NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

The Tim Atwood Collection™

LOCKED TOPIC

Jun 19 at 9:27:54 AM
rlh (67)
(Richard ) < King Solomon >
North Carolina
Forget all those games, that $10k chair is a deal. BIN!

But, seriously, I know nothing about this guy except he signed a bunch of sealed SEs and people hate him. Is he disabled?

-------------------------
Please check out my --> WANT LIST (FIXED!)
~ Trading for a Bit of Everything ~

Jun 19 at 9:45:00 AM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
Originally posted by: rlh

Forget all those games, that $10k chair is a deal. BIN!

But, seriously, I know nothing about this guy except he signed a bunch of sealed SEs and people hate him. Is he disabled?

Do a search on his name and look for yourself.  And I dont think he signed any SEs.  

www.videogamesage.com...

Jun 19 at 10:00:00 AM
MinusWorlds (72)
(Fudge Tastic) < King Solomon >
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: Bronty

It has to be said also that resale is a lot easier than it used to be. Send everything to wata and have them send everything to heritage or certified link. All you had to really do was write checks and travel/ship. (Which is still a pain but not the monumental pain it was before).   And your money is tied up for a year instead of five.
Absolutely. It’s also a collection that can be “pedigreed”. That resonates with a lot of buyers. There are people that would LOVE to have piece of the “Tim Atwood Collection”. Obviously there are some that would avoid it, but you could at least get full retail I’d think. Maybe even a premium price here and there. That changes things in a resale situation. Love to hear your thoughts on that. 

Jun 19 at 10:13:40 AM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada
Originally posted by: MinusWorlds

It has to be said also that resale is a lot easier than it used to be. Send everything to wata and have them send everything to heritage or certified link. All you had to really do was write checks and travel/ship. (Which is still a pain but not the monumental pain it was before).   And your money is tied up for a year instead of five.
Absolutely. It’s also a collection that can be “pedigreed”. That resonates with a lot of buyers. There are people that would LOVE to have piece of the “Tim Atwood Collection”. Obviously there are some that would avoid it, but you could at least get full retail I’d think. Maybe even a premium price here and there. That changes things in a resale situation. Love to hear your thoughts on that. 

The cases, 100%.   The loose stuff, nah, I don't really see it as pedigrees/collections don't always get a premium.   I don't think there will be any long term premium from Dain's stuff either.    The Nic Cage (actor) collection of comics really doesn't go for any more than if it wasn't Nic Cage's.   And Nic is obviously legit famous.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Jun 19 at 10:17:38 AM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

The cases, 100%.   The loose stuff, nah, I don't really see it as pedigrees/collections don't always get a premium.   I don't think there will be any long term premium from Dain's stuff either.    The Nic Cage (actor) collection of comics really doesn't go for any more than if it wasn't Nic Cage's.   And Nic is obviously legit famous.
Good info, thanks!

Jun 19 at 12:49:44 PM
MrWunderful (289)
(Corey ) < Wiz's Mom >
California
The idea that random Ps4 games are part of some pedigree is ridiculous.

Like Dan said, maybe the sealed cases which are going to go for a premium regardless of who has them.

Anyone who pays extra to have something out of the atwood collection, I got a bridge to sell you  

www.videogamesage.com...

Jun 19 at 1:02:43 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: MrWunderful

Like Dan said, maybe the sealed cases which are going to go for a premium regardless of who has them.

Anyone who pays extra to have something out of the atwood collection, I got a bridge to sell you  
It’s part of a whole collection. Period. You can’t omit items because they are not highly desirable. The collection is the collection. Not what you think may or may not be valuable. 

Jun 19 at 2:50:38 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

It’s part of a whole collection. Period. You can’t omit items because they are not highly desirable. The collection is the collection. Not what you think may or may not be valuable. 

Well, 

I know what you're saying but tbh it kind of depends on what hobby background you apply.

If this were comics, you'd have to consider is this a "pedigree" or a "from the collection of" accumulation.    "From the collection of" is typically industry people only, Nic Cage being an exception to that rule because he's legitimately famous.     None of Tim's games would in my opinion fit the comic book "from the collection of" criteria.     Now, in terms of the "pedigree" criteria, the cases would 100% fit because they are part of what was a large (or actually two large) original owner collection.    They would be considered a pedigree for the high grades, but also the breadth and depth of the collection, the presence of key items, and particularly and especially, the fact that they all came from one (actually two as I understand it) sources.   The loose items would not be considered pedigree items because they came from different original sources.   

Now if this were a coin collection, I don't know that area as well, but Kenneth seems to indicate none of that would matter and it would all be "from the collection of".

Its unclear to me which criteria - comic, or coin, they are trying to apply at wata.

WTB Cdn sealed black boxes, sealed Cdn first party titles.    I.e. the "mattel" Cdn boxes with both french and english.   Mainly black boxes, zelda, link, and tyson, but let me know what you have.    I am interested in anything I don't already have!

Edited: 06/19/2019 at 02:50 PM by Bronty

Jun 19 at 3:00:40 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

Well, 

I know what you're saying but tbh it kind of depends on what hobby background you apply.

If this were comics, you'd have to consider is this a "pedigree" or a "from the collection of" accumulation.    "From the collection of" is typically industry people only, Nic Cage being an exception to that rule because he's legitimately famous.     None of Tim's games would in my opinion fit the comic book "from the collection of" criteria.     Now, in terms of the "pedigree" criteria, the cases would 100% fit because they are part of what was a large (or actually two large) original owner collection.    They would be considered a pedigree for the high grades, but also the breadth and depth of the collection, the presence of key items, and particularly and especially, the fact that they all came from one (actually two as I understand it) sources.   The loose items would not be considered pedigree items because they came from different original sources.   

Now if this were a coin collection, I don't know that area as well, but Kenneth seems to indicate none of that would matter and it would all be "from the collection of".

Its unclear to me which criteria - comic, or coin, they are trying to apply at wata.

Excellent info. Thank you. To me, it appears they are more following the coin standards. Dain’s for example was not accumulated in lots and I believe all items are counted. The White Mountain collection  seems to follow that logic too. I guess I could ask him. lol. 

Edited: 06/19/2019 at 03:01 PM by MinusWorlds

Jun 19 at 3:06:44 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
This mongolian cluster dance is exactly why atwood thinks his collection is a "collection." I'd like to deflate the idea that this has value because of the ownership: a very grumpy old white guy opened a warehouse door, nothing more. he is not celebrity, famous, or worthy of discussion beyond hobby curiosity. this doesn't even qualify as a collection, as these are fluid IPs with potentially infinite amounts of assets added that we can't even imagine.

The idea of tagging a personal collection is a direct line from the Carolina Collection which for us has significance as it was our Overlords, carefully curated, preserved, and loved (at least, that's the feeling I got). Should we be calling Rip's sell-off the Mailbag collection? Beau's homebrew collection the Big, Beau, and Beautiful Collection? actually, we should be doing this. But fek off with the atwood collection, it's all over the road and I don't feel the history/love.

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Jun 19 at 3:10:23 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia

Well, 

I thought someone had mentioned it was kind of like a hybrid of the two? Would probably make sense for them to define these terms on their website. Pedigree is an item term to me, it has a distinct background and that is agreed upon by those who are respected. "From the collection" I think is subjective to the person, if you know and love Tim Atwood you would pay a premium to have something he once had. I would not, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't pay an absolute assload of money for something that is "From the Collection at the Nintendo Library" (I made that up, is real?) or "From the Personal Collection of Shigeru Miyamoto". I suppose anything could be given the "Collection of" title but its the market that will dictate if that has any bearing on the cost.

Very interesting thread though minus all the Tim Atwood related personal stuff. Someone mentioned he was an enigma (I think that was thread) so it doesn't surprise me he might be a tad narcissistic and give his own collection the title. It was correcly pointed out that Tim didn't name anything, my apologies. I own up to mistakes hence the strikeout and not outright delete.

Edited: 06/19/2019 at 03:16 PM by a3quit4s

Jun 19 at 3:11:47 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Originally posted by: zi

This mongolian cluster dance is exactly why atwood thinks his collection is a "collection." I'd like to deflate the idea that this has value because of the ownership: a very grumpy old white guy opened a warehouse door, nothing more. he is not celebrity, famous, or worthy of discussion beyond hobby curiosity. this doesn't even qualify as a collection, as these are fluid IPs with potentially infinite amounts of assets added that we can't even imagine.

The idea of tagging a personal collection is a direct line from the Carolina Collection which for us has significance as it was our Overlords, carefully curated, preserved, and loved (at least, that's the feeling I got). Should we be calling Rip's sell-off the Mailbag collection? Beau's homebrew collection the Big, Beau, and Beautiful Collection? actually, we should be doing this. But fek off with the atwood collection, it's all over the road and I don't feel the history/love.
You don’t have to. That’s the beauty of having grading companies. They can determine that, not us. 

But saying none of it qualifies? Or referencing IP?!? That’s just absurd. By your logic no hobby should ever have a pedigreed collection, ever.  Also absurd. 

For the record Tim never referenced it as anything other than his games. 

So so much salt in here. 

Edited: 06/19/2019 at 03:12 PM by MinusWorlds

Jun 19 at 3:15:40 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia

You don’t have to. That’s the beauty of having grading companies. They can determine that, not us. 

But saying none of it qualifies? Or referencing IP?!? That’s just absurd. By your logic no hobby should ever have a pedigreed collection, ever.  Also absurd. 

So so much salt in here. 

That is a very good point, the thread was started as the Tim Atwood collection, the eBay listing just says games for sale.

Jun 19 at 3:24:11 PM
zi (73)
(Tom Rag) < King Solomon >
New York
Originally posted by: a3quit4s

So so much salt in here 

That is a very good point, the thread was started as the Tim Atwood collection, the eBay listing just says games for sale.

well then shame on Tyler (and the rest of us, including myself) - we've integrated the term pedigree into this sale, which is what I am against. 

I AM ZI, CHIPTUNE ARTIST FOR THE NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM, COMPOSER OF BOTH BLEEPS AND BOPS, VIRTUOSO OF INSTRUMENT FABRICATION, MERCENARY OF THE RETRO MUSICAL SOUNDSCAPE! THE SEGA DEVELOPMENT GUYS KNOW ME AS KNUCKLES SPRINGSTEIN, THE LONG ISLANG GEEK SQUAD KNOW ME AS ABE ECKSTEIN'S BOY, AND I AM KNOWN IN CANADA AS THAT KEENER WHO ALWAYS GETS THE NUMBER TWO BREAKFAST COMBO AT TIMMIES... and there are other secret names you do not know of yet.

Edited: 06/19/2019 at 04:12 PM by zi

Jun 19 at 3:35:31 PM
Br81zad (97)
( Beck) < Bowser >
Kentucky
Whatever you wanna call it, I will say this... It displays beautifully on those industrial storage racks.  

Jun 19 at 3:35:51 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Well, 

Excellent info. Thank you. To me, it appears they are more following the coin standards. Dain’s for example was not accumulated in lots and I believe all items are counted. The White Mountain collection  seems to follow that logic too. I guess I could ask him. lol. 

Yeah, we could ask him, and it doesn't really matter ultimately.    The terms are getting thrown around a lot and it seems there is sometimes confusion coming from people applying different definitions of the words from different hobbies.    (Not saying that was you, just that its unclear which definition they use).   And all the while, we are all collectively unclear on how its supposed to apply to this hobby.  Overall you're probably right as Kenneth is ultimately a coin background guy.

Edited: 06/19/2019 at 03:38 PM by Bronty

Jun 19 at 3:38:47 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands
Cute. Changing my quote (which is against forum rules, FYI) like that. If I were petty I'd page a moderator.

I'm not an apologist. I just actually have experience on this topic. Tim hasn't done a thing this time around to stir the drama and hate. Yet here we are.

Jun 19 at 3:42:35 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia
Yeah I was curious about the relationship between Tim and NA, like every retro news outlet reported that he was banned here. What was spark notes version of what happened there?

Jun 19 at 3:48:25 PM
MinusWorlds (72)
U.S. Virgin Islands

Yeah I was curious about the relationship between Tim and NA, like every retro news outlet reported that he was banned here. What was spark notes version of what happened there?
He’s not banned. Despite what Pat says. 

Basically the sealed case of Stadium Events thread got out of hand and Tim came in, called out a few people, ruffled some feathers, and was given a timeout.  Technically he was given a two week vacation for stirring the pot I believe. Which he probably deserved. 

Jun 19 at 3:49:07 PM
ADMINISTRATOR
B.A. (268)
(Brian P.) < Master Higgins >
Minnesota

He is not banned and never was, there was a very temporary suspension that has long been lifted.   

This thread is very close to getting locked.  Leave the drama and conversation about Tim as a person out of here or we are done. 

Jun 19 at 3:50:25 PM
a3quit4s (24)
< Meka Chicken >
Western Australia

I Originally posted by: MinusWorlds

He’s not banned. Despite what Pat says. 

Basically the sealed case of Stadium Events thread got out of hand and Tim came in, called out a few people, ruffled some feathers, and was given a timeout.  Technically he was given a two week vacation for stirring the pot I believe. Which he probably deserved. 

Oh ok thanks man! Now I know why Tim mentioned in the ESPN article about keeping his mouth shut about the sealed SE case. 

Edit: The quote was this, talking about the picture of the SE case ;

Tom posted the picture on NintendoAge.com, the largest online gathering place for fans and collectors, with the title: After years of waiting ... it is here and it's beautiful!

"That's when the frickin' s---storm happened," Tim says. "I should've kept my big mouth shut."

Edited: 06/19/2019 at 03:54 PM by a3quit4s

Jun 19 at 3:54:48 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan

... Beau's homebrew collection the Big, Beau, and Beautiful Collection...

Always for sale, though it fluctuates based on my student loan interest. Anything less than a full pay off isn't worth it. 186 games and counting, some of which would surprise even you (who contributed more than one "rarez L@@K" game)!

And who is this Atwood guy? And why am I tagged here in a troll thread? Dave didn't post, don't wake my slumber!

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Jun 19 at 3:54:58 PM
Bronty (65)
(Dan M) < Bonk >
Canada

Cute. Changing my quote (which is against forum rules, FYI) like that. If I were petty I'd page a moderator.

Huh?   You think I changed your quote?   If I did that somehow it was definitely not intentional.

Edited: 06/19/2019 at 03:55 PM by Bronty

Jun 19 at 3:55:46 PM
SoleGooseProductions (129)
(Beau ) < King Solomon >
Michigan
*Needs a better name than the BBB Collection too! The NMI Pedigree collection, or something vulgar, you decide.

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..." ~ Blade Runner

SoleGooseProductions.com

Jun 19 at 4:01:10 PM
VGS_captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio

I'm not an apologist. I just actually have experience on this topic. Tim hasn't done a thing this time around to stir the drama and hate. Yet here we are.

Even if Bronty did, I would love for you to point out the forum rule that forbids this.

I trim quotes all the time when quoting people to just leave the relevant info.