Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

My thoughts on the new 150-in-1 NES multicart... The best multicart ever made, with minor issues...

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:44:34 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

Originally posted by: nusilver

Why not get a Famicom version of Samson? Mine cost about $60 a few years ago...oh, wait... I see. They're going for $200 now. GAH.

Yeah I started looking at them when they were around 100 but didn't have the money to spare. Once I saved up they were up to 140+ and I was hesitant to spend that much. Now at 200, no thanks. Edit: I did get a Famicom panic restaurant for about 60 though. I'm happy to have that
Bonk's Adventure and Panic Restaurant both crossed my path at some point and I eventually resold both and replaced them with the Famicom versions. FC Gengin (Bonk) was $30 and Panic Restaurant was $60 I believe. They've likely gone up in price since.

= = = = = = = =

And yes, I am perfectly aware that the new multicarts are technically illegal, but please bear in mind these are not single game counterfeit game carts masquerading as vintage period releases. Neither are the reproductions and hacks many NA members peddle in these very forums technically legal either. I got one for myself and one for a friend whom I got into retro collecting. He has a Retrobit clone I gave him and given the scarcity of actual games and the prices stores charge when they do come up for sale, an XX-in-1 is perfect for the novice collector. I spent a few hours with the cart last night and thought I'd do a write up that covered a few aspects not discussed by the Youtube guys. I also think there's value in a text based review. If moderators have a problem with the thread, they can lock it if need be, but there's no reason to get up in arms over it. I have never purchased a single game pirate of a legit release and never will. Single game fakes are a whole other topic and the collector's community will have to deal with them as there is no sign of it slowing down.

-------------------------
~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Edited: 01/12/2016 at 06:05 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:59:42 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: barrelsAndRivets

Do you have any additional observations or images about the menu? I've had some 100+-in-1's before, and what either made me sell them or never play them was that the navigation in the menu was garbage. Even a primitive UI can be done well. If you have 100+ games, navigating through the list shouldn't be a feat in itself.
Yes, I added two screenshots to the first post. I haven't seen the title screen (that appears before the menu) posted on any of the reviews currently online. On the lefthand side of the menu is a preview screenshot of the selected game. First it displays the splash screen. Press any button to access the selection menu. Up, Down to select title. Left, Right to change page. A to skip forward five pages (50 titles). B to skip backward five pages. START to start the selected game.

Apparently the company is "Shenzhen SpriteMind Software Co., Ltd." and the cart has an internal build date of 2015-03-18, so this multicart is a very recent development, brand new release in 2015.

Edited: 01/12/2016 at 06:04 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:16:20 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: Daria

Originally posted by: AirVillain

Am I allowed to thread crap on these amazing new multi carts??? I mean, they're 100% illegal, are they not?

God... flashdrives and emulators were bad enough.... I guess I just never understood why someone would want a rip off copy of anything.

I might NEVER play Samson, I've accepted it. Why people feel the need to buy these multi-carts is beyond me. Nor would I want hack versions of the games to play. I just don't understand these.

To play, save money, shelf space, etc. 

I play emulators all the time because it's more convient than setting up a system or being tethered to a tv.
Yes, exactly. Emulators. New 150-in-1 multicarts are unnecessary. Thank you.

Not my style, but emulators/flash carts are a lot better than the slippery slope that is reproduction games.

I saw the cart on alipress a few months ago, was briefly tempted by the price tag and the sexy red plastic. But then I pretty much remembered why I don't need a multi-cart. For me it's either a real game or nothing (and by nothing I mean a rom downloaded and freely enjoyed for no expense out of pocket). But I see this cart as a viable purchase for the everdrive crowd who can't afford to spend $100 or whatever. I don't think cheap multi-carts are any threat to the hobby either. Just another weird oddity for people to get giddy over.
Nope... just one step away from a reproduction Bonk.

Reproduction carts are bad. These make it worse. It's simple.

That's one pretty big step that crosses right over the line from harmless novelty purchase to scummy bootleg. Not sure how they make it any *worse*.

I just mean, things are quickly disintegrating from "no reproduction" carts, to 150-in-1 being okay....

Well, it goes from 150 games on one cart, to The Mega Man series, to Bonk's Adventure.

Like I said, these multi-carts start the slippery slope to individual reproduction carts. The "harmless novelty purchase" is made using exactly the same means, which is the issue.
Originally posted by: Faxanadude

Am I allowed to thread crap on these amazing new multi carts??? I mean, they're 100% illegal, are they not?

God... flashdrives and emulators were bad enough.... I guess I just never understood why someone would want a rip off copy of anything.

I might NEVER play Samson, I've accepted it. Why people feel the need to buy these multi-carts is beyond me. Nor would I want hack versions of the games to play. I just don't understand these.

To play, save money, shelf space, etc. 

I play emulators all the time because it's more convient than setting up a system or being tethered to a tv.
Yes, exactly. Emulators. New 150-in-1 multicarts are unnecessary. Thank you.

Not my style, but emulators/flash carts are a lot better than the slippery slope that is reproduction games.
Couldn't agree more. There is literally nothing positive about these.
I agree with your agreement. Haha...

But really, I don't get why people are okay with these. Get a dang emulator for free if you want to play the game that bad.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:18:58 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
(Kyle aka Zombieguygeezus ) < Master Higgins >
Pennsylvania
Long live the Multi carts! I was tempted to buy this when I saw it on Aliexpress. Im glad someone did. Great write up AJ

And by the way guys, these old games are COLLECTORS ITEMS made to be left within their sleeves! Ghawl. Who the hell plays such expensive pieces of equipment. Flash carts serve as a method to PERSERVE these precious gems so that the games could remain SAFE.

Now excuse me while I load up every GB/C game ever and keep my COLLECTIBLE carts SAFE and SECURE like an adult. Sheesh.

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:19:45 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: stardust4ever

Originally posted by: BertBerryCrunch

Originally posted by: nusilver

Why not get a Famicom version of Samson? Mine cost about $60 a few years ago...oh, wait... I see. They're going for $200 now. GAH.

Yeah I started looking at them when they were around 100 but didn't have the money to spare. Once I saved up they were up to 140+ and I was hesitant to spend that much. Now at 200, no thanks. Edit: I did get a Famicom panic restaurant for about 60 though. I'm happy to have that
Bonk's Adventure and Panic Restaurant both crossed my path at some point and I eventually resold both and replaced them with the Famicom versions. FC Gengin (Bonk) was $30 and Panic Restaurant was $60 I believe. They've likely gone up in price since.

= = = = = = = =

And yes, I am perfectly aware that the new multicarts are technically illegal, but please bear in mind these are not single game counterfeit game carts masquerading as vintage period releases. Neither are the reproductions and hacks many NA members peddle in these very forums technically legal either. I got one for myself and one for a friend whom I got into retro collecting. He has a Retrobit clone I gave him and given the scarcity of actual games and the prices stores charge when they do come up for sale, an XX-in-1 is perfect for the novice collector. I spent a few hours with the cart last night and thought I'd do a write up that covered a few aspects not discussed by the Youtube guys. I also think there's value in a text based review. If moderators have a problem with the thread, they can lock it if need be, but there's no reason to get up in arms over it. I have never purchased a single game pirate of a legit release and never will. Single game fakes are a whole other topic and the collector's community will have to deal with them as there is no sign of it slowing down.
Not villifying anyone or "getting up in arms" from my end. I'm just telling you how I feel.

I think this is the problem. Single fakes are NOT a whole other topic. They're made the same way, using the same techniques and technology. It's one sticker/shell away from being a perfect reproduction, that they also sell on aliexpress.

Your text based review is valid... as is anyone's critique of the product reviewed.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:22:24 PM
serge85 (4)

(sergio osorio) < Little Mac >
Colombia
To the question of why some people buy this multicart (or any multicart or flashcard) instead of using an Emulator, I would say that is not hard to understand really, some people *really* like to play games on original hardware.

Edited: 01/12/2016 at 06:25 PM by serge85

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:38:32 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: RegularGuyGamer

Long live the Multi carts! I was tempted to buy this when I saw it on Aliexpress. Im glad someone did. Great write up AJ

And by the way guys, these old games are COLLECTORS ITEMS made to be left within their sleeves! Ghawl. Who the hell plays such expensive pieces of equipment. Flash carts serve as a method to PERSERVE these precious gems so that the games could remain SAFE.

Now excuse me while I load up every GB/C game ever and keep my COLLECTIBLE carts SAFE and SECURE like an adult. Sheesh.
Thanks RGG. I'm kind of aware that these are likely coming from the same shady places as the single cart repros, but also remember we vote with our dollars. Buy the multicart and don't buy the single game boots, and they will stop selling the single game boots if nobody buys them.

Apples to oranges, but I don't see the big threat in the multicart thing. Any collector or resale shop will take one look and know it's a bootleg cart. That isn't the case with repros of period releases, and opening up the game with a security bit for examination to see whether or not it's legit is not something your average novice collector or store employee can do.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:19:44 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: stardust4ever

Thanks RGG. I'm kind of aware that these are likely coming from the same shady places as the single cart repros, but also remember we vote with our dollars. Buy the multicart and don't buy the single game boots, and they will stop selling the single game boots if nobody buys them.

Apples to oranges, but I don't see the big threat in the multicart thing. Any collector or resale shop will take one look and know it's a bootleg cart. That isn't the case with repros of period releases, and opening up the game with a security bit for examination to see whether or not it's legit is not something your average novice collector or store employee can do.

Good point. Yeah, I like multicarts because they are kind of a throw back to the days before the almighty flash carts. I have a couple SuperVision multicarts I found in the wild along my travels and I've always loved em. Just had to disable the lockout chip in my toaster

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:03:45 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
I was going to buy these the other day. The PCB intrigued me

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:07:50 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

I was going to buy these the other day. The PCB intrigued me
Do you think it would be possible to dump this massive pirate mapper using a CopyNES? Prolly take all day long, but it would be a pretty amazing feat.

I think dumping a working ROM of just the menu would be pretty cool. Since it's an MMC3 multicart, I might start there. The menu (with all it's preview graphic tiles of every single game title) may just be game zero on the boot ROM...

Edited: 01/12/2016 at 10:11 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:33:54 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Neato. I did a reverse image search on Google for the title screen image I took earlier today and found one near match.

My screenshot:

Their screenshot:
http://s2.ifotos.pl/img/1003582JP_shnawaq.jpg

Apparently there is another review for the Famicom variant of this multicart, which had a Sonic mascot instead of Mario. Same date stamp ironically.

Interesting. Full thread (not English):
http://forum.pegasus-gry.com/inde...

Edited: 01/12/2016 at 10:38 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:45:40 AM
Jerbilly (62)
(Jeremy ) < Master Higgins >
Michigan
Did Ivan Brunetti draw that?

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:57:56 AM
kazuo (11)
(Joe Momma) < Crack Trooper >
California

I guess I shouldn't mention that repro Bonk carts cost $18 shipped from China.

Jan 13, 2016 at 9:04:15 AM
Thunderblaze16 (76)
(Piero ) < King Solomon >
Florida
Originally posted by: serge85

Originally posted by: Cheese_fries91

I need this! Anyone have the link to buy it?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-150-In-1-Rockman-...

There you go! , great multicart, I won't buy it because I have an Everdrive.

DAMN, I don't collect multi carts but that is a pretty good deal. You'd have to be pretty new to the hobby or not know how to use a computer for a quick search to ever mistake this as a legit game.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***

Edited: 01/13/2016 at 09:05 AM by Thunderblaze16

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:05:59 AM
BreaKBeatZ (59)
< Lolo Lord >
District of Columbia
I've been friends with a local store owner for 20 years, and when Xbox first came out he sold them for $800 pre-loaded with over 3,000 games. They had games from every system up to Dreamcast (I remember playing Marvel vs. Capcom on it), with nearly full libraries of NES and SNES + plenty of Famicom. Of course this was very illegal and he actually ended up going to jail for 6 months. His store stayed open though, and he's still in business doing very well.

If you live in the U.S., be careful what you sell, but if you're in China, go nuts

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:25:01 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: kazuo

Exactly.

Hooray for the collecting community!!

Just give it a few years... The threads will be "I just bought this box of games with 4 Bonk's!!"

There will be Finders Keepers threads, FS threads, and all sorts of people asking whether their cart is legit.

I'm sure the Facebook groups are going to be praising them soon enough.

Multi-reprodcution carts made by the same people should be treated the same as single game carts.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Jan 13, 2016 at 11:39:22 AM
rcorporon (34)
(Ron Corporon) < Lolo Lord >
Ontario
The doom and gloom in this thread is silly.

I switched to an everdrive last year and am glad I did. I wanted to play Little Samson on original hardware and this let me do it.

This isn't going to "ruin our hobby". People need to dial it back a bit.

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:29:12 PM
RegularGuyGamer (110)
Pennsylvania

Exactly.

Just give it a few years... The threads will be "I just bought this box of games with 4 Bonk's!!"

There will be Finders Keepers threads, FS threads, and all sorts of people asking whether their cart is legit.

Multi-reprodcution carts made by the same people should be treated the same as single game carts.

No way dude. That's like selling an exact replica of an album or selling a mix tape you made for your gf. And at this point, you're thread crapping a well written and thought out post. Idk if anything you posted in this thread was about the actual OP. 

Jan 13, 2016 at 12:39:43 PM
Pheidian (14)
< Meka Chicken >
Finland

I understand your frustration. I see this as a very good choice, when going off for a holiday with my Retro Duo Portable, and I'm not that keen into taking my Power Blade 2, Little Samson, and other rare collector games with me to some moist cabin to destroy them. All in all, I own all of the games listed here, so I don't feel like pirating, I feel like using a convenient back up for trips to play with.

And to add, I feel the actual single game repros are BAD, but this kind of multicarts are far from being so called fakes to saturate or affect the collectors market in any way.

Collecting licensed NES games: 710 of 711 - DONE! (Mah Jong Missing)

Edited: 01/13/2016 at 12:41 PM by Pheidian

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:20:39 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: RegularGuyGamer

Exactly.

No way dude. That's like selling an exact replica of an album or selling a mix tape you made for your gf. And at this point, you're thread crapping a well written and thought out post. Idk if anything you posted in this thread was about the actual OP. 
I understand you're comparision. You're still stealing songs.

I had many things to say about the original post, and they are above. Many have agreed as well. I'm not thread crapping, like I said, because I could jsut make another thread with my opinions, get direted here, and nothing would change.

OP did a review of a product, as did I. They're illegal, enough said.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:02:54 PM
AsmikAce (97)
< Meka Chicken >
Indiana
People been making multicart bootlegs for years, but at least its not one of them carts that claims it has 100+ games but only have ten with variant titles.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:04:31 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

My games totalled out to eleven cents a piece judging by the current $16.50 price tag, although it was a dollar more at the time I bought it. Bonk's isn't included sadly.

Originally posted by: Thunderblaze16

Originally posted by: serge85

Originally posted by: Cheese_fries91

I need this! Anyone have the link to buy it?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Arrival-150-In-1-Rockman-...

There you go! , great multicart, I won't buy it because I have an Everdrive.

DAMN, I don't collect multi carts but that is a pretty good deal. You'd have to be pretty new to the hobby or not know how to use a computer for a quick search to ever mistake this as a legit game.

Yeah there's no mistaking it isn't a legit period release.

Originally posted by: BreaKBeatZ

I've been friends with a local store owner for 20 years, and when Xbox first came out he sold them for $800 pre-loaded with over 3,000 games. They had games from every system up to Dreamcast (I remember playing Marvel vs. Capcom on it), with nearly full libraries of NES and SNES + plenty of Famicom. Of course this was very illegal and he actually ended up going to jail for 6 months. His store stayed open though, and he's still in business doing very well.

If you live in the U.S., be careful what you sell, but if you're in China, go nuts
I can't really say anything except the guy deserved what he got. Blatantly illegal and reselling pirated goods in plain sight = not smart. Glad he cleaned his act though.

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:13:13 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: AsmikAce

People been making multicart bootlegs for years, but at least its not one of them carts that claims it has 100+ games but only have ten with variant titles.
Yeah, I think the Power Joy III or something had a menu with like 76000 games on it. Kind of boggles the mind when you consider that if you took every variant of every ROM in the GoodNES set, bad or otherwise, plus every proto, repro, hack, and homebrew ever released by anyone as a ROM or a cart, you still probably wouldn't have 76000 games. IIRC, it was 76 early Famicom NROM titles repeated again and again one thousand times over. Still not bad considering, but generally the higher the number, the higher the bullshit factor. I think the 999,999-in-1 had like 7 games or something.

Jan 14, 2016 at 1:33:33 AM
kazuo (11)
(Joe Momma) < Crack Trooper >
California

Exactly.

Bonk repros (and other, more valuable repros, such as Stadium Events, Flintstones, Little Samson) have been available from China for a couple of years now. Not much has changed in terms of how it affects the price or suspicions of whether or not a cartridge is legitimate.

Typically, a collector or a buyer who is willing to shell out that amount of money for a 20+ year old video game is savvy enough to request detailed photos of the PCB and shell to verify authenticity, if not buying it in person.

Let's dial back the Doomsday clock a little.

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:39:34 AM
Jono1874 (22)
(Mega Man) < Meka Chicken >
California
This doesn't devalue my collection anymore than the existence of the PowerPak or the M8 do. I don't understand the hostility at all.

"B-B-But it's illegal!" Yes, yes it is. I don't think the developers of this cart care anywhere near as much as you do. Getting mad that it's illegal doesn't do shit for you except make you angry, when there are far better reasons to be angry about this cart. You wanna know what pisses me off the most about this thing? the fact that they wasted a perfectly good slot by adding the Adventures of Bayou Billy.

This is too good of a deal to pass up, even if I do already own a majority of the games on this cart that actually matter.

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Jono...