Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Closed SNES Monthly Contest: April - Killer Instinct + Total Carnage Winners - MrPeaPod + MrPeaPod

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:15:02 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
Thank you, I will try to confirm real fast, but I have updated the rules.  How do you make the credits roll?

-------------------------

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 04/04/2017 at 10:16 PM by Brock Landers

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:24:33 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Okay, the game DOES track high score. Just doesn't display it during the matches for some stupid reason. Updating rules for the final time.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:38:32 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
just to clarify..... play till you lose is 2 life bars right? like lose a whole match?

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:29:58 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
"There is a screen that will display your score, your winning streak, and both. Try to capture the screen with both, though it does not stick around for long."

You will make my life so easier if you would accept screen shots rather than pics this month. It is already time wasting to wait for such screen, and taking a pic on the fly (you cannot pause the hi score screen) there is the risk that is a bad (not readable) picture (and then you have to wait that the screen displays again to take another one), while taking a screen shot it is just about pressing one button and it is 100% sure it is readable. If a picture is a must, I will, no complains; but for time saving sake, a screen shot would be easier. I will input "NA" for initial, so you know the score it is about this tournament.

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:41:54 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: mbd39

Originally posted by: Brock Landers

So... Is it still possible to play KI for the contest since the score resets after every fight?
Wow, you're right. What a piece of shit. I'll figure something out. I have one more day until my twins are born so I'll study youtube tomorrow at work and see what I can come up with

It's a decent fighting game just not for playing for high score.

I checked and both arcade and SNES versions reset your score to 0 after every fight. I'm not sure why it was designed this way.

Originally posted by: Gloves

Okay, in Killer Instinct I win a match, it has me enter my initials, and the next match my score is 0. What? Someone please explain how the hell the scoring works in this game?

This happens to me as well.

Unfortunately I don't think this game is playable for a high score contest unless it's going to be your high score after the first fight.

Uhm... I start to have a doubt: can it be that the score *resets* in the beginning of each fight, to show you how many points you made in such fight, but in the high score screen *maybe* there is somewhere a sum of points made during your whole winning streak? Can someone more familiar with the score system of this game 100% exclude that this sum exists somewhere in such screens? I am just wondering why the game should not keep track of the score of the whole winning streak, and only of single matches. It is quite weird.

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:29:15 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Originally posted by: user

"There is a screen that will display your score, your winning streak, and both. Try to capture the screen with both, though it does not stick around for long."

You will make my life so easier if you would accept screen shots rather than pics this month. It is already time wasting to wait for such screen, and taking a pic on the fly (you cannot pause the hi score screen) there is the risk that is a bad (not readable) picture (and then you have to wait that the screen displays again to take another one), while taking a screen shot it is just about pressing one button and it is 100% sure it is readable. If a picture is a must, I will, no complains; but for time saving sake, a screen shot would be easier. I will input "NA" for initial, so you know the score it is about this tournament.

Just take the picture. Its the way it is. 

Bust a Move was the same thing. Screen scrolls. Get a picture be ready. Screenshots are not allowed.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:48:36 PM
MrPeaPod (0)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
If you push left and select at any time during the title sequence it will go straight to the high scores

Check out my game collection here:
https://collection.gamevaluenow.c...

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:25:07 PM
MrPeaPod (0)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
  • Please submit a pic of the high score screen that appears if you wait long enough at the title screen.  You must win several fights in order to crack the high scores.  There is a screen that will display your score, your winning streak, and both.  Try to capture the screen with both, though it does not stick around for long.

I posted pictures of both screens. 

The one that is blue is for the winning streak
The second one in red isn't streak and high score but actually best combo and high score for that combo

Edited: 04/05/2017 at 10:25 PM by MrPeaPod

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:37:18 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >
Originally posted by: MrPeaPod

If you push left and select at any time during the title sequence it will go straight to the high scores

This will make my life so easier! Thanks!  
Originally posted by: quest4nes

Just take the picture. Its the way it is.

Of, course, now that we know how to see that screen, no big deal in time wasting for a picture.

I'll likely have some time this week to (hopefully) raise my level a bit, I don't know if I will after so long, but I plan on getting back somewhat closer my past levels. I doubt that I will defeat Eyedol (this would require way more playing that what my free time is), but I hope to at least have decent run by the end of the month; by the way, I am curious now to see how many will defeat Eyedol at least once!

Good luck to everyone.

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:42:42 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I guess nobody else cares about Total Carnage.

Luck is a major factor in this game with random item drops such as weapons, speed boosts and extra lives. The amount of on screen enemies gets so ridiculous that you almost have to luck into snagging a lot of extra lives to have a chance at a decent score. Or maybe I just suck. I dunno.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:47:43 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Luck is a major factor in this game with random item drops such as weapons, speed boosts and extra lives. The amount of on screen enemies gets so ridiculous that you almost have to luck into snagging a lot of extra lives to have a chance at a decent score. Or maybe I just suck. I dunno.

I love Total Carnage. Need to pick up a copy for SNES, though. Otherwise I'm on emulator and I still hate doing that.

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:51:24 AM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
I played total carnage last weekend. First boss was ridiculous

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:51:33 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Gloves

I love Total Carnage. Need to pick up a copy for SNES, though. Otherwise I'm on emulator and I still hate doing that.

I just checked and it's one of the cheaper SNES carts.

I don't love it enough to want to own it though. Emulation is fine for me.

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:00:01 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >

Strangely enough I think that is the only boss besides the final one(s)

Stryphos. Can you update the KI rules based on Pea's findings?

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:02:04 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

I don't think that I even reached the first boss.

Apr 6, 2017 at 3:09:16 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas

I don't think that I even reached the first boss.

there is a warp or two to get to him early in the level. Though you wont get the points. But I dont know if I could live long enough to beat him otherwise.

Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:44:48 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
You're playing to game over right? Not just the first credit.

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:14:39 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

You're playing to game over right? Not just the first credit.

First credit. I didn't know I could use continues. Damn.

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:44:44 AM
MrPeaPod (0)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to compete this month so I thought I'd try to get some early benchmarks out there.  Killer instinct and Total carnage updated.

I wasn't sure which high score screen we are using for killer instinct, since one is round high score and the other is combo high score so I posted pictures of both.

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:49:06 AM
MrPeaPod (0)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
I'd like to nominate Orcus as the coolest boss in any video game I have played. He is a straight up beast!!

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:35:57 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

I wasn't sure which high score screen we are using for killer instinct, since one is round high score and the other is combo high score so I posted pictures of both.

So it is confirmed that the score does not reset, correct?
I mean, in the score screen it is the sum of points in all the fights in the streak. (?)

Now I think we really need to know if longest winning streak wins or better score wins.
Rule say "progress", which makes perfect sense to me, and which I think it means the longer winning streak in these score screens; but this decision was taken because someone said that the points score would reset after each fight. So now that we know that this is not the case, I mean if it is confirmed that we have a sum of point in one of such screens, what now? We still play for progress, right? Or not?

I mean, do we play for how far we get, ie. longer streak (with score points being the tiebreaker); or we play for points scored (with the longer streak being the tiebreaker)?

Also, from your pictures, why are the scores in the round high-score screen different from the scores in the combo high-score screen? Unless the last picture (combo screen) was from your previous post, of course.

Whatever it is perfectly fine with me, I simply wish to know the final rules for sure, before my next attempt, if this is possible.  

Thanks everyone.  

Edit: corrected few sentences, better formatting.

Edited: 04/08/2017 at 06:48 AM by user

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:10:54 AM
MrPeaPod (0)
< Meka Chicken >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: user

So it is confirmed that the score does not reset, correct?
I mean, in the score screen it is the sum of points in all the fights in the streak. (?)

Now I think we really need to know if longest winning streak wins or better score wins.
Rule say "progress", which makes perfect sense to me, and which I think it means the longer winning streak in these score screens; but this decision was taken because someone said that the points score would reset after each fight. So now that we know that this is not the case, I mean if it is confirmed that we have a sum of point in one of such screens, what now? We still play for progress, right? Or not?

I mean, do we play for how far we get, ie. longer streak (with score points being the tiebreaker); or we play for points scored (with the longer streak being the tiebreaker)?

Also, from your pictures, why are the scores in the round high-score screen different from the scores in the combo high-score screen? Unless the last picture (combo screen) was from your previous post, of course.

Whatever it is perfectly fine with me, I simply wish to know the final rules for sure, before my next attempt, if this is possible.  

Thanks everyone.  

Edit: corrected few sentences, better formatting.

-From what I've seen, the score screen is not cummulative. It is your best high score from a single fight. 

-
My combo high score and single fight high score were taken from the same fight. The combo high score was just from the 20 hit combo. The round high score was the 20 hit combo + the rest of the fight.

I mean, do we play for how far we get, ie. longer streak (with score points being the tiebreaker)
-
This is how the scoring for the snes competition is currently set up and I think it is the way that it should be kept. It just needs to be clarified if it should be the combo high score to be used as a tie breaker or a single match high score. The current rules aren't too clear about it but I am assuming that the single match high score would be the tie breaker.

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:32:40 AM
user (6)

< El Ripper >

-
My combo high score and single fight high score were taken from the same fight. The combo high score was just from the 20 hit combo. The round high score was the 20 hit combo + the rest of the fight.

I mean, do we play for how far we get, ie. longer streak (with score points being the tiebreaker)
-
This is how the scoring for the snes competition is currently set up and I think it is the way that it should be kept. It just needs to be clarified if it should be the combo high score to be used as a tie breaker or a single match high score. The current rules aren't too clear about it but I am assuming that the single match high score would be the tie breaker.

Thanks. Everything clear. And, of course, I fully agree on the underlined part. The scoring system proposed by this game, is so arbitrary, confusing and weird, that even now that I (kind of, I hope so) understand it, it makes little sense to me. Definitely streak is the only parameter we can use for main goal in the competition, with the high score (in which screen to be decided) to be just a tiebreaker.
Thanks for taking your time to answer me, very appreciated!  

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:57:00 AM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Let's do single match high score as tiebreaker. I might be able to edit from a computer tonight

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:41:40 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
That boss is ridiculous. I reached him with several credits and still couldn't do it. How many freaking hits does he take???