Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

SNES Strategies "Can NA Beat" child thread

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:13:11 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Originally posted by: guitarzombie

Id love to see one of these for the NES
Me too, could of helped prevent accidently fucking myself over with Iron Tank the other night

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:49:27 PM
Night Driver (0)
< Little Mac >
Alabama
Super Batter Up

Fielding

There is no option for automatic fielding in Super Batter Up. Moving fielders into proper defensive positions is the player's responsibility, and there is little room for error. You must be able to predict the ball's trajectory immediately after it leaves the bat and instinctively take control of and begin moving the fielder that is in the best position to make the play. If you hesitate for even the slightest moment, you will have a difficult time recovering.

It is also critical that you understand how to move your fielders into proper defensive positions without being able to actually see them because on fly balls to the outfield, your outfielders will be offscreen during the majority of the ball's flight. Super Batter Up doesn't even display a mini-map of the field in a corner of the screen, as most baseball games do, that shows you the movements of all the players on the field.

My advice is to play several exhibition games where you simply practice fielding. Don't concern yourself with winning or loosing, just practice fielding until you feel reasonably comfortable with it. Believe me, if you don't have a good handle on this aspect of the game, you have no shot at winning.

Hitting

Press and **HOLD** the swing button to ensure that you're making a full-power swing. You want to be hitting fly-balls to the gaps or line-drives through the infield. If you just tap the button or if you release it too early, you'll make a low-power check-swing, usually resulting in an infield dribbler or a pop-up.

To ensure that the ball makes contact with the "sweet-spot" of the bat, follow the inside/outside movements of the ball after it leaves the pitcher's hand. In response to this movement, slide your hitter latterly within the batter's box to keep things squared-up. You'll notice the CPU batters constantly making these adjustments.

Simultaneously pressing down on the D-pad as you hit the ball imparts a greater chance for a fly ball. Pressing up, imparts a greater chance for a ground ball. I could find no strategic advantage in trying to hit fly-balls. In fact, I'd recommend against pushing down on the d-pad. However, there is a quirk in the defensive AI that causes the defense to prioritize getting the runner out at first over getting the lead runner out, so if you can get a man on second with no outs, you can hit groundball sacrifices (by pressing up on the d-pad and, maybe, using a check-swing) with your next two batters to move the man on second to third, and then to home. This was my primary method for scoring runs.

Pitching

You have a three-man rotation, but your starting pitchers can throw every other game, so you only need two good starters. Relievers can throw every game.

The sinkerball in the dirt is probably the most effective pitch in the game for producing strikes, but only a select few pitchers can throw it effectively. To keep the hitter guessing, move a tick or two left or right on the mound between sinkerball pitches.

Curveballs that start outside and break back over the plate can also be effective, especially when thrown on the inside where they can jam the hitter. However, like the sinkerball, only a select few pitchers in the game can throw these kinds of curves effectively. Moreover, the velocity of your pitches randomly varies, which gives each curveball a unique breaking-point, making it difficult to throw back-to-back curveballs in the same groove.

If your pitcher runs out of stamina and starts visibly panting and sweating between pitches, get him off the mound! He'll get rocked when he's in this condition.

Baserunning

Remember, you have to manually advance unforced runners and also manually tag-up after fly-ball outs.

It's vitally important to get your baserunners into scoring position, so be aggressive on the basepaths! If you hit a ball to the outfield and you can see that a fielder isn't immediately in position to make a play on the ball, try to stretch the hit into a double. If you have a fast runner, try to stretch it into a triple. It's easy to retreat back to first or second if you doesn't look like you'll be able to make it to the next base.

If you get a man on first, steal 2nd base. It's difficult to get a good jump, but if you're off, you can retreat back to first with little danger of getting caught in a rundown.

Team Selection

Don't just pick any old team. This isn't a forgiving game. Picking a "bad" team makes winning exponentially harder.

I consider shutdown pitching and speed on the basepaths to be the most important considerations when selecting a team.

On the title screen, if you press the right shoulder button 6 times, then the left shoulder button 6 times, and then press "start", you will be taken to the team view screen. Press left and right here to scroll between teams. Press down to show a team's bullpen. None of the data columns are labelled, but batting stance, batting average, homeruns, and stolen bases should be obvious. It's not clear to me what the final three columns represent, but I'm pretty sure the leftmost of the three columns is the player's speed rating (max 6).

On the bullpen screen, ERA and stamina should be obvious, and I believe the first two of the last four columns represent left and right curveball rating, but I don't know which is which. The third of the last four columns is sinkerball rating. I have no idea what the last column is.

Again, I would recommend picking a team with speedy runners and a bullpen with at least two pitchers who have sinkerball ratings of 10 or higher. Relievers with high sinker ball ratings AND high stamina are especially valuable because they can throw for multiple innings AND they can throw every game, unlike starting ptichers who can only throw every-other game. You can sub-in these relief pitchers in the first inning of a game--effectively making them starters--for the "bad" starting pitcher in your rotation.

Edited: 01/21/2017 at 05:59 PM by Night Driver

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:14:15 PM
Night Driver (0)
< Little Mac >
Alabama
Also, Brock, I think it would be a good idea to add this to the Super RBI tips.

• Press and **HOLD** the swing button to ensure that you're making a full-power swing.

Edited: 01/21/2017 at 09:14 PM by Night Driver

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:15:55 PM
NESking80 (15)
(Chris aka inspector Callahan ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
Someone should make an NES version of this thread

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:40:33 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
I'll update later today

Originally posted by: NESking80

One of you guys could do it    

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:44:10 PM
NESking80 (15)
(Chris aka inspector Callahan ) < Kraid Killer >
Michigan
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

I'll update later today

Originally posted by: NESking80

One of you guys could do it    

I would, but I post from mobile most of the time, and editing from mobile is misrible.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:08:42 AM
Loxx O))) (19)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Fat Man Kraid) < Bowser >
Washington
For Ultraman, use your high jump with kicks to drop down on enemies. They don't get a chance to hit you often like this and it makes the game much easier.

Also, I could post the advice from the beat thread over here to add a few more games?

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:00:45 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Yeah, I'll take it all

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:50:01 PM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

I appreciate any and all strategies for beating any title in the library, so post away, in here, or in the main thread, and I'll update as quickly as I can

I think this belongs here rather than the other thread.
Since just done, and I have fresh memories of it, here it is.
If other advice and guides sound messy or not too helpful...

STRATEGY TO DEFEAT THE FINAL BOSS IN FINAL FANTASY II US WITH A PARTY LEVEL IN RANGE L.44 TO L.49 (AVERAGE ~L.47).

OVERVIEW Rosa and Cecil standing up must be the priority. No matter what, Rosa must stay up and be at full health. No matter what, Cecil must stay up and be at full health. An extra ally up is likely to be a priority over an extra offensive move done... ...but if you won't have time to heal it right after, don't use a LIFE POTION. Below level 50 the battle is rather long, be prepared to this. You will, of course, need about 14 NINJA items to DART and about 14 ELIXIRS. You have the Crystal, Dragoon and Samurai equipment, and the best Robes and Ribbons. "Secret" or "extremely rare" items (SPOON, GLASS thing, and so on) aren't needed. If the RNG says so (e.g. two BIG BANG and a NUKE in sequence), you won't make it anyways.

FRONT ROW: EDGE, KAIN BACK ROW: CECIL*, RYDIA, ROSA *(not sure about this, probably it makes no difference defense wise, so FRONT would be best).

ROSA ELIXIR on her SELF if her HPs or MPs are critically low; else CURE 4 on the whole party if she's NOT FULL HEALTH (what you do 95% of the times); else LIFE 2 on CECIL if he's down and she's FULL HEALTH; else ELIXIR on CECIL if his HPs are critically low and she's FULL HEALTH; else LIFE 2 on EDGE if he's down and EVERYONE ELSE not down is close to FULL HEALTH; else LIFE 2 on KAIN/RYDIA if he/she's down and EVERYONE ELSE not down is close to FULL HEALTH; else CURE 4 on the whole party (which is what you do 95% of the times, never attack with her).

CECIL LIFE POTION on ROSA if she's down; else ELIXIR on ROSA if her HPs or MPs are critically low; else ELIXIR on him SELF if his HPs are critically low; else LIFE POTION on EDGE/RYDIA/KAIN if down; ATTACK (I know the temptation is to always attack: at level <50, don't).

EDGE/RYDIA/KAIN LIFE POTION on ROSA if she's down; else ELIXIR on ROSA if her HPs or MPs are critically low; else LIFE POTION on CECIL if he's down; else ELIXIR on CECIL if his HPs are critically low; else ELIXIR on him/her SELF if HPs are critically low; else - EDGE: DART (order: Excalibur, Grungnir, Light, Ninja(blade)/Ninja(stars)) - RYDIA or KAIN: LIFE POTION on EDGE if he's down; else - RYDIA: CALL BAHAM(UT) - KAIN: JUMP

It should work.  

Note: English is not my first language, so my English is far away by miles from perfection; if something it is not clear please point it out. Thank you.  

Feb 7, 2017 at 7:11:18 PM
Night Driver (0)
< Little Mac >
Alabama

@Brock: Rather than recopy all this, it might be simpler to just include a link to this post in the main index. That will also allow me to edit this information or add to it in the future, if necessary.

Cal Ripken Jr. Baseball

You must play 22 contests to beat the game--twenty season games and two playoff games. All season games are against teams in your own league--four games against each of the three other teams in your division and two games against each of the teams in the other division. After 20 games, the teams with the best records in each division face off against each other in the league championship game. The winner of that contest goes on to face the champion from the other league in the overall championship game.    

Set-Up

First thing, go to the option screen and turn off "Zoom Windows". This feature will basically rob you of easy outs, turning them into bases hits for the CPU.

I recommend playing in Thomson Dome. The pixelated texture of the turf in the other two stadiums obscures the ball's shadow, which makes it more difficult to catch the ball.

Team Selection

Not all teams are created equal, so pick a good team. I can't stress this enough. It's very hard to generate base hits in this game. You're going to have to rely on the long ball to score runs, so it's absolutely essential that you have plenty of homerun power in your lineup. Good defense on the corners (1st, 3rd, RF, LF) will also aid you immensely. 

You can't re-arrange your batting order, which is a huge flaw in the game. You can only make player-for-player substitutions from the bench. Nevertheless, you may need to make a few of these substitutions in order to ensure that your team is playing to its full offensive potential.

With appropriate substitutions made from the bench), I rank the teams as follows.

LA *
Baltimore *
Oakland *
Chicago (National Division)
Chicago (American Division)
Detroit
Texas
Boston
New York (National Division) *
Atlanta
Pittsburg
San Francisco *
New York (American Division)
Minnesota *
Cincinnati
St. Louis

If you plan to follow my pitching strategy (see below), then you'll also need to pick a team with pitchers who have curve ball ratings of at least 8 and an aggregate stamina of at least 10. On the list above, I've added an asterix after the teams which meet these criteria.

Los Angeles is easily the best offensive team in the game and they have a great pitching staff, but their speed is poor and their defense is atrocious. In particular, 1st and Right Field, which are both disasters. 

IMO, the two best teams in the game are Baltimore and Oakland. Oakland has better speed, while Baltimore has a slightly better defense, as well as Cal Ripken Jr. himself--and Cal's stats in this game are gaudy (.348 AVE, 51 HR's, and a 10-out-of-10 ranking in every skill category.) Cal can single-handedly keep you competitive in most games. When I played against Baltimore, I issued Cal an intentional walk every time he came up to bat.

Detroit and the two Chicago teams are also solid offensive and defensive teams, but their bullpens aren't a fit for my pitching strategy. If you can come up with a pitching strategy suited to their bullpens, then these teams should also be viable.

Batting

Each batter has a sweet-spot on his bat, the size of which is proportional to his batting average. The higher the average, the larger the sweet-spot. To produce quality hits, you want to adjust the position of your batter and the timing of your swing so that the bat contacts the pitch within this sweet-spot. However, I believe that a pitcher's ERA works to effectively reduce the size of this sweet spot and there seem to be stochastic elements in play as well. Bottom line, unfortunately, is that hitting feels indistinguishable from randomness most of the time.

The best strategy I found was to sit on specific pitches. The CPU only gives you 6-8 different looks and a couple of those pitches are more-or-less down the middle. Wait on those pitches and try to put your best swing on them. If you see that a pitch is starting to break, lay off of it. Your chances of getting a quality hit off a pitch like that are remote.

The CPU will occasionally walk you, either with four balls or by hitting you with a hard breaking pitch inside.

If you're having trouble getting quality hits, you're probably swinging too early. Try and hold back a bit, but not too long because swinging at the last possible moment won't make for a good hit either.

Don't stab at the swing button. Squeeze it in a controlled fashion, mimicking the rhythm of a natural swing.  

Squeeze and *HOLD* the swing button to ensure that you're making a full swing.

Stepping back in the batters box when facing pitchers who are throwing a lot of fastballs can help you with the timing of your swing, as can stepping forward when facing pitchers who are throwing a lot of change-ups.

You will need to shift laterally in the batter's box to square-up certain pitches, especially those coming from a pitcher who has positioned himself all the way out to one end of the mound.

I didn't experiment with this aspect of the game much, so I can't speak with authority about it usefulness, but the few times I tried, I didn't have much luck either bunting for a hit or laying down a sacrificial bunt in an attempt to move a runner over.

Pitching

Pitcher's don't need rest between starts. You can start the same pitcher every game.

If you just stand on the mound and randomly throw any old pitch, you're going to get rocked.

There are a number of ways to strike out CPU batters in this game. However, doing so consistently is quite difficult because your pitcher's speed and control drop over time, which constantly shifts the breaking points of your pitches and makes it hard to stay in any one groove for very long. You'll find that a pitch that was a guaranteed strike in the first inning suddenly becomes a guaranteed base hit in the second inning and a guaranteed homerun by the third.

I'm sure there are other pitching strategies that you can have success with, but the strategy that worked best for me was using right-handed pitchers to throw change-ups tight to the inside. I wasn't necessarily trying to strike out batters with this strategy. It was more of an attempt to deny batters quality hits by inducing them into hitting foul balls and easily-fielded grounders.

Here's how it's done:

—Move your pitcher out to the end of the mound closest to the batter. Throw a change-up. Pretend to be the batter and track the flight of the ball. At the moment you would begin to make your swing, tap the d-pad so the ball breaks a tick inside. This late movement will freeze numerous batters for a called strike on the inside corner of the plate, and those batters that do get around on the pitch will still get jammed, most likely hitting a foul ball or a groundball straight to the third or first baseman for an easy out.

—Keep one eye on the batter, however. If you spot him make a sizable leap to the outside, it means he's squared up the pitch. Immediately press and hold the d-pad to break the ball hard inside so that the batter will layoff of it for a ball, or hit it foul. If you don't break the ball inside enough in this situation, a quality hit, usually a homerun, is likely.

—As your pitcher's control drops you may need to tap and briefly hold the d-pad to get the pitch to break properly. Whenever you are pitching to a left-handed batter, you may also need to press and hold the d-pad like this to generate enough inward break. At some point, your pitcher's control will fall to a level where you can no longer get the ball to break effectively. Get that pitcher off the mound immediately or you risk giving up a homerun on your next pitch.

—In the first inning, your pitcher's velocity may be a bit too high to throw change-ups effectively (they'll be too fast). Mix in a few fastballs for balls (well off the plate) to burn off some of this velocity and lower the speed of the change-up. Ideal change-up speeds seem to run from the low-70's down to the high-50's.

—I couldn't get this strategy to work with left-handed pitchers. For some reason the break-points are in different locations when things are reversed.

Develop a lightning-fast pick-off move and relentlessly attempt to pick-off baserunners. If you see a baserunner take a two-step lead, try to pick him off. If you fail, retry anytime the batter/pitcher screen resets after a foul ball or an out. You can catch a surprising number of runners daydreaming for easy and, at times, critical outs. It also seems like the fastest runners in the game are the ones most prone to being picked-off, which is nice.

Intentionally walk dangerous hitters. Don't take chances pitching to the opposing team's best hitter(s). You stand a much better chance of getting these guys out by issuing them a walk and then picking them off at first.

Watch for the CPU to sac-bunt whenever a runner is on first with no outs.

The CPU will also steal bases occasionally, but with my pitching strategy of strictly throwing change-ups, there was nothing I could do to prevent this.

Fielding

Press the select button on the pitcher/batter screen to set your defensive alignments. The "B" button switches between infielders and outfielders. Up and down on the d-pad switches between alignments. I left my infielders alone, but moved my outfielders deep because I wasn't very good at defense and found it best if most everything hit to the outfield stayed in front of my defenders.

Chase after foul balls and try to catch them. You can get numerous outs this way. Moreover, my pitching strategy produces numerous foul balls. I actually rely on them to generate easy outs.

Press the "B" button to jump for balls that are just over your fielder's head. 

Baserunning

You have to manually advance your runners if you want them to take multiple bases. You also have to manually return them to their original base on fly-outs. Be aware that the controls for returning a runner to his base on a fly-out are not very responsive. You may have to give the command multiple times.

Learn who your fastest runners are (guys rated 9 and 10) and if they get on base, try to steal 2nd and, maybe, even 3rd. If you get a bad jump, you can return to your previous base without much risk of getting caught.

Watch out for the game automatically advancing your unforced runners. This can lead to some really aggravating and unnecessary outs.

Take just a one step lead-off or else you are almost guaranteed to be picked-off (turn about is fair play, after all).  

Edited: 09/12/2017 at 03:17 AM by Night Driver

Jul 2, 2017 at 4:11:17 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
Tips on International Tennis Tour:

Gameplay:
  • Press Select on the character selection screen to customize your controls, which I strongly recommend doing. My scheme is similar to Super Tennis: Y = lob, X = topspin, A = slice, B = dropshot, L = flat, R = hard.
  • Serve with A out wide. Serving from ad court (left) is harder for some reason; you may need to back off a bit to get the ball to stay in. Aces aren't a factor in this game.
  • Your bread-and-butter shot is the topspin, which almost always stays in, though certain crosscourt backhand volleys invariably seem to go out.
  • Against serve-and-volley players, lob a lot -- they almost never hit overhead smashes.
  • Dropshots work well if you're close enough to the net. Hold down and, if they go over the net, they're essentially unretrievable. The dropshot button (or B, in any event) is also used to hit overhead smashes against the CPU's rare lobs.
  • Hard and flat shots are basically useless since they go long too much, but you can occasionally win a point by slamming a hard shot right at your opponent, whereupon his reply will often go out.
  • When serving, the most reliable tactic to quickly win the point is to rush forward and hit a crosscourt topspin shot from midcourt or a dropshot from near the net, depending on the surface and the pace of the opponent's ball. If the opponent is a net-rusher, hit a lob instead.
  • When returning "normally", hit down the line, not crosscourt (but see exploit below).
  • A strat/exploit for returning serve and winning the point instantly: if you stand in just the right spot and slice your return by tapping A without hitting anything else, the ball will usually dribble over the net for an unreturnable cheapo winner. On grass courts, there are two dots on either side, placed symmetrically at the bottom of the court wear pattern; stand roughly in a horizontal line with the upper dot, and you're in the right spot.
Overall strategy:

• The game's goal is to become World #1 at the end of the year; once you're #1 you can skip to the end of the calendar. Winning Grand Slams, the Nations Cup, or the season-ending Masters Cup aren't required, though the fastest route to #1 will have you winning the Australian and French, at the very least.
  • All tournaments are five rounds (except the Masters Cup which is three). Regular tournaments have either one-set or three-set matches; Grand Slams, the Nations Cup, and the Masters cup are best of five sets. Longer matches = more prize money and bigger ranking gains.
  • No passwords until the end of the tournament (sigh). Grand Slams drop you into a mandatory doubles tournament after the singles tournament, so you'd have to win two consecutive tournaments to get a password; fortunately, you can forfeit the doubles (see below).
  • Each week, play (and win) the singles tournament with the biggest prize fund, and you'll reach #1 after Wimbledon. Since you'll be #2 right before Wimbledon, you might be able to skip Wimbledon and play a smaller tournament instead to save time.
  • Skip all doubles tournaments and the Nations Cup by pressing Select on the tournament bracket screen, which is an undocumented feature that forfeits your next match. The Nations Cup offers no ranking points and isn't required, while the doubles tournaments pair you with a CPU partner and none of your patterns from the singles matches will work.
  • With optimal strategies and mastery of the gameplay, expect 25-30 hours minimum to beat this game. It took me over 40, but I had to figure out the calendar, win condition, slice return exploit, etc.

Edited: 07/02/2017 at 04:19 PM by bronzeshield

Jul 3, 2017 at 1:32:27 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Thanks. Added tips (exploits) for Sterling Sharpe as well

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:43:09 PM
MrPeaPod (0)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
Wicked 18 Golf

The game saves after every shot taken. Resetting your console before the ball comes to a complete rest and then selecting continue on the main menu will let you retake your intial shot

Check out my game collection here:
https://collection.gamevaluenow.c...

Nov 7, 2017 at 6:18:53 AM
Daniel_Doyce (0)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Super Conflict
  • Retreat from 95% of all battles initiated by the computer. Once in a while, the computer will pick a bad fight (city vs. SAM, factory vs. light tank), so attack then. In short: never choose defend, either retreat or attack when the computer picks a fight and you will avoid taking tons of unnecessary damage.
  • Stage 1 is easy as long as you attack when the terrain is to your advantage. So, I'll discuss the air and sea elements in detail here to get you through the rest of the game.
  • The AI loves to attack factories and cities; let it waste its time doing that. It rarely will actually take out a factory if you constantly retreat, and you don't need additional output from the factories anyway. Commando, M-60, M-1 Abrams, and Apache helicopters are the only good choices for production.
Sea Tactics

• Send your submarine and battleship straight for the enemy carrier, if there is one. If you can't destroy it quickly, at least try to harass it as far away from the battle as possible. If the carrier is out of commission, enemy planes have one fewer place to refuel.
  • If there's no carrier, the destroyer and cruiser are easy targets. Ignore the flag ship in stage 5 and go for the win by capturing the flag tank instead.
  • Don't bother attacking land targets as it's rarely effective, unless your battleship can take a few potshots at the enemy's flag tank once the carrier has been disposed of.
  • Sequester your other ships as far away from the battle as possible and just make sure they don't get attacked.
Air Tactics

• Your general plan is to put your bombers and choppers in an airport hangar until the third turn, when all the enemy planes have to refuel. When that happens, you can unleash their fearsome power and crap heavy ammunition down the enemy flag tanks and heavy tanks' throats.
  • To accomplish this, move any heavy planes from the carrier to your "home" airport on the first turn. Put the lighter Tomcats, Eagles, and Hornets out as bait to distract the computer's air and sea forces. It doesn't matter if they are shot down as long as they occupy the enemy's firepower for a few turns.
  • Locate the enemy flag tank and move all your heavy planes into the closest airport on the second or third turn. Then wait for the third computer turn when all the planes leave for refueling. Take out your bombers and Apaches and any large tanks nearby, and rain hell down on the flag tank for a turn or two to win the scenario.
Ground Tactics

• Surface to air missiles are only useful against enemy helicopters, and only when you have good terrain. Otherwise, just keep them out of harm's way.
  • Your primary objective is to secure all airports on the third or fourth turn. This will either leave the computer with nowhere to land (third turn) or you get to destroy them all when you take over the last airport (fourth turn). Either way is quite satisfying. The computer AI is really bad at securing its airports and will instead attack a nearby factory, so it's easier than it sounds.
  • Other than that, just use the terrain and cities to your advantage, and try to avoid getting so many tanks destroyed that you can't secure airports and hang on to your overall position. If you're retreating all the time, it's not that difficult to hold out for a few turns with minimal losses.

Koeinalia: A Compendium of Koei Knowledge - NES and SNES

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:01:16 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
Washington
How to make it through the Haunted House in Bebe's Kids.

Go through first set of double doors
Go through left door
Reenter the door you came from
Go down the hallway to the left and enter the book case FROM THE RIGHT
Go through the LEFT side of the same book case
Go to the right in the hall and enter the first door
Go the the right and enter the book case FROM THE LEFT
Go to the right and enter the first door
Go to the left in the hall and enter the book case FROM THE LEFT
Go through the LEFT side of the same book case
Go down the hallway to the right and enter the second door
Exit through the left

Additional tips:
During the beat-em-up sections you don't have to beat all enemies.  Move to the right until the screen stops scrolling, then usually beat one or two more enemies and keep moving right.  When you see a door (or a hole) walk through.  It's nearly impossible to beat all enemies and exit the stages.
ALWAYS UPPERCUT (L + punch).  Enemies will go down in 3-5 hits if you uppercut but last forever with standard attacks.
On the china/glass section, you have to jump and attack to break all the things that the baby drops.  If the stepdad(boyfriend, whatever, never watched it) catches ANY items the number will go back up by one.
When you get to the basement level, keep moving to the right.  Look for holes in the floor or ceiling and that is your way out.  Don't get stuck thinking you have to make the screen scroll.
The final boss can ONLY be hurt while doing a jumping attack.
The greatest tip of all, don't fucking play it.

Edited: 01/13/2018 at 08:32 PM by Loxx O)))

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:06:35 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
You are playing Bebe's kids?
I am so sorry for you. It is one of the worst games on the SNES by far.
But yeah, that path gets you out of the Haunted House.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Jan 13, 2018 at 8:25:03 PM
Loxx O))) (19)
Washington
Yeah, just finished it up. Honestly, the only really terrible parts are the Haunted House (easily beaten with that guide) and the last boss that is nearly impossible to hit. Ugh.

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:47:05 AM
link463 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas
Stunt Race FX - You don't have to clear the Novice course, but it's good for practice. You can plow through the Expert course easily enough with 4WD, but for the Master Course, it's F-Type or bust. The key to not crashing or splashing with him is to never use boost unless you're on a straight path and you need to get ahead of another car or something like that. It's ok to let off the gas to get around those tight corners, and definitely watch your speed in those half pipes on Night Harbor. You shouldn't ever have to worry about running out of time with F-Type, so just take it slow when you need to and make sure you finish at least third. Also, it's better to go for laps completed in the bonus stage to get extra lives. You're much more likely to crash than to run out of time.

Super Play Action Football - So, this game really isn't that hard once you've mastered one simple technique - jumping. You can press Y to make the player you're controlling jump and either swat the ball down or intercept it. You win by dominating on defense. Just stay in either man to man or zone and wait for the AI to throw the ball (which they do a lot.) Watch that grid on the left of the screen and pay attention to where the ball is going. Quickly press L or R and it will switch you to the player nearest the ball. Use the grid to position yourself in front of the player and when the ball gets there, face it and jump and you will intercept it every time. If your back is turned, you'll just knock it down. You can also usually score some easy sacks by controlling a DE or LB, especially when the AI leaves its right side open. Sprint to the QB and dive at him. You'll want to do this anyway if they're running the ball, but your AI will usually stop them. If you can get the AI to punt, it should always result in a TD or safety for you. Pick punt block and you will almost always have a guy get in the backfield. Switch to him and run towards the punter, then jump as he is kicking. It doesn't look like you'll block, but you will. One of your hundred guys in the backfield will pick up the ball automatically and there will be no one between you and the endzone.

As for offense, it honestly kind of sucks and there's no fun way of going about it. The easiest thing to do is pick a team that has a run-oriented offense such as Dallas or Detroit and just run sweeps, off tackles, and options. This has the added benefit of killing the clock. If you want to pass, use the same technique that you use to get interceptions. Keep Hail Mary set to one of your audibles as the AI sometimes comes out in goal line defense for no reason. If they do, and you run Hail Mary, you'll have a guy wide open for an easy TD. Also, Punt Fake Pass works quite well in a pinch. You'll nearly always have an open receiver on the left side and you'll have forever to throw the ball. Try not to rely on it too much, as the AI seems to get hip to it after a while. One other thing that helps a lot and is the only thing about offense that's fun - the stiff arm, which is the most OP stiff arm in football video game history. Press X to execute it. A well timed stiff arm knocks any defender six ways from Sunday. It takes some practice to get said timing down, but once you do, you can theoretically take the slowest player in the game 100 yards for a touchdown. 

Lastly, the teams you face in the playoffs all take steroids and move super effin fast. The same techniques work, but you have very little room for error. Whoever you play in the Super Bowl will have a team full of insanely fast robots. Don't punt, don't kick field goals, and try your damndest to kick deep on kickoffs. Your punts and FGs will always get blocked, and if the return man comes out of the endzone, he will almost surely return it for a TD. Keeping the kickoff in the center of the field helps with this.

That's about all there is to it. You win with defense, so it doesn't really matter who you pick, as the defensive playbooks are all the same. The Redskins are the best team in my experience, though. Your playbook matters more than your players, so experiment and find a style you can tolerate. Have fun playing one of the worst football games ever made!

Thanks for writing. I apologize for the delay in responding to your email during this busy time of year.
In regard to your email, it is great to hear that you have found a copy of Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64. Perfect dark was a first person shooter game that was released in May of 2000. I personally enjoyed this game a lot during my mid-teen years since it allows for up to four players to play at one time. All the Perfect Dark cartridges were black.

I hope this information is what you are looking for.

-
Response I received from Nintendo customer support when I asked if they knew any thing about a black Perfect Dark cart.

Edited: 02/21/2018 at 07:33 PM by link463

Feb 21, 2018 at 12:18:51 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
I'm overdue for adding these updates. And I have about 20 more games I should probably write up. I'll get it to later today or tomorrow

Thank you

Feb 21, 2018 at 12:48:51 PM
bronzeshield (44)
(P. ) < Lolo Lord >
New York
RPM Racing - There's no reason to race every track -- pick the one where you can reliably finish #1 every time and stick with that; there's an excellent guide on GameFAQs that will help a lot in that department. Remember that the game only saves when you go up or down a level. Always grind until you can afford the best available upgrades, ideally with plenty of cash left over. Save enough money to allow you to skip the final set of tracks entirely. Oil slicks are largely useless; nitrous is crucial later on. Shortcuts are abundant in tracks that cross over themselves.

Tommy Moe's Skiing/Snowboarding - You'll have to leave your console on for a while to beat Freeride mode. Some alternate routes are available but pay careful attention to the map -- you don't want to be sent backwards by taking the wrong path. Every turn slows you down, so go straight as much as possible, especially in later levels where the checkpoints are very close together. When the hills start flailing you up and down it's often best to stay put and slow down. Learn what the color changes at the top of the screen mean. Memorization is everything. Mercifully, the last course is easier than the next-to-last one.

Edited: 02/21/2018 at 01:00 PM by bronzeshield

Feb 21, 2018 at 7:35:35 PM
link463 (25)
< Eggplant Wizard >
Kansas
I edited the SPAF section. I can't believe I forgot to mention the stiff arm. It's seriously up there with the metal blades in Mega Man 2 as one of the most OP attacks in video game history.

Thanks for writing. I apologize for the delay in responding to your email during this busy time of year.
In regard to your email, it is great to hear that you have found a copy of Perfect Dark for the Nintendo 64. Perfect dark was a first person shooter game that was released in May of 2000. I personally enjoyed this game a lot during my mid-teen years since it allows for up to four players to play at one time. All the Perfect Dark cartridges were black.

I hope this information is what you are looking for.

-
Response I received from Nintendo customer support when I asked if they knew any thing about a black Perfect Dark cart.