Skip navigation
NintendoAge
Welcome, Guest! Please Login or Join

Music Debate 33: Metallica With poll and ratings explanation

Oct 18 at 12:27:44 PM
Trj22487 (25)
< Bowser >
New Hampshire
They played about a mile from my house in June 1994 at the Cheshire Fairgrounds in Swanzey. We are talking a town of only a couple thousand people. It was one of the biggest things to ever happen here. James and Lars got on the mics during a down period and openly ripped on Kurt Cobain for committing suicide

"What color were Kurt Cobain's eyes? Blue. One blue this way, and one blue that way!"

"What has four arms and works at McDonalds now?.....the remaining members of Nirvana!"

We are such a small town nobody really ever heard about it. You can find it on Youtube. Would have destroyed their careers if it happened in the social media era.

Oct 18 at 12:40:40 PM
Kid Dracula (92)
(AP ) < Lolo Lord >
Nova Scotia
Originally posted by: Trj22487

They played about a mile from my house in June 1994 at the Cheshire Fairgrounds in Swanzey. We are talking a town of only a couple thousand people. It was one of the biggest things to ever happen here. James and Lars got on the mics during a down period and openly ripped on Kurt Cobain for committing suicide

"What color were Kurt Cobain's eyes? Blue. One blue this way, and one blue that way!"

"What has four arms and works at McDonalds now?.....the remaining members of Nirvana!"

We are such a small town nobody really ever heard about it. You can find it on Youtube. Would have destroyed their careers if it happened in the social media era.

Wow that's pretty messed up, even for James and Lars. 
I went with an 8. Early albums are great although they're overrated and far from my favourite thrash band. 

Oct 18 at 2:09:27 PM
MuNKeY (151)
< Master Higgins >
Tennessee
8 this is based off pre Load/Reload era as it went to shit after (cept maybe Death Magnetic) personally I think Kill Em All, Ride the Lighting and Master of Puppets are my top favorite albums period. I tolerated Load and Reload, Black Album was OK for the most part same with ...And Justice for All, St. Anger fucking sucked (but I did like the self titled song and that is IT), and really could not get into Hardwired at all, even though I did like Death Magnetic but not entirely like maybe 3-4 songs. I did like a lot of their cover songs as well. 

-------------------------
Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 02:17 PM by MuNKeY

Oct 18 at 2:32:37 PM
JamesRobot (22)
(JamsGobot ) < King Solomon >
Colorado
5. I prefer Megadeth.

Oct 18 at 2:37:48 PM
twiztor (5)
(Mr. Twiztor) < Eggplant Wizard >
Iowa
i refuse to give Metallica any credit because they were a major factor in taking down Napster.
that being said, i gave them a 1 because "Enter Sandman" is awesome.

Oct 18 at 2:42:10 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Just out of curiosity with you Napster lovers: Do you hate/boycott Nintendo for them going after ROM sites? If not, why?

Proud owner of post #1800 in Inner Circle HQ thread

Oct 18 at 4:12:14 PM
demanufacturedmario (86)
(A J) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
10 for me. I first heard them through my cousin with their S&M album. After going to college, I had way more free time and checked out their earlier discography and I was blown away.

Ride the Lightning is my favorite album by them. And like other people, these guys got me into metal music...which I have since expanded on. There are so many sub-genres of metal that I have gotten into.

Oct 18 at 5:10:51 PM
Brock Landers (61)
< Wiz's Mom >
Federated States of Micronesia
I should also mention that this will be the last of these threads on NA. We'll see what the future holds.

Writing about every SNES game - Volume VIII (#400-351) - Migrating to snesrankings.com as we speak
SNES Set - 716/723 (Casper)
Switch: SW-6880-6470-3131

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 05:15 PM by Brock Landers

Oct 18 at 5:49:30 PM
bearcat-doug (34)
(Doug C.) < Bowser >
Ohio
10 for just being Metallica. I've seen them live and it was even more amazing.

2017 NintendoAge Weekly Contests Hall of Fame Inductee

Oct 18 at 6:20:54 PM
m308gunner (63)
(Jason ) < King Solomon >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: MrMark0673

St. Anger is an absolute abomination.
When this was released I would have said that comment was throwing undue shade at abominations, but now I consider it a mere travesty.

Judging their entire catalog, a solid 7. Judging their early catalog up to and including the Black Album, 10. They were the only band that existed for me for the longest time, and I still listen to the early stuff at work on a regular basis.

Yesterday at 6:32:21 PM
HammerDaddy (8)
< El Ripper >
Antartica
Best. Obviously st anger is trash but the rest is awesome. We can ignore the posers that hate on 90s Metallica because well thats the cool thing to do.

Yesterday at 8:29:11 PM
leatherrebel5150 (180)
(Kidd ) < King Solomon >
New Jersey
As much as I like them, I really don't like Rob's backing vocals live Jason was 10x better.

Yesterday at 8:40:55 PM
chromableedstudios (14)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
Originally posted by: dra600n

Just out of curiosity with you Napster lovers: Do you hate/boycott Nintendo for them going after ROM sites? If not, why?

To my vague recollection, Metallica pulled some pr stunt threatening to dox several hundred thousand users, got them banned from the service and set some precedent when Napster settled that led the RIAA on the war path to suing individual users for exorbitant sums aggressively in order to send a message.

The big n usually sticks to cease and desists(and if you believe the fillings when they have sued bit is often about trademarks, which you are obligated to defend if you want to keep). Nintendo has more redeeming qualities imo, but I can also understand the cognitive dissonance necessary to square these. I do wish they would let up on the fan made games, some of those are pretty cool.

Yesterday at 8:48:28 PM
quest4nes (147)
(jeff -) < Bonk >
Texas
Feels like satire sometimes with a few of their songs. They make me laugh. Ones like Dissapear lol. Was never a huge metallica fan but they arent bad 6.5/10 that ill give a 6

NES  646 (331 Manuals 319 Boxes)
Wii U 158
SNES 311
N64  189
Original Gameboy 48

Yesterday at 9:04:43 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: chromableedstudios

To my vague recollection, Metallica pulled some pr stunt threatening to dox several hundred thousand users, got them banned from the service and set some precedent when Napster settled that led the RIAA on the war path to suing individual users for exorbitant sums aggressively in order to send a message. The big n usually sticks to cease and desists(and if you believe the fillings when they have sued bit is often about trademarks, which you are obligated to defend if you want to keep). Nintendo has more redeeming qualities imo, but I can also understand the cognitive dissonance necessary to square these. I do wish they would let up on the fan made games, some of those are pretty cool.

Got it. So it's okay to sue to protect your work if you're Nintendo, but not if you're a musician.

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 09:05 PM by dra600n

Yesterday at 9:13:37 PM
chromableedstudios (14)
< Meka Chicken >
United States
If you don't understand the difference between peer to peer networks and centralized hosting of infringing content for profit, more nuanced discussions of intellectual property law are probably a non starter.

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 09:16 PM by chromableedstudios

Yesterday at 9:14:39 PM
JamesRobot (22)
Colorado

To my vague recollection, Metallica pulled some pr stunt threatening to dox several hundred thousand users, got them banned from the service and set some precedent when Napster settled that led the RIAA on the war path to suing individual users for exorbitant sums aggressively in order to send a message. The big n usually sticks to cease and desists(and if you believe the fillings when they have sued bit is often about trademarks, which you are obligated to defend if you want to keep). Nintendo has more redeeming qualities imo, but I can also understand the cognitive dissonance necessary to square these. I do wish they would let up on the fan made games, some of those are pretty cool.

Got it. So it's okay to sue to protect your work if you're Nintendo, but not if you're a musician.

C&Ds and suits about trademark infringement are a little different than sticking it to every user that ever downloaded a Metallica tune. I've not seen Nintendo go after the little guy for playing a Mario ROM. Not defending pirates or IP holders. Both Metallica and Nintendo are within their rights but Metallica threw a very public fit about it. The distributor is really the one causing the damage.

Yesterday at 9:27:06 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut
Originally posted by: JamesRobot

C&Ds and suits about trademark infringement are a little different than sticking it to every user that ever downloaded a Metallica tune. I've not seen Nintendo go after the little guy for playing a Mario ROM. Not defending pirates or IP holders. Both Metallica and Nintendo are within their rights but Metallica threw a very public fit about it. The distributor is really the one causing the damage.

My how quickly folks forget:
https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/11...
https://www.polygon.com/2018/11/1...

Yesterday at 9:49:51 PM
empire (58)
(Not me! ) < Wiz's Mom >
British Columbia
First 4 albums, 7/10
Everything after, 2/10

So thats 4.5/10, but since they are responsible for a lot of the modern metal I listen to today, i'll give em a 6.

SW-6786-5095-2210

Yesterday at 10:08:18 PM
JamesRobot (22)
Colorado

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/11/20860039/nintendo-copyrigh...
https://www.polygon.com/2018/11/15/18097081/nintendo-rom-law...

How quickly we forget? That was 20 fucking years ago. Lol.  

Admittedly I did forget the details but the differences persist. Metallica suing Napster is akin to the articles you cite. The difference is that Metallica demanded (and ultimately got) user ID information of anyone who ever downloaded a Metallica song. That is pretty threatening to the individual. Again, I'm not saying they were wrong, but the whole incident lacks tact and concern for their own fanbase.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news...

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 10:08 PM by JamesRobot

Yesterday at 10:17:41 PM
dra600n (300)
(Adym \m/) < Bonk >
Connecticut

https://www.polygon.com/2019/9/11/20860039/nintendo-copyrigh...
https://www.polygon.com/2018/11/15/18097081/nintendo-rom-law...

How quickly we forget? That was 20 fucking years ago. Lol.  

Admittedly I did forget the details but the differences persist. Metallica suing Napster is akin to the articles you cite. The difference is that Metallica demanded (and ultimately got) user ID information of anyone who ever downloaded a Metallica song. That is pretty threatening to the individual. Again, I'm not saying they were wrong, but the whole incident lacks tact and concern for their own fanbase. https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/lars-ulrich-admits-deliver...

It was the first time anyone went after a major digital piracy platform, so the whole situation was new. In the past, it was normal to go after anyone who was pirating.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/nin...

Nintendo goes after specific individuals as well.

So, my point stands. Do these folks who hate the Mighty Met for the Napster situation boycott/hate Nintendo? Chances are they don't. Hipocracy at its finest.

ETA: The "how quickly we forget" is about Nintendo actually filing lawsuits, not C&D's, over the exact same thing. Piracy.

Edited: 10/18/2019 at 10:18 PM by dra600n

Yesterday at 11:36:01 PM
captmorgandrinker (572)
(My Dick Smells Like Chapstick) < Bonk >
Ohio
Originally posted by: quest4nes

Feels like satire sometimes with a few of their songs. They make me laugh. Ones like Dissapear lol. Was never a huge metallica fan but they arent bad 6.5/10 that ill give a 6

You should give Steel Panther or The Darkness a whirl.

Today at 12:13:08 AM
SamSpade (61)
(Joey Pimkowski) < Bowser >
California
I've loved Metallica since I was a kid. They've always been one of if not my favorite bands. They combined heavy with melody and James had real range as a singer. They really mastered guitar solos and knew how to create a mood with songs that had so many layers.

Master of puppets, their instrumentals, even their more bluesy experimental albums in the 90s all managed to allow them to make for a huge and diverse catalogue of music that was constantly evolving. I appreciated how they kept finding new ways to produce excellent music. 10/10 for me.

Today at 5:12:24 PM
mbd39 (1)
(Michael ) < Bowser >
Arkansas
An easy 9/10 for the classic years. I would almost go 10/10.

Reigning NA 2018 Beat Em Up Champion