AVS Wireless Controller?

Jul 30, 2017 at 9:58:11 AM
Tsurugi_Takuma (0)
(Nicklas ) < Little Mac >
Sweden
Originally posted by: Kosmic StarDust

Originally posted by: Tsurugi_Takuma

Originally posted by: toma

I'm not really trying to rip the controller apart or anything. It just didn't live up to my expectations. Microswitched buttons sounded good in theory, but in practice they feel like every button press is clicking a mouse. Maybe I could get used to it, but I dunno...
If you don't like it you can always use the electronics in it to build a wireless arcade stick, that's just an idea that popped into my head here 😁
Or there might be a way to somewhat muffle the clicky sounds + I guess you could do some reshape of the "grips" of the controller to suit you better?

Awesome as it would be to add wireless to one of my custom joysticks, I just normally throw a couple Retrobit extensions on it and I'm good. What I would love is a RetroUSB reciever that accepts an NES plug so I don't have to remove the CD4021 and custom turbos...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/30203515@N04/sets/721576297367...

I really don't know what I'm talking about, but couldn't you solder an extension in place inside the AVS and plug in the receiver and keep it on the inside? Maybe It's a dumb idea and it's the wine talking... 😁

Using an extension was just for ease of removing the receiver.

Edited: 07/30/2017 at 09:59 AM by Tsurugi_Takuma

Jul 30, 2017 at 2:11:14 PM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi
Interesting to hear (no pun intended) feedback about the loudness of the micro-switch buttons. That wouldn't probably be a deal breaker for me, though. I think the feel is more important and how well it plays games. I think we all get use to the feel of the original controllers so maybe give time for the adjustment to the AVS wireless. I'm still curious how folks feel about it after adapting to it for awhile.

In the meantime, I'm in hunt of a SNES controller (original or third party). Man, this isn't easy as I had an epic fail with the Buffalo SNES on Amazon. May end up just purchasing an original SNES controller.

Jul 30, 2017 at 2:21:22 PM
romeoteknik (0)
< Cherub >
New York
I put my order in, can't wait to get it. ^__^

-------------------------
follow | https://twitter.com/romeoteknik

Jul 30, 2017 at 7:50:17 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
Originally posted by: Tsurugi_Takuma

I really don't know what I'm talking about, but couldn't you solder an extension in place inside the AVS and plug in the receiver and keep it on the inside? Maybe It's a dumb idea and it's the wine talking... 😁

Using an extension was just for ease of removing the receiver.
That would cause massive bus conflicts when the controller was plugged in. You could, however AND the data0 inputs from the reciever and the NES controller port and both controllers could technically work.

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Jul 30, 2017 at 7:52:19 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: romeoteknik

I put my order in, can't wait to get it. ^__^
Hey, thans for alerting me to it on AtariAge. I haven't been following much on NintendoAge since I'm starting a new job and all. Sometimes my subbed threads stop receiving notifications and nobody uses the stock updates thread anymore...  
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/...

Edited: 07/30/2017 at 07:53 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:24:32 PM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi
Anybody got feedback / opinions of AWC (AVS Wireless Controller) after playing on it for several weeks?

Aug 19, 2017 at 1:20:58 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: pezmed

Anybody got feedback / opinions of AWC (AVS Wireless Controller) after playing on it for several weeks?
The microswitch Dpad and buttons will be a love/hate thing. Either you'll instantly love the clicky feel or you'll instantly hate the clickiness. I love it myself but the form factor feels odd. I plan on stuffing it in an original recangular shell. I have a controller with a bad 4021 and/or circuit board which will be perfect. I'll let you guys know how the mod goes when I get around to it.

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:39:54 AM
Silius (11)
(. Y .) < Eggplant Wizard >
Switzerland
I really like the controller - Both the form factor and the clicky buttons. However, diagonals are a bit more difficult to pull off. And I got issues with the button presses not being registered sometimes (already reported to retroUSB).

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:10:40 PM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi
Yes. Be sure to share pics with us, StarDust.

Silius, hope you get the buttons issue figured out. Thanks for sharing.

Edited: 08/22/2017 at 11:12 PM by pezmed

Aug 23, 2017 at 12:14:20 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

Yes. Be sure to share pics with us, StarDust. Silius, hope you get the buttons issue figured out. Thanks for sharing.
My free time is limited due to a new full time job, but I will post photos and a video when the mod is finished. For basic function, you really only need to cut a couple posts inside the controller shell and Dremel grooves for the Mini-USB and channel select. The only difficult part will be incorporating the turbo buttons. One could either route out a second set of start/select style holes for the turbos, or mount additional microswitch buttons externally.

Edited: 08/23/2017 at 12:16 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Aug 23, 2017 at 12:16:44 AM
Bort License Plate (56)
(Barclay Barry Bert Bort) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Yes. Be sure to share pics with us, StarDust. Silius, hope you get the buttons issue figured out. Thanks for sharing.
My free time is limited due to a new full time job, but I will post photos and a video when the mod is finished. For basic function, you really only need to cut a couple posts inside the controller shell and Dremel grooves for the Mini-USB and channel select. The only difficult part will be incorporating the turbo buttons. One could either drill out a second set of start/select style holes for the turbos, or mount additional microswitch buttons externally.

I'm interested too. I also considered doing this, whenever I get around to picking one up

Switch Friend Code: SW-3306-9533-2032

Aug 26, 2017 at 5:39:56 PM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Wireless NES controller mod failed. There isn't enough space inside the controller for the 2.4Ghz daughterboard or the battery. I actually destroyed two NES backs trying to make it work. Also after cramming it all in, the case fit was so tight the buttons were mashed down and couldn't be used.

After I resassembled the AVS controller, I actually measured the AVS Wireless controller and a stock NES controller with a pair of Calipers. The NES controller measures .776" in external thickness while the AVS controller measures .883". That additional tenth of an inch appears to be all that is needed for all the hardware to fit perfectly inside the AVS controller shell. It's clear that when Brian designed the AVS wireless controller and PCB, he had stock NES controller shells in mind, but sadly there just isn't enough room inside the standard NES controller shell for everything to fit, hence the custom shell he fabricated.

Oh well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...  

EDIT: Why won't Nintendoage allow me to upload photos anymore?

Edited: 08/26/2017 at 08:48 PM by Kosmic StarDust

Aug 29, 2017 at 2:26:06 PM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi

Wireless NES controller mod failed. There isn't enough space inside the controller for the 2.4Ghz daughterboard or the battery. I actually destroyed two NES backs trying to make it work. Also after cramming it all in, the case fit was so tight the buttons were mashed down and couldn't be used.

After I resassembled the AVS controller, I actually measured the AVS Wireless controller and a stock NES controller with a pair of Calipers. The NES controller measures .776" in external thickness while the AVS controller measures .883". That additional tenth of an inch appears to be all that is needed for all the hardware to fit perfectly inside the AVS controller shell. It's clear that when Brian designed the AVS wireless controller and PCB, he had stock NES controller shells in mind, but sadly there just isn't enough room inside the standard NES controller shell for everything to fit, hence the custom shell he fabricated.

Oh well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...  

EDIT: Why won't Nintendoage allow me to upload photos anymore?
Good try Kosmic. I think retrorgb tried the same thing on a video he posted. Shame you can't fit it all in, but maybe AVS will come out with another version that's shaped more like the original. Though, I think the current one is cool and retro looking. 

Edited: 08/29/2017 at 02:27 PM by pezmed

Aug 29, 2017 at 7:08:53 PM
SnoopKatt (16)
(Anthony B) < Eggplant Wizard >
California
I wonder if you can flatten it by desoldering the RF board from the controller PCB, take off the pins, lay it flat against the controller PCB, and connect it via wires. I had to do that when building micro's wireless NES controller.

Aug 29, 2017 at 7:14:32 PM
ecmyers (0)
(Eugene ) < Crack Trooper >
Pennsylvania
Originally posted by: Silius

I really like the controller - Both the form factor and the clicky buttons. However, diagonals are a bit more difficult to pull off. And I got issues with the button presses not being registered sometimes (already reported to retroUSB).

Are you having that problem with the button presses with the D-Pad? The guy at RetroRGB noticed the same thing in his review, and afterward I did too. I fixed it by loosening the screws slightly on the left side of the case. I had done a teardown video of the controller, and I think I tightened them too much, and that actually affected the button presses on the D-Pad. (It was perfect when pressing the direct buttons on the PCB.) So if you haven't heard about a fix yet, it might be worth giving that a shot.

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:21:55 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Originally posted by: ecmyers

Are you having that problem with the button presses with the D-Pad? The guy at RetroRGB noticed the same thing in his review, and afterward I did too. I fixed it by loosening the screws slightly on the left side of the case. I had done a teardown video of the controller, and I think I tightened them too much, and that actually affected the button presses on the D-Pad. (It was perfect when pressing the direct buttons on the PCB.) So if you haven't heard about a fix yet, it might be worth giving that a shot.

Another possiblity is lapping a *tiny* amount of material off the ball on the bottom. 1/100 inch would probaly be more than noticeable. Too much and diagonals may become loose resulting in accidental actuations. More and the Dpad "bottoms out" hitting all four cardinal directions simultaneously and creating a barrage of glitch behaviour in various games. A lot of clones suffer from this issue. If you skin off too much material from the ball, you can always correct the mod by adding small squares of electric tape below the ball. Just don't blame me if you F*** up the Dpad though. You only get one.  

Edited: 08/30/2017 at 12:25 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:46:16 AM
Gloves (110)
(Douglas Glover) < Wiz's Mom >
Ontario

Another possiblity is lapping a *tiny* amount of material off the ball on the bottom. 1/100 inch would probaly be more than noticeable. Too much and diagonals may become loose resulting in accidental actuations. More and the Dpad "bottoms out" hitting all four cardinal directions simultaneously and creating a barrage of glitch behaviour in various games. A lot of clones suffer from this issue. If you skin off too much material from the ball, you can always correct the mod by adding small squares of electric tape below the ball. Just don't blame me if you F*** up the Dpad though. You only get one.  

I have had many issues with the buttons (mostly, perhaps even only the d-pad) "hanging" on presses.  Either I press the button only ever so slightly and it acts like I'm holding it in still (for up to a second or two even), or it just doesn't register my presses at all, leaving me sitting there not moving and totally vulnerable. Suffice it to say that this put a big damper on my using the controllers I bought for shmup high score contests.

I'm hoping that they'll work better with my AVS when it arrives.

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:55:57 AM
ecmyers (0)
Pennsylvania
I have had many issues with the buttons (mostly, perhaps even only the d-pad) "hanging" on presses.  Either I press the button only ever so slightly and it acts like I'm holding it in still (for up to a second or two even), or it just doesn't register my presses at all, leaving me sitting there not moving and totally vulnerable. Suffice it to say that this put a big damper on my using the controllers I bought for shmup high score contests.

I'm hoping that they'll work better with my AVS when it arrives.

Yeah, that's basically the issue I was having. RetroRGB's problem with it went away after he reassembled the controller in the NES controller shell, so I do think it's a matter of too much pressure on the D-Pad. I'd recommend using a game with an onscreen menu (allowing for navigating to selections for up, down, left, right) to calibrate it by loosening the screws on the left-hand side a tiny bit and testing the D-Pad until it becomes more responsive. It doesn't take much, and the case doesn't feel loose at all. It has to be a hardware issue, so I don't think you'll have any different an experience on the AVS. If you try it, let me know how it goes!

Aug 30, 2017 at 1:36:01 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana

Yeah, that's basically the issue I was having. RetroRGB's problem with it went away after he reassembled the controller in the NES controller shell, so I do think it's a matter of too much pressure on the D-Pad. 
Is there a forum post or webpage documenting his mod? I'd like to see how he got it all to fit. NES shell still needs an additional .1" of clearance for the battery and wireless daughterboard.

Edited: 08/30/2017 at 01:39 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Aug 30, 2017 at 7:00:45 AM
ecmyers (0)
Pennsylvania
Is there a forum post or webpage documenting his mod? I'd like to see how he got it all to fit. NES shell still needs an additional .1" of clearance for the battery and wireless daughterboard.
His video shows the steps he took with the mod to an aftermarket NES controller, which was pretty quick work. His solution was to mount the battery on the outside of the controller, taped to the back, and he had to cut away some of the plastic to fit the wireless radio. I think he was going to try to refine the design but I haven't seen anything yet.

Aug 30, 2017 at 7:18:22 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
So basically same as I attempted to do. My mod looked really messy and the buttons didn't work as the case was too tight. I'm going to keep my AVS controller stock. I haven't "broken it in" yet so to speak so nof sure if it needs Dpad adjustment or not. Though microswitches don't "break in" like membranes do, so it will feel the same day one as after months of heavy use. I am used to arcade parts so I think I will like the snappy feel.

Edited: 08/30/2017 at 07:19 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:03:38 PM
pezmed (0)
< Little Mac >
Mississippi

His video shows the steps he took with the mod to an aftermarket NES controller, which was pretty quick work. His solution was to mount the battery on the outside of the controller, taped to the back, and he had to cut away some of the plastic to fit the wireless radio. I think he was going to try to refine the design but I haven't seen anything yet.

Hey Myers, good to see you here. I enjoyed your videos and review of the AVS wireless controller. Are you using the controller a good bit?

Edited: 08/31/2017 at 09:03 PM by pezmed

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:15:01 PM
ecmyers (0)
Pennsylvania
Hey Myers, good to see you here. I enjoyed your videos and review of the AVS wireless controller. Are you using the controller a good bit?
Hi! Thanks! I've only been using it on my RetroN 5 when I game on my flatscreen TV, but I used it a bit last week playing Ninja Gaiden III. It still works great and I like it a lot. There are some limited edition controllers in transparent cases, and I'm considering getting one of those if they're available. I would use the controller more, but the buttons are a little too loud for live streaming, and when I play on my toaster NES and a CRT, it seems silly to use it because I'm sitting only a couple of feet away from the screen.  

Sep 2, 2017 at 1:55:43 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
Louisiana
Great review EC Myers!  

http://ecmyers.net/2017/07/retrou...

Edited: 09/02/2017 at 01:56 AM by Kosmic StarDust

Sep 2, 2017 at 10:28:51 PM
Titanium13 (20)

(Joe ) < Eggplant Wizard >
Canada
Any advice how to get these things to charge. I just got 2 of them and neither have started charging after 5 minutes. I've tried hitting some buttons, used the charger with other devices and tried another cable.

My charger is one of those Anker chargers off Amazon, green light turns on when stuff starts charging, use it for phones/headsets and it works fine.... nothings happening.

Edit: Tried seeing if either of them had any power at all, neither would connect to the AVS as well.

Edit: After 30 minutes the lights have started blinking.

Edited: 09/02/2017 at 11:27 PM by Titanium13