NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

WARNING: Earthbound SNES fake cart/repro/bootleg I need some opinions here

LOCKED TOPIC

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:49:46 PM
Guntz (115)
< Master Higgins >
Canada
From what I've heard, EarthBound checks to see if the SRAM is bigger than normal. It's basically protection against copier devices. A good EarthBound repro cart should work fine, as long as the SRAM is the right size.

Aug 29, 2012 at 7:58:15 PM
MottZilla (0)
(Mott Zilla) < Eggplant Wizard >
United States
You're thinking of the copy protection. It was designed to cause problems for people playing on Copiers in the 90s like the Super Wild Card and Pro Fighter. It worked primarily by detecting the amount of SRAM available to the game. Until later on copiers would always map all of the available SRAM in the copier to every game. Even those that didn't use it. The problem is that now you have a clear difference between a real cart and a copier running the ROM. So most games just had a nag screen saying you can't play this game, modified system, blah blah. You can actually trigger this screen by having a dirty cartridge or connector. Later copiers such as the Game Doctor SF7 and probably the Super Wild Card DX supported SRAM size restrictions which removed this difference between the real cart and the copier. Another form of protection used primarily by Capcom was called ROM mirroring. Basically again copiers just mapped their DRAM which held the loaded ROM file in a straight line you could say. This works great to run games, until they expect for the ROM to be mirrored like on a real cartridge. Mega Man X and Demon's Crest used this mirroring behavior as protection and implemented it in ways that were not easily bypassed nag screens.

Now reproduction or bootleg cartridges will not have these problems since you can easily patch the ROMs with cracks that were made over a decade ago to play the games on copiers, or they won't need them at all if their donor has the same amount of SRAM and ROM data is mirrored properly in the case of the very few games that use that protection.

Anyway, we've established it is a bootleg without the need to open it. I'd advise against it unless you have to so you can avoid any whining that you opened the game. Plus you avoid any chance of damaging anything while trying to open it.

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:02:30 PM
standigz (1)

(Chaz Gidnats) < El Ripper >
New Jersey
Wow..it looks almost identical to the real thing. The fake seems to have the label pulled up a bit though.

-------------------------

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:28:48 PM
USFLegend (63)
(Adam ) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
I am sure if someone wanted to make a fake one they really could. I am glad they have done a crappy job and you have shown us what to look for. When I seen your pictures I was afraid to check mine out but got the nerve to look and its real. Thank you for the education though!

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:59:12 AM
USFLegend (63)
(Adam ) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
speaking of possible fake earthbounds this guy is selling 2 made in japan:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EarthBound-Super-Nintendo-SNES-RARE-...

Edit: Both listings have ended but the same seller hassold Earthbounds in the past like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130731400470

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130723616076

Can't link to any further back but here are their listing numbers:

I understand the backs can be changed and these may not be fakes but it seems odd that every single back has been changed? I don't know, just want to make sure people get the real thing. Only one real way to find out, lets open them up! lol

Edit: Thats a total of 7 Earthbounds in 20 months.

Edited: 08/30/2012 at 11:31 AM by USFLegend

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:23:12 AM
DMG (47)
(Dustin G.) < Kraid Killer >
Germany
^Again, the back doesn't mean crap. Mine got the Made in Japan on the back and the back was just switched. One look inside the cart and you can tell the difference.

ETA: Just typing that again because the listings you posted look good to me.

Edited: 08/30/2012 at 11:24 AM by DMG

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:32:23 AM
USFLegend (63)
(Adam ) < Kraid Killer >
Florida
The front labels look good to me too but just not sure... he uses the same listing every time if you go back.

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:59:23 AM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
The back looks like a legit back, though it could have been swapped from another cart. The front looks definitely fake though. Open the game up and snap a pic of the board. It's possible that he just swapped labels/cart shell. It's impossible to say if it's a pirated copy unless we can see the board.

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:06:50 PM
Dendy (25)
(Anton Dokuchaev) < Meka Chicken >
Netherlands
Could it be a revision, looks both good to me...

CNG - Dutch collectors and gaming forum - Classic Nintendo Gaming Forum (NES/Famicom/SNES/N64/GameBoy & GW)
www.nintendoforum.nl...

Aug 31, 2012 at 2:37:11 PM
SsPpAaMm (65)
(shawn ) < El Ripper >
United States
Originally posted by: BrioBriss

The fake one have "Made in Japan".

What if they just swapped out the back?  I do that on some of my games that have bad backs.  I keep them the same type of back however. 

The collection :
Super Nintendo: 251          Genesis: 203
original gameboy: 142       Gameboy color: 109
NES: 232                         Gameboy Advance: 112
N64: 21                            HB / repos / other: 1
Total cart based games: 1071

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:13:26 PM
BouncekDeLemos (81)
(Bouncy Blooper) < Wiz's Mom >
Florida
I got a cart with the screw holes glued before, but that was from a rental store not wanting people switching the boards. In this case however, it looks like someone didn't want you to look inside to see it was a fake since the obvious fake label and the fact that there's no "rental wear" on it.

If it turns out to be a fake PCB job, HoS this.

Originally posted by: dra600n

I feel bad, but, that's magic.
Sell/Trade: NA - http://goo.gl/Bi25pL... SA - http://goo.gl/qmKao... PSC - http://goo.gl/VYlKhP...
http://goo.gl/xmzKR...

Sep 3, 2012 at 9:35:21 PM
LottnerLand (5)
(Michael Lottner) < Crack Trooper >
Quebec
Dude! I met up with this guy he was from Saint Jerome, I saw it and immediately knew it was fake so I told ohim to F off...Sorry to hear this I had posted an ad warning people about a month ago but Kijiji took it down

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:15:18 AM
Moeki (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Germany
just found this one.
He is offering one of those fake ones for good money.

http://www.cgcc.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24952&sid=7ddb8...

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:26:43 AM
Kosmic StarDust (44)
(Alita Jean) < Master Higgins >
Louisiana
People need to stop reproing rare crap and passing it off as legit. It seems like there's a ton of scammers doing it now-a-days, and if too many people start selling fake repros as genuine, innocent unknowing resellers will end up getting their reputations ruined, as well as buyers who don't even know they're geting duped. If you're that hell-bent on making Earthbound repros, then print reproduction somewhere on the label, and change the artwork so it looks nothing like the original. Geeze...

~From the Nintendo/Atari addict formerly known as StarDust4Ever...

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:50:42 AM
TENGEN (177)
(DK ) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: stardust4ever
 If you're that hell-bent on making Earthbound repros, then print reproduction somewhere on the label, and change the artwork so it looks nothing like the original. Geeze...

I think it is safe to say anyone making an Earthbound repro is out to scam and doesn't give a shit who gets burned.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:51:14 AM
TENGEN (177)
(DK ) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: Moeki

just found this one.
He is offering one of those fake ones for good money.

http://www.cgcc.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24952&sid=7ddb8...

How can you tell this is fake? It scares me that it looks real to me.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:56:57 AM
Moeki (0)
< Tourian Tourist >
Germany
maybe it has just a replaced back -->Made in Japan

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:10:40 AM
DejahThoris (100)
(Ryan Winton) < Meka Chicken >
Colorado
Originally posted by: Holy-SNES

In your dispute I wouldn't mention about it being a pirate copy.
I would just say it doesn't work.
When it comes to paypal and bootlegs, copied games etc. it turns into a headache and drags on for ages.
Unless it states sold as is or untested in the auction, I CBF going through the piracy headaches anymore and just say it doesn't work.
Send it back and get the refund... Sooo much easier.
I've never had an issue at all with Paypal and proving things are bootlegs.  It's as simple as showing a picture of each product and writing down an explanation of how you know it's fake.  I've done this at least a dozen times over arcade boards over the years.  Usually everything's worked out inside of a week and the money's back in my account.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:39:27 AM
Lincoln (138)
(Frank W. Doom) < Bowser >
California

People need to stop reproing rare crap and passing it off as legit. It seems like there's a ton of scammers doing it now-a-days, and if too many people start selling fake repros as genuine, innocent unknowing resellers will end up getting their reputations ruined, as well as buyers who don't even know they're geting duped. If you're that hell-bent on making Earthbound repros, then print reproduction somewhere on the label, and change the artwork so it looks nothing like the original. Geeze...

Resellers are the last group I would be concerned with. If you are going to make your money pumping a collectibles market, you better know how to spot a forgery. No sympathy for anyone in that group who gets caught with a fake piece.

ebay auctionsrunning FS thread famiROM thread for .nes info and splitting / rom hacks link/discussion

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:53:03 AM
Piko (51)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< King Solomon >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: USFLegend

speaking of possible fake earthbounds this guy is selling 2 made in japan:

Edit: Both listings have ended but the same seller hassold Earthbounds in the past like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130731400470

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130723616076

Can't link to any further back but here are their listing numbers:

I understand the backs can be changed and these may not be fakes but it seems odd that every single back has been changed? I don't know, just want to make sure people get the real thing. Only one real way to find out, lets open them up! lol

Edit: Thats a total of 7 Earthbounds in 20 months.

went through his feedback and he has sold a lot of rare games with a UGC, several copies of the same.

even Play_eva bought an aero fighters from him.

If this seller selling fake carts, he is cluttering all ebay, cause major sellers are supplying from him.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:56:19 AM
Piko (51)
This user has been banned -- click for more information.
< King Solomon >
New Hampshire
Originally posted by: TENGEN

If you're that hell-bent on making Earthbound repros, then print reproduction somewhere on the label, and change the artwork so it looks nothing like the original. Geeze...

I think it is safe to say anyone making an Earthbound repro is out to scam and doesn't give a shit who gets burned.

Also, i know there is a PAL Earthbound patch that has an intro that says it is a reproduction bla bla bla, plus PAL. So there might be a lot of PAL earthbounds running around in Europe .

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:00:03 PM
T3rra (85)
(Terra ) < King Solomon >
Washington
This is my Earthbound...

Label is crooked, but 100% legit. Click for larger image. I have owned this for over 3 years now, and I've also taken it apart a few times. And the back says "Made in Mexico"

Edited: 12/04/2012 at 12:00 PM by T3rra

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:03:50 PM
bunnyboy (81)
(Funktastic B) < Master Higgins >
California
After seeing that fake Hagane I wouldn't buy any moderately valuable SNES game without seeing a pict of the board.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:08:14 PM
Ipsylos (25)

(Nintendrone ) < King Solomon >
Ontario
Label is too vibrant with the colors, easy fake, plus it's not on properly. And it looks like home made garbage anyways.

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:49:18 PM
Nightmare (0)

< Little Mac >
Western Australia
Yeah, don't worry about the label of course, just never replace that back even if you know it's real.