Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

NintendoAge 2014 Weekly Contest Winter Tournament Presents Round 2: Rollerball Contest ends Monday, 1/12/2015 at 11 PM NA time

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:54:23 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Here's a teaser after the first ball of my current game... I think I'm going to take a break and come back to it later

(we should have a side-bet going on how many points the rest of the game is worth...  personally, I'm guessing that all of them combined won't be worth the anywhere close to the same as the first ball )

Also, I think this would have won the single-ball contest from a couple years ago, so hopefully I'll be secure for advancement

Tip-sharing time:  
if you're interested in the FASTEST way to score points, once you've secured a multi-ball for "safety" and you've maxed out the multiplier and bonus counter... keep working the "H-A-I" bonus slots.

They'll be worth 199k every time you complete them.  Nothing else on the table comes close to generating points that quickly with relative safety.

-------------------------

Edited: 01/07/2015 at 02:59 PM by arch_8ngel

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:57:46 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: gutsman004

All we need is for Shane to post a few Ultimate Warrior pictures and this thread will be complete.
Where is Shane anyway? We need him to name a new '80s wrestler for the tournament mascot since the Ultimate Warrior is no longer with us.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:01:39 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
^If the way other scores were obtained are any indicator,the rest of your pinballs will be quickly lost. Everyone's scores seem to be mostly attained from one ball.

Edited: 01/07/2015 at 03:06 PM by gutsman004

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:04:54 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
These scores are crazy considering there's still 5 days left. At this rate, someone will break 20 million by the end of the contest.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:15:08 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

^If the way other scores were obtained are any indicator,the rest of your pinballs will be quickly lost. Everyone's scores seem to be mostly attained from one ball.
I wouldn't be surprised.

My 3.8 million point scores yesterday (pulled it off a couple of times) were evenly spread between a couple of balls, though.

EDIT:  HA!  Very prophetic.  My replay of the first ball only snagged 100k points

2nd EDIT: 2nd actual ball -- only worth 150k... seeing a trend

Edited: 01/07/2015 at 03:24 PM by arch_8ngel

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:16:14 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: bearcat-doug

At this rate, someone will break 20 million by the end of the contest.
That's the funny thing about pinball... there is no natural end to it, as long as you don't fuck up.

The playfield visible score counter maxes at 99 mil, but it looks like the master high score block goes up to the billions.

Anybody know if the score keeps counting that high?

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:31:50 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
Originally posted by: arch_8ngel

I wouldn't be surprised.

My 3.8 million point scores yesterday (pulled it off a couple of times) were evenly spread between a couple of balls, though.

You may have a shot at beating CLAYB1RD's 8,494,680 winning score from the last weekly contest. I'm not sure what the current record is, but that was higher than the official Twin Galaxies world record at the time.

Edit: The official Twin Galaxies world record currently stands at 8,253,400.

Edited: 01/07/2015 at 03:37 PM by bearcat-doug

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:41:38 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

I wouldn't be surprised.

You may have a shot at beating CLAYB1RD's 8,494,680 winning score from the last weekly contest. I'm not sure what the current record is, but that was higher than the official Twin Galaxies world record at the time.

Edit: The official Twin Galaxies world record currently stands at 8,253,400.

Well, I'm partway through my 3rd ball, and have the safety of a multi-ball AND a shoot-again.... and my score is currently sitting at 8.8 million.

I am certain I will break 9-million just from my bonus at this point.

If I play well, I'm in the 10's.

EDIT:  just broke 9 million on that same ball... still in progress.

Edited: 01/07/2015 at 03:45 PM by arch_8ngel

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:46:00 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey

That's the funny thing about pinball... there is no natural end to it, as long as you don't fuck up.

The playfield visible score counter maxes at 99 mil, but it looks like the master high score block goes up to the billions.

Nice job Arch, I knew those HAI slots were worth alot once you get all multied up but I wasn't sure how much. I thought about trying to work them more consistently but I didn't want to take the chance of the ball dropping down a screen. How long did that game take you?

Edited: 01/07/2015 at 03:46 PM by BriGuy82

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:53:21 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
I'm glad I'm not in Tier 1 this time. I'd barely be clinging to 3rd place with my current score.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:54:10 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: BriGuy82

Nice job Arch, I knew those HAI slots were worth alot once you get all multied up but I wasn't sure how much. I thought about trying to work them more consistently but I didn't want to take the chance of the ball dropping down a screen. How long did that game take you?

A long damn time... (with breaks and interruptions 3 and half hours, I think).

Edited: 01/07/2015 at 04:29 PM by arch_8ngel

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:24:09 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
That went quick... at least I'm done for the week, since I don't care to revisit the pinball marathon in the near-term
(and I hope SHATTERING the world record is at least good enough to advance )

12,569,900 -- takes a few hours 

Maybe this will be like last year, where in Tier 1 the winner from each week held the final rank of the week they won... I might get a silver Rollerball trophy to complement my silver RC ProAm.

I fully recognize the risk of posting a score like this, since it just proves to the rest of Tier-1 that it can be done, and is worth trying for

Though if all 4 of the other competitors break 12.5 million, it will be a heck of a feat.

Edited: 01/07/2015 at 04:38 PM by arch_8ngel

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:29:15 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

That went quick... at least I'm done for the week, since I don't care to revisit the pinball marathon in the near-term

Wow...that is awesome! Congratulations!!

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:31:08 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia

Wow...that is awesome! Congratulations!!

I'm just left wondering about those two BILLIONS digits on the main high score marquee...

it would take at least 20-30 hours of play to get there, though, at least at the pace I had going, so I doubt it's practically do-able.

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:14:49 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina

12,569,900 -- takes a few hours 

Maybe this will be like last year, where in Tier 1 the winner from each week held the final rank of the week they won... I might get a silver Rollerball trophy to complement my silver RC ProAm.

I fully recognize the risk of posting a score like this, since it just proves to the rest of Tier-1 that it can be done, and is worth trying for

Though if all 4 of the other competitors break 12.5 million, it will be a heck of a feat.
Amazing score arch! I'm not sure that is one I can take down although I will certainly give it a shot,

Congrats on making it through to the next round!

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:27:09 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: CLAYB1RD

Amazing score arch! I'm not sure that is one I can take down although I will certainly give it a shot,

Thanks.  I had a discouraging first day, or two, before I really figured out how the table worked and I was scoring in the 100 - 200k range, and the Tier 2 and 3 guys were already in the millions.  (not implying that the tier 2 and 3 crew aren't great gamers... just that there is a reputation to uphold )

Now I just hope next week isn't a sports game...

Edited: 01/07/2015 at 05:36 PM by arch_8ngel

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:49:09 PM
BriGuy82 (25)
(Beady Eyed Man Boy) < Lolo Lord >
New Jersey

Thanks.  I had a discouraging first day, or two, before I really figured out how the table worked and I was scoring in the 100 - 200k range, and the Tier 2 and 3 guys were already in the millions.  (not implying that the tier 2 and 3 crew aren't great gamers... just that there is a reputation to uphold )

Well I'm exhausted just looking at that score. I don't have any doubt that I'll be improving upon where I'm currently at but who knows if I'll come anywhere near that score. My goal that I set for myself is 10 million and I would be happy with that whether I advance or not. Congrats again Arch!

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:56:20 PM
Commander Santa (178)
(Santa ) < King Solomon >
New York
Damn Nathan, you just obliterated a freakin' world record.
Like, destroyed it.

Congrats on the inhuman score! Take a rest!

Santa's 8-bit Xmas Hall of Heroes
bunnyboy, psychobear85, superbobby, captmorgandrinker, guillavoie, KHAN Games (backup from Jon Solo), fsped09 & zi

Jan 7, 2015 at 6:12:40 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Originally posted by: Commander Santa

Damn Nathan, you just obliterated a freakin' world record.
Like, destroyed it.

Congrats on the inhuman score! Take a rest!

It is seriously just an exercise in endurance once you figure out the table and realize that the unique way multiball works needs to be treated as an "invincibility" feature to be guarded jealously.

if it had traditional multiball and you were playing it like a real world table it would be damn near impossible to do this well.

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:00:24 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio

Since it's the NFL playoffs, I wouldn't mind playing Tecmo Super Bowl. That's about the only way the Bengals will ever win a playoff game.

Edited: 01/07/2015 at 07:09 PM by bearcat-doug

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:46:43 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas
Fantastic scores everyone,especially Arch's epic,world record crushing score! I was thinking that my 3.5+ million score may be good enough to advance,but seeing these scores makes me seriously doubt it will hold.

If I'm fortunate enough to make it to the finals,I'm down for whatever genres are left seeing as we've already knocked out my weakest one last round.

And I wanted to do something big in honor of my 5,000th post,but since I don't have an SE cart to give away (always have wanted to do that) I will just say that I'm working on something that should make next season even more fun. Details in due time.....

Edited: 01/07/2015 at 07:48 PM by gutsman004

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:04:04 PM
Balloon_Kid (0)
< Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Whoopie, got to 800K last night...

I'll definitely be hunting down a copy of this game as well gutsman. Like you said, too fun to be playing on an emulator.

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:12:11 PM
CLAYB1RD (105)
(Clay Myers) < El Ripper >
North Carolina

Fantastic scores everyone,especially Arch's epic,world record crushing score! I was thinking that my 3.5+ million score may be good enough to advance,but seeing these scores makes me seriously doubt it will hold.

If I'm fortunate enough to make it to the finals,I'm down for whatever genres are left seeing as we've already knocked out my weakest one last round.

And I wanted to do something big in honor of my 5,000th post,but since I don't have an SE cart to give away (always have wanted to do that) I will just say that I'm working on something that should make next season even more fun. Details in due time.....
Congrats on the milestone sir! Now go get that 10 mil for Tier 2!

Just don't get your balls drained in 30 seconds

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:59:20 PM
gutsman004 (126)
(Guts Man) < Wiz's Mom >
Texas

Congrats on the milestone sir! Now go get that 10 mil for Tier 2!

Just don't get your balls drained in 30 seconds

Definitely don't want my balls drained too quickly!

This is why I love scores being posted early and often. It fuels those competitive fires and brings out the best scores. (Fires up Eye of the Tiger)

Edited: 01/07/2015 at 09:00 PM by gutsman004

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:08:10 PM
arch_8ngel (68)
(Nathan ?) < Mario >
Virginia
Well, as long as you get a couple of long runs, you can afford to have 2 balls drained pretty quickly, based on my scoring...