Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

GameGavel - Auctions for Gamers - New Site Look - Check it out!

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:51:09 PM
GameGavel (5)
(Mike Kennedy) < Meka Chicken >
California

I wanted to explain to everyone, especially our sellers or anyone wanting to sell on GameGavel in the future.  First off we are growing nicely but one thing we also do is feed all our fixed price/buy now style listings into what is called Google Base.   This makes sellers items appear in the Google Search and Google Shopping environments.  This gets your auctions infront of everyone searching for games on Google greatly increasing your listing's coverage.

So even though we are still small, but growing, auctions are also being run on the biggest search engine on the planet.

To see this in action simple type this as an example into the Google search bar:  spyro the dragon playstation 1 and then click on Shopping Results to see this sellers listing on GameGavel.

Also, to see all the GameGavel auctions running in Google click this link:

http://www.google.com/products?q=gamegavel&hl=en&aq=f

Our feeds get updated daily at 6:00 AM EST so everything stays current.  This is a free service to GameGavel sellers and you need to do nothing except list a fixed price listing to be included in the feed.

As you can imagin this feed brings in lots of traffic to GameGavel but also to your listings.

Here is another search someone just did - notice the GG listing at the bottom:  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=phant... =

-------------------------

So Cal Mike

http://www.GameGavel.com, Auctions For Gamers

Edited: 02/19/2010 at 12:57 AM by GameGavel

Feb 24, 2010 at 11:34:45 AM
GameGavel (5)
California

This post is here to do two things. First, to reiterate Google Shopping feeds are now up and running so anyone listing fixed price listings/Buy Now will have their listings auto fed directly into Google so you will have tons of people seeing your GameGavel listings as they search Google. You can check out our current Google Shopping listings here and it updates 6:00AM EST every morning. [url]http://www.google.com/products?q=...[/url]

Since getting these feeds up and running, combined with transferring our forums to now operate under the GameGavel URL we are seeing tremendous growth.

The Google Analytics info below shows our daily unique visitors averaging over 2400 people the past week or so since we made these changes. This will translate to over 70,000 unique visitors / month (and growing) looking for video game listings.

Next, I really need to get more listings for modern day gaming items running on the site. So to spark this, I am willing to give out 12 more free seller accounts (pay no fees for life) on what will become the #1 place on line to buy and sell video games. The deal is that to get one you must be able to produce at least 50 listings for items in the modern day categories. And remember with a free seller account you don't pay anything for this. Feel free to link your GameGavel store with your Ebay store and pass traffic back and forth too. I am cool with that.

This is a very good deal for someone who is spending alot selling on Ebay and looking for a viable alternative. Imagine having no fees ever on GameGavel.

Please PM if you are interested in this deal.

So Cal Mike

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:31:14 PM
GameGavel (5)
California
Today GameGavel is one week from hitting its 2-year anniversary. So instead of waiting to send this email on "the day", I am sending it out now as I hope it will spark new readers to register and help us hit our goal of 4,000 registered members our first two years. It appears we will hit this # right on target.

Thanks to all of our members. And by all I mean all 3,913 (including over 200 new members who just signed up this month) of you – whether you have been consistently using GameGavel since we launched or just poking your head in every now and then to make sure we are still alive and kickin'. In two years GameGavel has grown considerably not only in just the # of registered members but also in the staggering # of unique visitors the site is now seeing on a monthly basis. And more and more of these visitors are registering when they see something they want to buy.

Many of you have been hesitant to list with any consistency on GameGavel due to our low level of traffic. Well, now the time has come that our biggest problem, at this stage is not for lack of traffic (now approaching 80,000 unique visitors/month and 400,000 page views) but lack of new listings. I have been working hard to spread the word of GameGavel through lots of channels. Many of you show your support by helping to spread the word to your friends, forums or your online communities and that is something that I am extremely thankful for and will continue to depend on as time goes by. We all want an alternative to Ebay and we are all working together to cement GameGavel as that alternative.

Our efforts are paying off in a big way. Here is a link to our latest 30-day Google Analytics statistics, which are showing proof that GameGavel is growing significantly:

Our stats for two years are showing we have listed 263,141 items, sold over $180,000 in merchandise and are averaging over 60,000 searches for items each month.

A couple new things that will be put into place are some site advertising, again, with the sole purpose of generating some consistent revenue to drive back into GameGavel's functionality and promotion. This will benefit all of us using the site and help us continue to always operate without listing fees and low selling commissions.

We will be upgrading our forums to Vbulletin 4.0 Publishing Suite, in the next day or so, which will once again give the forums a new facelift but more importantly will now include a built-in blog engine so now anyone wanting to blog can do so easily in a great venue filled with gamers interested in what they have to say. It may also be a cool way to promote your auctions to the readers of your blog.

And finally, we are working on GameGavel.co.uk, which will be our first attempt at a country specific offshoot. This is a tricky undertaking that will take some time to develop. Here is a sneak peak at what will be the logo for GameGavel UK: http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/sh...

As I mentioned before, what the site needs now, more than ever, is listings. In addition to our efforts to keep spreading the word, Google Shopping Feeds are now consistently running and many of our sellers are seeing a higher level of sales. Google Shopping is responsible for a large % of our monthly unique visitors and it's your listings that are bringing them in. Even more listings will mean even more people flooding into GameGavel. Here is a link showing our Google Shopping listings as of today: http://www.google.com/products?q=...

If you have been meaning to try GameGavel now is the time to try. Free listings are back and will never go away so there is absolutely no risk to list some items. None. We all want an alternative to Ebay. One that is dedicated to gaming, has free listings and low fees, and has traffic. We have that now in GameGavel. We just need your listings - plain and simple. Try listing some items on GameGavel and on Ebay. Use both sites. Link your free GameGavel seller store to your Ebay store and pass buyers back and forth. Using a combination of GameGavel and Ebay is a smart thing to do, especially if you don't want to rely solely on GameGavel for all your sales and you want to start depending less and less on Ebay. Start slow and I am sure after a while GameGavel will be your site of choice for the majority of your buying and selling.

This next year is continuing to show tremendous promise for GameGavel and its members. We will be continuing to upgrade and improve the site based largely on feedback from you. And let's all thank the CGE team for coming back in 2010. This is the first CGE to happen since GameGavel has been in existence and I am looking forward to meeting many of you that weekend.

Now to celebrate by having some green brew and a crock-pot full of jazzed up corn beef. Happy St. Pattys day to all of you and here's two another two years of whittling away at you know who J

Erin Go Bragh

So Cal Mike, Founder
GameGavel.com

So Cal Mike

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:49:12 PM
GameGavel (5)
California
We've upgraded GameGavel's forum community to Vbulletin 4.0.  Check it out  - http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/index.php

So Cal Mike

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:12:32 PM
GameGavel (5)
California

Posted Image

GameGavel.co.uk going LIVE!

I am excited to tell you all next week we will be going live with GameGavel.co.uk. This will be a new site focused on the European market and will use GBP as the main site currency. This site will share member databases with GameGavel so if you are in the Europe and already registered you will be good to go and can use both sites seamlessly.

As with any new venture there will be bugs and issues to iron out as we grow. GameGavel.co.uk will share a very similar look as the original site and they will be linked together at the very minimum. Members of GameGavel.co.uk will benefit by knowing we will stop at nothing to continue building a high quality, less-expensive auction alternative to Ebay and will work diligently to grow the site to scale so members will have just as much success selling their items on GameGavel as they would on Ebay. Fixed price/buy-now listings running on GameGavel.co.uk will also be visible in the Google shopping area increasing their exposure greatly. We have a new forum thread for discussing the launch of GameGavel.co.uk here so feel free to introduce yourself and give us your opinion of the site and what you would like to see in a European dedicated gaming auction site (remembering the forum requires a separate registration from the auction site): http://www.gamegavel...splay.php?f=102

Introducing UK Mike

Helping to administor the site is UK Mike, my co-host on http://www.RetroGamingRoundup.com. He has expressed interest in partnering with GameGavel to help administer this new European auction site. Not only does he live in the UK, but he is well versed in all things web related and will also help market GG.co.uk to the European market.

Are you in Europe? Do you want a lifetime Free Seller Account?

Currently we have a couple hundred members from Europe registered on GameGavel.com. As I indicated you will be automatically registered when GG.co.uk goes live. Since you are already a member of GameGavel I would like to also offer you a life time free seller membership (pay no listing fees/selling fees for life) in trade for some listings soon after the site goes live. If you are interested in this "Free Seller Account" offer than please respond to me at [email protected] so I can upgrade your account.

If you are in Europe and not yet registered on GameGavel.com/UK then you to will be open to receiving a lifetime free seller account in trade for bringing some listings over soon after we launch.

And, again, for our European members – if you are excited about this news please help us spread the word by letting everyone know in the European gaming forums that GameGavel is coming to Europe. Word of mouth has always been our best advertising and if GameGavel is to be a successful Ebay alternative in Europe, we will need all the help we can get.

Improved Category Searching

Many of you have asked that we revise our category search system to include all items up for sale within a main category and then having a drill down menu to fine tune your searches into the secondary categories. We have been working on this and should have this improvement made in the next month or so. This will make searching GameGavel more efficient and much more enjoyable for those of us wanting to see everything for sale under a main category with one button click.

Again, thanks to all of you for your suggestions for improving the site. Everything you bring to our attention is seriously looked at and implemented sooner or later.

GameGavel is a great community of gamers and most members are filling up with significant positive feedback. I hope all of us can strive to hit 100% positive feedback. Remember, great transaction communication is one way to resolve any problems before anyone has to result to leaving negative feedback.

If you have any questions regarding GameGavel.co.uk feel free to contact either myself, or UK Mike. Thanks again to all of you for registering and using GameGavel.

So Cal Mike, Founder GameGavel.com - [email protected]

UK Mike, Co-Host RetroGamingRoundup.com, GameGavel.co.uk - [email protected]

So Cal Mike

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:39:40 PM
MassiveDMG (1)
(Vinz ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Netherlands
Mike: if it's europe-based, wouldn't the euro be more handy? Great-Britain is just one country

Edited: 04/16/2010 at 03:40 PM by MassiveDMG

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:56:58 PM
GameGavel (5)
California
Originally posted by: Merugear

Mike: if it's europe-based, wouldn't the euro be more handy? Great-Britain is just one country

Ya, we've gone back and forth on this.  The fact is we have more people from the UK than anywhere else in Europe currently registered so we went with that.  It could change in the future, but frankly I think everyone can work around it regardless if we choose to use GBP or the Euro.  We will monitor this as time goes by and make changes if needed

The fact is that anyone can use GG.co.uk.  I've had USA members ask if they can list their PAL items there. Sure as long as it's clearly shown that they are USA sellers that ship to Europe.  So that will be kind of cool, I think.

Registrations are carried over between sites and so will feedbacks. 

Merugear - Are you registered on GG already?  You are open to getting a free seller account if you wish.  Let me know.

So Cal Mike

Edited: 04/16/2010 at 04:01 PM by GameGavel

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:16:36 PM
GameGavel (5)
California

Come and compete for high scores in the new GameGavel free games area: 

http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/arcade.php

So Cal Mike

May 4, 2010 at 11:06:07 AM
GameGavel (5)
California

GameGavel Europe is now open at http://www.GameGavel.co.uk...

Those of you who registered for your Lifetime Free Seller Accounts in Europe can now get your listings up and running. Please try to continue to relist unsold items as needed and keep them running. It is very important during this start-up phase to have a good selection of listings.

We also ask that you help us, by promoting your listings in the UK/Euro gaming and computer forums you all participate in. There is a very cool selling tool you can use that will automatically generate "listing links" you can cut-and-paste into those forum marketplace areas. To do this simply login to your members area, click on Seller Tools. Then on the lower left of the screen you will see "Lists for Promotions". Using the drop down menu find the auctions you want to promote and then the system will generate these cool links and all you need to do is cut-and-paste them and you are done. 

We will also be doing our best to promote the site around Europe. So working together we can populate the site with listings and then with bidders/buyers and grow the site into the video gaming auction alternative we all want.

If there are any other existing members from Europe who are reading this email and you do not have a Free Seller Account then we are offering you one in trade for bringing some auction listings to GameGavel Europe at launch. 

Please email us to request your Free Seller Account upgrade. This will get you lifetime use of GameGavel Europe without having to pay any listing or selling fees. But remember, you must list some items soon after we launch. This is a limited time offer so take advantage now.

We still have a few days left for USA/International buyers to lock-in to a Lifetime Free Seller account for only $20. If you are ever going to sell on GameGavel in the future this will be the deal of a lifetime. Pay $20 and never have to pay listing or selling fees on GameGavel ever! Contact us and request your Free Seller Account now.

All members are registered on both sites so feel free use them both accordingly. Some USA members had asked if they can list their PAL items on GameGavel Europe and that is totally cool if you want to try. Remember, both sites will require separate logins (using your same existing login information), however.

Thanks again for being apart of GameGavel.com -- the World's premier video gaming auction alternative. 

So Cal Mike

Edited: 05/04/2010 at 11:10 AM by GameGavel

May 4, 2010 at 11:31:32 AM
Sethresh (9)
(Esa Rinta-aho) < Crack Trooper >
Finland
I tried to register on the .co.uk site, I filled all the information but when I clicked the "Complete Registration"-button, it did nothing. Probably broken? I'm using the newest Firefox if that matters.

May 4, 2010 at 11:39:36 AM
GameGavel (5)
California
Originally posted by: Sethresh

I tried to register on the .co.uk site, I filled all the information but when I clicked the "Complete Registration"-button, it did nothing. Probably broken? I'm using the newest Firefox if that matters.

I will look into it.  We just ran another test registration through it without a hitch.  And a few others have successfully registered since the anncouncement went out.  Maybe try it again.  Sorry you are having problems.

So Cal Mike

May 4, 2010 at 11:49:22 AM
Sethresh (9)
(Esa Rinta-aho) < Crack Trooper >
Finland
Now it went through and I got to register, maybe it was some browser problem

Jul 7, 2010 at 10:36:38 AM
GameGavel (5)
California
rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/mkennedy/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml" />> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {colorurple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> >

Buy Now vs. Auction Style Listings. Are your listings priced to high to sell?

A big trend these days, on Ebay and on GameGavel is to forgo the auction format and list using Buy Now. There are benefits attached to each of these listing methods but it seems like most buyers still prefer the "auction" format over Buy It Now. Unfortunately the "auction" style listing method seems to be disappearing from the landscapes of all auction sites as time goes by. I think this is due in part to having such a long selling history for video games, many simply take historical selling prices and use them as a starting bid or for a Buy Now price. This is fine if the Buy Now prices sellers are using are accurate. But, I have looked at a random selection of GameGavel item Buy Now prices and have compared them to the closed selling prices for the same games on Ebay and I am seeing that many sellers on GameGavel are simply over pricing all of their games and thus not selling much. If you are one of our sellers currently running all your listings as fixed price/Buy Now, I urge you to look at your items and then look at those same items on Ebay's closed sales area and compare the two. If you see your pricing is to high, you should consider lowering your prices to increase your sales.

For Example, I looked at all the Super Mario Bros. 2 & 3 carts on GameGavel and every one of them is more than the closed selling prices of these same games on Ebay. In this day and age unless your games are priced to sell, they simply won't sell, on GG or Ebay.

I have sold nearly 100% of all my listings. I do a mix of Buy Now (priced to sell) and Auction formats. But I also set up my GameGavel store and promote my auctions throughout the various forums. It does take a bit of self-promotion sometimes to help boost your sales. So you should all be promoting your items, at a minimum, in the GameGavel forums, if not also Digital Press, AtariAge, NintendoAge, Sega-16, etc. And again, accurately pricing your Buy Nows is key if you want to sell.

This week we went over 5,000 running auctions. And with this, our site has seen increased item views and searches of over 6,000/day so people are coming and checking out the listings. But again, if your listings are overpriced, no one will be buying.

As an incentive for you to list some "auction" style listings, we will be featuring a button on the GameGavel homepage that will bring buyers to nothing but a listing of "auction" style listings, No Buy Nows will be included in this list. These "auction" style listings will also be featured on the GameGavel forum homepage as well so they will see some additionally high visibility. This is a temporary fix which will eventually lead the way for people to search each item category by choosing to search, All istings, or either Buy Now or Auction Style listings only.

Buy Nows are still being fed into Google Shopping so it is always still good to have a large selection of these fixed price/Buy Now listings, don't get me wrong. It is just that I think we need to have a higher % of auction style listings to help all our sellers out. So all I am asking is for you to take a look at your listings. Do you have a mix of Buy Nows and "auction" style listings? Are your Buy Now listings accurately priced to sell?

In addition we have added a writing team to deliver daily/weekly blogs, game reviews, industry opinions, etc in the forums. Since our writing team has been on board overall site traffic is up considerably so if you haven't been to the forums lately, why not check it out. Here is a link to our blog section: http://www.gamegavel...forum/blog.php. It has always been my goal to offer a unique, all-inclusive gaming website unlike any other. And I think with all the community building features we have (forums, blogs, radio station, podcast, flash games, etc.) combined with the anchor that is the auction site, GameGavel is truly unlike any other gaming website around.

I hope to see many of you at CGE at the end of the month. If you are there, please stop by the GameGavel/RetroGamingRoundup booth and say, "Hi".

Thanks again to all of you who are sticking with me and helping to continue to grow GameGavel into the Ebay alternative we all want.

Mike Kennedy
GameGavel.com

So Cal Mike

Edited: 07/07/2010 at 10:38 AM by GameGavel

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:12:35 PM
Mog (140)
(Mr Mog) < King Solomon >
Federated States of Micronesia
I agree with the increased views. I sold a few more items in the last week then I have normally been doing.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to start posting some cheap auctions now!

Jul 7, 2010 at 1:39:32 PM
GameGavel (5)
California
Originally posted by: MrMiniMog

I agree with the increased views. I sold a few more items in the last week then I have normally been doing.

Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to start posting some cheap auctions now!

Your stuff seems to be selling pretty good.  Looks like you've sold 75 items, which seems like a pretty good % of closed sales. Keep doing what you are doing and you will do just fine

So Cal Mike

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:21:41 PM
Enslaved (106)
(Edd Showalter) < Master Higgins >
Florida
Gonna give it a check out now....

Check out this really awesome WTB thread that I found, I heard this guy wants games at the cheapest rate possible!  Now on the look out for Unlicensed NES!

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/...

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:32:46 AM
GameGavel (5)
California
http://www.gamegavel.com/forum/sh...

The deadline for entries for the GameGavel Youtube Commercial has come and we got some very nice entries.  Check them out here and vote on the commercial you feel is best and deserving of the $250 Cash Prize!

rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/mkennedy/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml" />> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:&quot; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-alt:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-formatther; mso-font-pitch:auto; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {colorurple; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} >

Oh, and I guess you should never cut and paste from a word doc into the NA forums  

So Cal Mike

Edited: 08/04/2010 at 11:35 AM by GameGavel

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:46:21 PM
GameGavel (5)
California
And the winner of the GameGavel Youtube Commercial contest goes to:

Congrats to JestersChef for the great submission.  $250 CA$H is coming your way!

So Cal Mike

Dec 19, 2010 at 10:59:11 AM
GameGavel (5)
California
Nice Nintendo Sale Here!

http://www.gamegavel.com/item.cgi...

So Cal Mike

Dec 19, 2010 at 1:33:20 PM
cremorecs (428)
(Phil Screen Games) < Ridley Wrangler >
New Jersey
Jason's a cool guy. Glad his auction sold. I wonder if any of those cibs were once mine hah.

Kill Screen Games
https://www.facebook.com/killscre...

Sell me Hong Kong HK NES CIB's and Turbografx CD CIB Games - WTB Thread:  http://vintage.nintendoage.com/fo...

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:31:50 PM
GameGavel (5)
California
Hey all,

Take a moment to listen to my 15 minute recap of GameGavel 2010 and hear what we have in store for GameGavel in 2011.  Thanks

http://www.chasingthechuckwagon.c...

So Cal Mike

Jan 16, 2011 at 5:14:10 PM
GameGavel (5)
California
Just completed a site facelift.  Check it out and let me know what you all think.

And get ready for some more big news coming from GG.  Those of you waiting to use the site until it gains critical mass, get ready.  It's coming!

http://www.GameGavel.com...

So Cal Mike

Jan 31, 2011 at 4:19:05 AM
faramith (105)
(Jerry Robles) < Eggplant Wizard >
Puerto Rico
Just registered and bought my first item, a good deal I must say! as soon as I finish organizing my extra games I will start selling them on GameGavel, I am tired of Ebay and its high fees, fraudulent buyers and retarded sellers who ship boxed games on bubble mailers. Thanks GG!

Jan 31, 2011 at 10:01:31 AM
ADMINISTRATOR
VGD (465)
(RL ) < Wiz's Mom >
Michigan
My stuff has been selling fairly consistently recently and I havent really added anything in a while. I look forward to getting more listed sometime soon.