the seller a negative

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:55:23 PM
Laserman (179)

(Joe ) < Bowser >
Oklahoma
If you paid for the item and then someone offers more and causes the seller to back out on the transaction, that is pretty shitty on both of them. It is a sad but true fact that this happens more than we like to admit. About all you can do is leave the seller a negative and move on. If you were for sure of the eBay user's ID that screwed you, you could send one of us Mods a PM or give Mark a nomination for the HOS if they are a member here. It is one thing to ask for a BIN while the item is listed but it is a completely different thing to backdoor a completed sale.

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:17:07 PM
SNESfinder- (87)
(Stelio Kontos) < Lolo Lord >
Massachusetts
yea, see who won the auction and if they are a member here, shame on them..

i saw the listing too very shortly after it listed ( the 60$ ), you were very quick to grab that! you'll get a great deal soon enough. patience is a virtue.

BUYING/TRADING for mint snes boxes, CIB, and sealed, commons to rares and everything inbetween. will pay retail for items I need. ebay- http://www.ebay.com/sch/are-es-t/m.html?item=120930427271&pt...

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:23:59 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec
eBay should display actual usernames in bid history. They're only helping these assholes to remain anonymous.

If I were you, I would make my possible to find out who bought the game under the table. You have their feedback number and you know they're currently bidding on 60+ items. Maybe you can call eBay but I doubt they will divulge any information that technically shouldn't be available to you.

Edited: 04/14/2012 at 09:39 PM by guillavoie

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:51:38 PM
rarebucky (178)

(Adam Buchwald) < Ridley Wrangler >
United States
Just keep watching their feedback to see if any is left, though the backdoorer is proabably unlikely to leave any. Unfortunately this happens to most of us a lot. And with a steal like you got on that, it was going to be hard to have it go through.

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:53:13 PM
antofarabia (106)
(Papa Smurf) < Kraid Killer >
Georgia
i feel as the legend of being backdoored, it is my NES duty to respond ... don't let it get to you ... just search for another great deal and forget about it ... when you think about it, it never would have been yours anyway because the seller and other buyer would do this anyway regardless, so just try not to let it get to you and go on ... it's only a game, even if it's super rare and desirable once in a lifetime find

They call me big Papa ....

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:59:06 PM
Deal Donkey (103)
United States
Originally posted by: antofarabia

i feel as the legend of being backdoored, it is my NES duty to respond ... don't let it get to you ... just search for another great deal and forget about it ... when you think about it, it never would have been yours anyway because the seller and other buyer would do this anyway regardless, so just try not to let it get to you and go on ... it's only a game, even if it's super rare and desirable once in a lifetime find

Whad u get screwed over on?

or PM your want list

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:22:13 PM
Fantomex (216)
(Chris Z) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
It is a shitty situation. Ive been back doored myself and its no good, I understand your frustration. But at the same time you cant assume its a back door. Who's to say the seller didn't catch on to the value of the item after you bought it and then just relisted it.

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:27:17 PM
theguy1962 (193)
(Hernan Alonso or "Zo") < Kraid Killer >
California
Originally posted by: Fantomex

It is a shitty situation. Ive been back doored myself and its no good, I understand your frustration. But at the same time you cant assume its a back door. Who's to say the seller didn't catch on to the value of the item after you bought it and then just relisted it.

It's still shitty for the seller to do.  I lost out on at least $300 because I didn't know what I had, but I still let it go through and I sent out the item.

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:28:24 PM
Danger moose (23)
(Christopher ) < Meka Chicken >
Pennsylvania
So... could you offer him more on a different account and report the reply to ebay? Or is this "lowering yourself"

Shut the f*** up and just play games

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:28:33 PM
antofarabia (106)
(Papa Smurf) < Kraid Killer >
Georgia
Originally posted by: Anniemay83

Stadium Events Complete

They call me big Papa ....

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:40:48 PM
guillavoie (125)
(Der Graue Kasten) < Master Higgins >
Quebec

Stadium Events Complete

BOOM!!!

Man those were the good old days...

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:10:54 AM
Deal Donkey (103)
United States

Stadium Events Complete

yeah Iv been ebay backdoored 4 times just this month. Lost out on a sealed megaman 1 for $300 last month 

or PM your want list

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:44:46 AM
sixthousand (133)
(Jan Leedy) < Meka Chicken >
United States
when money is involved people will do anything to get paper

Current games- Genesis- Shining Force 2- NO promotion All Granseal Toons challenge
                              Snes- Final Fantasy 2- Starting Weapons challenge
                              Nes- Dragon Warrior 3- Solo Hero Challenge
                              Ps1- Final Fantasy VIII- No Draw Challenge
                              Ps2- Final Fantasy X- No Sphere Grid Challenge

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:28:49 AM
Fantomex (216)
(Chris Z) < Ridley Wrangler >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: sixthousand

when money is involved people will do anything to get paper

This

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:24:06 AM
jonebone (554)
(Collector Extraordinaire) < Luigi >
Maryland
I've noticed a lot of this lately. I've actually been pretty fortunate, I've hardly ever been backdoored. But recently, everytime I win a damn auction and pay, the seller sends me a message like "If you change your mind or anything, let me know, I had people message me to buy the item if the winning bidder backed out."

It is fucking pathetic, excuse my language. It's hard enough to get deals these days with all the collectors, and it will be next to impossible if there's a bunch of sleezy assholes that can't play fair. Sadly, money is everything to some people, and I would love for these guys to get a dose of reality. Money (and a big collection) doesn't buy happiness.

WTB CIB MINT Games: NES - SNES - N64 - Sega Genesis - Turbografx 16
Last Beat: West of Loathing (Switch)
Now Playing: Overcooked 2 (Switch) / Spider-Man (PS4)
My eBay 10% off on NintendoAge! 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/jonebone...=

Edited: 04/15/2012 at 11:24 AM by jonebone

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:44:13 AM
Deal Donkey (103)
United States
Originally posted by: jonebone

I've noticed a lot of this lately. I've actually been pretty fortunate, I've hardly ever been backdoored. But recently, everytime I win a damn auction and pay, the seller sends me a message like "If you change your mind or anything, let me know, I had people message me to buy the item if the winning bidder backed out."

It is fucking pathetic, excuse my language. It's hard enough to get deals these days with all the collectors, and it will be next to impossible if there's a bunch of sleezy assholes that can't play fair. Sadly, money is everything to some people, and I would love for these guys to get a dose of reality. Money (and a big collection) doesn't buy happiness.

Are there specific rules about backdooring or is it just a politeness issue?

or PM your want list

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:09:22 PM
ClaytonBigsby (26)
(Ryan Whitney) < Kraid Killer >
Ontario
it is essentially a breach of contract when someone offers an item, you win it, you pay for it, they are supposed to ship it. If they back out, then they have broken the contract.

the equivalent to 1000 words or it never happened!!!!!

Apr 15, 2012 at 1:15:02 PM
Deal Donkey (103)
United States
Originally posted by: ClaytonBigsby

it is essentially a breach of contract when someone offers an item, you win it, you pay for it, they are supposed to ship it. If they back out, then they have broken the contract
Definately. Is there any action I can take? Its not a big deal for 200 stuff but it get annoying in the thousand dollar ranges.

or PM your want list

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:08:56 PM
cheeseforalgernon (1)
(Dave L) < Cherub >
Illinois
You could file suit against the seller in their home state.  You'd probably have to subpoena eBay for their information, but you would have a strong case.  By listing an auction with a 'buy it now' pricing option, the seller created a unilateral contract, which you entered into by purchasing the item.  By reselling it to another buyer on a later date, the seller violated your contract and would be liable for the cost of replacing the item.

Just depends on whether it's worth it to you.  It's a lot of work for little payout.

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:15:15 PM
themotherbrain (93)
(> ROB <) < King Solomon >
New York
^That gets said in every thread I've ever seen about this and I've yet to see anybody actually go to court. Just suck it up and move on as Ant said. There's nothing you can do when somebody acts this way, but leave a negative feedback or report them to ebay and possibly get their account suspended (which generally doesn't happen either). Maybe typin' a little harder with your keyboard, drink in hand will help... Not hatin' just statin'.

No Ninja Rap = No Thanks. 

Check out my FS thread here -
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:58:43 AM
War Pig (185)
(Hellooooooooooooooo Midwest. Oh how I've missed u) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
Looks like the backdoor-er was user: ropupela

-Eric

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:09:18 AM
Malucifer (7)

(James Magee Jr) < Crack Trooper >
United States
The eBay ID seems to be ropupela that won the auction the second time.

Open For Offer FS Thread - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

WTB/WTTF - Crappy ass disc only copies of Brigandine and Ehrgeiz so that I can play them to my heart is content. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:09:35 AM
Malucifer (7)

(James Magee Jr) < Crack Trooper >
United States
Ahhh beaten!

Open For Offer FS Thread - http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

WTB/WTTF - Crappy ass disc only copies of Brigandine and Ehrgeiz so that I can play them to my heart is content.