NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Looking for technical information for carts

Aug 23, 2006 at 6:49:31 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
A while back, I saw a site that existed very temporarily that allowed a user with a CopyNES to upload board and mapper information to the site. This allowed the site to track all technical variations for a cart, such as board, mapper, etc.

If anyone knows who owned that site (or knows the person), I'd really like to get in contact with him to see if he'd be willing to help us out here.

Also, if anyone would like to help out with gathering (or sending me) the data that tells which carts use which mappers, boards, etc, I'd love to add that to the site as well. I'm wanting to build a very detailed technical information section for each game, and if you have ideas for other information that might be useful, post it here.

-Dain

Aug 26, 2006 at 7:32:29 AM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
I know the site you're talking about, but also can't recall the name of the webmaster. There should still be a thread on NESWorld where the guy advertised his website.

As for extra information for the games, not necessarily technical, but what about little details like the 5-digit numbers on the inside of the back page of most manuals (with notes on the product code of the manuals, i.e. *, -1, -2, etc)? I don't think there's too many variants of those out there anyway. The same could also be done for the numbers on the boxes' flaps, but for those I believe there are quite a few variations.

Also, what about manual and box variations when there is no cartridge/label variation? Will those be added to game pages or will they have their own gamepage?

Aug 26, 2006 at 8:46:28 AM
NationalGameDepot (279)
(Dr. NGD) < Bonk >
Tennessee
Here is the guys profile on NESworld. His screen name is Bootgod. Worth a shot, I doubt he will be willing to help but you never know.
BootGOD
~~NGD

-------------------------
Proud replier of post #1000 in the infamous Joel thread

Aug 26, 2006 at 10:41:12 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
I'll see if I can contact him... worth a shot anyway.

Speedy,

The variations you're talking about -- I've got the variations "engine" coming, and it will have lots of things, such as:

1.) Back page manual numbers
2.) Cart-back label variations
3.) Cart-back region codes
4.) Cart-back imprinted numbers
5.) Cart-back revisions (A, B, etc)
6.) Manual variations (IDs, and cosmetic)
7.) Box variations (IDs, hangtabs, sticker seals, and cosmetic)
8.) Box tab information (for PAL games)
9.) Seal variations (carts and boxes)
10.) Cart label variations (IDs, and cosmetic)
11.) Cart-to-pak variations (3 screws vs. 5 screws, etc)

...and anything else I can think of or is recommended.

As you can imagine, the "engine" that drives that beast is faily complicated, but I'm making huge progress with it. I decided I wasn't going to add it to the site until I "got it right".

-Dain

Edited: 08/26/2006 at 10:41 AM by Dain

Aug 26, 2006 at 6:18:41 PM
Speedy_NES (158)
(< Pieter >) < Kraid Killer >
Belgium
Wow, much more than I expected, awesome! You definitely have all the ends covered

I'll try and help out as much as I can with variant info, especially for PAL games. I already made an excel sheet with the 5digit numbers from all of my NTSC manual dupes, and will be adding the codes from the manuals in my collection soon as well. I'll send you the file once that's done.

Good luck with finishing the variation engine!

Aug 26, 2006 at 7:32:04 PM
Hounder (0)
(David Pendergast) < Meka Chicken >
Illinois
Dang....that's alot of variants o.O Good luck on that man. I don't even see how it would possible to find/list all those. Can't wait to see it all though

Btw, are you going to have pics of all these variants if possible?

Hi, my name is David Pendergast, aka:

Jesse Jones
Philip Varney

I scammed people on NintendoAge a while back. Since then, I've been unwelcome. Do not do business with me!

Aug 27, 2006 at 6:30:05 AM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
North Carolina
I've added the ability to attach a picture to any variation, so I suppose it's possible. I don't think it would be necessary for variations like the numbers on the back manual page, but the option is there. For most cosmetic variations, there will definitely be pictures.

-Dain

Feb 8, 2007 at 3:43:58 PM
WERY (0)
(Johan L) < Eggplant Wizard >
Sweden
If you need more help you can join this swedish site, www.nesdb.se... and ask the webmaster there. I am sure he can help you with ots of information about mappers and more

The Duce
Brother of Bros

My NES Collection
Goin' for a complete USA licensed collection on the NES