Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

VRC6 Accuracy Comparison

Dec 19, 2017 at 11:24:57 PM
AllisonChan (0)

< Cherub >

So I recently picked up a Sharp Twin Famicom while I was in glorious Nippon as well as a bunch of games, one of which being the J version of Castlevania 3. I've been comparing with Nestopia for accuracy to determine the difference (if one exists) between emulation of VRC6 and hardware use of it and have done the following:

- Tested on the same TV with the same volume levels
- Emulation is being done on a PC with HDMI
- Famicom is outputting composite with a legit cart, no flash cart business
- Using the regular version of Nestopia, no Retroarch or whatnot involved

Now my findings are as follows:

- Nestopia seems to play VRC6 loudly compared to hardware

- In Nestopia, the "umph" or more bassy noises seem to be much more subtle to the point that they almost seem missing. It's like someone turned the dial all the way to treble

Now here is the question.. What difference if any does this really make for one? For all intents and purposes, both sound great, but I'm honestly just curious at this point for science, so whatever. The main question is whether or not my testing is truly valid? I do have a CRT and a PC with a video card in which I can do composite and such to replicate the cable if I should do that, but is composite really that bad if that is the source of the difference? At that point it's almost up to debate what the "intended" experience is regarding the chip. Obviously they expected audiences to have composite at *best* at the time, but perhaps the machines they developed on sounded far better? This is really all up to speculation, just a topic I find interesting.

Anyways, if you actually read up to here, cool and thanks.

Dec 20, 2017 at 2:43:18 AM
roadkill (1)
(Road Kill) < Eggplant Wizard >
Pennsylvania
My guess is their intended audience was owners of the original Famicom, since I hear most people say the original Famicom plays VRC6 best. Me personally, I have no problem with both the Hi-Def NES' emulation of VRC6 on HDTVs and the EverDrive N8's emulation of it coupled with an ENIO board on my Front Loader's EXP. slot when I play it on an old CRT

-------------------------
I edit my messages far too many times because of my OCD. So be on the lookout for that