Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Opinions on a baseball game

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:40:37 AM
Zzap (47)
(James ) < King Solomon >
Australia
I was considering attending a baseball game when I travel to the US, and was wondering if anyone could give me their opinions on the quality I can expect from a game between the Seattle Mariners and the Chicago White Sox? There is a Tuesday and Wednesday night game, as well as a Thursday afternoon. So would this be an interesting game, and would one of those days be better to attend (I guess for atmosphere)?

Thanks for any assistance!

-------------------------

Chunkout for iPhone, iPad and iTouch out now!
Chunkout Games: FaceBook | Web

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:52:10 AM
paulyshobby (90)
(Paul LaMalfa) < Ridley Wrangler >
New Hampshire
Going to any MLB game is enjoyable for me at least. Both teams are decent teams so it should at least be entertaining. I personally enjoy afternoon games, but definitely factor in the weather. Which stadium are you going to?

Check out my eBay/Amazon stores!
http://www.paulyshobby.com...

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:55:24 AM
Braveheart69 (222)
(AKA BLACKBOXY) < Wiz's Mom >
Washington
Nice ZZAp man biggest M's Fan right here on this board anyways!!!!!!!!! Absolutely love going to "the Safe" for M's games, it's great!

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!
Euro GG set (Including all variants): Missing 9 boxes, 9 books, 9 carts.
Japan GG set: COMPLETE!  196/196
Brazil GG set: Have 61/68.  Need 5 boxes, 7 books, 3 carts.
GG Pirate Total68 different & Counting, Including Car Licence!
GG Prototypes:  4

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:59:33 AM
udisi (88)
< King Solomon >
United States
Safeco has a retractable roof, so weather doesn't really matter. Seattle has pretty nice weather in the summer, so a day or night, both are good. I moved in back to st. louis in 2001, so been a while since I was at safeco, but it's a nice new ballpark, built in a retro style.

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:03:51 AM
Zzap (47)
Australia
Yup, the game's in Seattle, so Safeco sounds great! Would a big crowd still turn up to a Thursday afternoon game? I know around here you would be hard pressed to get a crowd to a sporting event during a weekday, day or night!

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:47:39 AM
coolpapachiv (8)
(Thomas Chivers) < Meka Chicken >
Oregon
Originally posted by: Braveheart69

Nice ZZAp man biggest M's Fan right here on this board anyways!!!!!!!!! Absolutely love going to "the Safe" for M's games, it's great!

Bull shit!  Biggest M's fan right here!!! Life long.  Go watch the M's and hopefully you will get to see the best baseball player of all time Ken Griffey Jr!! And Safeco is a great place to watch a ballgame!  of the 10 or so ball parks I've been to Safeco is by far the best!

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:43:04 AM
OneColdMonkey (5)
(Mr. Monkey) < Meka Chicken >
United States
Ah man, I wish I could see that! I just started getting in to baseball a few months ago, and the Mariners are my team!

Now playing: Punch Out!! (Wii), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:41:15 AM
xARSEFACEx (70)
(x AARON x) < Bowser >
Indiana
I LOVE going to night baseball games. I've never been a big fan of day games though.

Currently Playing: L.A. Noire
Currently Listening: Tyler the Creator - Goblin
Currently Watching: Workaholics, 5 Deadly Venoms

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:48:43 AM
vern77777 (35)
(8==o------ (.)(.)) < Kraid Killer >
Illinois
Go White Sox!! Being a true die hard I can tell you it would be a nice series. Unfourtunatly, the Sox always play like shit at Safeco. But it wiould still be a blast. I would do it in a heartbeat if I had the opp.

Looking for test carts...

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:13:25 PM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington

I've sat in every section of Safeco from 4 different luxury suites, to the diamond club, to the outfield bleachers... EVERYWHERE. And there isn't a bad seat in the house! So much different types of food, drinks, it's fantastic.
Tom you live in Oregon so I automatically trump you as biggest M's fan being that I live in WA. HA!

My favorite M's versus White Sox moment was a game I was at back at the old Kingdome where Frank Thomas got robbed of a game winning home run cause he hit the ball so damn high it hit the cat walk along the roof and fell into the outfield and was caught for an out.  It was awesome!

I HAVE IT ALL NOW NES WISE!  Unless you come across a Canadian DK JR MATH... if so I'm a Buyer!
USA GG set (Including all variants): COMPLETE!   Set includes 244 / 257 Sealed/NEW!

Edited: 06/21/2009 at 08:15 PM by Braveheart69

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:14:07 PM
Jumpman Jr. (47)
(Will Bowins) < Ridley Wrangler >
Ontario
I'd go, as long as it isn't TOO expensive or anything. It is boring, but it is cool in its own way. Nice way to relax and buy some over priced nasty hot dogs.

Jun 22, 2009 at 12:58:21 AM
Braveheart69 (222)
Washington

Hey at Safeco you can't even smell the hotdogs cause the Garlic Fries reign supreme in the smell category... the whole place smells like them! 

Oh and with the M's win in the bottom of the 9th thanks to a dropped ball at first... I digress... we are over .500 again WOOT! 

Edited: 06/22/2009 at 12:59 AM by Braveheart69

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:03:41 AM
antofarabia (106)
(Papa Smurf) < Kraid Killer >
Georgia
Originally posted by: pslamalfa

Going to any MLB game is enjoyable for me at least. Both teams are decent teams so it should at least be entertaining. I personally enjoy afternoon games, but definitely factor in the weather. Which stadium are you going to?

am I missing something???? when did the mariners and white sox get good???? the last time i remmber their games being enjoyable was back in ken griffey jr's prime and frank thomas prime and oh that was a long time ago

They call me big Papa ....

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:04:54 AM
gavmasterflash (47)
(dave g) < Ridley Wrangler >
Taiwan
^^^^Decent and good are two different things. I'm a HUGE White Sox fan, and they're pretty middle of the road this year. Seattle got off to a great start with good pitching, but it didn't last. It's not like he's going to see a game between the Nationals and the Pirates.

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:19:38 AM
Zzap (47)
Australia
Lost me there gavmaster, would they be better or worse?

Sounds like it'll be worth going to, I guess I'll have to keep track of the Mariners from here on in so I've got some decent background for the game

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:40:20 AM
gavmasterflash (47)
Taiwan
Seeing a Nationals vs. Pirates game would pretty much be the bottom of the barrel. And, actually, you should keep up with the White Sox more than Seattle, lol. You'll see to average teams, but anything can happen in baseball. It's a game of anticipation, and takes a while to really appreciate, there are a lot of fine points of the game. There are an unbelievable amount of stats and it's really a thinking man's game.

Jun 22, 2009 at 9:50:00 AM
Zzap (47)
Australia
A lot like cricket

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:00:34 AM
gavmasterflash (47)
Taiwan
You'll also get to see a handful of legends play (although not all of them in their prime!) Jim Thome, Ken Griffey Jr., Ichiro, and possibly more depending on how the pitching works out.

Edit: Chances are you'll see the Mariners win. These west coast road trips are consistently disasters for the White Sox.

Edited: 06/22/2009 at 11:13 AM by gavmasterflash

Jun 22, 2009 at 5:11:48 PM
coolpapachiv (8)
Oregon

Oh and with the M's win in the bottom of the 9th thanks to a dropped ball at first... I digress... we are over .500 again WOOT! 

Over .500 again just in time to play the Dodgers, Red Sox, and Yankees....  This might be a long two weeks.

Originally posted by: antofarabia

am I missing something???? when did the mariners and white sox get good???? the last time i remmber their games being enjoyable was back in ken griffey jr's prime and frank thomas prime and oh that was a long time ago

2001-2003 they won over 90+ games a season, including the record tying 116 win season in 2001.  2004 is when Seattle went down the crapper (after aquiring Sexson and Beltre), I'm not sure they've had 70 wins in a season since, yay!

Jun 22, 2009 at 10:10:27 PM
vern77777 (35)
(8==o------ (.)(.)) < Kraid Killer >
Illinois

You don't remember WAY back to 2005 when the Sox won it all? I do.

Looking for test carts...

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:04:08 AM
coolpapachiv (8)
Oregon
Originally posted by: vern77777

I remember, and it was courtesy of the umpires and some of the WORST calls I have ever seen in a pro baseball game! No offense, but the empires BLEW it big time in that series!

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:53:47 AM
Zzap (47)
Australia
Hmmm, this DS thing looks cool

http://nintendofannetwork.com/...

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:56:58 AM
Baksteen666 (35)
(Paul van der Ham) < Eggplant Wizard >
British Columbia
very cool man! Mariners rock!!

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:51:41 AM
gavmasterflash (47)
Taiwan
Originally posted by: coolpapachiv

Originally posted by: vern77777

I remember, and it was courtesy of the umpires and some of the WORST calls I have ever seen in a pro baseball game! No offense, but the empires BLEW it big time in that series!

That's right. The Astros only lost the World Series because the umpires said they had to keep the dome open.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:58:47 PM
coolpapachiv (8)
Oregon
Originally posted by: gavmasterflash

That's right. The Astros only lost the World Series because the umpires said they had to keep the dome open.

Sorry, it was the ALCS that the umps screwed up so bad, not series.  I hate the Angels, so I wanted to the Sox to win anyway, but It's unfortunate when umps affect the outcome of a game with poor calls.