Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Cutting Down on B/S/T Drivel & Threadshitting There's a slim chance this was discussed before...

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:02:01 PM
GhaleonsDeadMyFriend (137)
(Ghaleon's Dead My Friend) < El Ripper >
United States
Kind of a purist: I feel like NA users should not be posting in a Buy/Sell/Trade thread unless they're asking the OP a question about their item, posting to say they've sent a private message, or posting to say they've paid for the item/sold an item to the OP/traded with the OP.  I can look at our really fantastic online commerce subforum and pull up any thread at random, and inside of it there are conversations about item rarity, arguments about pricing, jokes flying around that most people don't even understand, and worst of all...threadshitting.

Then there are the replies along the lines of "I only need the box LOL".  I mean, really, do you need to tell the world that?  PM the guy selling the item and ask him to sell it to you piecemeal and move on.  Additionally, I feel it's a nice gesture for mods to say "nice price on the X I hope it sells" but there are some users who will come along and take that as a green light to post a reply like "nice looking manual but the crease in the corner ruins it for me".  Vaguely-masked threadshitting can be stopped altogether by going back to my first paragraph and adopting a "don't post if you're not directly working with the OP on a sale, purchase, or trade."  Mods are obviously the exception, I feel like it would be a non-issue for them to promote a bargain-priced item with friendly reply.

This approach is obviously going to require some heavy moderation and some community awareness, but I think it'll help give threads their fair time on the 1st page as well as cut down on passive-aggressive threadshitting disguised as praise, which I see in a lot of threads.  It probably has been a problem long before I joined and may never really get resolved, but I thought I'd toss out some suggestions. 

Have a nice day everyone.

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:08:38 PM
Laserman (179)

(Joe ) < Bowser >
Oklahoma
You have some valid points and in a perfect world they would work out just fine. We don't live in a perfect world so we all need to be reminded once in a while about doing these things, including me. You have to admit this train wreck was some hilarious shit though...
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

-------------------------

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:21:05 PM
That Old Au Guy (5)

(Anton U) < Meka Chicken >
Manitoba
That train wreck was the most awesome shit that was ever posted in this forum.

Let us sticky it and never make mention of it again. (jk)

Sep 22, 2011 at 5:42:52 PM
NintendoNinja (115)
(Nintendo Ninja) < Meka Chicken >
United States
The "problem" is this site is a lot bigger than it was two years ago when I joined...there is bound to be more bs talk with more people on the site...

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:02:22 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
I think the important thing to keep in mind is that this is a messageboard. It exists for the exchange of information. I don't think there is anything wrong with relevant discussion about items on the block. There are a lot more drive by comments about condition and whatever that server no purpose, and it would be nice to clean that up. I would also venture to say that's a symptom of some newer users who post often throughout the forums with little to contribute.

I would agree that some of the threadcrapping needs to be cleaned up, but there have been a couple threads recently where I think it was warranted. The pedro thread had a lot of this, and most of it was cleaned up, but I consider some of those posts to be fair warning to anyone considering doing business. The one about the Rescue Rangers 2 (or Duck Tales 2) was another one where OP came in claiming some way out there numbers as baselines for his pricing. I think he deserved to be called out there.

This is kind of a tangent, but I would like it if there were some way to clean up old no longer relevant posts withing a BST thread. They get confusing with questions about items sold 2 years ago or 15 bumps.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:05:13 PM
RetroBasement (142)
(I read PM's !) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Originally posted by: laserman81

You have some valid points and in a perfect world they would work out just fine. We don't live in a perfect world so we all need to be reminded once in a while about doing these things, including me. You have to admit this train wreck was some hilarious shit though...
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...

i still cant believe what was said, like if people didnt believe you before....

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:06:58 PM
Laserman (179)

(Joe ) < Bowser >
Oklahoma
Originally posted by: RetroBasement

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...

i still cant believe what was said, like if people didnt believe you before....

Hey quit shitting on this thread, you can only post positive comments and ideas about how to improve the community!!!          

Edited: 09/22/2011 at 06:09 PM by Laserman

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:20:26 PM
RetroBasement (142)
(I read PM's !) < King Solomon >
Ohio
What? lol. Ya i think its just so many new people. I mean i thread shitted i think prob back when i joined cause iv never really done forums before so i had no etiquette. I think the best thing to do is just politely tell people not to thread crap and generally it doesnt happen again.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:24:49 PM
p33jay (55)
(Allen (PJ) The Awesome) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
I love the idea of cleaning up bst threads and love the idea of removing older no longer relevant posts. Just my 2 cents.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:33:54 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
I understand what you are saying, but we are not trying to OVER moderate the forums. Cleaning up sales threads that have lots of posts is a good idea, but very time consuming. Also while deleting "pm sent" may be helpful any relevant post is worth keeping to look back at.

Thread crapping in the sense of arguing prices is something totally different and will not be tolerated. If something is priced too high it just won't sell. If something is priced to low the opp will find his inbox full. Unless it is a price check thread the seller is responsible for pricing his item.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:52:56 PM
Luke00016 (32)
(Luke Elser) < Meka Chicken >
West Virginia
To OP:

From a purist perspective you have some good points.

That said, I don't think this is really an issue unless people are unable to use the B/S/T area for those purposes. I've never seen (although I've only been here a while) a legitimate thread in that section get clogged down and unable to hook the OP up with whatever they were trying to do.

Plus, I think that kind of additional info/discussion can actually improve a community like this, as long as it doesn't get to the point that it prevents people from buying/selling/trading.

I can see how it would bother individuals (maybe you, maybe not?). Maybe people making threads in B/S/T can ask people not to clog up their threads with random stuff. That would be a fair request, especially for people with lots to buy or sell who don't want everything getting clogged up.  Then if it gets to be a hassle in that individual's thread they can contact a mod as necessary.

Edit:  Added last sentence to last paragraph.

Building a CIB NES collection.  Currently at 109 CIB!  PM me with CIBs you have for sale!

Check out my FS/WTB thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Edited: 09/22/2011 at 06:53 PM by Luke00016

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:14:49 PM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California
Originally posted by: pats1717

I understand what you are saying, but we are not trying to OVER moderate the forums. Cleaning up sales threads that have lots of posts is a good idea, but very time consuming. Also while deleting "pm sent" may be helpful any relevant post is worth keeping to look back at.

Thread crapping in the sense of arguing prices is something totally different and will not be tolerated. If something is priced too high it just won't sell. If something is priced to low the opp will find his inbox full. Unless it is a price check thread the seller is responsible for pricing his item.

I realize cleanup would be too much work for the mods. I was imagining a situation where thread authors could clean up their own threads. Maybe instead of outright deleting posts, the OP could flag posts as obsolete/outdated and those posts would be collapsed by default when someone opens the thread. That way no information is lost, but it's not in the way when trying to see what's new. 

I've never seen anything like this implemented but I think it would work well. Anybody who abuses it is just going to discourage people from posting in their threads.

I'd be happy to pitch in with the javascript for the collapse/expand posts if Dain wants to implement the feature.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:25:11 PM
RASK1904 (196)
(Roger D.) < Ridley Wrangler >
Nebraska
Or a poop icon. Like the tea bag and purple gannon. Then we could all add poop to our posts.

My ebay   http://shop.ebay.com/rask1904/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562                                                                                                                     ................................My fs thread....
http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&...    

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:37:54 PM
elhector (80)
(Hector Varga) < Lolo Lord >
Arizona

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=...

Did he get banned this time around?  I hope not, I enjoy him coming around every now and then making himself look like a nut sack.

Check out my YouTube Channel

Social Media Junk:

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Come check out what I have for sale.

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:20:20 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
Wow, I missed that whole pedro thing. Oh well, it's over with now. He's probably lost more business from people here avoiding him than he tried to keep for the item, I don't know why he wouldn't just do the right damn thing.

I wish it was more allowed to post and just point out stuff that's kinda high prices, mainly with new guys trying to get eBay prices. Although some consider that shitting, it's more of a reality check IMO.

Edited: 09/22/2011 at 08:21 PM by removed04092017

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:27:19 PM
pats1717 (894)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Originally posted by: 3GenGames

I wish it was more allowed to post and just point out stuff that's kinda high prices, mainly with new guys trying to get eBay prices. Although some consider that shitting, it's more of a reality check IMO.
Look like you are an expert on the subject of buying and selling

Anyhow like I said earlier if it is priced too high it won't sell. People can ask whatever they want for there items. It is up to the buyer and seller to come to an agreement

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:30:27 PM
United States

Why would anyone feel the need to do this? The issue is resolved by posting absolutely nothing in the OP's thread.  They'll get the hint that their price is too high (or there is no interest) and the thread dies.  Simple.

Calling someone out on a price that you don't agree with can spark mob-mentality gang-ups, and really, you might feel good about it but will that person want to come back here?  Moral superiority at the expense of the sense of community, kind of an uneven trade if you ask me.

Easy enough to let the guy realize he isn't going to sell it for a high price, and if he does, then kudos to him.  This isn't Price Guide Thunderdome: diverge from the current market price and pay with your life!

edit: there != there

Edited: 09/22/2011 at 08:43 PM by GhaleonsDeadMyFriend

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:39:54 PM
United States
Originally posted by: pats1717

I can imagine that the fodder is a headache to clean up, even with a team of people up at all hours.  Definitely something I can appreciate.  And keeping relevent posts is good, but there should be a line.  If a user replies "hey i have that game but it's the gold version ftw" well, I don't think anyone can argue it's not related to the OP.  But does it add to the discussion?  Nope.  It may as well not even exist. 

In any case, it's not a huge problem but there are variants of that quote that pop up daily in B/S/T.  It would be nice to stem that kind of input at the user level.  Unfortunately, chances are good the percentage of new users that read the FAQ are in the single digits.

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:41:44 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota
Honestly I find the "pm sent" replies to be excessive. I can understand a friendly bump if the thread had dropped down a ways, but multiple "pm sent" replies in a row in a new thread seem unnecessary to me. They get especially bad when they OP thinks they need to post "pm replied" to them. Great, no one else cares.

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:46:08 PM
United States
Originally posted by: B.A.

Honestly I find the "pm sent" replies to be excessive. I can understand a friendly bump if the thread had dropped down a ways, but multiple "pm sent" replies in a row in a new thread seem unnecessary to me. They get especially bad when they OP thinks they need to post "pm replied" to them. Great, no one else cares.

I wouldn't shed a tear if I never saw another "PM sent" again. There's a reason that the message indicator lights up in RED when someone's trying to get in touch with you.

Sep 22, 2011 at 8:53:58 PM
United States
And I apologize if my posts sound increasingly bitter. I'm actually not injecting any jocularity into my replies so I probably sound a bit soulless. Carry on, folks.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:01:15 PM
removed04092017 (0)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< Bowser >
Other
It was just a suggestion. And yeah I don't do buying/selling online, but doesn't everyone's opinions matter? It was just an idea, guess you're right. PM's would work too to let them they may be a little high.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:04:01 PM
uiengineer (220)
(jeff .) < King Solomon >
Illinois
i generally post "PM sent" when it is a newer member who may or may not know how to work the PM system. (I know the system isn't hard, but you just never know).

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:11:36 PM
United States

It was just a suggestion. And yeah I don't do buying/selling online, but doesn't everyone's opinions matter?

Certainly! Calling folks out on high prices is just not something I would do, and it appears to be frowned upon by the mod squad.

Sep 22, 2011 at 9:17:08 PM
vern77777 (35)
(8==o------ (.)(.)) < Kraid Killer >
Illinois

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&thr...

Best thread ever! I love watching people completely unravel. 

Looking for test carts...