Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Bought an old TV to use for my Atari 2600

Aug 05 at 7:47:29 PM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
But I can't get it to work! The TV turns on, and gives me "snow" but when I screw the antenna to coax converter thing (the thing with the two prongs on it) in (using a Magnavox T-26 since it's the only one I have that does that), it doesn't really do anything. When I turn the 2600 on the "snow" changes slightly like it's doing something.

I checked the connections, all are nice and tight. I tried channel 2 and 3. I set the 2600 to B&W since it's a B&W TV. But no signs of life. I know that 2600 works as it's one I've used in the past.

Help?

The TV is a RCA Model AR122W. Made in 1973. If that helps any?

Oh and anyone know anything about old TVs in general? It gets pretty warm quickly and I'm wondering if that's a hazard. Also wondering if someone can tell me what one of these dials does. It's above the TV channel dial and it has numbers from 14 to 83. It spins around instead of clicking like the channel dial and seemingly does nothing when I spin it. Ah and one last thing, the TV has a black bar along the bottom that I can't seem to get to fill in with "snow" I tried adjusting the picture on the back but it doesn't really help it.

Wondering if I bought a junk TV lol. It was only $5 but I was hoping it would work.

-------------------------
My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

My want list: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=56&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Aug 05 at 8:09:54 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: Astor Reinhardt

But I can't get it to work! The TV turns on, and gives me "snow" but when I screw the antenna to coax converter thing (the thing with the two prongs on it) in (using a Magnavox T-26 since it's the only one I have that does that), it doesn't really do anything. When I turn the 2600 on the "snow" changes slightly like it's doing something.

I checked the connections, all are nice and tight. I tried channel 2 and 3. I set the 2600 to B&W since it's a B&W TV. But no signs of life. I know that 2600 works as it's one I've used in the past.

Help?

One of these?

Can you take a picture of the connection?
It gets pretty warm quickly and I'm wondering if that's a hazard.
Those old TVs get warm. As long as it isn't like hot, like you can't hold your hand on it for long hot, you should be fine.

Also wondering if someone can tell me what one of these dials does. It's above the TV channel dial and it has numbers from 14 to 83. It spins around instead of clicking like the channel dial and seemingly does nothing when I spin it.
Those are for analog UHF channels. The lower knob probably has a U setting, which allowed you to tune a channel on the upper knob. Largely went the way of the Dodo when analog OTA shut down.

Aug 05 at 8:18:43 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Federated States of Micronesia
Try channel 4.

Are you sure the Atari actually powers on? What you describe is exactly what happens if I switch on my Nintendo and forget to plug it in.

The 14-83 dial is just that, it's for channels in those numbers. (UHF, yes like the movie) To use it you would have to turn the VHF (2-13) channel dial to U.

How hot does the TV get?

Aug 05 at 8:21:23 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Originally posted by: Tulpa
Those old TVs get warm. As long as it isn't like hot, like you can't hold your hand on it for long hot, you should be fine.
Those are for analog UHF channels. The lower knob probably has a U setting, which allowed you to tune a channel on the upper knob. Largely went the way of the Dodo when analog OTA shut down.

Jinx!   

Aug 05 at 8:36:33 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee
We got it all on UHF...

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.

Aug 05 at 9:06:35 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
"Where did you find this guy?"

"Me? I thought you hired him."

Aug 05 at 9:20:56 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Do you happen to have an actual TV/Computer switch instead of the Magnavox one?

Aug 05 at 9:23:39 PM
bootload (8)

< El Ripper >
Alabama
You want one of these.

Aug 05 at 9:26:51 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: bootload

You want one of these.

Might not even need that. Doesn't the Atari switch box have the screw prong connectors? 

That's why I want to see a picture of Astor's setup.

Aug 05 at 9:30:48 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
Ohio

You want one of these.

Unless you have a 2600 Jr, or that TV is so old it isn't "cable ready" (just has the antenna input screws)

Aug 06 at 12:59:29 AM
Yelir (28)
(Riley Gallant) < El Ripper >
Alberta
Did you have experience with the Atari working on another TV? I remember the heavy sixers I owned had the garbage power connection on the toggle switch. I would power on my console and have to tap the toggle left/right to get a solid image.  

Aug 06 at 3:15:40 AM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
I'll test the 2600 later on another TV but I'm 85% sure it's working. The TV doesn't get burning to the touch hot but it's somewhat noticeable...

Did not know that about the dial, so thanks for that...neat.

And the TV is so old...it literally only has the input screws.

As for a switch...nope. That Magnavox one is the only one I have. Could it be dead?

My finds thread: http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=10&am...

Trading: Lots of Pokemon cards, broken systems, Final Fantasy figures, Inuyasha figures, older PC games - PM me for more info! Also on the hunt for Earthbound!

(>'.')> I HAVE ASPERGERS, SO IF I SAY SOMETHING THAT SEEMS RUDE, I MIGHT NOT MEAN FOR IT TO BE RUDE!!!! <('.'<)

Aug 06 at 7:02:01 AM
SNESNESCUBE64 (42)
(Halloween Yoshi) < Lolo Lord >
Michigan

I'll test the 2600 later on another TV but I'm 85% sure it's working. The TV doesn't get burning to the touch hot but it's somewhat noticeable...

As for a switch...nope. That Magnavox one is the only one I have. Could it be dead?

are you sure you are screwing the box in the correct place? On an old tv I had, it had two sets of screws, one for uhf, and one for vhf. I've always had bad luck with those switch boxes, so I'd argue that it could be the box. On top of that, make sure you are actually setting it to channel 3 or whatever you have it set to. In terms of heat, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you start smelling the magic smoke.

Y-akuza
O-perations
S-ecure
H-is
I-ncome

Edited: 08/06/2019 at 07:03 AM by SNESNESCUBE64

Aug 06 at 7:28:14 AM
Sign Collector Guy (8)
< Ridley Wrangler >
United States

Help?

The TV is a RCA Model AR122W. Made in 1973. If that helps any?

Oh and anyone know anything about old TVs in general? It gets pretty warm quickly and I'm wondering if that's a hazard. Also wondering if someone can tell me what one of these dials does. It's above the TV channel dial and it has numbers from 14 to 83. It spins around instead of clicking like the channel dial and seemingly does nothing when I spin it. Ah and one last thing, the TV has a black bar along the bottom that I can't seem to get to fill in with "snow" I tried adjusting the picture on the back but it doesn't really help it.

Wondering if I bought a junk TV lol. It was only $5 but I was hoping it would work.

check out the av mod for a 2600. Inexpensive if you are handy with a soldering iron

Aug 06 at 9:47:06 AM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California

You don't have the switch box? Post a picture of the connection.

Aug 06 at 10:10:31 AM
supercoupe91 (6)
< Eggplant Wizard >
North Dakota

You want one of these.

What he said. You want one of these regardless if you have the Switch box or not as they are often no longer working. Even if they do, they will still introduce additional video noise.

Aug 06 at 11:56:48 AM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: gunpei

Try channel 4.

Are you sure the Atari actually powers on? What you describe is exactly what happens if I switch on my Nintendo and forget to plug it in.

The 14-83 dial is just that, it's for channels in those numbers. (UHF, yes like the movie) To use it you would have to turn the VHF (2-13) channel dial to U.

How hot does the TV get?

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but it made me laugh. 

Classic. "Okay....is it on channel three or four? 3? Try 4!"

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Aug 06 at 1:18:57 PM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Originally posted by: AirVillain

Not. OP said she tried channels 2 and 3. Most RF consoles give you the choice of 3 or 4. My Atari 2600 doesn’t have a switch for that, but I don’t know of any US consoles that output on 2’s frequency. 

Aug 06 at 11:12:11 PM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
Originally posted by: SNESNESCUBE64

are you sure you are screwing the box in the correct place? On an old tv I had, it had two sets of screws, one for uhf, and one for vhf. I've always had bad luck with those switch boxes, so I'd argue that it could be the box. On top of that, make sure you are actually setting it to channel 3 or whatever you have it set to. In terms of heat, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you start smelling the magic smoke.
Yeah there's two prongs, I screwed one into UHF and one into VHF. That's the correct way right? I set it to channel 3 both on the 2600 and on the TV.

Aug 06 at 11:16:02 PM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington

Not. OP said she tried channels 2 and 3. Most RF consoles give you the choice of 3 or 4. My Atari 2600 doesn’t have a switch for that, but I don’t know of any US consoles that output on 2’s frequency.
My 2600 has a switch for channel 2-3 right on it. Which is why I said I tried 2 and 3. TBH I tried EVERY channel...but none of them showed anything.

Aug 06 at 11:16:46 PM
Tulpa (2)
< Wiz's Mom >
California
Yeah there's two prongs, I screwed one into UHF and one into VHF. That's the correct way right? I set it to channel 3 both on the 2600 and on the TV.
So you're talking about the Magnavox dongle, right. What then do you have it connected to?

Aug 07 at 12:02:19 AM
gunpei (10)
< Ridley Wrangler >

!     That's it. Well maybe it's not the only it, but that is wrong. You want both prongs on VHF.

Aug 07 at 12:29:02 AM
Jeevan (4)
< Crack Trooper >
Indiana
^ thats what i was thinking but havent had an old tv forever.

Anybody want a butterscotch?

Aug 09 at 8:02:43 PM
Astor Reinhardt (16)
< King Solomon >
Washington
Ok update. Atari works fine, plugged it into a TV I know works using that coax thing that someone posted a picture of earlier in the thread. I've had one all along, it's just that old TV doesn't have an outlet for that.

Anyways so I know it's not the Atari...which is good lol. I tried putting both prong things on VHF...nothing. Same "snow" and now a buzzing sound. So going to assume that the prong thing is dead?

Any recommendations on getting a switch box prong thing? I'm assuming eBay's my best bet right?

Aug 09 at 8:15:26 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
Ohio

Every pre-NES console used 2-3.