Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Top Gear 2 A.I issues Can't catch up to 1st place car...git gud, or crazy AI?

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:51:40 AM
Retrostage (36)
(Mike S) < Meka Chicken >
Alberta
My 3 yr old son loves cars, and loves racing them even more. But if he's going to race his cars on the table, he needs me to play Top Gear 2. Which is just fine by me, except I'm getting my ass whooped!

Here's the deal. I'm playing on the easiest setting, because my son runs in front of the projector screen a lot as he's racing around. So I don't want to lose every race. But I still sort of am, because I can't catch up to the 1up car!

I get to second place no problem, but as I'm using my Nitro and flying around, the mini map shows the 1st place computer is keeping up with my speed, no matter how fast I go. And once I slow down after finishing my Nitro, the computer stays going fast. I've literally been lapped by him while I was in second place.

I can get 1st place on the second race level easily, but can't get it on the first or third race ever. And it's iffy on the other races too. It's a constant struggle to get there, and even then when I'm out of Nitro I'll get passed by that AI quickly. And this is on EASY!

All of this has been played on my Sd2snes, so maybe it's a ROM thing... But I've been playing this game since it came out, and I've never been lapped by a computer AI before.

So either I'm an incredible n00b after all these years, or something fishy is going on here...

-------------------------

Brand New NES, SNES, N64 and Sega Genesis boards available! Great for reproductions/homebrew! http://nintendoage.com/forum/mess...
Buy them from my website here: http://www.retrostage.net

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:28:48 PM
LostLevel83 (142)
< Meka Chicken >
Oklahoma
My approach was always to find a gap and nitro almost as soon as the race begins. Getting immediately out in front was always easier than trying to catch the lead car.

-------------------------

I like pizza.