Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Nes with a hum

Feb 8, 2009 at 12:25:47 PM
Only_None (0)
(Dana M) < Tourian Tourist >
Alberta
My late 80's nes stopped working last week. Because it was so suddenly I kinda figured it was the AC adapter. I quickly ordered a 3rd party "retro-bit" NES/SNES/Genesis Universal adapter and sure enough the nes powered on. My happy times where quickly cut short as I gave it some volume and found there was a loud constant hum coming from the speakers. The games look and play fine. I am using the RCA outs for video and sound. I changed RCA's and even the TV but the hum kept on going. The only thing I have changed is the AC adapter so I think it may be related. Its output is DC 9V-850mA.

Anyone know anything about this?

Feb 8, 2009 at 12:51:35 PM
Marton (95)
(Martin T) < Ridley Wrangler >
Quebec
I know that Universal Adapters with voltage switch can create hum when used on a guitar pedal, so I would guess that the same thing can happen with a NES.

-------------------------
Download my band's FREE ALBUM ! http://thenewrome.bandcamp.com/...

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:26:23 PM
CUSTOM NES GUY (90)
(Jared CNG) < King Solomon >
Georgia
Everytime Ive ever got a hum from the audio the A/C adapter was always the culprit.

Facebook.com/Customnesguy   All my custom NES's to date-http://youtube.com/user/jayrod2...

I thought I was an overpacker, that thing could have survived a nuclear explosion.  -zeldaboy

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:02:38 AM
pedro! (24)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
(Pedro Games) < Lolo Lord >
North Carolina
Unless I am mistaken, usually the hum means there is too much power going to the system.

WWW.PEDROGAMES.COM

Mar 17, 2009 at 4:08:42 PM
RetroHacker (15)

(Ian Primus) < Eggplant Wizard >
New York
Maybe your Nintendo hums because it doesn't know the words?

There are a couple of possibilities here. The NES runs internally on 5VDC. The NES power adapter puts out 9VAC. Internally, the NES contains a rectifier and a filter capacitor to convert the AC from the power adapter to DC. This DC voltage is then fed to a 7805 voltage regulator.

The Super Nintendo and the Genesis use a very similar scheme, only they rely on this rectifier and filter cap to be in the power adapter itself. So those consoles take DC, not AC.

The third party power adapters actually put out 9 volts DC. This allows the same power adapter to be used on an NES, as well as a Sega and a Super Nintendo (with different connector). When used with the Nintendo, the DC passes right through that rectifier bridge, and the filter cap does little work. Now, here's the problem. Those third party power packs are... what's the word... junk. I've seen them do weird stuff on the Super Nintendo (green bands in the picture, hum in the audio). The DC they put out isn't 'clean'. I took one of those "three in one" system power adapters apart, and I swear it looks like it was soldered by half-blind children. The component quality is abysmal. Which, is to be expected, since the things only cost like eight bucks.

The first thing I would try is to get a known good official NES power adapter and try it on your console. If one of those isn't available, the Sega Genesis 1 power adapter should also work. If you find that your console works only with a Sega adapter, and not with the NES adapter, then the filter capacitor and/or one or more rectifier diodes in the console have failed (capacitor more likely). Cheap and dirty solution - use the Sega adapter.

-Ian

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:00:23 PM
EVIL OVERLORD
Dain (226)
(Dain Anderson) < Founder >
North Carolina
Originally posted by: RetroHacker

I took one of those "three in one" system power adapters apart, and I swear it looks like it was soldered by half-blind children.

I laughed out loud when I read this and I'm not sure why... welcome to the site, Ian