Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2017 Weekly Contests Presents: Double Dragon 2 Contest ends Sunday, 3/19/17 at 11 PM NA time

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:48:30 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Next weekend I will record it to post it here.
It was... tough. And an 8K run is possible if someone who isn't as bad as video games as me tries it.
I landed too damn many 100 points uppers and a super upper. One could easily cut 1K points from my run.

Congratulations on the awesome score! You really earned that low score title!

-------------------------
2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:59:00 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
When I hosted Super Mario Kart, the TG records were smashed. But they were still light year's away from the records on some SMK-centric site

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:19:45 PM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Originally posted by: Bea_Iank

Next weekend I will record it to post it here.
It was... tough. And an 8K run is possible if someone who isn't as bad as video games as me tries it.
I landed too damn many 100 points uppers and a super upper. One could easily cut 1K points from my run.

Congratulations on the awesome score! You really earned that low score title!

Thanks. It is one of the very few scores I am actually happy with, since I put so much effort learning he AI patterns and how to exploit it's weakness to kill enemies without scoring points or scoring as few as possible.
I reached my plateau and couldn't possible get much lower without putting a lot more of time on it, since the points to be lost are due to my mistakes and poor input timing, causing hyper attacks to trigger and hit.
For now I hold on the title till they host it again and someone else scores an 8K final score.  

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 01:21 PM by Bea_Iank

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:21:07 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: Brock Landers

When I hosted Super Mario Kart, the TG records were smashed. But they were still light year's away from the records on some SMK-centric site

Oh yeah. I would hope they would be considering that's pretty much all that they play.

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:36:11 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: guillavoie

Originally posted by: mbd39

Originally posted by: guillavoie

While I completely agree that we have material for 'breaking records' in the weekly contest, let's not forget that Twin Galaxies hardly count for 'serious' records in a lot of instances. Most of the biggest scores/runs are on youtube and twitch, and when a game is not popular the scores on TG are usually a big joke.

I believe Brock beat the RoadBlasters "world record" his first time playing the game. That actually impresses me because of how difficult rally 42 is.

It is still a great feat to make this on his first run, but at the same time, you don't break a 'serious' record if you can do it on your first run.

The players here are awesome, no question here, but the comparison with loosy TG records is not a great metric to prove it.
I think he was just saying that proves how unserious they are.  I got 6th place or something in Roadblasters

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 01:37 PM by Brock Landers

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:43:48 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Hey Brock, that's really unfortunate that you didn't get a picture of your winning score on time. Simply beating the game would have been enough for 7th.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:49:50 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
It's my fault for not reviewing the game overview. I was so incredulous that I beat it that I froze up.  And then I couldn't even make it through the first 4 levels without dying on Sunday, despite that being a given on Friday.  And then on my final, final attempt I died all three times on the gears, which is something I've never done.  Shows you how much psychology plays a part in "being in the zone."  That or I too require a very specific BAC to get the most out of myself like Bea.

I'll make up those two points late in the season somewhere. Much easier to place when we have 15 competitors and only 1 of them is familar with the game.  Still banking on 16 seed playoff.

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 01:56 PM by Brock Landers

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:01:30 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado

It's my fault for not reviewing the game overview. I was so incredulous that I beat it that I froze up.  And then I couldn't even make it through the first 4 levels without dying on Sunday, despite that being a given on Friday.  And then on my final, final attempt I died all three times on the gears, which is something I've never done.  Shows you how much psychology plays a part in "being in the zone."  That or I too require a very specific BAC to get the most out of myself like Bea.

I'll make up those two points late in the season somewhere. Much easier to place when we have 15 competitors and only 1 of them is familar with the game.  Still banking on 16 seed playoff.

Barring a tragedy of sorts, I fully plan on playing all season 😝

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:36:01 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
(SanitaryNonAvengerRules ) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

I spent 15-20 minutes playing and earned the same amount of points man just remember that.

It's my strategy this year, if we happen to play a game I am already good at that is just a bonus.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:49:43 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Originally posted by: JerToxieRules

I spent 15-20 minutes playing and earned the same amount of points man just remember that.

It's my strategy this year, if we happen to play a game I am already good at that is just a bonus.

I understand that.  I did that with several titles already, and I'll be doing it another ten or twenty times this year.  But I also have the goal of beating the games I have not beaten before.  Double Dragon II is one of those marquee titles on the system that everyone loves so I vowed to make sure that happened.  Of course I fucked up and briefly forgot I was also playing this for a 2nd reason. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:52:07 PM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario

Originally posted by: JerToxieRules

I understand that.  I did that with several titles already, and I'll be doing it another ten or twenty times this year.  But I also have the goal of beating the games I have not beaten before.  Double Dragon II is one of those marquee titles on the system that everyone loves so I vowed to make sure that happened.  Of course I fucked up and briefly forgot I was also playing this for a 2nd reason. 

Yeah I hear ya man, understandable.

It is pretty easy to predict what the top 8 scores will be within the first few days, or at least get a feel for what participation will be.

If I feel like I am going to have to just dump hours beyond hours to make it, I am not even going to waste my time.

Ayy yoo pizza bie!

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:10:58 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Originally posted by: AirVillain

Originally posted by: mbd39

There's an infinite lives trick at the train?

I also wondered this...

Low score, eh? Yeesh... some great low scores here. Well done everyone.

I just realized that I never addressed the infinite lives glitch at the train.  Here's how it works:

When the train first appears and you climb up it to make it stop, you have to have zero lives left.  You have to make sure you get hit by the top most steam blast and that it kills you as you fall on the left train belt.  If you do it correctly, your lives total will be glitched out and you will have infinite lives.  Here's a couple videos that show how to do it (the first one is the better of the two to watch):

I accidentally pulled this off many, many years ago when my brother and I were learning to master the game and I thought it was just a random glitch.  I ended up reading online later that it was an actual glitch in the game.  The only downside to when I pulled it off: we were playing the game on Warrior difficulty to practice some of the later levels, so I couldn't fully beat the game  

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:59:36 PM
AirVillain (15)
< King Solomon >
British Columbia
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

I accidentally pulled this off many, many years ago when my brother and I were learning to master the game and I thought it was just a random glitch.  I ended up reading online later that it was an actual glitch in the game.  The only downside to when I pulled it off: we were playing the game on Warrior difficulty to practice some of the later levels, so I couldn't fully beat the game  
Neat!

Never knew about that.

AirVillain    
"Way cool, dude!"

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:48:02 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Okay everyone, the moment you have all been waiting for, the thrilling conclusion to the Double Dragon 2 story.  We last saw Billy and Jimmy face off against Chin and a band of shadow warriors, with Billy getting his revenge on Chin for killing his girlfriend.  However, as the two brothers moved on through the mansion, they suddenly ran across Marian, who appeared to be alive and well.  Or is it just an illusion?  What sort of obstacles will they run across as they reach the last leg of their journey?  Will they survive and get Marian back, or will they perish at the hands of a great and powerful enemy?  And where the heck has Bo Abobo been this whole time?  We last saw him at the beginning of the story in the alley with Chin.  Read on to find out.  Enjoy!

I could hardly believe my eyes as I stared at Marian standing ahead of us in the hallway, alive and well without so much as a scratch on her.  A whirlwind of emotions washed over me in a matter of seconds and everything felt so surreal and dream-like.  I felt intense happiness that the love of my life was alive.  I felt great sadness as I remembered the night she died in my arms and feeling completely helpless that I could not save her.  I felt unspeakable anger at those who had killed her and left my life in complete shambles.  I felt great fear that this was all somehow a big ruse to lure Jimmy and I into a trap.  “It's impossible, it can't be her” I heard Jimmy shout out skeptically as he stared at her suspiciously.  “Ma...Marian” I called out to my girlfriend, a tear of joy running down my cheek at just being able to see her beautiful face.  But something wasn't quite right about her.  Marian just stood there completely motionless without showing any sort of emotion.  Her eyes stared straight ahead with the same hollowness as the shadow warriors Jimmy and I had fought just moments before.  “Marian, baby, it's me, Billy” I called out as my voice cracked slightly, a knot of fear forcing its way through my stomach.  She didn't reply to me at all and continued to stare at us with the same blank, expressionless face.  “Marian, say something to me” I said to her nervously, afraid that maybe something was actually wrong with her.  I couldn't take this awful silence anymore and I began to walk toward her.  Suddenly, Jimmy's hand shot out and grabbed me by the arm, holding me back from getting to Marian.  I turned my head and glared at him angrily, not wanting to be kept from getting to her.  “Billy, I don't like the looks of this” Jimmy replied seriously as he stared hard into my eyes.  “Don't go near her.”  I scoffed angrily at my brother's words, completely blown away that he would say something of that nature about my girlfriend.  I tried to pull away from his grip, but he just tightened his grasp on my arm, staring at me with serious eyes.  “Get your hand off me” I growled at my brother as I struggled to break free from him.  “Billy, I'm telling you, don't go near her” Jimmy commanded as he tried to fight my resistance.  “There's something not right about this.  I think it's a trap.”  Not wanting to be held back from Marian any longer, I shoved my brother roughly and he released his grip on my arm.  He tried to grab me by the arm again, but I quickly evaded his reach and moved fast toward Marian.  “Billy, don't you touch her” I could hear my brother shout angrily from behind me as I closed in on her.  I didn't care what he said, I just wanted to hold Marian in my arms once again and not let go.  She didn't flinch or bat an eye as I stood before her, the emotionless look still on her face.  “Marian, baby, it's me” I smiled warmly as I reached out to hug her.  As I put my arms around her, she vanished into thin air and I staggered forward, almost losing my balance as I attempted to hug the empty air that had been an illusion of my girlfriend just moments before.  Suddenly, the lights in the corridor went out and Jimmy and I were left standing in complete darkness.  A low, menacing laugh began to echo down the hallway, much like the one we had heard when we first entered the mansion.  It was the laugh of the Shadow Master.  “You didn't really think you could get Marian back that easily, did you” I heard the Shadow Master's voice boom as he continued to laugh.  Two sconces suddenly lit up at the far end of the hallway on either side of an open doorway, an obvious invitation to enter the room beyond.  “Come this way” the Shadow Master ordered us.  “I will be waiting.”

I hung my head in shame as Jimmy and I walked toward the room, beating myself up inside for letting the Shadow Master trick me into thinking that Marian was actually alive and standing before us.  “I'm sorry I didn't listen to you” I said to my brother without even looking at him as I fought back tears.  “Don't worry about it” Jimmy replied as we passed through the doorway.  The room we entered looked like something out of a church.  Huge, impressively carved stone pillars adorned both sides of the room and the windows were nothing but several different beautiful shades of purple stained glass.  An impressive altar sat between both pillars, lined with lit candelabras and covered with red cloth full of Japanese characters and designs.  A stone carving of a man depicted as some sort of deity hung from the wall between the stained glass windows as I noticed a closed door on the far side of the room.  On the altar ahead, I noticed a body lying there as if it were going to be part of a funeral or sacrifice.  As I looked more closely at the body, I realized it was Marian, her eyes closed tightly and her arms folded across her chest.  She looked so peaceful lying on the altar and the light in the room made her look almost angelic.  I was so overcome with emotion, that I couldn't speak a word.  All I could do was grab Jimmy by the arm and point at the altar.  “Jim...Jim...Jimmy...look” I finally managed to sputter.  “It's...Ma...Ma...Marian!”  My brother, who had been gazing around the room looking for potential ambush positions, turned his attention to what I was pointing at.  His eyes went wide with surprise, not expecting to see Marian's corpse lying on the altar.  But she was there and I knew she was real, her beautiful auburn hair perfectly brushed, her lips ruby red from her favorite lipstick, her body still clothed in the same red dress the night she was murdered.  I knew deep down inside that she was not an illusion this time.  Jimmy's look of surprise quickly turned to one of caution and he held me back as I tried to make my way over to her body.  “Don't do it” my brother warned as I stopped dead in my tracks, remembering what happened the last time I did not listen to him.  “The Shadow Master tricked us with Marian just seconds ago and I'm sure he will try to do it again.”  Realizing Jimmy was right and not wanting to repeat the same mistake I made in the hallway outside the room, I resisted the urge to approach the altar and wrap my arms around Marian's body.  Suddenly, a tall man with broad shoulders and a muscular frame materialized in front of the altar, his head bowed as if he were praying.  His long, greased-back hair gleamed in the light as he slowly lifted his head to look at us, pushing the deep red cape he wore over one shoulder.  An evil smile slowly spread across his face as he stared hard at us.  I knew right away that this had to be the Shadow Master, the source of all the pain and grief that had been brought into my life over the past few weeks.  “Hello, Double Dragons” the Shadow Master greeted in a low, deep voice.  “I have been expecting you.”

Anger and rage began to course through my body as “revenge” started to pulsate in my head again at the sight of the enemy before us.  I clenched my fists tightly as Jimmy and I took a few steps away from each other, preparing ourselves for an inevitable fight.  “Revenge” pounded through my mind so hard that it gave me a headache, but I ignored the pain.  At this moment in time, I had to ignore it and I couldn't let it make me let my guard down.  I was about ready to partake in the greatest fight of my life against an enemy that had taken so much from me.  I was either going to die or kill the Shadow Master and emerge victorious and win back the life of Marian, according to Hiruko's prophecy.  But there was no way I would allow myself to die.  It was not an option and winning was the only acceptable outcome.  I would not be beaten in my revenge for Marian.  I would kill the Shadow Master today, much like I had done against all the other Black Warriors.  “The two of you have done well to make it this far” the Shadow Master said to Jimmy and I, the tone in his voice almost one of admiration.  “No one has ever gotten this deep into my mansion and lived to tell about it.  I have not encountered warriors with skills such as yours in many, many years and you are indeed powerful fighters.  Very, very powerful.  But your skills pale in comparison to my Shadow Magic.  I have spent many years studying its unique properties and embracing its arcane power, allowing it to flow through my body and give me incredible strength that men could only dream about.  With these powers, I could roll over armies with ease, conquer nations with one swift stroke, and bring mankind to its knees.  I could rule the world.”  “Is that what all those crates were about back on the helipad” Jimmy shouted angrily to the Shadow Master.  The evil warrior chuckled heartily as a smirk spread across his face.  “That's only the tip of the iceberg” the Shadow Master answered as he folded his arms across his chest.  “My skill with Shadow Magic is so powerful that I can summon illusions anywhere I please.  All I need to do is put an explosive in their hands, project them into a government building, and defeat my adversaries with ease.  Before too long, I will have control over every major political power in the world and there is nothing that will be able to stop me.”  “Revenge” continued to shout through my head as I listened to the Shadow Master continue on about his plot for world domination.  Not wanting to hear another word, I shouted out “Our skills are more powerful than you think.  We will defeat you.”

The Shadow Master just laughed at my words as he unfolded his arms and pointed a finger at me.  “Billy Lee” he said mockingly.  “I didn't take too well to your hockey team beating my Abobos just a few weeks ago.  I have never lost a battle, be it in hand-to-hand combat or something as innocent as a sporting event.  I do not lose, period.  And your showboating and cocky behavior after the win was unacceptable and simply a dagger to the heart, so I decided I needed to teach you a lesson.  And I think I taught you quite the lesson.  I used my Shadow Magic to follow you in the darkness, watching your every move for a couple weeks, looking to see how I could strike back at you in the most horrible and evil way possible.  That way was taking the life of your girlfriend, Marian, the one thing that you cherished the most in the world.  And took that from you I did and I will never regret that.”  The Shadow Master's words tore brutally through my heart, my breathing becoming heavier by the second as I fought back a mix of rage and sorrow.  “Revenge” ripped through my head so loudly and so powerfully that I could hear nothing else, not even the threats that Jimmy hurled toward our adversary.  I felt as if my sanity was finally going to crack, but if I was going to defeat the Shadow Master, I needed to keep my wits about me and not have a mental breakdown.  I needed to avenge Marian's death.  I needed to get revenge on him.  I needed to kill him, tonight.  Forcing myself to regain my senses, I stared angrily ahead at the Shadow Master, ready to finish all of this once and for all.  “I will kill you” I shouted sincerely at him.  “You are going to die right here, tonight, by my hand.  I WILL have my revenge.”  All the shadow warrior could do was laugh mockingly at my death threat, as if I said I was going to defeat a tank with a pellet gun.  “This is the end of the line, Double Dragons” the Shadow Master snarled as he threw his cape from his shoulders, the garment slowly floating to the floor.  “You are no match for me or my illusions.  You both will feel defeat.”  Suddenly, everything in the room began to weave back and forth, as if Jimmy and I were experiencing some sort of psychedelic drug trip.  As everything straightened itself out, I discovered that we were no longer in the room with the altar and purple stained glass windows.  Instead, we found ourselves standing underneath a black, starry sky, a giant set of evil, red eyes staring down at us on either side of a stone demon statue, the head being that of the Shadow Master.  Purple fire burned brightly in the background as Jimmy and I gazed around this haunting and ethereal place looking for our adversary.  “Where are we” I exclaimed as I stared in awe at our surroundings.  “This is just an illusion” Jimmy answered quickly as he waited for the Shadow Master to attack us.  “None of this is real.”  Suddenly, the Shadow Master appeared before us, his hands clenched into fists, obviously ready to fight us.  “Now I will show you both what real power is” the Black Warrior leader exclaimed loudly and angrily as he prepared himself for the fight.  “Let's go, shadow warrior” I shouted to our enemy as the two of us charged forward at him.

The Shadow Master was unlike any warrior I had ever fought, his skill beating out those of the illusions Jimmy and I had faced earlier in our travels through the mansion.  He was incredibly agile, fast, powerful, and just strong overall as he moved on us quickly.  Before Jimmy and I could even react, he was already doing back flip after back flip, ending the moves with a powerful kick as he braced himself on the ground with both hands.  I managed to dodge the attack, but Jimmy was not so lucky.  The Shadow Master hit him in the middle of the chest with both feet, sending my brother flying backward across the arena with incredible force.  He hit the ground roughly on his side, coughing in pain as he staggered to his feet.  The Shadow Master flipped himself back onto his feet and then quickly leaped through the air, hitting me in the face with a roundhouse punch.  I flew backward and hit the ground next to Jimmy's feet, my brother pulling me up hastily as our adversary rushed toward us once again.  He caught Jimmy with a couple quick jabs to the face and I immediately countered with a spin kick.  The Shadow Master dodged my attack with ease, back-flipping across the mysterious arena until he was a good distance from us.  As he stood staring ahead at us, an evil smile spread across his face as he disappeared.  Jimmy and I took up defensive stances as we gazed around the arena, anticipating where he might reappear as his booming laughter echoed eerily around us.  “Find me if you can, Double Dragons” his voice taunted us from an unseen location.

“Be ready for anything” Jimmy commanded as we scanned the area for anything out of the ordinary.  The Shadow Master's skill with Shadow Magic was quite impressive and it wouldn't have surprised me if there were aspects of it we had not seen yet.  Suddenly, I felt myself rise up into the air a couple of feet, the front of my shirt bunched up as if someone had a strong, tight grip on it.  At first confused as to what was happening, I quickly realized that the invisible Shadow Master had grabbed a hold of the front of my shirt and had hoisted me into the air.  Before I could even defend myself, I felt a strong punch delivered into my stomach and I coughed loudly from the blow.  The next thing I knew, I was tossed across the arena, landing hard on my back.  I watched from the ground as Jimmy looked back and forth, trying to guess as to which direction the Shadow Master would attack him.  Taking a gamble, my brother jumped high in the air and performed a spin kick.  His aim was true and I heard the Shadow Master groan in pain as he rematerialized and flew backward from the blow.  He recovered from the attack fairly quickly and began back-flipping toward Jimmy once again.  My brother dodged out of the way as the warrior performed another back-flip kick and Jimmy soon made his way to my side, pulling me from the ground.  As the Shadow Master charged forward to us, I could hear “revenge” starting to throb in my head again.  Knowing full well what I needed to do to feed the insatiable hunger gnawing at my psyche, I threw a knee attack at our incoming enemy.  My knee ended up connecting with his face just above the right eye and he flew backward across the arena, landing roughly on his back.  As our adversary laid on the ground groaning in pain, the starry sky and purple fire began to weave back and forth, much like the altar room did when the Shadow Master created the mysterious arena.  Suddenly, we found ourselves back in the altar room with everything as it was before.  The Shadow Master slowly climbed to his feet, staggering a few times as he stood up.  Blood trickled down his face from where I had hit him and he put a hand against the wound.  He examined the blood in his hand and then looked up at us, a shocked look on his face that his illusion had been disrupted.  “No...no one has ever destroyed one...one of my illusions” he growled furiously as he shook the daze and pain from his head.  “It's time to end you Double Dragons once and for all.”  He rushed forward at us, a malicious look burning brightly in his dark, evil eyes.  As I prepared to hit him with another knee attack, he jumped in the air and performed another one of those flying roundhouse punches, striking me in the side of the head.  My vision blurred as I recoiled from the punch and I fell backward, my entire world turning black just before my body hit the floor.

I wasn't entirely sure how long I had been lying unconscious on the floor, but it couldn't have been long based on the position of Jimmy and the Shadow Master.  The two of them were halfway across the room still locked in battle, blood still running fresh from the evil warrior's head wound as my brother countered his attacks.  Still groggy from the blow, I attempted to sit up but felt the room start spinning before me.  I shook the daze from my head and brought myself to one knee as I watched the fight drag on, hoping this brief rest would help me fully recover from the painful attack.  As Jimmy fought on, his defense suddenly slipped and the Shadow Master jabbed him in the face with a quick, powerful punch, dropping my brother to his knees.  I tried to jump completely to my feet to help get my brother out of danger, but the daze in my head brought me back down to one knee.  “Revenge” began screaming at me again, echoing through my mind as I watched the Shadow Master stand over Jimmy, an evil grin on his face.  He wrapped a hand around my brother's neck and hoisted him in the air as Jimmy struggled to breathe.  I felt rage begin to surge through my body as “revenge” continued to scream at me, as if it was motivating me to get to my feet to stop the evil warrior before he could choke the life out of my brother.  Revenge.  I suddenly remembered the knife I had used to kill Chin was still tucked in the waistband of my pants and I reached for it.  Revenge.  I clutched the weapon tightly in my hand, admiring the deadliness of it.  Revenge.  The blade gleamed brightly in the light of the room as I stared menacingly at the Shadow Master.  Revenge.  I turned my attention to Marian's corpse lying on the altar, her angelic beauty radiating from the light of the room.  Revenge.  I turned back toward my adversary, an insidious grin on his face as he continued to choke my brother.  Revenge.  The time had finally come.  Revenge.  It was time to fulfill my ultimate goal.  Revenge.  I could not be beaten at this point.  Revenge.  I would not be beaten.  Revenge.  I needed to kill.  Revenge.  It was time for me to complete my revenge.

The Shadow Master held Jimmy high in the air as he laughed menacingly, the same insidious smile emblazoned across his face while he stared at my brother like he were some sort of play thing.  Jimmy sputtered and coughed as he tried to break free from the man's beastly grip, his strength starting to wane in the process.  “It is time for you to die, Jimmy Lee” the evil warrior cackled as he stared into my brother's eyes.  “Any last words?”  Jimmy continued to sputter and cough, but was able to muster up enough strength to speak.  “Yeah” my brother answered weakly.  “It's time to fulfill the prophecy.”  The malicious smile on the Shadow Master's face quickly disappeared and was replaced with confusion, unsure of what Jimmy meant.  Suddenly, he understood what my brother meant and his eyes went wide with surprise.  Before he could turn around, I plunged the knife deep into his back and he howled in excruciating pain as he released his deathgrip on my brother.  The Shadow Master turned to face us and he staggered forward, the life within his body fading quickly from the mortal wound.  He dropped to one knee, breathing heavily as he tried to fight back death with all his strength.  Jimmy and I watched on as the Shadow Master clenched his fists and craned his head up into the air.  He screamed loudly in pain as blue energy began to erupt from his body, shooting straight up to the ceiling as if some magical source of power were being drained from him.  This lasted for several seconds and then stopped just as suddenly as it had started.  When the last of the energy had exited his body, the Shadow Master fell to the floor on his back and stared up at the ceiling weakly.  Jimmy and I slowly approached  the dying warrior and looked down upon him, his lips moving as if he were trying to say something before he perished.  I got down on one knee and listened closely as he spoke.  “Two...two dragons soared through...through the sky” the Shadow Master muttered weakly as he coughed.  “They stopped the...illusion...from...spreading.  The evil has...died.  Now...an...an...angel will...will...fall to...the Earth.”  The Shadow Master's head then rolled to one side, his entire body going limp in the process as I stood up nervously.  “What did he say” Jimmy asked seriously as I turned my attention to the altar.  “Marian” I said in a shaky voice as I ignored my brother's question and ran to where my girlfriend's corpse lie.

I could feel anxious hope building up within my chest as I approached the altar, my gaze fixated on Marian.  I could feel my heart pounding in my chest as the prophecy Hiruko spoke to me after Marian's funeral played itself out in my head: “If the illusion spreads, the evil will live again.  But if two dragons soar through the sky, an angel will fall to the Earth.”  Jimmy and I had defeated the Black Warriors, killing the Shadow Master in the process, and preventing them from unleashing attacks around the world with Shadow Magic.  We were the two dragons, soaring above all odds to defeat the enemy and save the world.  Now, it was time for an angel to come to Earth and bring Marian back to me.  My hands shook uncontrollably as I placed them on her shoulders and stared at her beautiful face while Jimmy joined me at my side.  “Marian” I said gently as I called out to her.  “Marian, it's me, Billy.”  She didn't respond and she continued to lie there on the altar motionless, her eyes still closed tightly.  I licked my dry lips nervously as I shook her gently by the shoulders, hoping it would rouse her from her eternal slumber.  “Marian, baby, it's Billy” I called out a little bit louder, unsure if I had been too quiet the first time.  She didn't stir one bit and I could feel fear and anxiety welling up within me as tears began to form in my eyes.  A million questions began racing through my mind as I thought back to the prophecy.  What if we hadn't completely stopped the Shadow Magic?  What if there was someone else out there that was the source of the magic and not the Shadow Master?  What if there was someone else in the world that we had to kill to eradicate its power?  What if I interpreted the prophecy wrong and the angel falling to Earth really meant bringing peace to the world?  What if Jimmy was right and the whole prophecy was complete crap?  What if Hiruko lied to me and used me to get her own petty revenge?  What if Marian wasn't going to come back to life and was truly dead?  Tears began to roll down my face faster as I shook her body a little bit harder, hoping, wishing, praying that she would wake up.  “Marian, wake up baby” I said with much sadness in my voice.  “Please, Marian, just wake up.”  Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Jimmy frown sadly, obviously upset at my increasing grief-stricken state.  “Marian, come back to me” I sobbed as I stared down at her lifeless face.  “Please, baby, come back to me.  Please!  I need you!  I need you so badly!  I...I can't live without you.  I love you so much, Marian.  Baby, please just come back to me.”  My efforts to rouse her were futile and she continued to lie there motionless on the altar.  As I stared down at her beautiful face, I felt a tear roll off my cheek and watched as it splashed down near her eye.  It rolled down the side of her face, and in the light of the room, made it look as if her lifeless body were somehow crying, completely and utterly saddened that her death had left me in such sorrow.  At that moment I lost all control and I buried my face against her body, crying loudly as I felt Jimmy put a hand on my shoulder reassuringly.  “I'm so sorry, baby” I sobbed uncontrollably.  “I thought I could bring you back, but the whole prophecy was just a bunch of bullshit!  I wanted to bring you back and I did everything I thought I could to bring you back to me.  I tried my best.  I tried my very, very best.  I even tried my best to save you that night in the alley.  I wasn't there when I should have been and they killed you.  I let you down, Marian.  And now you're gone forever.”  I knelt there against the altar with Marian's body in my arms for what seemed like an eternity as I cried loudly, scolding myself inside for believing Hiruko.  Suddenly, Jimmy's hand on my shoulder tightened and he shook me vigorously.  “Look, Billy, up above us” Jimmy exclaimed loudly as he continued to shake me.  “You gotta see this!”  I slowly lifted my head from Marian's body, my eyes red from crying and my face soaked from tears to see what my brother had gotten so excited about.  The look of sorrow on my face quickly turned to one of awe and hope as I stared at what would soon turn into the most joyful miracle I would ever experience.

High above the two of us, a glowing white light hovered against the ceiling as we stared on in awe at its brilliance and absolute beauty.  Without saying a word, we watched as the white light slowly lowered itself down from the ceiling and headed for the altar.  I felt intense happiness building up within me as the white light lowered itself down toward the one thing lying on the altar: Marian's body.  One thing kept racing through my mind as Jimmy and I continued to look on: the prophecy wasn't all bullshit.  I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, my hands shaking nervously, and my legs turn to rubber as the white light bathed itself across Marian's body.  It flashed brightly as it consumed her and then suddenly disappeared as if it had never been there in the first place.  I put a hand to Marian's cheek and stroked it gently as I stared at her face.  I could feel myself being overcome with joy as I saw her eyelids begin to twitch and her chest begin to rise up and down as air escaped her nose.  “Marian, baby, it's me, Billy” I said to her softly as I continued to stroke her cheek.  I looked on with tears of joy as she turned her head to me and her eyes slowly opened, the beautiful blue in them gradually being revealed.  As her eyes opened all the way, the most loving smile spread across her face as she saw me standing above her.  It was a smile I would never forget for the rest of my life.  “Billy” Marian said quietly and happily as if she could scarcely believe I was standing before her.  “Marian” I said lovingly as my voice cracked, trying not to break down and cry out of complete happiness.  “I knew you would come for me” she said in the same quiet tone, her strength obviously still returning, as she put a hand to my face.  She slowly sat up on the altar and I pulled her in close and kissed her for what felt like an eternity.  I had done what many would have thought impossible.  I rose to the occasion to avenge the death of the woman I loved, taking down an entire gang in the process who had embraced some of the strongest magic in the world.  I had gone from being a broken man to the happiest guy in the whole world.  I had succeeded in bringing Marian back to me.  I was now complete.

I helped Marian down off the altar, holding her as she steadied herself on shaky legs.  She looked me in the face and just smiled as we embraced, holding her tighter than I had ever done so in my life.  “Marian” I finally said after holding her in silence for several minutes.  “I did horrible things to people today to get here.  Horrible, terrible despicable things that I am not proud of.  I hurt people in ways you couldn't possibly imagine.  I...I...I killed people to save you.”  “It's okay, sweetheart” Marian whispered reassuringly as she stroked the back of my head.  “You did what you had to do.”  “I'm so truly and deeply sorry I let those guys get to you in the alley” I continued on, tears welling up in my eyes.  “I...I should have been faster.  I should have been able to protect you.  I should have been able to save your life.  I shouldn't have let them kill you.”  Marian released her hold on me and took my face gently in her hands, staring lovingly into my eyes.  “Billy, it's okay.  I forgive you” she said reassuringly.  “I know you did the best you could.  You ALWAYS do the best you can at everything.  That is one of the many qualities I admire and love about you.  Yes, something bad happened that night and we were horribly and brutally and unfairly taken away from each other.  But I feel like it was destined to happen.  I was meant to die that night in the alley and no matter how hard you tried, and I KNOW you tried your hardest, destiny would not allow you to save me.  The prophecy always spoke of resurrection, my resurrection.  Even though I died, I was ALWAYS meant to come back to you.  Even though you lost me that night, you were not going to lose me forever.  I love you so very, very much, Billy Lee, and with all my heart.”  “I love you so much, too, Marian” I said happily as I hugged Marian once again, tears running down my face.  “And I promise I will never, ever let anyone hurt you again.  I will always love you and protect you with all my heart.”  I felt Jimmy's gentle hand on my shoulder and I turned to face him.  He had the biggest smile on his face, one that showed he was incredibly proud of me, yet at the same time, was full of apology.  “I'm sorry I doubted you at times today, little brother” Jimmy apologized as he held back tears.  “I was skeptical of the whole prophecy because I'm not as strong a believer as you are in stuff like that.  But you never doubted it for a moment and you persevered and you got Marian back.  Plus, you saved my ass quite a few times today.  I'm proud of you.”  “Thanks big brother” I replied happily as I patted him on the back.  “You saved my ass a few times today, too.  I couldn't have gotten here without you.  I owe you so much for helping me get Marian back and I'll never forget what you did.”  At that moment, I grabbed Jimmy by the shoulder and pulled him toward Marian and I and the three of us embraced, all happy that the hard, perilous journey was finally at an end.  A sudden coughing from the middle of the room snapped me to attention and I turned to see where the noise came from.

“Touching” the Shadow Master said sarcastically in a weak voice as he coughed once again.  I was surprised that the evil warrior was not dead and I slowly approached his body, cautious that this could be some sort of trap.  Blood trickled from his mouth as he coughed some more, his face a pale, deathly color.  It was clear he would be dead soon and that he did not have the strength to do much more than talk.  “You Double Dragons may have defeated me and I will soon be dead, but the Shadow Magic is still strong with me” the Shadow Master said weakly.  “You will not leave here alive, I promise you that.  Farewell, Double Dragons.”  As he rolled his head to one side, I heard him speak some sort of ancient Japanese dialect, a weak yet evil smile spreading across his face as he did so.  He coughed once more and then closed his eyes for the final time, his body going limp in the process.  The Shadow Master was finally dead, but his final words were uncomfortably haunting.  I turned to Jimmy and Marian, looks of concern on both of their faces.  “What do you think he spoke” I asked my brother nervously, afraid we would be ambushed by some unseen Black Warriors.  I heard a loud rumble from somewhere deep within the mansion that gradually grew louder.  The room suddenly shook and the three of us nearly lost our balance and fell, Jimmy steadying Marian as she stumbled backward.  The rumbling grew louder as the room shook a second time, more violently this time than the first.  I could hear stone cracking as bits of one of the pillars broke free and hit the floor, sending a cloud of dust up into the air.  “The Shadow Master must have used his last bit of strength to use Shadow Magic to bring this place down” Jimmy shouted as the room shook violently again.  “We have to get out of here, now!”  As the three of us move to the entrance to the room, the doorway suddenly crumbled and huge pieces of stone blocked our escape route.  There would be no getting out that way.  I turned and noticed the door on the side wall and pointed toward it as I took Marian by the hand.  I had lost her once and I wasn't about ready to lose her again.  “That door, there.  It's the only way” I shouted as the room shook again, the stone mural above the altar breaking in half and crashing loudly to the floor.  The three of us rushed to the door and Jimmy flung it open with all his strength.  Behind the door we were greeted by nothing more than a metal staircase that went up to another door, bright rays of sunlight beaming through its cracks.  “Come on, let's go” I shouted as we rushed up the stairs.

I flung the door open and found us standing before a helipad on the roof of the mansion.  I looked out across the horizon and I found the view completely breathtaking.  The size of the mansion was more evident from up here than on the train platform and it stretched out for what seemed like miles around us with nothing but green forest beyond that.  I could see clouds of dust rising up in the distance as parts of the mansion crumbled to the ground.  The Shadow Master had indeed used Shadow Magic in a last ditch effort to defeat us, and it appeared he was going to take us down with the whole place.  A green helicopter was parked on the far end of the helipad and was the only means of escape.  “Hey, I remember that helicopter from my days as the leader of the Black Warriors” Jimmy exclaimed happily as he pointed toward the vehicle.  “I used to fly it quite a bit when we would do surprise attacks on the rival gangs at night.  I can fly us out of here.  Come on.”  I turned my attention to Marian and smiled, happy that we had a way to get out of here.  She smiled back and I put my arm lovingly around her shoulder.  “Come on, baby, let's get out of here” I beamed happily as the three of us made our way to the chopper.  We stopped short when the side door to the helicopter flung open and a large figure emerged onto the helipad.  A hateful stare crossed my face when I saw who stood before us: my long-time rival and archenemy, Bo Abobo.  He looked ahead at us, an evil smile spread across his hideous and pudgy face as he closed the door to the helicopter.  “Think you're going somewhere” he shouted maliciously as he took a fighter's stance.  “Well, you're going to have to get through me first.”

I stared hatefully ahead at my rival as he held his fists up and smiled evilly.  I felt the helipad shake slightly as more of the surrounding mansion collapsed around us.  It appeared we didn't have much time left and having to get by Bo Abobo certainly wasn't going to help.  I released my grip on Marian and turned to both her and Jimmy.  I could see fear lurking behind her eyes, a fear that the three of us might die on this helipad.  “Jimmy take Marian” I instructed quickly.  “I'll distract Bo Abobo while the two of you get to the helicopter.  No matter what happens, you get that thing started and you get her to safety.”  “No, Billy, I'm not leaving you” Marian protested with much fear in her voice.  “We just got each other back and I'm not about ready to lose you again.”  “Don't worry about me.  I'll be okay, baby” I said reassuringly as I kissed her on the forehead.  “You're not going to lose me that easily.”  She tried to protest again, but I kissed her lovingly on the lips as I stared her in the eyes and stroked her cheek gently.  “Go, you two” I ordered to Jimmy and Marian as I turned to Bo Abobo.  “We haven't much time.”  Jimmy took Marian by the arm and lead her away as she stared back at me, obviously worried that I might not make it out of this fight alive.  I moved to the opposite side of the helipad, my eyes locked sternly on Bo Abobo as he followed me with his gaze.  The plan was working and he kept his entire focus on me and disregarded Jimmy and Marian moving toward the helicopter.  “Bo” I shouted loudly to my rival as I stretched my hands out and pointed to the crumbling mansion around us.  “Don't be a fool.  This place is coming down all around us.  This is over.”  The big man just smiled evilly as he walked slowly toward me, his arms clenched into fists in front of him.  “I would be a fool not to finish you off right here and right now” Bo Abobo taunted as he continued to advance on me.  “I will likely be going down with this place, and if I do, I'm going to make sure I take you with me.”  I glanced over his shoulder and saw that Jimmy and Marian had made it to the helicopter and my brother was quickly opening the side door to prepare for our escape.  I felt the helipad shake again and realized time was quickly running out.  There would be no getting past Bo Abobo for me without a fight, so I took a fighter's stance and readied myself.  “If that's the way you want it, then that's the way it will be” I shouted angrily to my long-time rival.  “Come and get me.”

The large man moved on me quickly, throwing a powerful punch toward my head and grazing my left ear in the process.  Even though I dodged most of the attack, the force of the punch rubbing across my ear caused me to lose balance and drop to my knees.  Bo Abobo attempted to stomp on me with a large boot, but I rolled skillfully and quickly out of the way and immediately jumped to my feet, ready for another attack.  Beyond the large man, I could see Jimmy working quickly on the helicopter controls as Marian watched me from the back, much worry etched into her beautiful face.  Bo Abobo threw out a kick at me, but I was able to grab onto his foot and flip him down to the helipad on his back with a hard thud, the Black Warrior wincing in pain.  I climbed on top of him, ready to hit him with a series of quick jabs, but he brought his foot up and threw me over him onto my back.  As I rolled over and got to my feet, I saw the blades of the helicopter slowly starting to spin as the engine roared to life.  Jimmy had gotten the helicopter to start and I knew it was time to go, but something held me back from climbing on board.  A word that had been haunting me for the last several weeks, a word that had been my pure driving force as I took on the Black Warriors, a word that had screamed at me numerous times and convinced me to kill without mercy.  The word was “revenge,” and as I stood here on the helipad, I couldn't resist the urge to get back at Bo Abobo.  As the helicopter roared to full life, I could hear Jimmy and Marian calling out to me to get on board.  But as I watched Bo Abobo slowly try to get to his feet, I saw an opportunity to finish off my rival once and for all.

I charged toward the large man as he started to get back on his feet and I hit him in the middle of the back with a knee attack, knocking him back down on his face.  “Billy, what in the hell are you doing” I could hear Jimmy's voice shout angrily from behind me.  “We gotta get out of here now!”  I felt the helipad shake hard as I ignored my brother and climbed onto Bo Abobo's back.  I looked off into the distance and saw the crumbling of the mansion was getting closer.  It wouldn't be long until the building we were standing on would crumble into thousands of pieces, but I could tell I had time to seek one last bit of revenge.  I grabbed Bo Abobo by the back of the head and slammed his face down onto the helipad as hard as I could, stunning the large man even more.  I rolled him over on to his back and stared hatefully down as his bloody face.  He tried to wrap a mammoth hand around my neck, but I elbowed him hard in the stomach, the Black Warrior howling in pain from the blow.  “Billy, stop it” I could hear Marian plead over the roar of the helicopter.  Ignoring her as well, I threw punch after punch into Bo Abobo's face, the word “revenge” shouting happily and sadistically with each blow to his head.  “Dammit, Billy, we don't have time for this” I heard Jimmy shouting as his voice came closer, obviously having jumped out of the chopper to stop my brutal attack.  Bo Abobo somehow found the strength to bring a fist up to my head and he punched me, knocking me off his prone body.  Before he could get up, I reached out and grabbed a hold of one of his arms and put one of my feet against his neck.  Ready to take the life of the large man, I pulled on his arm and pushed against the side of his head in an attempt to break his thick neck.  He strongly resisted me as he pushed against my leg in a last ditch effort to keep me from killing him.  I suddenly felt Jimmy's hands grab me roughly by the back and he pulled me off Bo Abobo, my arms and legs flailing as I tried to hit my enemy with anything I could.  Jimmy spun me around and grabbed me by the front of the shirt as Bo Abobo coughed and rolled in pain on the helipad, an infuriated look in my brother's eyes.  “Billy, you've killed enough people today” Jimmy screamed angrily at me over the roar of the helicopter and the crumbling of the mansion.  “This revenge game has to stop right here.  You're totally out of control.  You got Marian back and that's all that matters.  Just let him go so we can get out of here or we are all going to die.”  I stared my brother hard in the face, enraged that he would suggest I let my long-time enemy and rival go without me being able to exact revenge.  I then looked over to the helicopter and saw Marian sitting there, a look of intense worry on her face.  Upon seeing her, my brother's words hit home and I realized that if I spent any more time attacking Bo Abobo, the building would finally collapse and I would lose Marian all over again.  And that was something I would not be able to stomach.  “Okay, let's go” I said to my brother as we rushed for the helicopter.

As the two of us climbed on board, I could see Bo Abobo climb to his feet as he wiped blood from his mouth.  He appeared to be a bit dazed and looked all around for me before realizing that I was inside the helicopter.  At that moment, Jimmy ascended into the air as a large crack cut its way across the helipad right under Bo Abobo's feet.  The large man staggered forward as the ground beneath his feet shook violently and he took one last look at me, an angry scowl on his face that he lost the battle.  I stared through the window at him angrily as several more cracks cut across the top of the platform.  Suddenly, the whole helipad collapsed and Bo Abobo disappeared into a thick cloud of dust.  A strange feeling washed over me as I saw my rival's body vanish, a feeling of satisfaction mixed with sadness.  I was happy he was finally gone, but this small part of me felt bad that Bo Abobo was dead.  I quickly shook the feeling from my head as I turned to Marian.  She wrapped her arms around my right arm and hugged me tightly as she put her head on my shoulder.  “Billy, you scared me back there” Marian said nervously.  “Not only did I think I was going to lose you, but I've never seen you like that before.  You were so...angry.  So violent.  So full of rage.  It was terrifying.”  “I'm sorry, baby” I said softly and apologetically as I freed myself from her grip and wrapped both arms around her, holding her tight.  “I'm sorry you had to see me like that.  It...it wasn't the first time today I was like that and...”  “Please, I don't want to hear anymore” Marian pleaded as she hugged me harder.  “Promise me you'll never act like that again.”  “I promise, Marian” I assured my girlfriend as I stroked her auburn hair.  We held each other for a long time, not wanting to let go after weeks of separation.  I glanced out the window of the helicopter and stared at the sunset, bright and heavenly rays stretching out across the clear blue sky.  I felt Marian turn her head and she too gazed out at the sunset.  “It's beautiful” I heard her mutter softly as we looked on.  “Not as beautiful as you” I answered with a big smile, so incredibly happy to have her back.  I heard Marian hum happily and lovingly at my words as she closed her eyes and laid her head against me.  I too closed my eyes, the same big smile still on my face as Jimmy flew us back home safe and sound.

It has been three weeks since Jimmy and I defeated the Shadow Master and Marian returned to me and life has returned to normal.  Jimmy and I rebuilt the dojo and it is doing better than ever.  We have way more students now than ever before and we spend countless hours teaching them the ways of the ancient masters and building their strength.  And not a day goes by that Marian and I don't cherish each others' company.  We never leave each others' sight without saying “I love you,” even if it means I'm running to the store to get a gallon of milk.  We were taken so suddenly from each other before that we now act as if each parting moment could be our last.  We hold each other lovingly every night in bed as we stare into each others' eyes until we fall asleep.  We do dishes together now and spend more time cleaning up the kitchen than the dishes from playfully splashing water and blowing soap bubbles at each other.  She sits propped up against me on the couch if I'm watching the most manly action movie in the world as she paints her nails.  We just spend so much more time doing things together than we ever did before and we never take it for granted.  I've begun training Marian on how to defend herself at the dojo every night after we close, wanting to make sure that if she were ever in a dangerous situation where her life was threatened and I couldn't be there, she could put up a fighting chance.  And let me tell you, she has turned into one tough girl.  She can flip me over her back with ease and break out of almost any hold I put her in.  I think she really enjoys flipping me down to the mat because we sometimes playfully roll around on the floor, laughing and hugging each other as we stare into each others' eyes.  I took Marian on a trip to the mountains just last week to her favorite vacation spot as a kid.  It was there, looking out across a beautiful valley lined with trees, wild flowers, a winding clear river, and the most impressive mountain peaks that I got down on one knee and proposed to her, knowing full well that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her.  She said “yes” as tears of joy streamed down her face and we held each other in a lovers' embrace as we stared out across the valley.  Life was so great now and I felt so complete and happy inside with Marian back by my side.  And soon, she would be my wife and we would live our remaining lives in utter and complete happiness.  And I would never, ever take it for granted.

EPILOGUE

Hiruko sat in the living room of her home with a cup of dark, Japanese tea, sipping the hot beverage slowly with shaky hands.  Incense burned all around her, thick smoke clouding the air as she hummed some sort of ancient, Japanese hymn.  She closed her eyes tightly and set her cup of tea down on a nearby table as she stretched out her arms and began to meditate.  A phone rang suddenly and loudly throughout her house, causing her to lose concentration on her meditation.  Opening her eyes slowly, she angrily looked over at the caller ID on the cordless phone.  Recognizing the number, she cursed under her breath and reached for the phone, reluctantly pressing the button to answer the call.  “Hello” Hiruko answered gruffly, annoyed that she was interrupted while she was meditating.  “I told you to never call me at this number” she replied angrily as she sat forward in her chair, a look of annoyance spreading across her face.  “I thought I made myself clear in the past.”  Hiruko leaned back in her chair as the person on the phone continued to talk to her, reaching for her hot tea and sipping it slowly.  “Oh, I see” she answered a bit more calmly as she set the cup down on the table, her brow furrowing with concern.  “He was a fool anyway and didn't stand a chance against them” Hiruko replied angrily as she lit another incense stick.  The voice continued on as she rolled her eyes in annoyance, hoping the person on the other line would give her some useful information.  But it never came and she slammed her hand on the table angrily, knocking the tea cup down and shattering it in the process.  “Look, I don't care what happened at his mansion, with him defeated, you now work for ME and you will do what I say from now on or there will be consequences, understand” Hiruko shouted over the phone as she sat forward in her chair, her anger starting to get the better of her.  As the voice talked back to her, she eased back and relaxed, obviously content that whoever she was talking to was starting to see her point of view.  “Good, I'm glad we both understand each other now” Hiruko answered slyly as she inhaled the aroma from the incense.  As she picked a few pieces of the broken cup that had fallen into her chair, she decided it was time to enact her master plan.  “Let me ask you, have you ever heard of the sacred Rosetta Stones” she asked the person on the other end of the phone.  The voice rambled as she rolled her eyes once again.  “Of course you haven't” she muttered angrily.  “I don't know why I expected you to know of them.  They are three ancient stones that are said to give their possessor great and enormous power, power far greater than that of Shadow Magic.  But they are scattered across the globe and heavily guarded and they are not easy to get to.  The younger Lee brother proved easy to manipulate into helping me wipe out the Black Warriors and I think I will be able to use him once again to help me get the Rosetta Stones.  I want you to assemble a new gang of fighters to replace the old Black Warriors so that we can use them to help get our hands on the stones.  I will contact you when I'm ready to execute the plan.”  The voice on the other end of the phone continued on as Hiruko lit another incense stick.  “I will be in touch” the old woman assured her caller.  “Goodbye for now...Bo Abobo.”  Hiruko hung up the phone and leaned back in her chair, an evil smile spreading across her face as she closed her eyes.  It would only be a matter of time until she got her hands on the Rosetta Stones.  And when she did, she would have power so great that no one would be able to stop her.  Not even the Double Dragons.

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:30:19 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Damn Bimmy what's the word count on your story this week? I think you've set the record for longest Double Dragon fanfic piece.

I don't know what I was thinking this week. I didn't start playing until Sunday. I know I could have beat the game putting in regular hours.

I'm putting the blame on Breath of the Wild

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:37:22 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Krunch

Damn Bimmy what's the word count on your story this week? I think you've set the record for longest Double Dragon fanfic piece.

I don't know what I was thinking this week. I didn't start playing until Sunday. I know I could have beat the game putting in regular hours.

I'm putting the blame on Breath of the Wild

Yeah, there were 7th and 8th place spots free for the taking for simply beating the game.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:39:12 PM
bimmy_lee (78)
Michigan
Not sure on the exact word count, but all 7 parts, put together, equal out to 47 typed pages.

EDIT: I did a word count and I estimate it to be around 39,000 words.

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Edited: 03/20/2017 at 10:41 PM by bimmy_lee

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:38:19 PM
Richardhead (13)
< Ridley Wrangler >
Colorado
Originally posted by: bimmy_lee

Not sure on the exact word count, but all 7 parts, put together, equal out to 47 typed pages.

EDIT: I did a word count and I estimate it to be around 39,000 words.

Those were some epic DD2 reads.
Thanks again for what you do Bimmy !

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:17:14 AM
the tall guy (130)
(Randy the Astonishing) < Bowser >
Tennessee
Dangit... internet problems the last couple days, couldn't post my score... would've just been participation anyway.

Oh well, it's a new week!

"Meeting internet dudes is what being a dude on the internet is all about!"  ~OSG 

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:18:36 AM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
************************************************************************************
WEEK 5 SANTA WEEKLY NEWS UPDATE - DOUBLE DRAGON II
************************************************************************************

Holy Cow!
This week The Shadow Master, Bo Abobo and all their scumbag friends showed up in the biggest bimmy epic EVER.
Complete with official JerToxieRules artwork and trademark bimmy_lee immersive writing - the contest certainly had a great story to go along with the great competition.

And speaking of competition, Bea_Iank was at it again in an (NA) record beaking performance.
We won't spoil the bimmy epic here, but check out all the rest of the happenings this week below for 2017's edition of Double Dragon II.

**********************************************************************************
BEA_IANK WINS GOLD AND SHATTERS OLD NA LOW SCORE RECORD

Bea was able to top two amazing performances this week by NA Hall of Fame Nominees

If you ask, Bea_Iank will probably try to tell you that she is "terrible at video games." Do not believe her.
Adding once again to her string of dominating performances dating back to last year, Bea was able to take Double Dragon Gold in dramatic fashion.

Earlier in the week Hall of Fame finalists bearcat-doug and arnpoly were in a tight race for posting the lowest score this week (and briefly ever in the contest).
These two contest giants were in a tight battle for the NA low score title when Bea was able to crunch some numbers and out duel the big boys.

Fighting off numerous NES system crashes, Bea sipped some wine, posed for some pictures (that were appropriately "enhanced" by gutsman004) and by week's end was able to complete the game on Supreme Master with
a record breaking score of 9,850.

The season is still early, but Bea_Iank is making a strong run already for a 2017 Championship.
Congrats on another great performance Bea.

BIMMY_LEE INTRODUCES "COUNSELORS CORNER" TIPS TO HELP CONTESTANTS FIGHT THE SHADOW MASTER

Nintendo Power throwback posts bad news for Bo Abobo and crew

In between writing the largest contest epic ever penned, contest mod bimmy_lee took some extra time to help everyone with tips at key points of Double Dragon II.
Anyone who has ever picked up an old Nintendo Power would recognize the clever way bimmy presented his tips.
It certainly brought a smile to this writer's face and got many players talking amongst themselves to gameplan a way around some tough parts.

Here were a few of the Game Counselor's tips from this week to help anyone in the future looking to tackle this game on Supreme Master Difficulty.

- When fighting the final boss... NEVER face him. This prevents him from using that devastating spin punch that can take away 1/3 of your helath!

- In Level 4, hitting the spikes will not actually casue damage to you should you hit them. You can just uppercut an enemy when you stand back up.

- When fighting the two Bolos near the cabin, move your character all the way to the right of the screen. This will prevent you from being thrown off the cliff (and getting a cheap death!)

These were really helpful tips and a really clever and familiar way to present them.
Hopefully we'll see more "Counselor's Tips" like these in the future from Bimmy (and possibly guillavoie too?)

GUTSMAN004 CREATES ENTERTAINING EFFIGIES OF MYSTERIOUS "JERBILLY" THIS WEEK

The King of All Hotdogs immortalized in Guts' unique brand of art.

The 2017 Season has seen gutsman004 post some pretty entertaining pieces of game related art so far.
This week he posted a couple of pieces that had folks spitting their beverages all over.

Late last week contest participant (and bass slapper) JerToxieRules led an NA campaign to find user Jerbilly.
This included changing his own name from "ToxieRules" to "JerToxieRules" as well as creating a virtual milk carton depicting the Sex Pig Legend.

Playing off of this, Guts created a third Double Dragon dubbed "Jerbilly Lee" clad all in yellow to signify his mastery of the Mustard Arts.
A few days later, Guts again posted a Jerbilly themed pic with the title screen of a well known brawler with a name change.
The new title read "The Adventures of Bayou Jerbilly."

Who knows what the real Jerbilly thought of all this fanfare?
Also, anyone who is unaware of the man who made birthday hotdogs world famous must be completely confused.

On any account great work this week Guts and congrats to both Guts and Toxie for coaxing the elusive Jerbilly out of hiding... even if it was just for a little while.

CHAMPION RICHARDHEAD'S UNDERSTUDY MISSTRIXY MAKES PARTICIPATION THIS WEEK

After some ribbing MissTrixy gets on the board.

Early in the week Colorado newcomers MissTrixy posted a "Nice Try" pic of her efforts falling just short of a valid participation score.
In "welcome to the contests fashion" a few users playfully poked at MissTrixy for just missing the cut.

After some encouragement, MissTrixy took another stab at it and was able to post a participation score.
This, from someone who has only played the NES for the first time last year (Tetris).

Her back story is quite mysterious.
For a spell, I thought she was Mrs. SuperJimtendo.
But, Richardhead and Trixy have mentioned going on bike rides together and Richard claims to have recruited her by asking her to be his understudy while down on one knee.

Perhaps the entire state of Colorado is just under a giant cloud of pot smoke, but some things do not seem to add up.
Maybe Trixy will train under the champ and her and Bea_Iank will rule all men at the top of the leaderboard by the end of the season?
What are the origins of those goggles as well?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Richard's cat Mr. Pickles post a top 8 score in the future at this point.

**********************************************************************************
NOSTRADUMBASS'S DOUBLE DRAGON II PREDICTIONS

It's the Contests' Horoscope!

1st - Table (game complete - 15,000)
2nd - Guts (game complete - 15,500)
3rd - Gloves (game complete - 16,000)
4th - Swift (game complete - 19,000)
5th - arnpoly (game complete - 25,000)
6th - skinny (game complete - 29,000)
7th - Richard (game complete - 32,000)
8th - Michael (game complete - 39,000)

Bea - 1st or 19th ???

***********************************************************************************

That's it for this week's (late) update!

- Will arnpoly break 3,000,000 next week in Puzznic?
- Have we seen the last of Bo Abobo and his gang of scumbags this year?
- Who will have a higher score at the end of the year JamesRobot or Mr. Pickles?

Keep tuning into the contest to find out!

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Edited: 03/21/2017 at 12:19 AM by Commander Santa

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:40:33 AM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado
I wasn't sure I would get a mention this week. I'm glad to have been mentioned alongside mr pickles. Thanks Santa!

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread
Purple Ganon auction
http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=34&th...

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios

Edited: 03/21/2017 at 12:40 AM by SuperJimtendo

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:37:55 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
Awesome update as always Santa, but I am terrible at video games!
I just happen to be half decent at Double Dragon 2 and at exploiting it's poorly written AI! Booze and the power of PMS also helped me through the week.  
I would post my rule 63 Billy Lee cosplay to celebrate, but eh... Billy doesn't wear a shirt, so that would probably cause me to get a forced two weeks vacations from NA.

And great epic finale for your long tale, Bimmy. It was really cool. I enjoyed reading it through the week.  

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Edited: 03/21/2017 at 05:39 AM by Bea_Iank

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:47:47 AM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Another great write up as always, Santa!

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:23:40 AM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

Another great write up as always, Santa!

Santa's write ups are da best!

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:26:57 AM
Uncle Meat (69)
Ontario
Lots of good write ups from both Santa as well as the Bimster this week!

Ayy yoo pizza bie!