Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2018 Weekly Contests Presents: Trojan Contest ends Sunday, 6/10/18 at 11 PM NA time

Jun 3, 2018 at 4:04:23 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Hello everyone and welcome to the latest installment of the Weekly Contests!  This week you get to play as one of the most legendary and powerful and heroic warriors of all-time!  No, you don't get to play as Batman.  Nope, you're not playing as Luke Skywalker, either.  Or Mega Man or Simon Belmont or Rick Grimes or Peter Venkman or Indiana Jones or Michael Jordan or Sonic Blast Man or even the Running Man immortalized in Intellivision games.  You get to play as the fabled Trojan Man!  Get ready to take on the evil tyrant known as Achilles and his minions in a post-apocalyptic wasteland that would make the likes of Mad Max, Machine Gun Joe Viterbo, Snake Plissken, and Judge Dredd tremble in fear.  Need to find some items to help you through the wasteland formerly known as Greece?  No problem!  Just duck into a sewer and you might be lucky enough to find some useful items.  Ahhhhhh, don't you just love the smell of the sewers in the morning?  They smell just like...victory!  Just watch out for ratigators while you're down there or they'll turn you into dogmeat for sure!  And if you're not a butt brain and get out of the sewers alive without taking a wrong turn, you'll come face-to-face with Achilles' most treacherous thugs.  Get ready to take on the likes of...get ready for this...Muscler...and...Iron Arms...and we can't forget...King Shriek...or...Armadillon.  The names of these thugs don't exactly make one fear for their lives.  Now if they had names like The Humungus or Immortan Joe or Aunty Entity or Toecutter or Rictus Erectus or The Doof Warrior, I would be shaking more than a bowl of Jell-O.  And don't tell me you hate Jell-O because there's always room for Jell-O!  Anyway, here's what you need to know to defeat Achilles in the legendary story known only as Trojan:

• 1 Player Only
  • Play until Game Over
  • Take your picture on the Title Screen
  • Highest score wins
  • Participation: 25,000
  • GENRE: Beat 'Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 6/10/18 at 11 PM NA time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun  

-------------------------

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Jun 3, 2018 at 4:04:44 AM
bimmy_lee (78)
(Kevin Miller) < Bowser >
Michigan
Weekly Leaderboard header

1st mbd39 592,600
2nd bertsampson 489,500
3rd Krunch 241,350
4th Murray 107,000
5th JamesRobot 77,250
6th arnpoly 70,250
7th skinnygrinny 52,250
8th Ausden 43,500
9th Seppatoni 31,550
10th Yoshi 30,200

My NES collection count: 757 games (16 to go for a full set)

Latest Purchase(s): Snow Brothers

"Wait...Bimmy and Jimmy??  How'd they make a mistake like this!?  Bimmy isn't even a real name!"

Beware the Bimmy Marsh!

Proud owner of post #2000, #2900, and #3800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Edited: 06/11/2018 at 07:42 AM by NintendoAge Moderator

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:09:01 AM
Mega Tank (186)
< Wiz's Mom >
United States
Yep

Official NA Discord Chat Invite:  https://discord.gg/jEEcv3e

Jun 3, 2018 at 9:00:59 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Trojan rocks. I hope the participation is better this week.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion

Jun 3, 2018 at 1:52:50 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Edited: 06/10/2018 at 07:20 PM by mbd39

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:07:42 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Where the heck is everybody?

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:12:55 PM
Yoshi (34)
< Meka Chicken >
Ohio
Originally posted by: mbd39

Where the heck is everybody?
I’ve been swamped at work, but I’ll get a score in sometime this week.

Jun 4, 2018 at 11:56:32 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado

Trojan rocks. I hope the participation is better this week.

Less people competing means better chances to win

*SUPERJIMTENDO SUPER GIVEAWAY ****

ANYBODY WHO MAKES PARTICIPATION THIS WEEK WILL BE ENTERED TO WIN A BOX OF SUPER MARIO CEREAL. 

*the red box version with the amiibo

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios

Edited: 06/04/2018 at 11:59 PM by SuperJimtendo

Jun 5, 2018 at 9:47:41 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
I guess nobody likes Trojan except me.

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:51:15 PM
SuperJimtendo (7)
(Jimbo ) < Lolo Lord >
Colorado

I guess nobody likes Trojan except me.

Good, then you win the cereal.

owner of post 5000 in the age of Aquarius thread

Original Paintings for sale : https://www.etsy.com/shop/UVCStudios

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:20:02 PM
Krunch (146)
(My name's Krunch) < King Solomon >
Alberta
Just did my first run, pretty hard game. Fun though, and surprisingly deep. Hope some people give this one a chance this week

https://www.ebay.com/sch/bestpric...=
^^discounts for NA members^^

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:33:27 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
Participation (25,000) definitely aint an easy bar either, but it makes sense since the default score is 20,000. I havent beat the second boss yet but something will click I'm sure. I like this game

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:50:16 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Originally posted by: Krunch

Participation (25,000) definitely aint an easy bar either, but it makes sense since the default score is 20,000. I havent beat the second boss yet but something will click I'm sure. I like this game

This is a really short game. You should be able to beat it by the end of the week.

Also this game is full of secrets, especially in the manhole areas.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:01:41 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

This one inspired me to look back at the 2014 contest year, and 312k is a REALLY solid score.

It is interesting to read back to our discussion about the best ways to point-press.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:01:47 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta

This is a really short game. You should be able to beat it by the end of the week.

Thats refreshing to hear, because I want to be able to beat it.  Most games I cant beat especially within the framework of a contest run and thats frustrating for me.  I assume the end boss is gonna be full of points.  I really like this game though, I know its a dirty word around here but I would call this a "hidden gem."

What makes it for me is the shield, adds a whole new level of gameplay.  I dont think you can beat this game just going all out offensive all the time, you must use your shield.  I also like how during that second boss (in the first level so I guess the main boss of level 1), the game mode changes in a subtle way to more of a fighting game, allowing you to jump backwards.  

They kind of dropped the ball on theme though.  If I'm warrior with a shield and sword fighting knights, why is there cars and a cityscape in the background??  

Once I play more and understand the timer better theres opportunity for point pressing here. Not sure if you did any of that

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:05:50 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas

Thats refreshing to hear, because I want to be able to beat it.  Most games I cant beat especially within the framework of a contest run and thats frustrating for me.  I assume the end boss is gonna be full of points.  I really like this game though, I know its a dirty word around here but I would call this a "hidden gem."

What makes it for me is the shield, adds a whole new level of gameplay.  I dont think you can beat this game just going all out offensive all the time, you must use your shield.  I also like how during that second boss (in the first level so I guess the main boss of level 1), the game mode changes in a subtle way to more of a fighting game, allowing you to jump backwards.  

They kind of dropped the ball on theme though.  If I'm warrior with a shield and sword fighting knights, why is there cars and a cityscape in the background??  

Once I play more and understand the timer better theres opportunity for point pressing here. Not sure if you did any of that

I'll just say that point pressing is necessary for high score. But it's best to learn the game before trying.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:05:57 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

The theme is awesome!

This is the closest we ever got to a Thundarr the Barbarian game!  

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:08:33 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta

I'll just say that point pressing is necessary for high score. But it's best to learn the game before trying.

Yeah I plan to just find easy spots for now.  the Gray soliders in the first level are pushovers so I'll probably start there.  You know me I love point pressing.  I got a score of ~28,000 and died in the water in the desert level.  But, I didnt realize you could point your shield upwards to block from the enemies hovering and shooting from overhead.  Gonna keep playin for a little bit

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:11:03 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

The theme is awesome!

Not familiar with that property, but idk just is too anachronistic for me.  I like the color pallete and everything, looks really clear on my AVS

Gonna go read that previous contest thread, I did not participate in that one.  Should be an illuminating read

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:18:11 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

The theme is awesome!

Not familiar with that property, but idk just is too anachronistic for me.  I like the color pallete and everything, looks really clear on my AVS

Wow, you missed out, then.

It was a cartoon from the early 80's.

It is basically post-nuclear-apocalypse where high technology is used by "wizards" and everybody else are mutants and barbarians.

The main guy, Thundarr, has a solar powered sword that turns into some kind of power-sword when it is charged up, otherwise it is a normal broadsword.

Lots of 80's and 90's fantasy/sci-fi shows and games draw inspiration from different elements that were in Thundarr first.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:21:00 PM
Krunch (146)
Alberta

The theme is awesome!

Wow, you missed out, then.

It was a cartoon from the early 80's.

It is basically post-nuclear-apocalypse where high technology is used by "wizards" and everybody else are mutants and barbarians.

The main guy, Thundarr, has a solar powered sword that turns into some kind of power-sword when it is charged up, otherwise it is a normal broadsword.

Lots of 80's and 90's fantasy/sci-fi shows and games draw inspiration from different elements that were in Thundarr first.

Yeah I was born in 91 so I missed a lot of that stuff.  My older brother wasnt really into anything like that outside of the mainstream.  That sounds cool though, this week maybe I'll find a couple episodes to get me in the mood for this theme, but right now the priority is Trojan

Edited: 06/06/2018 at 05:21 PM by Krunch

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:14:32 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Well I just beat NARC for the first time.

It's actually one of the easier NES action games. It's very short. Most enemies are pretty easy to avoid and you can keep racking up lives by busting enemies. Mr. Big wasn't that bad to defeat.

It would be challenging to do a no-death run though.

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:10:48 AM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
Is everyone waiting until Sunday to post a score?

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:15:07 AM
Bea_Iank (4)
(Beatrice Bueno Iank) < Master Higgins >
Brazil
It seems to be the case here.  
I haven't even posted the leaderboard yet because you are the only one with a score so far.

A paragon of purity, chastity and innocence.
Fair reminder that I don't weigh the same as a duck, so I am not made of wood and therefore I am no witch.
Sometimes I don't know where in the world I am.

Jun 7, 2018 at 4:24:07 PM
bertsampson (11)
(Andrew Bradley) < Meka Chicken >
Washington

Edited: 06/08/2018 at 01:52 PM by bertsampson