Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NWC & Ecstasy of Order memorabilia package auctioning off for charity

LOCKED TOPIC

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:51:40 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
(Robin Mihara) < Bowser >
Oregon
Greetings NA,

You'll have to forgive me for the tone.  I'm normally one to be in a jokey mood most of my life, and I'm not accustomed to taking things too seriously.  Bare with me as I try and get through this.

For those who don't know, my name is Robin Mihara.  Co-producer and co-star of the Tetris movie Ecstasy of Order.  One of the featured stars in the film: Thor Aackerlund, was the overall Nintendo World Champion in 1990 (NWC) a contest where I took 3rd, and is a very close friend of mine thanks to this film project bringing us together, 20 years later.  Quite a few pieces of this lot are signed by Thor, and everything (I'm pretty sure) can be signed by Jonas or Harry (stars of the film) when I see them in 11 days.

Over the years of this film being put together, I managed to hoard a large amount of memorabilia either related to the film festival circuit, the Tetris contests that followed (CTWC), or the film in general.  I always planned to put all this together in a shadow box of some sort, but anyone who's seen my office might be able to predict that my vision will probably be just that (a vision) for quite a while.    An opportunity came up where I think I can put these sentimental things to good use, so I am taking full advantage.

I'm auctioning off this package to help raise money for an old friend of mine who has fallen terribly ill to stage 4 colon cancer.  The costs of her current treatment are not covered, and her heroic boyfriend is working nearly 2 full time jobs, just to keep them afloat.  That fact just kills me, as they don't get the time to spend together that they should.  
    My friend, Sarah, is 27 years old, and like many other young people with terrible diseases is the last person who would ever deserve this.  I've known her since she was 6 and since that time, she very well may be the only person I've known who has never had a negative thing to say.  Her warm personality is one that brightens a room, and people leave her presence better than when they entered.  She has always treated herself well, didn't do drugs or smoke, and of course... is the one who gets this disease younger than anyone I've known.  (In my experience) The universe is cruel in this way.
     I really don't have words to explain how great a person she is, so I'll just leave it at this: Imagine the best person you know finds out that they have the worst disease imanigable.  Stage 4 is not a situation where she can wait and hope for things to get better.  Sarah needs all that she can get right now.

I hope that people who are big fans of the film, or the NWC, or even have been affected by cancer in someway that they understand how tragic this experience can be, will be interested enough to bid on this lot.  Auction ends this Sunday September 29th, 8PM NA time (5PM Pacific)  The items are many, so I took a video to show what is offered.  Please ask any questions here that you might have.

here are the details (stolen from a NA member, thanks )

Auction Rules:

Thor has agreed to sign any items that the winner wants.  Please arrange with me to get them shipped to him (then you) at my expense after winning.
  • Starting bid is $10.00
  • Minimum bid of $1.00
  • Shipping payed for by me to USA.  It will be more money (on top of your bid) if from out of country
  • US and Canada bidders only (pm me for exemption)
  • Bidding will end Sunday September 29th 2013, 8:30pm (NA time) "Time at the top of the NA page"
  • Any edited posts will be void
  • Bids must be placed via post
  • Winner will be asked to donate to Sarah's fundraising page.  Annonomous is fine, I only ask that you say you are a "friend of Robin's" so she knows what it was from.
  • Payment must be made within 10 days of the auction end
  • Canadian bidders are welcome, shipping will be higher.
  • Allow 2 weeks for me to deliver if you want gear signed by Jonas and/or Harry
Anti-Sniping Rule:

Auction ends at 8:30PM (NA time), if someone bids within the last 2 minutes, the auction will extend by 2 minutes each time until everyone is finished bidding.  Good luck!

Her fundraising page-
http://www.youcaring.com/medical-...

Even if you can't bid, or have no interest in the film or this gear, donating a dollar or two really adds up.  I would consider any donation a favor, and thank you all for reading.

-------------------------

www.ecstasyoforder.com...

Edited: 09/25/2013 at 04:47 PM by Robin Mihara

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:04:59 PM
NewUser123456789 (226)

(New User) < Bonk >
Other

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:05:46 PM
MrClutch (161)
(Ron W) < King Solomon >
Minnesota

Let me remove the eggplant curse.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:07:14 PM
Mario's Right Nut (352)
(Cunt Punch) < Bowser >
Texas

This is my shiny thing, and if you try to take it off me, I may have to eat you.

Check out my dev blog.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:07:39 PM
qixmaster (129)
(Josh B) < Wiz's Mom >
Oregon

eBay listings here

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:33:11 PM
Ferris Bueller (231)
(Christian D) < King Solomon >
Texas
$150

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at the Let's Play Gaming Expo last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Oh, my WTB thread is very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, Richard craniums - they all adore it. They think it's a righteous thread.
I'd also like to add that I've got my father's gun and a *scorching* price guide for aftermarket Nintendo games.
Between Dragon Warriors and nothing... I'll take Dragon Warriors - for any of my FT/FS/FO items.

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:12:24 PM
RetroBasement (142)
(I read PM's !) < King Solomon >
Ohio
Damn man, thats really sad. Wish i wasnt a broke college kid or id chip in. Terrible when this stuff happens to young, good, healthy people.

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:36:30 PM
PeteDiak (195)
(Pete Diak) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I hope she gets well soon Robin. I made a small donation and I encourage others to do the same.

Sep 24, 2013 at 7:40:54 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
Oregon
Wow, thanks Pete. Sincerely. I'm actually equally as excited for her to see this support coming from all over the world as I am her receiving the funds. This kind of gesture means a lot sir.

Sep 24, 2013 at 8:09:30 PM
Thor (52)
(Thor Aackerlund) < Meka Chicken >
Texas
I fully support Robin on this, and wish I had more that I could do to help. I have recently dug up my original Gameboy and tetris cart from 1989, and am adding in my very first Tetris cart to this effort. This was not long after my house fire, and I had to save and hustle every penny to be able to get it. I walked 3+ miles to the closest Target store to buy it, haha. This cart would be the entire reason I became NWC in my opinion, as Gameboy tetris side to side movement was so slow that I developed and improved my tapping technique. That technique would go on to help me to victory, and many many many years later, to some decent attempts to recapture a bit of long-dormant Tetris abilities. I'll initial it, sign it, personalize it, or leave it alone as the winner sees fit. You will have to confer with Robin to see if he wants to add it to this grouping, or to create a new auction out of it. And thanks for supporting an important and moving cause.

Pics, and yes it still works!

Yes, 1990 NWC in case you're curious :) A long long time ago, in a video game competition far far away.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:27:37 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
Oregon
Well first and foremost, I want to win this thing, so it will have to be a separate auction I will start it tomorrow morning. Amazing gesture friend.

link to Thor's Tetris cart auction!

http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...

Edited: 09/25/2013 at 04:31 PM by Robin Mihara

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:15:50 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
Oregon
Bump

Edit: Thor has agreed to sign any items that the winner wants.  Please arrange with me to get them shipped to him (then you) at my expense after winning.

Edited: 09/25/2013 at 04:30 PM by Robin Mihara

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:36:57 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Thor, that is truly an amazing gesture, as Robin said. I'll be bidding on that once the auction is set up.

I bid $200 for the memorabilia lot.

Also, Robin, does the Auction end Friday the 27th or Sunday the 29th of September?
Right now it say's Sunday the 27th of September, which isn't an actual date, lol

Edited: 09/25/2013 at 04:39 PM by Br81zad

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:47:09 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
Oregon
Crap thanks. Sunday the 29th. I will change. and thanks a ton for the bid. I'm getting all teary watching this support come from everywhere

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:51:38 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
You got it man. Big fan of the film, and I tell people about it any chance I get.

My Grandfather is a cancer survivor. Someday soon, Sarah will be able to say the same. Staying positive is a must

Sep 25, 2013 at 4:52:52 PM
Busdriverj (102)
(Jason Faulkenberry) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina

Auction became too rich for me but Im making a donation.

Edited: 09/25/2013 at 04:53 PM by Busdriverj

Sep 25, 2013 at 5:11:57 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
Oregon
Thank you Jason! She's going to be so confused seeing all these people donate who she doesn't know. This is great

Yes Mav, she's definitely trying to stay positive about it all. There are so many layers of difficulty with this disease, as you know... It's amazing how people rise to the challenge. Glad to hear your grandfather is winning the fight.

Sep 26, 2013 at 5:09:26 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Bump for a cause

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:47:46 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
Oregon
tippie top

Sep 27, 2013 at 7:37:27 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
Oregon
I just wanted to thank everyone who has donated directly to Sarah's fundraising page, asking for nothing in return. It's at like a dozen generous people and rising (just from NA), and some people are sharing on Facebook, getting other people to donate. I'm pretty blown away to be honest. A huge thank you to you all. I know for a fact the help will go a long long way.

Sep 28, 2013 at 8:21:11 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
Oregon
bump. 1 day left!

Sep 29, 2013 at 7:56:09 AM
skylersz (89)
(Skyler S) < Lolo Lord >
Other
I don't visit NA as much as I used to, but seeing this really puts life into perspective.

My Bid: $220 (I know I am not from US or CAN but don't know if I will be up when the auction ends, feel free to make a decision on my bid Robin if I am not around)

All my best to Sarah.

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:40:15 AM
Robin Mihara (106)
Oregon
Thanks Andrew. Of course your bid is welcome.

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:59:29 PM
Robin Mihara (106)
Oregon
220 to Skylersz! Looks like I have a great reason to finally get you that other stuff! please lock